How the fuck did this movie make so much money? It genuinely baffles me

How the fuck did this movie make so much money? It genuinely baffles me.

It was a new IP and barely anyone talked about it when it came out, yet it made about double the money of other much more talked about franchises like Avengers and the last Harry Potter movie. Even now no one really cares about it besides based Avatar 2 poster. 3 billion fucking dollars.

The 3D obviously
Plus it did well at cathering to all age groups

Avatar still sold way more tickets than Avengers or Harry Potter so the 3D argument doesnt go too far.

The true answer was that it was a great movie that was unlike anything people had seen before. It did pretty poorly the first two weekends (it's opening weekend had people calling it a bust), but as more people saw it, hype grew.

It's basically the opposite of todays cheaply made front-loaded studio hype machine tentpoles.

>Barely anyone talked about it when it came out

How fucking old are you? Avatar was one of the most talked about movies of 2010 and late 2009. I remember people still talking about Avatar two years after it came out.

>and barely anyone talked about it when it came out

WAAAAT

hype for avatar was massive when it came out. Literally everyone was talking about it, even people who doesn't go to cinema went for avatar.

>Barely anyone talked about it

Your average basement dweller ladies and gentlemen

>barely anyone talked about it when it came out

say what

the 3D angle was central to it, not so with those other two
foreign marketability was definitely a factor. movies that succeed internationally are almost helped by simplicity, exaggeration, and visual sotrytelling because they translate well

>the 3D argument doesn't go too far

It was the first "real" 3D though, that alone attracted the masses. It felt like a theme park ride and therefore got a lot of people going for a 2nd viewing

Picrelated (great movie) is the typical cheap crap we used to get; a few 3d CGI objects here and there

>james cameron and sigourney weaver reunited
>came at beginning of the 3d/imax craze
>stephen lang badassery
>alien sex
>space dinosaurs

How could this had not sold over 3 billion dollars?

yo u got it u

It changed cinema forever (or for about 5 years), you retard.

Avengers and Harry Potter didn't change shit.

The 3D was novel at the time (and done right), and the tickets were more expensive.

The movie wasn't bad. It was just bland and forgettable, but it was enjoyable because of the visuals.

Cry more

James Cameron + Media hype

It was sold as this revolutionary visual experience.

It was just shit

I don't even like this film, I just don't get why he thinks it wasn't talked about. It was the most popular movie for a reason; because it was the first "serious" 3D movie and because people thought it looked visually stunning.

What

>It did pretty poorly the first two weekends

Yeah that second weekend where it literally dropped only 1.8% was particularly poor.

False. Everyone and their mother was hyped as fuck about it when it came out.

Original Idea + flawless execution.
Cameron was ahead of his time.

I fucking hate Smufvatar but the hype was real.

>Avatar
>Original Idea

For a high budget feature length film, yes.

Being tied to a big franchise helps sell tickets, but to reach the absolute wildest possible audience, it actually helps to not be tied to an outside source
>Hey wanna watch Harry Potter
Eh I haven’t read any Harry Potter books, I’m not really a fan of the franchise
>Hey wanna watch Marvel
Eh I haven’t read any Marvel books, I’m not really a fan of the franchise
>Hey wanna watch Abatap
What’s that?
>it’s a new thing, an original story. It’s the biggest movie ever and it uses state of the art technology for its special effects. It’s by the guy who Terminator, Aliens and Titanic.
Holy shit, James Based Cameron? I’m fucking down!

>barely anyone talked about it

What, in your WoW guild?

>barely anyone talked about it
increase your circle of friends

>barely anyone talked about it when it came out,
where the fuck did you live? Under a rock?

Star Wars did the same thing.

Avatar sparked an interest from the start.

I didn't watch it because of the 3D, it just looked cool.

>It genuinely baffles me.
You're not too bright. It was a theme park-like experience. The script was tangential to the effectively immersive experience of seeing it live. '3D' doesnt do it justice, as every movie is mangled to be 3D in post now. Cameron's about the only director to make it something more.

I miss 2009-10, Lads.
I Miss Being 14-15...

Everyone talked about it. I remember seeing it with my dad and we didn't go to the kinoplex that much.

Meh. When one of the earliest movies came out which shows a steam train moving towards the camera, the audience of the time jumped up and screamed. Today, we look on it with amusement. Similarly, Avatar was one of those movies that depended solely on the 3D gimmick. Unless they top it with full body sensory experience for Avatar 2, it won't make the same amount of money.

>implying Jim hasn't spent the last 8 years discovering Pandora and creating Avatar technology

>>Avatar still sold way more tickets than Avengers or Harry Potter so the 3D argument doesnt go too far.
>How the fuck did this movie make so much money? It genuinely baffles me.
>It was a new IP and barely anyone talked about it when it came out
This is how I know you're some underage faggot.

Good 3D. No one had seen 3D like that before and everyone told their friends and relatives to check it out.

What other movies were released at the same time?

I remember there not being much of a choice. Audiences will always flock to see the big action epics that dont skimp on budget.

it was the most pumped movie ever, for 5 straight years we were hearing about this revolutionary new mega-blockbuster by the TITANIC and TERMINATOR director. oh, and it will be in 3D! oh, and it will be the most expensive movie ever! i swear a god, every 2 weeks there was a carefully structured "update" on avatar, they literally conditioned and rewired everyone's brain into watching the damn movie when it comes out. even the people i know who don't give a shit about movies saw avatar, lol.