Why can't Hollywood make decent live action adaptions of anime?

Why can't Hollywood make decent live action adaptions of anime?

It'd be nice and fresh if they could focus on another character of the series, but then we'd have people crying about authenticity.

Why can't Japan make decent anime?

Why do you need an adaptation of it? Just read the manga

We had speed racer

Is there any anime that's kinda good, like I can watch it without finding it goofy and take the narrative seriously but it doesn't have Gangum robots or pirates with corncob hats?

Try Berserk. Maybe Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

you know, out of all the live action adaptations, this one is the one i've seen the most
not counting edge of tomorrow obviously

Because they don't take it seriously. To them it's just cartoons, but there's a sizeable fanbase out there so they hope it'll be a quick cash grab.
If the director is not a fan of the work, an anime adaptation will almost never turn out good.

because anime is a distinct form of media on itself that can't be translated into live action

the closest i've seen anime-like is actually suckerpunch

Serial Experiments Lain. There's one part with an ayy lmao, but other than that no stereotpical anime mecha/magic girl/ninja shit to take you out of an otherwise serious story.

This. Anime-inspired hollywood works will always be closer to the real deal than straight anime adaptations, because they're made by anime fans wanting to make something similar, not by executives saying "my grandson likes this 'Naburo' cartoon, let's get Michael Bay to make a movie of it."

Just watch Akira. It's been the best anime for the last 30 years and nothing has come close.

Evangelion, Macross Plus, Akira, Lodoss Was (basically LOTR in anime)

nigger Lain is NOT something you show to someone who has never seen anime before

They pick the literal worst shit possible to adapt, hire bargain bin screen writers, and then go to town. Nobody wants to see a 24 episode series boiled down to a two hour running time, and your budget isn't big enough to adapt anything to absurd.

Something like Porco Rosso would make an excellent adaptation, the story works with a real cast, the budget wouldn't be absurd, and nothing in it is too weird for general audiences. The problem is at that point it's redundant.

Same reason Japan can’t. What works in animation doesn’t work in live action.

Akira
Princess Mononoke
Perfect Blue
Ghost In The Shell

Hon. mentions - Paprika, Paranoia Agent, Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, most studio ghibli films, Ergo Proxy, Psycho Pass

Seconding Berserk. Especially if you like dark fantasy stuff like GoT.

It still amazes me, to this very day, that this movie is so fucking terrible despite all the greatness it was capable of.

I've seen that. I took a Japanese film course in college where I learned it's pronounced "ah-nime". Seen Akira, Ghost in the Shell, a lot of Miozake and Tokyo Grandfathers. Definitely interesting stuff. I just want a comfy show that doesn't have goofy Mecha Gangnam stuff in it

Speedracer was decent.

Monster is a great detective cat and mouse story set in comfy as fuck Germany

Also Beserk,GITS, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo

Why does Sup Forums cancer want this?

Watch Paranoia Agent, it has anime tropes here and there but it seems to revel in deconstructing them. I'm not a fan of Twin Peaks per say but it occasionally feels like the anime equivalent of that and I'm really enjoying. Basically a 13 episode crime mystery series that has lots of twists and turns and it's made by the Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers guy so there's lots of clever sound/visual editing and interesting ideas. Psycho Pass and Ergo Proxy are pretty fun also my dude. Psycho Pass has a little bit of that good ol over the top anime melodrama but if tou get past that it's a good time.
t. Someone who's always struggled with liking anime and actually finding anything good to watch within said genre

Monster has overly melodramatic nip syndrome. One of the few mangas I've read and it's a bit overrated. Its just le psycho fancy man swats at ball of wool in form of mary sue surgeon.

>The Matrix
essentially anime