Why do people pretend to like Hitchcock? his movies are trash

Why do people pretend to like Hitchcock? his movies are trash.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xgl6t8GJiLo
youtube.com/watch?v=MrktxWUgcyA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MY NAME IS ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Don't you have anything better to do other than make low-tier bait threads?

Not bait. Honestly think his movies are dull and unremarkable. Back in the day critics used to call his movies pulp, he was basically the M. Night Shamyalan of his generation.

Hitchcock45 here

Because at first it was irony but thanks to poes law the constant influx of newfags were unable to see that which led to them believing it in an attempt to fit in

Personally I think it's part of "le wrong generation" thing. Basically tasteless boomer plebs really liked Hitchcock, so that makes dumb teens think that he is so classy old timer auteur.

You should both kill yourselves.

Ah yes the standard response of the """intellectual""" Hitchcock fan.

He didn't make a single bad movie
Prove me wrong.

Rear Window > your fav film

It's impossible to convince you otherwise, you're just too retarded. It would be like trying to explain color to a blind person. Just remove yourself from the gene pool and save me the trouble.

you have no understanding of the history of film and you should leave this board until you're older and more mature :^)

>bahhhh wahhhhh you're wrong about my favorite meme director because i said so wahhhh

>his movies are trash
>his movies are dull and unremarkable
Back these statements up. I expect no less than 400 words.

>Ah yes the standard response of the """intellectual""" Hitchcock fan.

was there anything intellectual in your random plebeian opinion my darling? "the wrong generation thing" perhaps was supposed to be intellectual?
please do feel free to develop your so called " ideas" further, because right now it's all about your opinion and absolutely nothing about intellect

I don't like the overly-written dialogue in his movies. His films are mostly interested in human psychology and allowing the viewer to experience the characters' point-of-view vicariously. There's a certain oddness about all his films that is hard to define. Something to do with the German Expressionistic style of composing and editing, mixed with his particular Englishness and then mixed with Hollywood material/techniques. Pretty unique.

S E E T H I N G

Honestly, not a fan. He was a good technician but his movies were cold!!!FACT!!!

please direct me to a more influential film director of his time. he basically created popular cinema, the way we see film today. he was very directly responsible for the transfer out of the golden age, which is why many contemporaries didn't like him, such as orson welles. hell, he even popularized zooming while panning opposite, now known as the "hitchcock technique".

please watch more work that came before him and see what he did before everyone else.

I watched rear window many years ago. It's the only hitchcock film I've watched. I enjoyed it.

>allowing the viewer to experience the characters' point-of-view vicariously

Yet his most famous movies completely manipulate the flow of information at a script level. Rear Window, Psycho, Vertigo to name a few. The character's POV is a trap in all of these. The protagonists think they know but they don't. The audience thinks it knows but it doesn't. Not until the fifth reel.

Prefer Dial M

Captain America civil war > vertigo

Agreed. Even his best (Vertigo) is slow and boring. I'm especially amused by critics pretending The Birds isn't Snakes on a Plane tier trash. Most overrated director of all time.

But he wants you to identify with the confused protagonist and feel and experience what they do.

>Rear Window > your fav film
Critics love Hitchcock, so all this slow and tedious setup must be setting up a clever twist!
Nope, the murderer is retarded and everything proceeds in the most straightforward and boring way possible.

>Not only didnt it have any explosions. It didnt even have any quips!

Tokyo Story is better than everything Hitchcock directed, and it's about as far from explosions and quips as you can get.

Ozu's failure as an artist is a reflection of the Japanese people as a collective lacking empathy and conception of the numinous. His films lack 'that spark of emotive connection' because his people lack the internal awareness and emotional volatility that permit European art to communicate on a more profound and abstract level, just as they lack the ability to relativise their experience of reality. The results – as women are incapable of making art about anything other than their vaginas, so too are the Japs incapable of making art about anything other than being Japs.

Characters in his films act like real people, unlike Hitchcock's walking plot devices.

>valuing realism

yes, and that's an integral part of his style. He lures and ties both audience and protagonists at the same time. The dénouement, the final unknotting is therefore more shocking and memorable.
He pushes that style to absurd levels at times, in North by Northwest he doesn't even bother to explain what is the mcguffin in it. Or in other words the ride matters more than the destination.

Directors better than Hitchcock:
Eisenstein
Griffith
Murnau
Flaherty
Welles
Ford
Pabst
Dovzhenko

>lures and ties
Art is not about manipulation.

>please direct me to a more influential film director of his time

Boomers were too young to be watching prime Hitchcock

>valuing b-movie trash

Fuck you, Hitchcock is one of the classic directors who isn't overrated beyond belief and his most well known movies are all really solid. The only one I didn't really care for was Vertigo.

>what is tv

You value entertainment and ineptitude.

20 year old watching repeats of 20 year old movies don't account for their popularity, either now or in the 70s.

What is your point. Hitchcock extended his mass popularity by branding himself on tv

>Something to do with the German Expressionistic style of composing and editing
literally what his flicks are shot like plays, lighting and everything

That boomers don't account for his popularity: the oldest boomers were 20 years old when Alfred Hitchcock presents went off the air. People seem to want the boomer generation to be much larger than it was; I saw multiple posts today calling William Shatner a boomer and I've also seen 40 year olds called boomers

I hate it when plebs proudly display their ignorance. Hitchcock is one of the most important/influential directors of all time. Every single thriller director of the last 50 years owes a lot to Hitchcock. If you hate Hitchcock you're either a pseudo-intellectual or a retard who doesn't know anything about the history of cinema.

>Every single thriller director of the last 50 years owesa lot to Hitchcock
And not a single one of worth. Some influence.

Name your top 10 favorite directors.

What are you smoking? They are some of the most cinematic films around. Close-ups, shock-cuts, the 'Vertigo shot,' tracking cameras. I've never seen him make a film like a play, or 'pictures of people talking.'

So you hate the thriller genre?

no one likes Birds. or Marnie. or any of his later stuff.

He made like 50 movies he's not infallible.

What's with Sup Forums's hateboner for Hitchcock? He's a fantastic Director

Hey Griffithfag, no one cares about you. Go make your own thread.

>I've never seen him make a film like a play
Rear Window is a literal set, you don't know what you're talking about.
>I've never seen him make a film like a play, or 'pictures of people talking
That's funny because his flicks have more dialogue than most old movies.

Oops!

>Rear Window is a literal set
Oh wow, a single film. Let's ignore the fact Hitchcock made DOZENS of films. You really destroyed that user.

I'm not a kid

They are terrible and overrated.

You misunderstand, I'm not trying to insult D.W. Griffith. I'm fully aware D.W. is an extremely important director. I'm telling you to go away because you aren't adding anything to this thread. You're just autisticly rambling about silent era directors.

>made DOZENS of films
most garbage

>I'm fully aware D.W. is an extremely important director
I doubt that

Oh wow, a single image. You've once again totally annihilated people who like Hitchcock. You aren't cherrypicking at all.

>Rear Window is a literal set, you don't know what you're talking about.
Whether it's a set or not, what matters is how he films it. Most of his films are shot on sets because he needed to control everything. That's why he used rear projection so much.

youtube.com/watch?v=Xgl6t8GJiLo

You do.

>You're just autisticly rambling about silent era directors.
The silent is the closest to art

Why are you doing this? Your autism confuses me.

I actually liked Rear Window, but that scene with the lightbulbs was awful.
Also, what's up with the exposition in his movies? Psycho's worst part was that bulshit with the psychiatrist in the end.
And Vertigo was a fucking mess, in pace, dialogue, direction... The cinematography was the only good part of it. What the fuck was even the point of the Midge character?? And the whole "pretending to be the guy's wife who was obssessed with her dead grandmother" shit made no sense at all.
One more thing. Why does he shove the same lame effects in every single movie? Like the falling down effect, or the characters driving whith a green screen on the back. Looks just like that scene from Airplane! youtube.com/watch?v=MrktxWUgcyA

>Most of his films are shot on sets because he needed to control everything
Wyler managed fine. You're just mad because your favorite b movie director is being called out for the hack he is

You're offering nothing substantive, what a surprise.

This. Hitchcock is mostly corny and outdated

t. brainlet who seen two or three Hitchcock films

Why do you whine everytime someone tells you you're wrong, are you still in middle school

>trash=requires thought, insight, or empathy; no whiz-bang cgi sfx or capeshit

>requires thought, insight, or empathy

None of that describes Hitchcock.

He's the Snyder of his day.

Hitchcock lacked philosophy and was a child psychologist. Dreyer is leagues better, and Brakhage is the closest to pure cinema. Hitchcock's photographed plays are facades

What was I wrong about? I admitted D.W. Griffith is important. You're acting autistic for no reason.

the fuck is your point? I'm not even the user who you are replying to, but you seem quite uneducated to me with your edgelord attitude. Hitchcock did many movies on a single set. Lifeboat, Rope, Rear Window, just on the top of my head, and I'm fairly confident he did a few more in his English early days. Why does it even matter? what is your point?

My point is that user is cherrypicking. Hitchcock made dozens of films and many of those films have lots of locations.

I think Rear Window is one of the dullest Hitchcock films tbqh. My favs are Strangers on a Train and Young and Innocent.

>He's the Snyder of his day.
Except Snyder is actually good.

>tfw have an opportunity to see Vertigo on 70mm this winter.

You continue to whine every time someone calls out your vapid entertainment

>2. You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

>have lots of locations
matte paintings aren't real locations, brainlet

>implying David Lynch, François Truffaut, and Martin Scorsese are worthless

What the fuck are you on about? Eisenstein died when Hitchcock's career was just starting to blossom.

Congratulations on being a bigger fag than Griffithfag.

meh

Rear Window
Birds
Psycho

3 classics, now cut off a finger for me desu you owe it

>David Lynch
babby's first surrealist
>Truffaut
stole more from Cukor, chabrol is more Hitchcock
>Scorsese
oh you mean the manlet that can't stop remaking scarface?

They are, you vile twerp.

If you really wanted to make your point, why didn't you mention Claude Chabrol?

>Eisenstein died when Hitchcock's career was just starting to blossom
1948 is largely indicative as the death of film. Death of Griffith, Death of Eisenstein, Flaherty's last work, so on. Anything later is post-mortem (the fight against television - Cinerama, color, stereo, vistavision, etc.)

Hitchcock's best work is late 20's to early 30's.

Birds is awful

Teach me how to gun grandaddy hickok

Because Truffaut is more well known.