What was the power level of the Witch King?

What was the power level of the Witch King?

The movie kind of fucks this up by having him break Gandalf's staff when he really shouldn't be able to. Maybe he could only do it by channeling Sauron's power or something, who knows.

I always thought the Witch King's strength was proportionate to Sauron's

Not as high as kid Buu, that's for sure

The breaking of Gandalf's staff doesn't happen in the book.

How can there be a Witch King? Witches are women.

It's possible if Sauron can grant power like that directly, maybe through one of his rings. Though I'm not sure how strong ringless Sauron is actually supposed to be either.

Weaker than Gandalf, on par with aragorn or a bit stronger.

>The movie kind of fucks this up

Is there any LOTR RPGs that do have stats like this.

Statswise how OP was the Witchking.

Would Smaug beat the Balrog.

Because Tolkien probably had some reason why didn't like calling him warlock king.

>Witches are women.
only if you don't know anything about witches are they only female

DID YOU JUST ASSUME THE KINGS GENDER, SHITLORD!?

He's the king of witches, not a witch who also happens to be a king.

>on par with Aragorn
user, I

The Balrog probably would have wrecked Smaug purely based on type advantages

Examples of male witches? Not warlocks mind you.

The real question is, did that elf make the prophecy fulfil itself by inventing/telling it, thus somehow mystically ensuring the Witch King would be unkillable by man, or did he genuinely see the future/have a hint of what it would hold and saw him get BTFO by a hobbit and a woman?

You can be the king of some group without actually being part of that group. Like when people say 5'10" people are King of the Manlets, when we all know that that's a perfectly good height for a man.

maybe it was just flat out wrong and Eowyn was just quipping

God dammit user don't start this

Yeah... I'm not buying it, manlet.

smaug would not beat a balrog. balrogs are basically lesser angels who have been corrupted. smaug was killed by a well placed arrow. and smaug's greatest weapon, his ability to breathe fire, would probably have no affect on a balrog.

t. manlet

He gives a hint that he's supercharged at that moment when he says "This is *my* hour." I kinda took that line to mean that, on the verge of Sauron's ultimate victory, all his servants were emboldened and strengthened.

He had a vision. The Witch King was invisible because of his immunity to physical attacks. Eowyin didn't defeat him because of prophecy bullshit or because she had a vagina, she just lucked out since Merry had just stabbed the Witch King with a weapon made with the sole purpose of fucking his magical protections.

the fuck does that mean? you want me to find male witches in disney movies or something? just look the word up and it will say witches can be male. historically witch (male) and witch (female) are even two different words that just happened to end up being pronounced the same way.

Smaug would certainly have to implement some serious hit and run tactics that don't involve breathing fire. I feel like dragons were invented purely for wiping out large amounts of lesser beings rather than being this massive unstoppable tank

Sauron only lost because the Warlock Lord was on the other side of middle earth

Question - For movies that are made by, and in large for big fans of the original work, with all that they got right and how close they stayed to the original vision as possible, why did they make concessions/change certain things like Gandalf being BTFO by the Witch King, Frodo sending Sam away, etc.

Why not be as faithful as possible without changing the entire dynamic of certain characters and scenes?

Executive influence?

Can someone post webms from the hobbit please?
Apparently the films are awful but i've never seen them or any clips from them outside of Trailers. I refuse to believe they're as bad as people are making them out too be.

I just assumed they were a more 'happy' LOTR.

you stupid fuck read the silmarillion instead of judging balrogs and dragons by peter hackson standards

they fucked over faramir to give him an arc when faramir doesn't need a fucking arc.

Why not just give them a watch and find out. There's one good movie somewhere in that mire but they are as bad as people say if not worse.

Five Armies is perhaps the worst sequel of the 21st Century. It has to be.

the first Hobbit movie wasn't actually bad. It's actually a good time. Fuck, Desolation even has some okay scenes. Battle of the Five Armies is when it absolutely gets thrown out the window though

>Executive influence?
Jackson had a pretty free reign over those decisions, he shopped thwe movie around for years looking for a studio that wouldpay for it, and give him the control he wanted.
Also I'm pretty sure that scene only exists in the extended edition.
I think gandalf's staff breaking was analagous to grond breaking the gate.

I'm pretty sure they had Gandalf's staff destroyed so retards wouldn't ask why he wasn't spamming spells during the final battle or some stupid shit like that.
Or maybe they wanted to hype up the Witch King before Eowyn kills him considering he doesn't do shit aside from stabbing Frodo before he gets BTFO.

What was the most egregious aspect of it for you?

Also why did they leave out the usage of the Palantir by Denethor? Why was he just some grief driven nutjob?

desolation's okay scenes are far overshadowed by the CGI messes that make up the last half

Its worth checking them out. They're bad, but not 100% dogshit.
Also there are more than a few fan edits that trim a lot of fat.

a better question is, why didn't they use the Mouth of Sauron in the first place?

Glorfindel was pretty based as elves go, he killed a balrog and came back from the dead, even if it was a mistake by Tolkien using the same name for two different characters which he then tried to rectify by linking these two instead of changing one of their name.

The only time we can truly guess his powerlevel is in the books when Gandalf has a sort of encounter with him (he mentions it afterwards). He says he encountered a force that rivals his own. Denethor says that Gandalf is maybe afraid of this power, and Gandalf replies that they have yet to test each other.

b-but molten gold actually somewhat looks like that!!

Physically speaking, how fast and strong were the apex numenoreans and elves?

Because beheading a peaceful diplomat was beneath the King of Gondor and was a warcrime that would instantly make the audience more sympathetic towards Sauron's side.

How the fuck does Sauron take a mortal man, and turn him in to someone strong enough to counter/fight someone who's of the same hierarchy as himself?

made him run up the Philadelphia Museum of Art stairs a few times

Male witches are called warlocks despite what JK Rowling says. She has me JK rolling my eyes to the back of my head.

>peaceful diplomat
>tells them his boss tortured Frodo to death and mocks them
>works for an evil overlord
The negotiation was fucking pointless in the first place aside from allowing them to stall for more time, no way they were leaving any of those monsters alive.

The strength of the witch king doesn't derive only from Sauron. When Sauron was defeated the first time, the witch king delved deeper into the mysteries of magic, becoming stronger

who would win in a fight Super sayian pippen or the fusion between gandalf and saruman?

>Reading comprehension

>not Gandalf Blanco

Who would win, the Witch King or Farmer Maggot with the One Ring?

Forget trying to argue power levels in the LotR universe. Nobody fucking knows because it's inconsistent and retarded. What the fuck does the Ring do, make you invisible? Why doesn't the main god Elu (or whatever it's called) just kill Sauron? Why doesn't Gandalf ever display any kind of impressive power other than what can be equated to a simple flashlight? The Balrog fight: How did they end up on top of a mountain if they fell in a pit? Why did Gandalf "die", turn into a white Gandalf and then has fucking amnesia like "Ahh yes, I used to be Grey, yes yes"? How can the Witch King fucking OWN Gandalf but gets killed by a girl with a sword? Why doesn't Mithril stop the spider sting (which is just a pointy keratinose protrusion)? Why didn't they think of the undead army sooner and why didn't the undead army literally win the whole war for them? Aragorn could just make the deal like: "You betrayed us, it hurt very much, long time ago yes yes. Now to repay you have to fight 2 battles instead of 1. No harm to you, you're undead not like you care". And , of course, why didn't the Eagles take them there?

I dont get why Peter Jackson never brought any attention to the fact that Merry wielded a weapon forged and enchanted ages ago with the sole intention of defeating the Witch King and other Wraiths

It it too autistic for general public of something? I always thought it's pretty damn cool.

not sure wtf you are saying but witches can be male, see any dictionary

Weak bitch that got as far as he did on his aura of fear bullshit

Is this pasta? Friend, if only it was 2 in the morning, we'd actually have our guys here that actually felt like answering all these questions, because they do all have answers

The Witch King

is that a cunt bitch fucking DYKE? just wondering

games workshop war game had stats
From what I recall the Nazgul were relatively fragile but hard to kill as long as they had "Will," which is mana. Once they are out they are fucked, and they need it to cast spells.

Its over 9000

It was based Glorfindel, he knows some high up gods nigga. You can trust his vision.

Even if it fucks with the lore, it was a break that I found acceptable because made the WK more threatening, Gandalf important but not "solve it all" (for the same reason, possibly for time restraints, they fucked with the Dead Guys Army).
Also, it makes what Eowyn and Merry do even more crucial. Otherwise it would have been Gandalf being like "yeah when I have time I will smack that bitch, LMAO".

Tfw 5'5
Tfw gf is 5'10

Tfw gf is better man than you

about 20
average human is 5 or so

This. Why couldn't Tolkien give everyone stat sheets mana bars like in my videogames?

Does Aragorn's signature throw-a-torch-in-your-face attack instantly drain all mana?

are you dumb? go back and reread that part. gandalf tells the witch king to fuck off, the witch king takes off his hood and calls gandalf a fool, puts his sword up and it becomes engulfed in flames, and then the cock crows and the witch king fucks off to deal with the riders of rohan.

>You have my bow.
>And you have my sword.
>And my Axe of Chilling Frost +3

>inb4 some awful nerd culture fantasy movie gets made where all gear is referred to by these kinds of names

>killing an monstrous abomination who was bragging about torturing frodo would upset the audience

ok

Daily remainder that according to Tolkien Galadriel is the 2nd most powerful elf to have ever lived.

And surely the first one is based Feanor.

Actually maybe, I don't know if they had a weakness to fire, as I don't think there was "fire" damage in the game.
From my understanding they were far from Sauron and weak at the time so Aragon could easily dispatch them.

These were the rules of war in the Tolkienverse specifically set out by the NĂºmenĂ³reans in the edict of Falkenier. You don't kill diplomats. Maybe it would've went over the normies heads, but anyone familiar with the books spotted this.

yep

Yeah, I love hearing those good old Tolkien geek "answers". They're like fucking cult members. Religious fanatics. It's never a clear cut answer, it's like with Christians (no suprise there, Tolkien was one) -- "Gandalf works in mysterious ways", "We cannot possibly begin to understand" or "Once you read the whole trilogy plus Silmarillion plus Hobbit plus Bombadil stories plus Tolkiens biography plus The Bible plus old Celtic myths plus Satanic Verses ONLY THEN will you understand"

>half of the movie is the characters grinding for materials to forge overpowered weapons

Medium kek

Underated

To add tension and conflict.
Most times they got it right.
Arwen feels more in danger than "Nazgul will shit themselves" Glorfindel.
Is better that Gandalf does feel threatened and does not overpower the WK, we already see him way more powerful and decisive in many scenes, more would be obnoxious.
Is good that we see Aragorn and Faramir have an arc. They are still the same noble men, just a bit more modern.

OTOH, Aragorn vs Sauron at the gate would have been a new level of retarded, unknown to the world. And now you can explain a rabbit sled.

Yeah, except this isn't a war between mortals, it's humans vs a fucking evil deity and his army of monsters, rules of war are pointless.
As if they weren't planning to genocide the shit out of the orcs once the war was over.

1 woman

multi-angle baiting won't work one me, but have this (You) anyway

Don't worry bud i got it. Pretty sure it's bait but i'll waste my time answering what i can regardless.

>What the fuck does the Ring do, make you invisible?
The ring grants you a power you desire, or more accurately, a trait based on your personality and being. For hobbits this is usually invisibility because hobbits are small timid creatures that would rather hide than face problems. If aragorn were to wear the ring it would not give him invisibility.
>Why doesn't the main god Elu (or whatever it's called) just kill Sauron?
Don't know the answer, but probably something to do with sauron being a minion of the tolkien equivalent of satan, so god and satan probably can't fuck with each other.
>Why doesn't Gandalf ever display any kind of impressive power other than what can be equated to a simple flashlight?
The wizards are basically barred from using any extreme magic, they are sent to basically guide people and help a little bit but cannot just fix everything themselves.
>The Balrog fight: How did they end up on top of a mountain if they fell in a pit?
Because it was even explained in the movies that they fell down to the deepest parts of the earth, then continued to battle as they climbed the tallest staircase in middle earth which led to the mountain peak. They fought for a long fucking time. Fighting a balrog gandalf was allowed to use more of his magic than usual because balrogs are equally magical beings as wizards.
>Why did Gandalf "die", turn into a white Gandalf and then has fucking amnesia like "Ahh yes, I used to be Grey, yes yes"?
Because wizards are angels of god essentially. He died but saruman had fucked up and gone rogue, god thought gandalf should take his place and help finish the quest.

Because Tolkien faps to Old English and in Old English "Witch" refers to the use of what is considered bad magic, instead of an actual person.

Eru doesn't like to interfere. He literally does nothing to stop Melkor in all of Silmarillion. The one time he moves his lazy ass and annihilated Numenor, he does it because the Valar have their hands tied and the numenorians are at their shores.
The whole point of the War of the Ring is for mortals to finally learn to fend by themselves. If the Valar wanted they could have wrecked Sauron in 3 seconds flat, but they had realized a long time ago that getting too involved was a bad idea. That's why the Istari aren't allowed to nuke the shit out of everything with their spells, lke you said.

>How can the Witch King fucking OWN Gandalf but gets killed by a girl with a sword?
During the battle with eowyn, merry stabs the witch king in the back of the leg. He stabbed him with the magic elven blade that was given to him, the blade is relatively old back when the people who lived there used to have to fight the witch king a lot. They crafted these magic blades which could actually harm him. When merry stabbed him it basically removed his invulnerability, a counter spell etc etc. He was susceptible to anyone at that point.
>Why doesn't Mithril stop the spider sting (which is just a pointy keratinose protrusion)?
Don't know.
>Why didn't they think of the undead army sooner and why didn't the undead army literally win the whole war for them?
No real answer for this, just my opinion that when given the idea of the undead aragorn was hesitant about it so i assume most people never really even thought of fucking with that idea, but elrond knew they'd listen to the true king alone.
>why didn't the Eagles take them there?
Eagles are just creatures of their own being, for some reason people from a while back used to fuck with them and not like them flying around their cities and villages so the eagles have fucked off to live on their own for ages. Most barely even know they exist anymore, and even if they did the eagles would probably not care. Everyone loves gandalf though, he's an ancient angel and the eagles owe him for something so they only chose to help him.

Serious question. Why didn't the Uruks or Orcs just gang up on Aragorn, or any of the fellowship members for that matter, And kill them?? Are they really so powerful that they can kill 10 Orcs at once?

Not the same guy, but I think isildur also turned invisible when he used the ring (in the movie)? And wasnt sauron originally the same kind of spirit as gandalf? Maybe "god" couldnt intervene, but why didnt they send one of the powerful angels, or just allow wizards to use their full power?
If the answer is just "because the story would be worse" its ok, I undertstand sometimes you have to suspend disbelief, but Ive heard so many times how tolkien is such a good author, I would imagine these questions can be answered with "in universe" explanations

but it refers to a person already in proto-germanic, what are you talking about

Explain the Witch King and the Mithril

They try that all the time, it's just that Aragorn and the rest always fight together and the orcs usually fight them because they are in the way of whatever they are supposed to do, they only went specifically after the Fellowship one time and they managed to kill one of them.

yes yes, this too

I explained witch king in the second post because the first hit the cap. I don't know the answer about the mithril.

Another user gave a better and more specific answer here about how the gods have chosen to not limit their meddling due to it not working before. It's a bullshit reason but like you said, sometimes you have to suspend your disbelief for the sake of a story i guess.