Why does Chigurh make fun of the man for marrying into his job?

why does Chigurh make fun of the man for marrying into his job?

He's autistic.

He's obviously a jealous /r9k/ robot

I believe that either Cormac McCarthy or the film's director have stated that Chigurh is someone who has never had anything resembling a sexual experience, which might serve to explain his incredulousness at the man's marriage being the cause of him landing in front of Chigurh in the first place

he was trying to not pay for his gas, because he only has a quarter

Because he is insecure about his own career choice. Somehow he is obsessed with his freedom. That's why he must kill his employer to show that he isn't just an employee.

he's gay

Is he ...a virgin?...

It's not fair.

t. freud

>taking a meme philosopher this serious

that's why he's so powerful

I read it in an interview dingleberry. not everything is so worthy of your cunning analysis

>i believe
>i read it

Please kill yourself immediately liar faggot

>le le le le memememememmee redditt :^DDDDD
Holy fuck, who's the faggot?

He's implying he didn't earn the job.

I'm a virgin and I laugh at but also distrust married people. I'm not sure if it's quite the same.

chigurh is death incarnate of course hed be confused that something that was supposed to create life brought death to its doorstep

But isn't nepostism how everyone gets a good job?

You just humiliated yourself liar bitch, 0 arguments and the leddit weapon.

Sir?

He's not making fun of him. You missed the entire point of the scene, and the movie.

He says "Yes you did, you've been putting it up your whole life, you just didn't know it" when the guy asks what the stakes are on the coin toss, and said he didn't put anything up.
Chigurh is all about fate. That's why he does the coin toss. He's irritated at the guy for asking personal questions, but has no real reason to kill him, so he let's fate decide, by the coin. He;s saying the guy put his whole life up to chance, by marrying into a business, instead of choosing purposefully to do it. He chokes because this man has been on a path to confront Chigurh through an act of marriage, not decision. The whole movie is about that - the actions of Chirgurh are set off by the actions of other - he's an agent of fate. He's a purposeful angel of death, who only kills because of the choices others are making - he's not part of that, he's just the result. That's how he rationalizes murder, as a psychopath. It's not murder, it's fate - the coin is in control, and the coin is to blame if he dies. He does the same to Carla Jean later on, because he has no real reason to murder her, now that Moss is dead and the money returned. She even confronts him on it, "It's not the coin, it's just you", and he says "I got here the same way the coin did." He doesn't kill her, the coin does - he's just an agent of fate. He is there, because of what Moss chose. (He does shoot her, btw. It's in the book.)
The movie is about fate. How people make decisions every day that lead them in life, and what the consequences are.

>"I got here the same way the coin did."
Did he not use his own quarter?

The last guy got it. He is less of person and more of a force of nature. He is compared at one point to a hurricane by either Cormac McCarthy or one of the Coen Brothers in an interview

McCarthy is a fucking pseudo-gnostic so who knows what the fuck he is actually supposed to represent.

The real problem is that Anton Chigurh says that the quarter is from 1958. That is so unrealistic, because all quarters minted before 1965 were 90% silver. All of those quarters would be hoarded for their silver content, since that is worth more than the face value of the coin.

Not the point. The coin can come from anywhere, it just is there at that exact moment for a purpose. He's just fucking with the guy, the key is that his life depends on the toss. He even fucks with the guy more, when he leaves, and says to noy put it in his pocket, because it's his lucky coin, it's not just a coin like the others - and then throws in "which it is". He knows the old dude is a dumb fuck, and is just fucking with him, he's enjoying fucking with his head. It's what he does. He likes to taunt people before he kills them, he's a psychopath.

Chigurh could get his own movie franchise, he's a really fucking interesting character, like how he learned all the medical stuff, etc. He's completely fucking insane, too. Moss and the Sheriff are all just normal people, Chigurh is the only really deep character in the movie.

The movie is set in 1980, dummy. That shit was just starting then. And it's completely beside the fucking point of the coin, the scene, and the movie.

Would you like to now run your mouth about the car Chigurh is driving? Because that's about as meaningful to the plot as the fucking silver content of the fucking coin.

Because working at a gas station is a shit job unworthy of any respect, it's the job you do when you can't get anything else.
On the opposite side of the career spectrum, marrying into a job is generally an act to secure a higher level of work or status that one otherwise would have a tough time getting on one's own.
For the man to have married into (high cost high reward) working at the gas station (shit job, low reward if not punishment outright) is ridiculous to Chigurh.
Can't believe none of you autists got that.

Was that small edit really worth deleting your post? We knew what you meant.

The sheriff is the old world*, Moss is the new world, and Chigurh is the result of the new world.

*The sheriff's backstory is not as explained in the movie. He served in WWII, and abandoned his unit, and got a bronze star for doing it, so he's trying to repay that by protecting people as sheriff, but the world he though existed, a world of right and wrong, doesn't exist anymore (if it ever did). The sheriff serves to comment on the state of the world, following the trail of destruction from Moss and Chigurh. The whole thing is like the final nail in the coffin for his hope that the world he thinks existed is still there.

you cant really lambast people for not getting chigurh when there are a million different ways to analyze him. you can do it as hes a pyscho, a force of nature, death itself, a man of principles .its really hard to tie his motives down because hes all over the place the few scenes where he interacts with others without murdering them

It's like if the guy said he'd defeated a dozen guys in a fist fight to marry his wife and then pointed to a picture of her and she was fat and ugly and showed clear signs of low intelligence and poor personality. You fought for THAT? You married into THIS?

was it autism?

That's what most men do in this life user.

Nope. Has nothing to do with status. It has to do with FATE. He says to the guy "You've been putting it up your whole life, and you didn't even know it" - the guy put his future up to fate through marrying someone, not making a decision. That lack of choice led him to where he is, with his life depending on the toss of a coin. Fate. It's all about fate, not status. Ironoc you're calling people autists, when you don't understand the main underlying theme of the entire scene, which is spelled out for you with Chigirh's questions and statements.

Ah, alright. That makes sense, and is in line with what I have read of McCarthy.

I thought he didn't think much of marrying into a job as a gas station attendant.

You never know with these people on here man, you never know.
Also it triggered my autism.
Yeah, I suppose even if the actor/writer/director/whoever meant something in particular it need not be one's head-canon.
Didn't he make a decision to marry who he married? Didn't he make a decision to go with the job that was available to him instead of something else? He also mentioned that he and his wife lived elsewhere and raised a family, plenty of decisions there. What if they had decided to stay? What if the attendant had decided to go visit his kids elsewhere on that day and miss Chigurh entirely? Sure, Chigurh likely meant that the man had been putting up his whole life without knowing it because his whole life led to this moment in time when he would either live or die as a result of that coin toss. But it wasn't through indecision or surrendering yourself to fate, everyone is subject to fate independent of their will, even the most decisive of people, even chigurh himself (as shown at the end of the movie if you made it that far).
The man had made decisions in his life, how else would he have gotten married or had kids or done anything? The more I think about what you said the less sense it makes, stop connecting two separate things.

I just looked at the book. There's a different ending to the scene - the cough/laugh isn't in the book, so it might just be Chigurh choking on a nut.

Here's the ending speech by Chigurh:
“Dont put it in your pocket.
Sir?
Dont put it in your pocket.
Where do you want me to put it?
Dont put it in your pocket. You wont know which one it is.
All right.
Anything can be an instrument, Chigurh said. Small things. Things you wouldnt even notice. They pass from hand to hand. People dont pay attention. And then one day there’s an accounting. And after that nothing is the same. Well, you say. It’s just a coin. For instance. Nothing special there. What could that be an instrument of? You see the problem. To separate the act from the thing. As if the parts of some moment in history might be interchangeable with the parts of some other moment. How could that be? Well, it’s just a coin. Yes. That’s true. Is it?”

Puts a different spin on it, but the same explanation. It's all about fate. It's to set up how Chigurh sees the world, and his place in it - and that he does this all the time, to the people he kills. It has nothing to do with status, or making fun of the guy.

The scene where he shoots carla is different, but it explains his thinking more:
“Call it.
I wont do it.
Yes you will. Call it.
God would not want me to do that.
Of course he would. You should try to save yourself. Call it. This is your last chance.
Heads, she said.
He lifted his hand away. The coin was tails.
I’m sorry.
She didnt answer.
Maybe it’s for the best.
She looked away. You make it like it was the coin. But you’re the one.
It could have gone either way.
The coin didnt have no say. It was just you.
Perhaps. But look at it my way. I got here the same way the coin did.
She sat sobbing softly. She didnt answer.
For things at a common destination there is a com“mon path. Not always easy to see. But there.
Everthing I ever thought has turned out different, she said. There aint the least part of my life I could of guessed. Not this, not none of it.
I know.
You wouldnt of let me off noway.
I had no say in the matter. Every moment in your life is a turning and every one a choosing. Somewhere you made a choice. All followed to this. The accounting is scrupulous. The shape is drawn. No line can be erased. I had no belief in your ability to move a coin to your bidding. How could you? A person’s path through the world seldom changes and even more seldom will it change abruptly. And the shape of your path was visible from the beginning.
She sat sobbing. She shook her head.
Yet even though I could have told you how all of this would end I thought it not too much to ask that you have a final glimpse of hope in the world to lift your heart before the shroud drops, the darkness. Do you see?
Oh God, she said. Oh God.
I’m sorry.

“He shook his head. You’re asking that I make myself vulnerable and that I can never do. I have only one way to live. It doesnt allow for special cases. A coin toss perhaps. In this case to small purpose. Most people dont believe that there can be such a person. You can see what a problem that must be for them. How to prevail over that which you refuse to acknowledge the existence of. Do you understand? When I came into your life your life was over. It had a beginning, a middle, and an end. This is the end. You can say that things could have turned out differently. That they could have been some other way. But what does that mean? They are not some other way. They are this way. You’re asking that I second say the world. Do you see?
Yes, she said, sobbing. I do. I truly do.
Good, he said. That’s good. Then he shot her.”

Yeah, him choking on the nut is part of the reaction. The reaction to finding out that the guy married into a gas attendant job, further cementing the impression of mediocrity he is leaving on Chigurh. And all that other stuff is valid too, Chigurh's beliefs about fate and chance and the coin and so on, but that's not what him talking about the guy marrying into it is about.

I don't agree, but not worth arguing further, the Coens put that in for their own reasons. I don't think it makes sense because Chigurh is said to not have a sense of humor, and his conversations in the book are all about what leads someone to the place in their life where he has to kill them. It's one of those "make of it what you will" things, I guess. It's a small thing, in the overall picture of the character.

Are the autistic replies serious?

The man worked a menial job at a petrol station that he "inherited" from his wife. Chigurh was just demeaning him.

Goes against the nature of the character. Chigur never judges anyone. He's a psychopath. He kills unemotionally. He shows no emotion, ever. He just focuses on his job, whatever that is, and the people in his way, he shows no empathy or remorse for. To judge the man, he'd have to care - and he doesn't. He's focused on how their paths came together in that moment, and now the coin decides if the man lives or not, not Chigurh. It explains why he is the way he is, and why he's this remorseless hurricane of death following Moss. The whole scene was to set up Chigurh's character and insanity, and for the coin toss with Carla Jean later.

You keep ascribing normal emotions and thoughts to a complete and utter psychopath. It doesn't work that way.

The thing is that he isn't as right as he thinks he is. Well, he doesn't think anything because he doesn't exist, but the way he thinks is very narcissistic. The fact is, Carla is right, it's not the coin that's killing people, it's him. He's choosing to do it, he's making choices and living by self-appointed standards. He is not an infallible concept, he is a fallible human no matter how he wants to look at it.
>I got here the same way the coin did
The coin is an object, Chigurh is a person. Every moment is an opportunity for him to make any choice he wishes to make, to do anything he wants to do. He uses that opportunity to live the particular life he lives in the particular way he lives it. He didn't get there by chance, he made all the choices and decisions necessary to take him from where he was before to where he was there. In fact, nothing but his own beliefs actually propelled him there, no other external circumstances were pressing him to go and track down Carla. He didn't need to for any reason except because he wanted to, because it was part of what he thought was right or correct or worthwhile.
>You’re asking that I make myself vulnerable and that I can never do. I have only one way to live. It doesnt allow for special cases.
He can act like he is a force of a nature or an agent of fate, but he's a human being that's choosing to conform themselves to their beliefs. He's the one doing the killing by his own system of values and beliefs, not the coin. It's suiting that right after he leaves he gets hit by a car, there's some uncontrolled fate to contrast his forced "fate".

I thought it was interesting how he believes he's a force of nature but really is just a crazy fuck. The car crash at the end was predictable but utterly needed to demonstrate this

This.

In terms of D&D alignments, which one fits Chigurh?

Lawful evil, of course

Can you stick to shitposting in the many terrible threads we have, rather than the few promising ones?

The resemblance of this to another scene in another show is quite uncanny.

Oh uh, I also disagree that "fate" is the overarching theme of the story but, rather, just about the Sheriff's soul-crushing realization that the world is changing for the worse or something. The whole fate thematic is relevant as a character-building tool from Chigurh's point of view but it seems a bit contrived to apply it to the entirety of the plot.

You could argue that he is neutral because of how much he loves the pure accidental chance represented by the coin toss.

>lawful evil
>criminal

says the guy with the reddit spacing

Look at Elliot Rodger. Madman for no real reason, just his own inferior sensibilities. Just makes you come down to realize it was merely just some inferior sense of autism

Chigurh himself might try to rationalize it that way, but as a character he still did what he did with intent.

More like...
>Criminal
>Evil

You misunderstand the meaning of Lawful in the context of the D&D alignment.

>he is not an infallible concept
he is if you view him as death itself

Everyone landed in front of Sugar because of a sexual experience

the book car crash is different. In the book the car crashes into the drivers side, and he reacts quick enough to throw himself to the passengers side, still injuring himself but surviving. in the movie it just hits the passenger side and makes it look like fate is against him.

>car crash at the end was predictable

>The book describes in the opening, how he allows himself to be arrested, just in order to see if he can escape with his supreme act of will.
sugardaddy is a kino villain

In the book does the cop sit there with his back to him while he's alone?

Jesus christ that explanation is embarrassingly autistic. Pretty sure the actual point was that Sugar just thinks that owning a business is less impressive if you married into it.

fight me irl faggot

As an external representation you might be able to see him that way.

But within the story itself, he's just an asshole.

but it's not a good job, he landed a job at some fucking gas station in the middle of nowhere, and he had to marry into it, are you all retarded?
He's laughing because he married into a shitty job because the gas station guy is pathetic

>laughing

he's clearly disgusted