The script was not completely finished when filming began...

The script was not completely finished when filming began, since the filmmakers were more focused on the story and the action, so the dialogue was mostly ad-libbed throughout filming. Jon Favreau acknowledged this made the film feel more natural. Some scenes were shot with two cameras, to capture lines improvised on the spot. Robert Downey Jr. would ask for many takes of one scene, since he wanted to try something new. Gwyneth Paltrow, on the other hand, had a difficult time trying to match Downey with a suitable line, as she never knew what he would say.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s9QeGfiD69M
youtu.be/noZX1z_v804?t=27s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

To avoid spoilers about the final press conference, the extras were told that it was a dream sequence.

Jon Favreau wanted Robert Downey Jr., because he felt the actor's past was right for the part. He commented: "The best and worst moments of Robert's life have been in the public eye. He had to find an inner balance to overcome obstacles that went far beyond his career. That's Tony Stark. Robert brings a depth that goes beyond a comic book character having trouble in high school, or can't get the girl." Favreau also felt Downey could make Stark "a likable asshole", but also depict an authentic emotional journey once he won over the audience.

For the first three Iron Man movies, Jon Favreau thought of making the Iron Monger the main villain of the second film. Stane was going to be Stark's friend and confidante in the first film, but then would become his enemy in the second installment. However, Favreau was worried how to handle The Mandarin, who was to be the villain of the first film, so he decided to re-work the character into a behind-the-scenes presence, and make Iron Monger the first villain

20 movies later and still the only good MCU movie
>bbbbbbbbut winter solider
hahahahahahahaha

Hey now, all of the Captain America movies have been good/great so far. And while the awkward comedy thing doesn't do it for me both GotG movies were pretty good. Red Skull may even be coming back if leaks are to be believed, but take that with a grain of salt.

Winter soldier was the best MCU film hands down

>good acting by main cast
>decent or mediocre acting by extras but who cares
>interesting grab
>plot which is relevant to today’s problems
>ideals which appeal to true Americans are presented as objectively correct
>action scenes felt like they mattered
>best memes
>best cap costume
>best villain
>best widow haircut

Name ONE (1) thing wrong with The Winter Soldier

Is Ang Lee's HULK, although not technically part of the MCU, considered a sort of spiritual prequel to The MCU Incredible Hulk? Or is it just supposed to assume the viewer knows Banner's origin so it doeasn't touch on it, similar to Spiderman

Don't forget
>opening scene with "On your left"
>the list of things to catch up on
>kino scene when Cap visits his own museum

Who was the villain again, apart from that grody looking mercenary guy? The hydra senator?

The existence of the MCU hinged on Downey Jr's wit. And now we're here.

The winter soldier was the villain.

Thor 1 is unironically a high tier MCU flick. Why doesn't it get more love?

Well, the Winter Soldier for one. But also Robert Redford yeah. Movie came out 3 years ago bruh no need for spoilers

I guess I wasn't really thinking of Bucky as the villain, but you're right. When Cap is fighting/chasing him, he's pretty cool

The high up SHIELD guy played by Robert Redford was the villain behind the scenes, but then you also had Bucky, Crossbones, and all the secret hydra agents that were in SHIELD.

Why did they put that much responsibility on an actor who (at the time) no one took seriously anymore because drugs?

because he's the goat quipper

When I see the heroes it makes me excited in my little pee pee.

Just rewatched Thor again yesterday.

Loki's characterization is the best in this film, but his motivations are easily the worst.
The scenes on Earth are great. The scenes in Jotunheim and Asgard are okay
The plot is very tightly woven
One issue might be that Thor "atones" really fast and the romance with Jane Foster is also very rushed. We're expected to believe he spent centuries as a priggish Chad who fucks wenches all the time, only to become a significantly more thoughtful and wise man with an abiding love for a pretty Earth girl after like three days. It's not that the arc is unconvincing, but the timeframe is lightspeed and ruins immersion a bit.

Altogether, it's an 8/10 on the MCU scale. Much better than The Dark World

I posted this in another thread and no one seemed to care.

Marvel has lots of young actors with no emotional trauma to pull from. Except Robert Downey Jr. RDJ hugged the cactus and redeemed himself, and that colors Tony Stark - the regret, the anger, the relief, and the determination never to go back to that place. Every plot decision Tony makes is rooted in the absolute urgency never to repeat a tragic mistake he made.
>Becomes Iron Man to redeem the legacy of his arms dealing company
>Creates Ultron to avoid repeating the horror of an alien invasion against an unprepared Earth
>Signs onto the Registration Act because of Ultron and because of the impact he had on the world, with influence from Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch and that cameo scene by the elevator
>Takes Peter Parker's suit back to avoid the same fate his friend War Machine went through when he attacked an enemy with superior technology.
If you think about it, Tony Stark the comic character has many characterizations but few are as humongously remorseful as Tony Stark, the movie character that literally saved RDJ and made him the most beloved celebrity on Earth.

>The scenes on Earth are great.
No they were shit. Terrible humor scenes and the New Mexico locations looked cheap as shit.

>ILM screen tests prototypes of Robert Downey Jr.'s robotic lifts in preparation for his scenes with Gwyneth Paltrow.jpg

Stellan Skarsgard is great as Eric Selvig
Natalie Portman is genuinely the best-acting romantic interest in the MCU to date
The other girl needs to get on my dick
Agent Coulson is characterized well and isn't just a punching bag for the heroes before getting killed
Barton's short appearance is kino
The Area 51/X Files atmosphere is very pronounced

>Natalie Portman is genuinely the best-acting romantic interest in the MCU to date
This is so sad, but also so true
She's also the cutest

Fuck I don't even know where to start. I literally disagree with everything you just said. All those elements were shit including Skarsgard sleepwalking through his role.

Start on my balls, you can work your way up the shaft from there.

>chuckling in disbelief as he thumbs through old Nordic myths
>showing fear when SHIELD arrives
I'm not saying this is his best performance ever, but he is a really good supporting character in this movie

>disagreeing that Natalie and other girl are top tier
I'm guessing your Marvel Girl type is black or asian or green?

They're attractive, yeah, but they're both terrible actors. Not really worth watching the movie just for that.

>plot which is relevant to today's problem
>"DUDE DRONES ARE BAD LMAO"
>"DUDE ITS NOT DROENS ITS NAZIS LMAO"
mKEKs are delusional

In what way is Natalie Portman a terrible actor? I don't really care about the other one, I just think she can BJ her DSLs on my BWC

Edit: just looked it up and that' Kat Dennings, which explains my boner

I care, user. Good post

>Thor 1 is unironically a high tier MCU flick. Why doesn't it get more love?
I thought Thor 1 was one of the more entertaining films, but that's cause I felt it as it was carried by Hemsworth's charisma. Everyone says the opposite too.

I also preferred IM3 to the others, but that's because I went in expecting a Shane Black film and got a Shane Black film.

based niceposter

There hasn't been a single MCU film yet that I did not like. Granted some fell shorter than others, like AoU being hyped up by trailers to be something it ultimately wasn't and Homecoming being nothing special outside of Vulture.

IM3 is legit great. Fuck "Muh Mandarin" fags.

Good post friend

>and the New Mexico locations looked cheap as shit.
i was amazed at how shitty that set was. it looks like something from a netflix series

Do you think the cheap 80s paranormal motif was intentional or just a budgeting decision?

Ard ju iruhn men?

It has Captain America in it. Can't stand the character, and the actor is boring.

The whole point of Civil War is that Captain is an asshole.

Opening scene was great. Redford was shitty, it was a tragedy that the Nazi scientist who built his consciousness into a giant analog computer got only one scene, that was an excellent idea.

Winte soldier is the best mcu film ever made. It's up there with dark knight and batman returns. It's so fucking memorable and rewatchable, unlike thor crap and iron man thunderdomes. Avengers has become a boyband movie and antman/spidey are somehow awkward comedy in mcu setting.

Winter soldier actually has a realness feel to it which comic book lacks. It almost felt like patriot games or bourne identity.

a year ago, ghost rider, spider-man 3, and rise of the silver surfer were the recent capeshit films. just think about that for a second.

>Thor 1
>Natalie Portman
I can't watch any movie with her in it. So many people have a hard time trying to pin point what was bad about the Prequels. It is Natalie Portman, she is fucking terrible. She makes Thor 1 and 2 unwatchable.

Oh what is this? Thor 3 is great? What did they remove?

He worked his ass off after getting sober and earned the part. He didn't walk out of rehab and get Iron Man, he made several (good) movies before that, showing he could do it. His drug use wasn't a problem until the late 90s anyway, and he'd proven already he could act, and act well.

>What did they remove?
Natalie Portman and the big titted jew

>X-Men 3 and Superman Returns the year before that
Outside of Raimi's Spidey and X2, the early to mid 00s were not good for capeshit

Go to bed Keira

Iron Man didn't save him, he was just ready for a part that big. He saved himself with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Zodiak. He was 4 years sober when he got Iron Man, and had made several movies already - all of them solid performances. He proved he could do the work, still had chops, and was sober - all they needed to hang the franchise on him.

>Thor 3
>great
Entertaining for sure but great is a major stretch

Peggy Carter (Haley Atwel) is cuter and a better actress than goop.

Sorry, not goop. Padme. Brain fart.

natty p isn't goop you dumdum
also haylet manwell is literally tits: the actress

>Implying his live would be even 1% as sweet as it is today if he didnt land Iron Man

His face is now a permanent part of 2000s pop culture. He'll probably be in some shitty liberal arts textbook over 100 years from now. He's the second highest grossing actor (lead roles only) of all time AND he cut himself a fucking sweet % of revenue deal on those films. Scarlet Johansson is like 7th on that list and he literally carried her the whole way there.

Pic related.

I think it's a bit of column A and a bit of a column B. I'd rather they be separate as I enjoy Ang Lee's much more.

Emily Blunt probably regrets having to turn down the Black Widow gig for a role in a Jack Black movie

Who's the first? Harrison Ford?

damn I was close

Hanks is not a franchise character though, unless you could Woody. So that means RDJ is the world's #1 iconic character actor

At best, she's forgettable. There's no chemistry between her and Thor. She's too cold to take seriously in a part like that. I don't take the romance seriously in that movie. There's more chemistry between the Scarlett Witch and the Vision in Civil War than Thor and Padme.
Interestingly enough, there's chemistry with Ruffalo and Johansen.
To me, Portman is like Goop, either one could have easily been replaced, and their replacements would have vastly improved the films. Goop's bailing on the franchise to sell snake oil health food in London was the best thing to happen for it.

Thor 1 lacks action, and its best action scene comes early with the Frost Giants. I enjoy it a lot as a fish out of water comedy, and a palace intrigue melodrama.

See

I didn't imply anything of the sort, soy boy. I like RDJ, a lot, and I'm glad he got the part, because I like his character. I said, he earned the part. You invented an implication to make your shitty point. Do that to someone else, m'kay?

Yep. All of those roles are post-rehab. He's done an amazing job since getting (and staying) sober.

I love Emily Blunt, but she wouldn't have worked as Black Widow. She's not exotic enough. Johannsen is perfect. Blunt would have been a great Peggy Carter.

That makes so much sense. Gwyneth's reactions were genuine and not her just acting. She isn't a bad actress, but she is not a good one either.

Thing I wished they had kept was the almost Shakespeare like dialogue of Thor 1 and him and Loki in Avengers. That scene in Avengers when Thor first shows up begging Loki to stop and come home is probably my favorite scene.

Jon Favreau kept putting RDJ's name in for Iron Man and Marvel kept turning him down. Favreau eventually threatened to walk if he couldn't get RDJ.

Marvel put up all their remaining unlicensed properties as collateral for the loan to start Marvel Studios. If Iron Man had bombed they would have lost everything.

Terrence Howard was paid higher than RDJ in Iron Man 1. His demand that his pay be increased in ratio to RDJ's for Iron Man 2 is what lead to him being recast by Don Cheadle. Terrence Howard also has a micropenis. Seriously look it up.

RDJ turned down George Clooney's part in Gravity in order to make his terrible passion project The Judge.

Mel Gibson had to cover RDJ's IM insurance if I remember correctly.

It's a good scene. Loki frequently brings out the best in Thor.

Banner's origin is played out in a montage of sorts during the opening credits.

youtube.com/watch?v=s9QeGfiD69M

After posting, I now realize that intro is cut funny for some reason, they removed a few seconds here or there. Point still stands though.

youtu.be/noZX1z_v804?t=27s

No it's that iron Man is being an emotional bitch that's projecting his guilt and insecurities on the rest of the avengers

iron jew

t. Soyboy

from 80s comedies to a fucking billion dollar franchise...rdj has probably the weirdest career ever. 80s comedies, brent easton ellis flick, buddy movie with fucking mel, charlie chaplin biopic, us marshalls, Ally McBeal to a fucking Iron Man

captian america

This. Winter Soldier was a good spy film but I never felt like it reached the heights of the first Iron Man. This is even made weirder with Civil War having an Iron Man 1-tier performance from RDJ combined with the continuation of the Winter Soldier subplot and it makes RDJ's stand out from the rest of the film.

Riches to rags...to rags to riches. Can't make this shit up.

>best Widow haircut
Are you completely forgetting IM2-era Widow

Actual sex goddess right there

>One issue might be that Thor "atones" really fast and the romance with Jane Foster is also very rushed.
Honestly I think it's this part that stops Thor from being great. The atonement part kind of just fizzles out especially when you'd think he'd have more Earth moments after the disappointment he went through in trying to pick up the hammer.

>i'm a butthurt DCuckike

Thor 1 should have focused entirely on earth, with his exile explained throughout. That would have given them time to build the romance, and have a better plot than "Lands at the one spot on earth were an attractive scientist is studying the exact science he needs to return" bullshit.
Thor 2 could have then showed him at home, dealing with Loki and his father, and concentrated entirely on that, then being called to earth to deal with Loki on earth in the Avengers.
The casting for Thor is great (except for Padme), but the story blows. It's too confusing, and all of the Valhalla shit was too much for an introductory story.
Is there any plan for a Black Widow backstory movie? She deserves one, and I know it will involve Bucky. Or are they just going to ignore Hydra?

That is insane. What a turnaround.