A rich white guy with dead parents decides to train in martial arts to become a vigilante crime fighter

>A rich white guy with dead parents decides to train in martial arts to become a vigilante crime fighter.

Why does this sound familiar?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xDECawJA5Oo
youtube.com/watch?v=8KgwC9dJzwg
youtube.com/watch?v=B66feInucFY
youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CvkiPS5Ks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Batman should be asian. Why isn't there an Asian batman dc? And no, the asian one doesn't count because fuck me

He didn't really decide to train.
He happened to be orphaned at the gates of a magical city where all men happen to study martial arts.

Because it's the basic male power fantasy.

No it isn't.

>A rich white guy with dead parents gets the shit beaten out of him by monks until he becomes their living weapon

MY NAME IS DANNY RAND, AND AFTER TEN YEARS ON A HELLISH MOUNTAIN I HAVE RETURNED WITH ONLY ONE GOAL: TO SAVE MY COMPANY.

What boils me about the complaint about casting is that

A: Source material is a white dude

B: Characters like the Shadow and Batman also follow this trope

C: Anyone of any ethnicity can learn martial arts

D: Still features a strong Asian female in asupporting role.

AFTER FIVE MINUTES IN A HELLISH PLANE CRASH

Zorro?

In the comics he did it deliberately for revenge.

Colleen's Jap heritage serves as a contrast to Danny's wuxia bullshit, as she called it

Iron Fist is totally different than Arrow because he fights a secret underground society of assassins who can raise people from the dead.

yeah, its an ok story so far...but mostly its about him and his needs. Which is ok...but how would anybody know his story? like, is this from his autobiography, in world?

"how i managed to get a lawyer that would represent me to get my company back: The Danny Rand Story"

i mean, thats cool...if there other heroes need a loan or something....

i think what your missing is: People are bored. They try to put the finger on whats boring them, and the fact that its cookie cutter shit, so they blame it on "white male privilige"

Even if you dont.....you probably would put your finger on something close to that, because of how cookie cutter it is so far.

Some people got mad that he 'schooled' her in her own Dojo. Which is pretty absurd if the opposite happened: the Legendary Iron Fist being beaten by some nobody in her crappy failing Dojo. Identity politics are cancer to reason.

because it came off as a dumb kid show weeabo shit

To be fair, his advice and critiques were really amateurish. Leopard fist? How would she not have heard of that before? It's like that scene in Karate Kid 2 where Danny learns how to throw his weight behind his punches.

>Master in martial art
>Struggle with one asshole at hospital
The fuck?

how would a master of a dojo even HEAR about using "internal force" instead of external?!

>Iron Fist rips off Arrow which rips off Batman which rips off real life vigilante David Jefferson aka The Ratman who used his detective skills to discover Al Capone's tax evasion

Really makes me thing

You're right! He completely stole everything from Night Thrasher!!!!

>love the Immortal Iron Fist and Immortal Weapons comics
>hope like hell the TV series is going to be good
>it turns out to be 95% corporate drama
>the remaining 5% is martial arts so stilted and boring that it makes Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers look dynamic

How did they mess it up this badly, Sup Forums? And more importantly, do you think it can be saved? Disney's not the type of company to just outright ignore this kind of overwhelming critical backlash, it's probably a safe bet that steps are already being taken to right the ship... But is that still possible?

What would it take? What does Iron Fist Season 2 need to do to redeem Season 1?

It's hard to judge how easily your fanfic can be saved.

stay triggered, SJW

We knew Iron Fist was a troubled production and I suspect they might have tabled or scrapped it if they didn't want him in Defenders next year.

Look, dude, I don't give a shit about Danny's race, the identity politics behind the people that watch this show, or any of that nonsense. He's a character made during the martial arts boom of the 70's, of course it's gonna take on shades of David Carradine in Kung Fu. I have no problem whatsoever with that, mostly because I'm not Chinese, so it's really not my fight to get up-in-arms about.

My problem is that this is, ostensibly, a show about a guy that got super kung-fu by punching a dragon in the heart, and subsequently became the champion of a celestial city that only appears on Earth every 10 years. The same guy that's eventually going to have to fight in a tournament against six other champions of six other celestial cities to decide who gets bumped up on the "visiting Earth every decade" schedule.

I wanted a show about fucking martial arts. What I got was a show about some curly-headed fuck trying to get his company back under his control. It's an interesting idea, I guess, one that I might even find engaging if it weren't starring, and I repeat, a character primarily known for being a mystical master of martial arts.

Because the rich, white martial artist with tragic past has been a superhero archetype since the pulp days

Damian is Asian batman.
And there's Batgirl, and there's the batman of Japan. And the batman of China.

all the Netflix stuff has been drama first fights as afterthoughts dunno why you were surprised

>decides to train in martial arts to become a vigilante crime fighter.

That wasn't his motivation to train

Fuck off shitposter retard

>MCU Doctor Strange

I let that pass as someone who's been sicker punched before it really throws you off

When was Batman made into being an Asia-trained martial artist anyway? I'm guessing some time in the 60s after Bruce Lee made "chinese boxing" cool.
Because it sure as hell wasn't 1939.

>how would a master of a dojo even HEAR about using "internal force" instead of external?!
Isn't Chi a fairly basic concept in martial arts?

Fucking this.

You're the Immortal -fucking- Iron Fist (a title you claim with much repetition), fight like it.

I heard fight choreography is pretty terrible at worst and just above mediocre at best. Is this true? This is literally the only Netflix show I really was gonna watch but god fucking damnit they screwed it up didn't they? I don't want to slog through like 12 episodes of corporate drama.

well fuck you I didn't watch any of them because Iron Fist was the only thing that caught my attention.

>to become a vigilante crime fighter.
end yourself cuckholding nu male milenial casual

More like they agreed to teach him Martial Arts to help him settle the fuck down.

But settle the fuck down, he did not.

From what I've seen the choreography is fine.
The stunt performance, directing and editing of the fight scenes aren't.
So your mileage may vary depending on how pleb you are.

It's a matter of presentation. Corporate intrigue and the boardroom could easily be used as a stand-in for the courtly intrigue and imperial palaces of wuxia if they were willing to go a bit stylized with it.

I think the biggest issue is that there is no real connection to Danny and his company. He was a ten year old kid during the plane crash. What does it actually hold for him that doesn't come across as selfish, sentimental, or self-indulgent?

Wing is a Chinese last name, though. Isn't it? Struck me as odd.

Does he at least have some real reason to want it back like the company is enacting policies he disagrees with on some ethical, moral, or cultural basis? Or even just a personal one where he didn't like their attitude?

How about you watch the series?

She's both.

It doesn't. Because back then nobody would've even mentioned he was white.

I just found out it has (almost) no fucking Kung Fu in it when that's the entire draw for the damn thing. I was gonna watch it before but what the hell is supposed to be my motivation for that now? Saying "how about you watch the series?" in refusal to answer the question only tells me there is possibly no truthful redeeming answer you can/will give that might change my mind.

>Isn't Chi a fairly basic concept in martial arts?

Chi isn't real, my friend.

It's part personal but at the end of episode 3 he declares it well. It's his name. It's all he has left.

ugh no those don't count. Bruce Wayne needs to be Asian.

Bruce Wang

Iron Fist is better than Arrow but it's still pretty shit.

At least the kung fu is related to the name and is still used. I can't think of a recent fight in Arrow where arrows were an actual factor. He just keeps using the bow as a club.

No, Bruce sucks. Give Tubby a show.

I had to stop watching arrow because he's just too perfect. It's not enough that he's just unrealistically good with a bow and arrow, he also has to be a 10/10 rich white guy who knows kung fu.

>decides to train in martial arts to become a vigilante crime fighter.

1. Danny didn't "decide" a damn thing.
2. Danny didn't train to become a vigilante crime fighter. He trained to beat a motherfucking dragon barehanded so he could become the Iron Fist and protect K'un-Lun.

>Iron Fist is better than Arrow but it's still pretty shit.
highlydoubt.exe

He stops being a rich guy in season 3 but still manages to have money for everything for various reasons. At least until Season 5 where he has no sugar mama. So...I guess he's skimming from the budget.

It is in the Netflixverse, and lots of martial artists irl think it's real.
Seems plenty enough for a martial arts master to know about it.

He shows up to a meeting where they're talking about some drug they made to treat a disease and throws a bitch fit because they're charging a lot. It's so cliche.

>having lots of money
>being so special you need to given special exotic training that other plebs haven't even heard of
>being a hero
>being dark and edgy for the ladies

What about that isn't a power fantasy? It's like several ones folded into one.

Don't forget

>tragic hero complex

The first couple of episodes lay this one on really hard.

>show about martial arts masters
>they constantly drop their hands when kicking

And now you'll notice it too.

Bullshit. My power fantasy is to be a mysterious quiet and skilled guy like Driver from Drive and to have a manic pixie girl fall for me.

I'm with you my friend. If there is a season 2, they first of all need to get the same stunt team from Daredevil, or at least a better one than they have now. These fights were so fucking lackluster. Hopefully Finn has been doing some serious training so his movements look more natural. They also need to stop being scared of the mysticism and embrace it. I was hoping The Bride of Nine Spiders was actually gonna be an immortal weapon, not some random assassin bitch who knows acupuncture.

Why couldn't they have hired an actual martial artist to play Danny?

They probably thought, not unreasonably, it would be easier to teach an actor to fake martial arts than a martial artist to act. The problem is they forgot to hire a drill sergeant from Hong Kong to whip the cast into shape and choreograph the fights.

Well the company was trying to screw him out of his inheritance and were trying to force him to legally change his name then be under permanent restraining order from high ranking staff members.

She was born in China and after her mom died she was shipped off to her uncle who lived in Japan while she was very young. That's why when Danny tries talking to her in Chinese she says she hasn't spoken Chinese in a very long time and to speak to her in Japanese or English instead.

But there are plenty of martial arts actors around. And it's not like Finn's performance was anything to write home about. It had about as much to it as Scott Adkins has, but at least he can actually do the stunts.

Name a martial artist master who can act through 12 52 minute episodes and still be a compelling character.

>People that started reading with Brubaker/Fraction's run bitching that the show doesn't start there

Dude, Danny having to deal with Harold "Total Sonofabitch" Meachum is core Iron Fist. Sorry that the big fight with the businessman had been resolved by the time your balls dropped and you started reading comics, but it's still a huge part of the character's history.

Jet Li but he's an old asian guy and you don't need a master to play a master just find an actor with at least a brown, red, or first degree black belt.

It's no worse than Jessica Jones or Luke Cage.

Still better than Daredevil Season 2.

And lightyears past whatever the fuck Agents of SHIELD turned into.

>An American orphan is discovered by a secret clan of Asian warriors who take him in as one of their own and teach him their martial arts.

Wait a second, this is just the premise to Beverly Hills Ninja!

Don't forget "Moon Knight" and poor mans Batman "Daredevil"

Is this what we're doing now?

No, Daredevil does.
Iron Fist fights dragons, martial artists from other dimensions, and a sorcerer revered as a god from said dimension.

Why is the race necessary to add in?
If this was a black guy itd still be identicle to batman
Maybe... just maybe... The racists arent who we think they are
>really gets the neurons firing

But Batman is white? Isn't he? Some people got me questioning.

WHOA DUDE THAT'S DEEP.

MAYBE OBAMA WAS THE REAL HITLER THE WHOLE TIME.

youtube.com/watch?v=xDECawJA5Oo

Christ, even Arrow had better fight scenes than this.

>Inb4 cherry picking

Prove me wrong and show me a better one from the show then.

so? The other Netflix shows knew which parts of the characters' long history to start with. Why did they had to faf about with this one?

Looks like a 90s B-movie.

And that stops it from being a power fantasy how? Or can you just not read and follow a conversation?

I know? The number of jump cuts is nauseating. I also sense that they're going with making it seem like the kung fu is weightless and graceful but it just makes it look floaty and lack impact

because we elected him president

Show was surprisingly good given the shit reception but certainly not great. I liked it more than Luke Cage, but its certainly a bit of a waste of the concept.

Seems familiar.
youtube.com/watch?v=8KgwC9dJzwg

an oppressed minority learned martial arts in order to be accepted, and upon returning to his homeland discovered he is the heir to a fortune in a place where his people are the majority.

it's practically a changeling fantasy.

As a non-comic reader I will NEVER understand Sup Forums's opinions.

From a secondary fan perspective daredevil season 2 was a thousand times better than Jessica Jones or especially Luke Cage/Iron Fist.

Also
1. Korra was a good show - particularly part 3. Although not as got as the Last Air-bender.
2. Book 3 of Last Airbender is miles above book 1.
3.Steven Universe is fucking shit.
4. Days of Future Past and First Class were the best xmen movies by a mile.
5. Guardians of the galaxy is cringe-worthily unfunny.

>owner of a big company
>fights criminal scums and nindjas without wearing a fucking mask

What is wrong with his uniform? He would look like a "human" teenage mutant ninja turtle in live action?

youtube.com/watch?v=B66feInucFY
youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CvkiPS5Ks

Why the hell that they didn't get somebody from Daredevil to do a fight scene?

>I wanted a show about fucking martial arts. What I got was a show about some curly-headed fuck trying to get his company back under his control.
To be perfectly fair this was literally the first thing Iron Fist did in the comics when he came back to the mortal realm.

I have no problem whatsoever with pursuing this angle.

Samurai Flamenco.

I like this so far, but I find it a bit hard to swallow that he doesn't have a DNA sample on file given the timeframe this is occurring in. If he was old enough to own an iPod at 10, he was old enough to be gene-typed in his medical records.

This

I'm totally fine not wearing a costume but not wearing cool Iron Fist mask, fuck this shit.

Yeah I thought this was stupid as fuck especially since:
a) The director said he never wears the costume because there isn't ever a scenario where he would need to.

and

b) If they had let him wear the costume they could have gotten a stunt double to do all the fight scenes.

>master of martial arts
>struggles against man in hospital and in the truck

>master of chi
>doesn't use chi to heal himself or others just so they can shoehorn rosario dawson into another fucking show

>able to telepathically communicate thoughts and feelings into others
>never things to use this ability on his friends to prove to them he wasn't lying in episodes 1 or 2

Something ain't right here.