One-off character the writers only intended as a plot device and had no plans to ever use again

>one-off character the writers only intended as a plot device and had no plans to ever use again
>fans become obsessed with this character, waifu it, draw fanart/fics of it, and believe it should become the center of the show

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BreakoutCharacter
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EnsembleDarkHorse
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Whip it out, babe.

Happens more often than you would think, to varying degrees on fan-worship.

Sometimes you just luck into a character.

I swear to God, this character who was on screen for all of 10 seconds and didn't have a _single_ line of dialog is...

Examples?

Yeah, yeah. TVTropes. But they have hundreds of examples.
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BreakoutCharacter
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EnsembleDarkHorse

Allison is strangely beloved by Simpsons fans considering she had no personality to speak of except a more subdued Lisa. Yeardley Smith even said on the DVD commentary of Lisa's Rival that she's a plot device rather than a character.

Is what?

>writers give in and bring it back, giving it a major role
>it's absolutely unbearable because no shit a character meant to be one-off doesn't sustain itself in the long run

Depends on the character. Some have more potential to develop than others. Like what the fuck would you possibly do with

>Some have more potential to develop than others
And some were secretly the main character all along...

Oh holy fucking shit this pisses me off so much, and so many fucking shows do it.

Writers need to understand that most fans are retarded and don't really know what they want. They know when something sucks, but they rarely know what specifically sucks, and they never know what they really want instead.

Oh, but we do know exactly what fans want and most of it is stuff you can't show on TV.

Don't worry, we'll have a new monster of the week soon. Samurai Jack is built upon a parade of 10/10 one-off characters

His games were also much better.

At least this happened in the 90s before the Internet was really a thing.

>Oh holy fucking shit this pisses me off so much, and so many fucking shows do it.
Name 358.

Not really Sup Forums related

movies do it too

well, the latter is an extreme case, and no one should overstay their welcome
but i do believe that if a character is well loved enough, then a reappearance should be considered, sometimes there is just too much potential

Because /u/ shipping.

Ebbin meme

>Animation Glitch from NEIGH.
>90% of Adventure Time
>Chimpettes from Alvin and the Chipmunks
>Harley Quinn as a rare example of this trope going well
>Homestuck's Trolls

This is also really common in sitcoms.

And as I said, there's about 400 Simpsons characters that fit this description.

God this is so painfully true.

lyl

Sometimes they make the one off character too interesting like Permafrost .

Let's not ever discuss the time they brought Lurleen Lumpkin back.

Jack's what happens when you try to make your entire movie franchise about Han Solo when it turns out he'd just be better as Han Solo.

fucking this

She spent last night in a dumpster.

and Lovejoy's daughter

Probably the most amusing creator reaction to such a thing happening...

>"started to hang around with the preppys and was moved to Florida, where she is now in rehab and has gone all Christian-y."

Is no one gonna mention her?

>when it becomes apparent that the fans care far more about some garbage character than the writer ever did

when has adventure time done shit like that, only thing I can come up with is the genderbend stuff and even then there's only been like 4 episodes in 6 years

The romance and drama subplots gradually becoming a tumor that at points overtook every other aspect of the show

>The romance and drama subplots
>one-off character the writers only intended as a plot device
I think your AT hate is missing the point of the thread.

that has nothing to do with bringing what was supposed to be a one off character back repeatedly because the fans loved them so much guy

I'm saying that AT is basically like if they took that trope and applied it to every character, premise, writting technique, and concept in the show. It's more relevant to my earlier point on fan pandering which is directly connected to the trope.

alright then I suppose

I guess if you squint at it and turn certain parts of your brain off... it makes sense.

PROVE ME FUCKING WRONG

>Adventure Time but everytime they pander to the fanbase it gets worse

Fair point.

But TOMMY

Why didn't you use a picture of Boba instead of Han?

>This is also really common in sitcoms.
POP POP!

This was the very first thing I thought of when reading OP. The fans were soooo fucking insufferable they tried so hard for so long to push her over, purely based on the fappability of her design.

/gfg/ was especially pathetic when it came to Giffany.

>believe it should become the center of the show

It happened with Steve Urkel in Family Matters. It could happened again.

Isn't Popeye close to being an example of this?

>Glitch

Wasn't she a visual gag that wasn't meant to be seen, until they changed a crowd layout at the last minute and forgot to maker he look normal?

To quote Yahtzee, "We want something new that's completely the same."

I got into the show after the fact, but it always confused me how much the Gravity Falls guy hated Pacifica and never wanted to use her after her arc was over, given I only liked her after that last episode.

It's exactly what he is; Castor Oyl and Ham Gravy were the main characters in Thimble Theater for an entire decade with Olive being the next most important one.

Happened with Wimpy and Bluto as well; Bluto's appearance in the comic was so minor that King Features Syndicate actually thought he was created by Fleischer Studios for decades.

Either way she became one of the best known/most controversial minor characters in its history. The most boring color scheme with the most boring butt tattoo and suddenly BAM, she becomes the fandom mascot, her first name used as website names or a version of it and probably the most recognizable horse that isn't a major character, right next to the royal sisters.

A very recent example, Hekapoo

Loud House fandom on /trash/ is full of that.

You have people who like the background characters more than the main characters. Although I admit I'd like to see another episode with Chandler, but I don't follow the show as heavily anymore.

You can't really say they had no plans to use her again when she got an episode so shortly after her first appearance.

Tahno from Korra.

No Sup Forums but early on Family Matters and Urkel.
Let's be real, it became Urkel Matters.

I disagree. Maybe x4-x6 but anything'd better than that.

Eat shit. I will draw one thousand nepetas. It's better than anything cohen pumps out.

I admit, I've fallen for this.

bump

Apparently her voice actor did.

Yeah but she was actually cool and badass. Think more Laura Powers.

>fans come up with an elaborate meta theory that this quirly one-off character is secretly the true top villain and/or God of the show's universe

So, 85% of Adventure Time characters?

Not per se, but the hacklett threw the fans a bone with NWMM, only to insta-retcon it.

>implying magnitude wasn't GOAT

>there are people who unironically agree with Darth Jar Jar

See It's a bit too bad because I thought there was a lot of stuff you could do with Allison.

Don't forget all the differently colored hats

bump

You can't prove me wrong.

How has no one mentioned Harley yet?

Jesus, I see threads that say "Gravity Falls biggest mistake was not making Giffany a recurring character"

Like what the fuck would you even do with her?