What do you consider to be good animation?

What do you consider to be good animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0eSdOPcHum8&list=PLRrjFSsFn5yI5ITYVxWJjB-upDIED-w8w&index=2&t=28s
youtube.com/watch?v=7_CvVf9yflU
youtube.com/watch?v=rds7V5Sxu-4
youtube.com/watch?v=5T5rCSmduaY
youtube.com/watch?v=zs3pYBQhtkM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Samurai Jack as of late. Other than that, Disney.

this almost looks as if it's vaguely rotoscoped.

Nope, just shit loads of skill.

That's Milt Kahl for you.

kawaii

POST MORE

im edging right now

More what specifically?

hand drawn pre-coloring animation

Sure.

that is incredibly beautiful

The best for the end.

based baxter

Holy shit, how'd he animate that fucking dress what the fuck.

HAND DRAWN
A
N
D

D
R
A
W
N

GAMES BOOKSTORE

never 4get

It hurts.

Yes, but, hE IS BACK!

you mean he used actual footage and drew stylized cartoons over it or he's just that good

The latter.

He was just that good. He's considered to be the best of the Nine Old Men.

>That smooth right hand movement
It's all in the little touches.

GOD DAMN

All memes asides, the future of animation is pretty bright.
>new wave of adult stop-motion films (Laika's next films, Isle of Dogs, Pinocchio)
>more and more European films
>more and more collaborations between Europe and Japan (Ankama, Yapiko, Sav! the World)
>ex-Disney animators are working on independents projects (Andreas Deja's Mushka, Sergio Pablos's Klaus)
>independents animation start getting more recognition thanks to Gkids

2D is coming back in a big way soon.

Yes but since the mainstreams studios won't change most of Sup Forums will ignore it.

But how many are kids gonna care about? Will any other big studio help bring it back? I mean, come on, Disney is remaking everything in live action, Dreamworks is exclusively 3D-animated, and it sounds like the most popular animated film in 2D is going to be the My Little Pony movie.

What needs to happen is to bring 2D back to the kids.

This guy's great, but his mailman animation of whatever makes me puke.

There only needs to be one big one to change the tune. The economy is comingn back and when it does you'll see 2D rising again.

Kids still like 2D cartoons, Kids are the Reason Hey Arnold is coming back.

You know Steven Universe?
The opposite of that.

How the fuck

>>more and more collaborations between Europe and Japan
if this doesn't scream dead and disperat i don't know what it will

european animation is dead and we kill it
youtube.com/watch?v=0eSdOPcHum8&list=PLRrjFSsFn5yI5ITYVxWJjB-upDIED-w8w&index=2&t=28s

>european animation is dead

The issue though is that spectacular animation like from the 40s, 50s, 60s are wasted on them. Kids don't like 101 Dalmations or Robin Hood because of how detailed and skillfull the animation is, they only notice the character designs, songs, colors, etc. There are nowhere near enough animated shows and movies for adults so that is why adults who enjoy it are forced to watch shitty cookie cutter bubble head shit for 10 year olds.

Hold the line user, it'll come back.

Is there any modern DIGITAL equivalents to ?
I love looking at these barebones animations, and since with digital you have so much tools to work with, it could look amazing.

Talent.

My hope is waning as I watch CN parasitize the fuck out of every one of their shows and more and more 3D/flash/noodle person bubble headed garbage gets churned out every year.

Something with clear direction and purpose in what is being animated. A lot of weeb shit does high frame rate/well detailed animation but I find it doesn't do much to express anything satisfying. You can do something smooth and nice but if there isn't a point to whats occurring I often times feel like animators are insulting their audience tricking them into thinking whats occurring is "good" animation.

>200 something drawing for very basic moments like this
Imagine what he could have done in the digital age.

Why are there no famous 3D animators? With 2D cartoons you can easily find many skilled animators being known for their skills but when it comes to 2D animation it's like no one gives them the spotlight at all.

Steven Universe does good stuff sometimes though.
youtube.com/watch?v=7_CvVf9yflU
youtube.com/watch?v=rds7V5Sxu-4
youtube.com/watch?v=5T5rCSmduaY
Of course you have to think in the context of television animation. The smokey episode was a travesty.

there are no famous stop motion animators either

>high frame rate/well detailed animation
>weeb shit
Excuse you? A few exceptions like Cowboy Bebop but still.

japs love to save up budgets to give fast and well detailed action scenes, but they fall on their ass all the time because the actions lack weight, and they generally don't know how to shoot an effective fight scene. You can piss and moan at me about this statement but in the end its true and the flip side to it is the rest of the episode/series is a fucking slide show of characters flapping their mouths at each other.

Lapis was great in her debut episode. Everything else has been shit.

we'll agree to disagree since this isn't the point of the thread.

>Nick Park
>Will Vinton
>Norman McLaren
>Jan Svankmajer
>Ray Harryhausen

Being a good animator is not about what frames you can add, but knowing what frames you can take away.

Again.
>weeb shit
>high framerate/well detailed animation
Pick one.

IDK, this seems awfully rotoscope. I mean, just because he shot footage of a real dude making these motions and then animated it doesn't mean he isn't skilled.

Ok my dude.

It's not rotoscope

>you will never be skilled enough to be accused of rotoscope by kids in the internet over 40 years later
It's like being called a hacker in a online game when you're not cheating at all.

More likely he used live action footage for reference but there's no tracing involved. It's very normal for animators to study some reference material before working on their scene.

In 3D It all looks the fucking same.

Fucking this.
One of the things that annoys me most is when people call a piece of animation bad "because it has less frames". If Milt Kahl animated on 2s or 3s his animations would still be just as impressive. Animation is all about the spacing between the key frames and breakdowns, the inbetweens don't matter. Good animation should look just as good if you remove all inbetweens. So yes, bashing japanese animation simply because they use less frames is asinine.

>If Milt Kahl animated on 2s or 3s his animations would still be just as impressive.
No it wouldn't. It just would be acceptable but fail to achieve the same sense of realism and weight.

>being this fooled by skill to think it's rotoscoped
jesus christ

It can't even be called jealousy at this point, just delusion or stupidity.

>In 3D It all looks the fucking same.
Blizzard to Disney/Pixar are pretty different senpai

I think people just aren't used to good animation anymore.
youtube.com/watch?v=zs3pYBQhtkM
You see this scene get called rotoscoped a lot for example, but it's not. I think people are just so used to stiff or clunky animation that they almost can't believe when higher-effort stuff comes out.

What proof do you have that's not rotoscoped? There's too much uncanny valley in that video.

>3k frames

fuck that

The person who animated that scene, Okiura, has been accused of rotoscope in many of this other works and has expressed disdain for it. He's the same guy that directed Jin-Roh. If you look up "Cowboy Bebop rotoscope" there are even several places that mention it.

Tetsuya Nishio helped out with a couple of cuts in the opening too.

What? That's only a week's work.

m8 are you fucking serious

No I mean scene to scene it looks the exact same only the modelers have any say.

The actual animators are just monkeys, hell they only do a bit at a time, do you care who animated Shrek's left ear?

Realism and weight is not bound entirely by the amount of drawings. I guarantee if you just took Milt's keys/breakdowns and played them on a screen they'd still be fantastic.

A whole week? No wonder all animation is done in Asia now.

Please tell me you're baiting.

You have no idea what you are talking about and are ignoring decades of advancement in animation.

There hasn't been any advancement in 2D animation since the 50s. The peak was already achieved a log time ago.

>The actual animators are just monkeys
Sure. But animation monkeys exist in all mediums, 2D included.
>tfw animation student atm

>hell they only do a bit at a time,
Well yeah, it's the same for some 2D.

>do you care who animated Shrek's left ear?
Yeah actually. You have to appreciate all kinds of mediums. It's not like 3D is easy either, and I'm not shitting on 2D, I'd actually prefer 2D over 3D any day because it's not as popular as it used to be. 2D requires some serious discipline and a sharp eye but so does 3D.

Take for example The Incredibles, there's alot of these tiny subtle gestures that each character does that you can notice. Wish I had webms for specific examples but I don't so here's unrelated Eva done by Mitsuo Iso.

I bet you're one of those faggots who just love how "smooth" and "crisp" my little pony animation looks.

I'll pick both.

no good with names but that one guy that did an entire pro-level sci-fi short all on his own
Nathan Love is a really skilled studio
and many FX animators
maybe that one yt channel that does a bunch of 3d dildos bouncing off each other

maybe, maybe not but it is possible to do it without that
personally, i think its referenced at most

fuck, webm didn't post.

You are a waste of my time.

The only reason 2D monkeys exist is because of lazy and cheap studios.

CGI animation monkeys but less thought and effort into their work then even the lowliest in betweener. CGI looks disgusting and it's all assembly line work. It's full of people who like cartoons but can't draw.

The only reason the incredible's looks anywhere near OK in terms of expression is because based Brad Bird.

Congrats, you're a retard that can't read and you get nothing.

Dude, stop, there are plenty of detailed and HFR cuts coming from Japan.

>All that for Nura rise of the Yokai clan
That's hilarious. Mean while other Mangakais can have actually good series and free time.

Also
>its the same for 2D

Oh really? There are 15 people on one character in one cut?

The way you phrased you post made it seem as if detailed and GOOD stuff is CURRENTLY coming from Japan. I'm into anime but recently Anime has been shit for a while now lately, nothing is safe not even the classics like Berserk.

Berserk was never good.

Not him, watch more anime.

theres good stuff being made everywhere people are to blinded by personal bias to see it.

Not 15 obviously, but sometimes there's the "monkey" inbetweeners in 2D.

I am not here to argue user. It just sounds like you're just not a fan of 3D.

The inbetweener is an extension of the Key animator's vision, and must complete the work they started.

CGI Left asscheek animator number 12 is a mindless robot unable to put his own flair into anything because his contribution is infinitesimal.

I have reasons.

ok user