/trek/

Star Trek General: Mammalian Nipples Edition

E-books
pastebin.com/qh3fPmBt

So are all humanoids mammals?

Nothing is actually a mammal or a lizard.Like there is no property of "mammalness" or "lizardness" that makes an animal one thing or another. The divisions of the animal kingdom are just a metaphor that biologists use to make studying them easier. I'm not saying that mammals and lizards don't exist but realize that those are just categories that exist in textbooks. Platypus are a good example of an animal with traits that leave it inadequately defined by those same metaphors. It's reasonable to think that life on other plants would evolve in ways that aren't readily classifiable by limited earth biological criteria.
Cardassians are cold blooded and their women have breasts
Klingons are warm blooded and regrow limbs and organs like amphibians

Actually it's unreasonable to draw any conclusions about alien life without empirical data, hence the field of xenobiology...

that's what I'm saying

Watching with a quasi-critical eye, I can no longer take the concept of the Holodeck seriously. At first I started making my Holodeck posts as a joke ("Why don't they call it X instead of a Holodeck? The name is misleading") but I'm starting to get annoyed whenever anyone uses the Holodeck. I just can't stop thinking about all the plot holes, the unbelievable decisions that people make, the fact that it's possible for the technology to work flawlessly while not responding to controls because of some major spatial anomaly, there's so much about the Holodeck that doesn't make even a little bit of sense. And then there's the fucking Doctor. They put a bunch of EMHs in a cave system to mine dilithium or something, but they can't set up holoprojectors around Voyager? Actually, we know that they CAN and DO do this--in that episode with the Hirogen, we see it done, it's the entire plot--and no amount of handwaving can make me believe that there is some reason that makes sense diegetically NOT to have done this before. And the mobile emitter almost never malfunctions; when it does, they can fix it, no problem. It's even more unbelievable than Geordi's ability to operate on Data's positronic brain without actually being a cybernetics genius like Singh was. Why the fuck can't they make more Datas? Why the fuck can't Data experience emotions but Moriarty can? If a Holodeck replicates matter on demand, why can't the replicate and android? Why does that replicated matter lose cohesion when it leaves the Holodeck if it's replicated, rather than projected? Who decided that the Holodeck was a good idea?

t. never taken a biology class

Did Ensign Pretty make it to Admiral, it was she BTFO @ Wolf359?

>There are people ITT RIGHT NOW who think that Kirk isn't objectively the best captain

Explain yourselves

i've studied biology, chromosomes, isotopes, lipid bilayers, aquaphilic heads and aquaphobic heads, organelles, etc.

this is b8, nobody explain anything to this poster, he's clearly a Changeling

Well you obviously didn't study too hard.

Kirk would have had all of the various wars in DS9 wrapped up in six weeks.

>hromosomes, isotopes, lipid bilayers, aquaphilic heads and aquaphobic heads, organelle
One of these things is not like the others

>he thinks aliens would be categorizable by terran biological science

Who says that alien "tits" have to have the same function as human tits?

Watching with a quasi-critical eye,I simply cannot take the concept of /trek/ seriously anymore. At first I started making my /trek/ posts as a joke ("Why don't they call it X instead of /trek/? The name is misleading") but I'm starting to get annoyed whenever anyone uses the /trek/. I just can't stop thinking about all the shitposts, the unbelievable b8 that people make, the fact that it's possible for the /trek/ to run continuously for weeks while not being good, there's so much about the /trek/ that doesn't make even a little bit of sense. And then there's the fucking Holodeck. They put a bunch of holoemitters in a mine to mine dilithium with EMHs or something, but they can't set up a holoemitter outside of the Holodeck? Actually, we know that they CAN and DO do this--in that episode with the hirogen, we see it done, it's the entire plot--and no amount of handwaving can make me believe that there is some reason that makes sense diegetically NOT to have done this before. And the holodeck almost never malfunctions; when it does, they can fix it, no problem. It's even more unbelievable than Geordi's ability to operate on the Data without actually being a cybernetics genius like Zimmerman was. Why the fuck can't they make more Datas? Why the fuck can't Tom Data experience emotions but Moriarty can? If a Holodeck replicates amatter on demand, why can't the replicate and android? Why does that replicated matter lose cohesion when it leaves the Holodeck if it's replicated, rather than projected? Who decided that the Holodeck was a good idea?

She got caught in a temporal anomaly, returned to earth's past, learned to play the drums, and joined the Sparks©

Thank you for doing your best to ruin these threads. The garbagification of /trek/ has done wonders for my health.

Once upon a time /trek/ threads were quite interesting and I'd stay up all night just to see what the next post would deliver. Now these threads are so boring that I have no trouble turning off my computer at a reasonable hour, going to bed on-time, and getting a full 9 hours of restful sleep.

My thanks go out to you and all your friends like Trekkie229 too who work together in pursuit of this noble goal of destroying /trek/.

>mfw watching Civil Defense and the BAJORAN WORKERS scenes happen
Gul Dukat did nothing wrong

Prettypostan

Nobody has answered my questions about the Holodeck to my satisfaction yet

thank you JJ

>it was she
Sub-verbal Australopithecine detected.

she is only cute because of her bob cut and all that cake on her face

holodecks aren't real. whether a thing is a holodeck is just a metaphor that engineers use to better understand ships systems

How would Kirk win the Dominion war?

Brunt, (((FCA)))

Read my post about Holodecks and then tell me how what you just said answers any of my questions.

God I fucking hate Wesley. They should have executed him on the pleasure planet in "Justice" for stepping on the new flowers. There is absolutely no excuse for him to have done what he did.

read my post about animal classification and tell me how it's wrong.

>tfw the 90's are over

I have seen your copypasta on /tg/ and if they can't give you an answer to your satisfaction no one can

The space pedophile should have taken him earlier

was there actually a resolution to that episode? the only thing I remember is that after going on about how they have to respect the laws of the local planet picard decided to unceremoniously beam wesley up and warp away

Stop trying to change the subject
I want Sup Forums to answer me in terms of the kino, I don't care about games or books.

I think I remember something about Picard talking to a space God that ruled the planet but that’s it

By beating up a changling and convincing the dominion that their entire way of life is wrong.

>A literal Deus Ex Machina plot resolution
The episode gets more ridiculous with each viewing.

in terms of kino? what do you mean? if you keep spamming that you will get banned eventually

I love Star Treks character continuity.That shoulder fucks him over for fucking YEARS.

Would Kirk have let Wesley die?

I mean in terms of the actual films and TV show, obviously.

noice

Any self respecting captain would have performed the execution themselves

What do you mean though? Explain the holodeck in terms of movies and tv?

I mean that in the TV show it makes no sense, I'm just wondering how it got to the point that it did in the later seasons of Voyager where every other episode was an implausible holodeck situation where characters became retarded because it suited story purposes.

why did they even go on that planet in the first place? were they warp capable? if not that's a violation of the prime directive

This. He’d probably shapeshift by pure force of mind over matter will and swim around in their literal gene pool. Preaching peace and the virtues of mountaineering.

Then return to the ship he ‘stole’ and return to the Federation for another promotion.

shore leave, apparently.

Oh that's because the writers on VOY hated star trek and saw it like it was beneath them. The writers on VOY didn't care at all

but that sort of thing isn't exclusive to VOY, that's just an example of the general problem
like I said you don't see the scope of these questions

shore leave on a planet without warp capability? do they explain it at all? if they were going down there on shore leave they should be aware of all laws there, but i guess then we wouldn't get cute blondes in skimpy clothes

Whether a thing experiences feelings or not isn't something we can determine from outside observation. Feelings are a result of internal experience and we have no way of confirming for sure that any entity other than ourselves has an internal experience. Do Data and Moriarty have feelings? You assume that Moriaty does because he behaves in a way that mimicks having feelings and assume that Data doesn't because he laments that he doesn't. It's possible that Moriarty doesn't have the internal experience necessary to feel feelings and is only programed to behave like he does. Inversley it's possible that Data has an internal experience and does feel feelings but they don't outwardly manifest so to an external observe it appears he doesn't.

you specified VOY. What else do you mean?

>It's possible that Moriarty doesn't have the internal experience necessary to feel feelings and is only programed to behave like he does.
Did you even watch the fucking episode?
Fucking Moriarty, the TNG episode with the Big Lebowski, that sort of thing.

Yeah, the aliens themselves didnt have warp capabilities, but they were protected by a giant space station "god"... I guess "god" gave them permission to go on the planet for shore leave... so no they werent warp capable, but it seems they were just inhabitants of the planet and the space station "god" was the real owner of the planet. Fuck it's confusing

If they had thought up Risa by that point then they would have just gone there, probably.

>TNG episode with the Big Lebowski
you are going to have to remind which one was that again
>Fucking Moriarty
that was a holoprogram coming to life. i don't think they even understood how it happened. Vic Fontaine is GOAT so leave him alone

oh they said it was a human colony... like the hippie planet from way back, also protected by a similiar "god" that was that volcano reptile they had to feed. They're talking about the prime directive now, but only AFTER they've already been on the planet and broke their rules.. so I dont know why they brought it up. they're not even trying to get wesley back from the humans just the spaceship.

I've seen it many times. What specifically makes you believe that he has an internal experience and isn't just an incredibly sophisticated program. Be aware that sentience isn't a guarentee of internal experience or a confirmation that he has feelings.

>DO NOT RUN THIS

every time.

>Be aware that sentience isn't a guarentee of internal experience or a confirmation that he has feelings.
That's a big assertion that you're going to have to back up, unlike you I'm not into solipsism.
>you are going to have to remind which one was that again
look it up on IMDB, I'm not going to spoonfeed you.
>i don't think they even understood how it happened
Oh so there's no explanation? Great science fiction.

Anyone can rationalize Beauty down to its constituent parts, but the whole is greater than the sum of these.

>Implying Commies haven't torn down Beauty Herself by the 24th century
Trek is about the Kali Yuga In Space

THERE

Stop fucking talking to the holodeck autist, jesus.

>Great science fiction.
science FICTION. As in NOT REAL

It's not solopsist to believe that computer programs don't have feelings just because they were programed to respond as though they do. Tamagotchi's exhibit what would appear to be emotional behaviour but I don't think they have internal experiences

i like Dixon Hill in "Keeping the show on budget"

>it's a temporal-autismal loop episode

I never said it WAS
You don't have even a basic understanding of what makes a story good, do you?
The entire point of the episode was that he was a self-aware hologram capable of experiencing horror at the idea of being deleted when the holodeck turned off. FFS

I do not have a valid reply.

>Dixon Hill in "Keeping the Show on Budget"

Kek

He is a really an elaborate troll

>a really an

you activated my trap card

>(You)
Ahh, but you activated mine

And I'm saying the crew had no way of knowing that he was actually experiencing the horror he told them he was experiencing. He may simply have been programed to say that he was terrified of being turned off even though he couldn't actually feel horror

>aquaphobic heads..

dont you mean hydrophobic heads bill nye?

>Klingons are warm blooded and regrow limbs and organs like amphibians
Why didn't Martok get his eye back?

you are like baby. watch this

Fuck I love that episode.
>we see you are trying to escape your command. Your command codes have been deactivated

>And I'm saying the crew had no way of knowing that he was actually experiencing the horror he told them he was experiencing
It's called compassion

>Being this wrong

>Nothing is actually a mammal or a lizard.
>I'm not saying that mammals and lizards don't exist

>your brain on postmodernism
liberals, baka

same cut same cake

Whales are fish

Where is that from?

This is why I like a real woman of substance and character. Someone who serves with duty and pride, not vanity

why isnt spotposting as hated as every other type of posing?

its cuz everyone loves spots

Is orville good? Or am I being shilled by almost everyone

Whales are the macguffin of the best Star Trek movie.

It's good. STD is good too.

get that....thing out of my sight
It does what it wants to do competently and pulls it off with a decent amount of well-defined style, mostly its own despite the fact that it's basically TNG with fart jokes.