Remember when this was an action cartoon? What happened?

Remember when this was an action cartoon? What happened?

>Remember when this was an action cartoon?
No, when was that?

This was always a Slice of Life from Stevens POV.

Dropped the Monster of the Week formula. Jailbreak was a mistake.

The quality of the show is inversely proportional to the amount of comfiness the storyboarders have

they actually skip the storyboard process

Jailbreak was fine. The problem is what came after it and it goes way downhill when they turn Peridot into a meme midget.

It was never an action cartoon, it was always a SoL cartoon and the action was in the background. Was it was brought to the foreground the show sucked complete ass. Now they can't do SoL and any non-plot development episode is terrible.

Plus you can only watch Steven save the day with his autistic empathy so many times before it starts to feel like a cop out.

Yeah I remember. I dunno, now it's all about feelings and shit. Which can be nice when done right, for example Pearl's song It's Over, Isn't It was really good. But yeah they don't even fight anymore. The show really needs more progression.

D'oh!

Can we ban the use of the term 'Slice of Life' from this board since clearly no one knows what it means? Are live action sitcoms slices of life? No, they are comedies, sometimes sprinkled with drama. Steven Universe was an action comedy that slowly dropped the comedy to delve into more drama. Now that it dropped the action, is just drama, borderline melodrama since fuck if the characters matter as much as having them argue and cry for the sake of it.

Well, we're exactly 20 episodes into Season 4, so we're gearing up towards the season finale. Past finales are as such:

>Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem
>The Return/Jailbreak
>It Could've Been Great/Message Received/Log Date 7 15 2
>Beta/Earthlings/Back to the Moon/Bubbled

If these are anything to go by, at least SOMETHING should happen to shake things up within the next six episodes.

Live action sitcoms are SOLs.
SU was never an outright action show and while it's gotten dramatic, it's not a drama either. It's literally a slice of Stevens life as he encounters various situations ranging from gem monsters to exploring Beach City to singing Sadies song. Sometimes the slice we encounter has action and drama, sometimes it's Steven being a weirdo, playing games, or doing stuff with the townies.

The first season had a fight every ep.

it was always shit

Remember when they broke a guy out of an international space station in a big heist where they actually had a close brush with two of the show's biggest villains themselves

It wasn't even like fucking ten episodes ago cmon

this. i remember when pony was an action show

Problem is that arcs like that are now padded with ten episodes of fluff on both sides nowadays. Sure, seasons 1 and 2 had cooldown episodes in between plot moments. But even then they still deigned to have action in them.

Season 4 just doesn't most of the time and its getting fucking lame.

Constant action can sometimes drag a series down, there needs to be breathers once in awhile.

Plus, realistically, they're not getting attacked all the time.

Every single episode is through Steven's eyes. I can't think of any other cartoon on right now that is more SoL than SU

I agree but the problem is the recent episodes that had nothing to do with the plot were absolutely horrible

It wasn't nearly as cool as you wrote it man, the second time i watch it i realise that it was kind of lame

>Problem is that arcs like that are now padded with ten episodes of fluff on both sides nowadays
No, the problem is that arcs like that feel completely isolated since they're sandwiched between hiatuses which themselves are sandwiches with the townie episodes that feel much longer than they should because theyre in the weekly format while the plot episodes all happen at once

So you're not disagreeing with me? Maybe just maybe, having alot of townie episodes is a mistake if you can't guarantee a set schedule. Why make people wait even longer for action than they already have to.

If not for Yellow Diamond's song the whole arc would've been very anti-climactic in general.

It's more like:
Remember when Steven had a mysterious vision and then fucked around in Korea and his Dad got kidnapped by Blue Diamond so he went into space where he cried the whole ride over to the Diamonds ship, got thrown into a frilly human zoo where everyone was a bunch of pretty hippies, and then ran into no threats because all the obstacles were too busy singing (Diamonds), walking around with their eyes closed (Agate), or were just flat out allies (Amythysts)? And then they went home.

Steven Universe caused The YouTube Comments to be cancer

>So you're not disagreeing with me?
My issue is the schedule, not the actual content of the episodes. The schedule colors the content.

>Constant action can sometimes drag a series down
Retard

Literally, the entirely of CN's social media comments are:
>WHERE IS STEVEN UNIVERSE
>Why don't you cancel this trash and air more Steven Universe
>Next time you put Steven Universe on hiatus, tell the fanbase!
>If CartoonNetwork wants to be successful, they need to start airing more Steven Universe.

And anything that shows Steven Universe boils down it:
>OMG I'm crying
>This is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen
>AAAHH the Crewniverse is the best animation team ever!

And you know what's sad? These aren't even teenagers. These are people well into their 20's. I know because I fucking have some friends who act like this who are 24+.

I get that hyperbole and shit taste is ranpant on the internet but you need to get thicker skin man, that shit its common

Just let it go dude, just walk away

it's scifi, you fucking retards

It's common among children and teens. Once it gets to people in their late 20's saying those things about a cartoon that really is targeted for children, it becomes embarrassing.

It's why the Barneyfag epidemic is fucking atrocious in comparison to Frozen which was actually extremely popular with its target audience.

It's also alternative history. Since you know, Gems have been on Earth since forever and have influenced human development. Apparently.

Yeah, all those changes they made. Like how there's no Russia and money looks different and there are no holidays. But every city is still exactly the same, like the faux New York City being right next to New Jersey and how Korea has the same culture and Japan apparently still makes the exact same video games and technology.