Invincible Storytime Part 39: Modern Family

Welcome back, Invincipals!
Let's keep reading

Previous parts:
pastebin.com/9jU4j279
Mediafire folder:
mediafire.com/folder/47sk9vbmu5w3b/Invincible

and to think this guy was a bruiser for a random crime boss back on Earth for a while.

Damn, barely missed moment here.
While I find it fine Battle Beast declines because of Honor, it would have been nice if he'd added in something about what the Viltrumites have done and will do to his people so it's clear what he means.

I know it should be apparent to anyone who has read the comic long enough but I just feel "muh honor" comes off vague and dismissive as an objection without clarification how accepting Thragg's offer would tarnish it. After all technically Battle Beast was introduced assisting Earth thugs, he was likely uninformed about what exactly he was doing by helping them but the point is these sort of things need some form of address.

Fishtits should've listened to tiger dude, but i guess there woudn't be more story if she did.

>They are killing all the Ragnars
HOW

99% of motivations in Invincible can be summed up as one of the following.
>MUH HONOR
>MUH FEELINGS
>MUH LOGIC

These are all well and good, but Kirkman and co. lack the ability to make the characters seriously question themselves and those motives. There's never a gray area despite the impressive arcs and characters always just flying-brick each other instead of actually sitting down and talking through their stuff.

Because nothing other than GORE AND PUNCHES would sell an independent comic like this.

>Because nothing other than GORE AND PUNCHES would sell an independent comic like this.
Maybe if it was actually well-written
kek

>be honorable Battle Beast
>injure yourself so Thragg can have a fair fight
>die any way and have your corpse worn by your enemy as a fashion accesory. The ultimate disrespect and humiliation

Oooof. I botched that real bad.

anyone else here reading tiger in Michael Dorn's voice

That's a good fucking question. Where were those anti-Ragnar guns when the Coalition was fighting the Viltrumites? And where are they now, for that matter?

There are Invincible arcs that are well-written. The stuff with Mark's alt-dimensional cannibal self and some of the older stuff with Thragg and the Viltrumites was pretty interesting. But I think that the writing has some walls it will never climb... so Kirkman and co. just gave up. Much like Walking Dead, even though there's "no status quo" the comic would be OVER if Mark, Rick or even Eve really died. That's the only reason I'm excited for Invincible ending, they can finally stop pulling punches. Because most of the series has gone like this:
>Bad person does bad things
>MARK DOESN'T LIKE THING!
>Bad guy (Dinosaurus, Thragg, Allen, Robot, etc) explains why it's totally logical that they should be able to do the Bad Thing they're doing
>MARK STILL DOESN'T LIKE THING!
>PUNCHINGGGGGGGG

Same issue with Walking Dead.
>Rick and Gang go to a place
>People disagree with them
>Tensions rise! Suddenly, WALKERS!
>New side character #84579 is killed
>ANGST
>Kill the "bad" guys in some way, move on, zombies must never be explained and Rick must never die because either one would sink the comic

Invincible and WD are an interesting experiment in more realistic pulpy/drama comics but they each hit a wall once they became successful. They will never climb over that wall except maybe on the last issue of the last run of each comic and it'll be on like the second-to-last page. Neither one seems able to branch out and explore different genres within its own world: this has to be left to other creators like the WD web series spin-offs and the peripheral Invincible titles like GG and that talking dog guy.

Tl;dr you either get cancelled too soon or live long enough to establish a status quo, at which your comic largely becomes boring. The only exception to this I've ever seen is in some Valiant comics and occasionally Firebreather.

I have to respectfully disagree with the cannibal self being a good arc.
Levy showed up for two minutes, gets turned to the side of good in record time, and Mark meets a version of himself that goes "let me sink my teeth into your soft, pink flesh!!!"
And then Levy gets kidnapped. And eventually killed the next time we see him.
So.

>be Oliver
>find lobsters and mandibles attractive
>females of Thrax look like this, though
Does Kirkman's memory just have massive chunks missing from it

>tfw ur emperor cucks you and the entire male population as well

Yes

An user in the last thread found my remark, being that Thragg had raped these women, questionable given he treats those on his ship well.

Allow me to stir a thought to help understand the reality of the situation. When Mark had left these people they were independent again, when Thragg shows up I sincerely doubt he individually introduced himself and requested to mate with the women and they each agreed.

He's a Viltrumite, one with little time to spare. He likely told him what he was, and even as short lived as their generations are they recalled what that meant he was capable of, and then he had his way with them. In time it's likely the subsequent generations grew accustomed to his way, as is the nature of these things, but the point is there was most certainly an initial global rape.

Thragg is therefore charged with mass genorape, and Nolan incomprehensible negligence in allowing it. Let that be the end of the matter.

Given exactly how much Kirkman likes to jerk the Viltrumites sometimes, it's much more likely that he'll come out and say his superior breeding Viltrum-bred pheromones won over each and every Thrax female, made easier by their hyper-logical tendencies and their general unfamiliarity with affection.
Or some nonsense like that.

I can only imagine how shit this would've been had Walker done it.

>hating on Cory

Back off man, Ottley's got the action down flat but Walker's stuff does its own thing.
I was sold on Nolan and Allen's bonding stuff because their design was less DBZ'd with Walker.

I love the guys work, but his action scenes just aren't on the level of Ottley. Those recent issues while Ottley was taking a break prove that.

From the thumbnail I thought this was the Snagglepuss reboot

Damn, the man everyone pinned the eternal poster child of a jerk is being more a role model to Mark than...well, fucking anyone.

How would Nolan have reacted if Mark told him what happened?

Cannibal Mark was interesting because it shows that fucking with silly cartoonish inter dimensional shit can be deeply horrifying when done right.

But we already got that from Rex in the green people dimension so I don't know why they bothered doing the same thing again

it's because Kirkman is a hack

It's too bad he's constantly jobbing to nearly every superbeing in existence, huh?

>the murderer attends the funeral
The biggest spit in the face
If the writers wanted me to absolutely despise Robot, then they are doing a fucking good job

Then what was the point of the War, Nolan?

>RAAAAWR, even!

Give yourself a prostate exam while you're up there, Rob.

I guess he was going for cute closer, but I think this would be a lot less weird if Mark wasn't hovering in the air watching his ex and just asked her how she was doing over a phone call.
Jesus. All I get now is the impression this is a regular thing he does.

Thanks?

Er- pardon?

He's saying that Rob Kirkman, the writer, has his own head up his ass.

Which is true, talented as though he may be. The man once unironically compared Liefeld to Kirby.

Didn't Firebreather sell like shit and got cancelled so bad they didn't even finish it, plus there's only like 3 volumes

Mark just cannot ever come up with anything even resembling a convincing or reasonable argument to save his life, can he?
I'm honestly barely convinced he has a personality to speak of.

Heh. Heheh. It's funny because it's true.
That he's got his head up his ass, anyway.
Kirby and Liefeld- how do you even APPROACH the notion that they're even vaguely similar?
I guess the same way you can lambast the Big Two for reusing supervillains and still keeping goons like Thragg and that yellow armored weirdo around.

Maybe he just grew up with weird fetishes wnd since he had acces to alien lobster women and no one would judge him

And he literally never saw or spoke to her again

If I recall correctly he said Liefeld and Kirby were similar because Liefeld came up with so many different characters for Marvel much like Kirby, nevermind that Liefeld's charaters sucked

>The writer, Robert Kirkman, makes time for a whole page that is basically stroking off any twat writer who has pulled the rug from under the audience simply to seem boldly avant garde from the rest of typical capeshit, while simultaneously sarcastically mocking any critique that has come from readers whenever said attempt to be different for the sake of being different is done with blunt, impulsive incompetence that it achieves nothing, alienates others and is expected to just be swiftly and silently swept under the rug because at least it's not the same The Good Guys Win The Bad Guys Lose. NEW and ENGAGING justify the ends.
I'm saying he's so far up his own ass he needs spelunking gear to navigate his way out.

Gotta give Robot credit he may be an asshole but he gets shit done

That's even worse than what I was thinking

Absolutely no one came to Cecil's funeral and no one even know who he was fuck Kirkman he deserved better