The strong moments in Silence always found a way to disappoint me with some apparent faults and missing things I...

The strong moments in Silence always found a way to disappoint me with some apparent faults and missing things I thought obviously would have to be in the movie
>The relationship between Driver and Garfield was largely underdeveloped, which really ruined the impact of Driver's death
>That asian dude who reappears alot was annoying; he just comes back and does the same thing over and over
>Garfield holding the cross in the coffin ruined everything about his character development; he was supposed to renounce his faith so having a cross is largely egoistic and furthermore exposes his faults
>Garfield is shown to think he's Jesus, but the movie never delves into it after that scene
>Garfield stepping on his faith to save the others is a parallell to God hanging on the cross for his people, and no matter how obvious this is, Garfield literally has to imagine God's voice telling him to do this, which further tells us just how shit his character development is
>Liam Neeson was only in the movie to foreshadow Garfield's future, which undermines the impact of his actions because someone's already experienced literally everything he has
>When Driver and Garfield was in the hut in the mountain we had some lost metaphoric potential to what enclosure feels like (nitpick but I found it disappointing)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KX6EF0zGC84
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not enough people saw the movie to care, even less liked it.

LOL.

I said, LOL.

The Asian dude that keeps coming back is meant to show that Japs didn't fucking understand Christian faith. They did what they were told because they were promised a nicer afterlife than what their own beliefs did but didn't understand the concept

Just like Republicans.

DISCUSS THE FUCKING MOVIE

>That asian dude who reappears alot was annoying; he just comes back and does the same thing over and over
>Garfield is shown to think he's Jesus, but the movie never delves into it after that scene
This kino was wasted on plebs
I'm sorry Marty

Who the fuck is Marty?

Martin Scorsese

Reminder:

any claim that it was Christ that spoke to him giving him permission to apostasy is 100% heretical and should be condemned. Christ can not amd will not ever give someone permission to sin as it goes against the nature of God.

Who?

>Silence
>everyone talks and makes noise

Most orthodox Christians, I think, would assert that the “voice of Jesus” telling Rodrigues to trample wasn’t really a locution but a temptation or a mental breakdown. How can we discern that in the moment? Ignatius himself tells us that God won’t call us to do something objectively wrong, which brings quite a lot of clarity in this situation. But when it’s more gray even than this, how can we know which is the voice of truth and which the voice of the world, the flesh, and the devil?

he played the asian guy in the film

Yeah this had a ton of potential but all of it fell short. The story itself was decent, but I guess I would be criticizing the source material more than the actual movie. How is the original book compared to the movie by the way?

It also seemed like Scorsese tried to embellish too much on trying to make a Tarkovsky-esqe aesthetic and ended up with many boring repetitive scenes.

hahahahahahaha

jesus christ why do people who don't get this film feel the need to make these posts?

I really liked this movie but I don't really remember much about it. I think Garfield was a bad choice even though at the time I was kind of surprised by how much I enjoyed him in the role.

reminder that it is not a claim and anyone with half a brain cell understands that it is his way to reconcile his faith and moral guilt. It is an instance where the morality instilled by his faith goes against itself, quite the conundrum.

Father Martin who was an advisor to the movie made this claim. Luckly a few bishops called bullshit. Too bad they fell short of calling out Father Martin directly though.

the absolute state of american catholics then kek

Pls crusade us

There were a lot of Asian guys in the film.

>here's a detailed explanation of why I don't like the film
>HAHAHA YOU DON'T GET IT MEMES MEMES MEMES

Not exactly making your side look good there, buddy.

I wasn't sure about Garfield but this movie and Hacksaw Ridge convinced me the man has serious acting chops. I hope he continues to get lots of work and I will definitely start giving films a chance just because they have him in a starring role.

What the fuck. Just found out this movie was already made back in 1971. Why doesn't anyone talk about that version?

Presumably because nobody has seen it, I'll get around to it eventually. I enjoyed the director's other movie Himiko.

I suppose I'll watch that instead. I love Asian women.

The whole fucking thing is on YouTube. Go figure. Apparently with foreign films they don't give a fuck.

If it's not entry level it's probably on youtube, especially when it's foreign, only problem is it's usually shit quality.

Eh, 720p, good enough for me.

>it had potential but it fell short
>the story was decent
>too boring
>detailed response
Kek 18+ board champ

>praise m'lord kek! xD
*sigh*

This movie was trash. Watch The Young Pope instead.

>>Garfield is shown to think he's Jesus, but the movie never delves into it after that scene
What do you mean? It's reflected through his actions throughout 95% of the movie. Neeson even says as much. It's not until after he apostatize he lets go of that notion.
Speaking of Neeson's chracter, how exactly does he undermined the impact of his actions? Sure both of them went through the same route at some point but Garfield held on to his faith until the very end, unlike Neeson. They're fundamentally very different.

The only point I really agree with you on is the voice of god, that could've been cut out or done better.

This movie had an amazing supporting cast, Shin'ya Tsukamoto & Tadanobu Asano in the same movie, a delight for japanese gorzo fans.

Still waiting on that “”””””detail”””””” user.

Wouldn’t Jesus just forgive you for stepping on his image under the circumstances? Peter verbally denied him 3 times and that seems worse

Does anyone know who they got to do the voice of God? He didn't seem to be credited and I couldn't find any answer on the internet. I guess it would be a bit tacky to credit someone as "God."

Yes, but the Jesuits didn't know that. That's the point.

youtube.com/watch?v=KX6EF0zGC84

Why did he do this?

I don’t know a whole lot about the Jesuits. Why would they not know?

>Christians arent jockeying for a position in heaven

That's a good one.

Yes but they were Asian, he was the one playing the asian guy.

Do you mean the aslan guy? Scorsese is God?

Some critics seem to have misunderstood the inherent difficulty of the choice. “Why didn’t they just step on the image of Jesus right away?” one journalist asked me.

This misses a key point. A Jesuit’s entire life is centered on Jesus, whom he knows through the Gospels, through the sacraments, through his ministry and through his prayer, especially through his experience of the Spiritual Exercises, a series of extended meditations on the life of Christ. Father Rodrigues is shown several times speaking aloud to Jesus, praying to Jesus and imagining Jesus’s face. Jesus is central for both real Jesuits and fictional Jesuits. Expecting the Jesuits simply to throw that relationship aside—to apostatize—is wholly unrealistic.

Only in the end, after several searing experiences that include his own physical suffering and witnessing the torture and execution of others, after long periods of agonizing prayer and, in particular, after hearing the voice of Christ in his prayer, does Father Rodrigues apostatize.

He apostatized not simply because he wished to save the lives of the Japanese Christians, but because this is what Christ asked him to do in prayer. Contrary to what some Christian critics have concluded, it is hardly a glorification of apostasy.

Yo.