>Western animated series for adults
>not a comedy but rather an action show or some other genre

Will it ever happen?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YIYQVIGnI0s
youtu.be/6k0XUAfIlxA
youtube.com/watch?v=8F_rXxp6KY8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'd say this latest season of Samurai Jack qualifies.

Never

youtu.be/YIYQVIGnI0s

Samurai Jack s5 is at least for upper teens. Also, that Spawn show from HBO IIRC.

Anyway, no, not for a long long time. Way too expensive, nerds pirate the episodes, and nobody has managed to figure out a Western equivalent to the Anime merch clusterfuck.

It already happened, retard.

Animation to the West is irrevocably seen as immature and lowbrow. A non-comedy Western animated series would never be taken seriously because Westerners see cartoons and think "kiddy shit."

Already happened bruh, it's called Samurai Jack's fifth season

Can it have comedy as an element, but not a focus? if so, samurai jack counts. there are others, I know it, but can't think of them

Boondocks

boondocks is pure comedy

It's action / slice of life

HBO Spawn, MTV Aeon Flux the Maxx and that Spider-man series they did.

Venture Bros.

Just sell big tiddie figures and ignore the femenazis

Alright, so when is this going to stop so the animation industry can stop suffocating?

Nigga, are you blind?

My gut says maybe. Hollywoo is tied to what already works, so Comedy Central and FX have proven to themselves that Adult/Teen Cartoons sell adspace enough to justify cost. I think on the cable networks HBO or possibly even SyFy could make it work but they would have to have a pitch so good it lets cuts past the start up cost and enough champions at the network to establish to keep the same timeslot for enough time to die in the womb.

Probably never or at least not in the foreseeable future.

But anime is becoming pretty mainstream in the west so there's that.

Shut the fuck up about slice of life. You are misusing the term.

It's happen a lot and you know this if you weren't underage.
The reason it never lasts however is three fold:
1. Cost in not manageable, when compared to live action you are spending double the the budget for you scenes and worse if you do anything that's pleasing to the eye action stuff the budget can double with that. Even if it gets good viewership it will likely break even or make a small profit at best, compared to the same work and energy being put into live action costing a faction.
2. Difficult quality control. In live action it's easier not only to catch mistakes but fix them. In a 2 minute moment Charlie Cox's shirt is the wrong style from the last shot? No issue, get the actors together and do some reshoots. Samurai Jack was drawn for a minute without his beard? It will take several days to just reanimate over all the lost frames and correct and if done in a rush the whole quality drops. That's the other issue, in general a actor is the same scene to scene and all that can change is his performance. In animation you can have a charterer go from 5'7 in a scene and spike to 6'9 the next, they can look fatter, thinner, an action scene can look wash to rubbery to the rest of the film/show. Animation of any kind demands a constant eye to making sure things stay on quality, compared to the time and money of watching that in a live action show.
3.The weakest element but it does effect the other two's already large challenge: Stigmata. Most of the western adult audiences that would want to watch animation the same as live action are very small and that comes from looking at those mediums as children entertainment, thus an adult aimed animation project is already off to a bad start for sales even if it is just pot and sex humor and nothing else. So when factoring in much higher cost and bigger quality control issues it just dooms the medium from ever being as big as it's live action counterpart.

i was going to say samurai jack as a joke, but i see several anons have said it with complete seriousness

>Probably never
agreed see
Also note that anime held it's power in the east because the quality in film verse animation were much slower in their cultures.

Yes, but since it's not comedy, it will feature stiff, badly drawn '80s style character designs who don't actually act. It will also likely be primarily driven by expository dialogue.

Realistically, how much of Sup Forums would be willing to shell out hundreds of bucks for a sexy figurine? We don't really have a Buyfag base like Sup Forums does.

I WANNA TELL YOU A STORY!
About a friend I had.
youtu.be/6k0XUAfIlxA

But I'll be honest. Black Dynamite wouldn't be Black Dynamite without that clever ass humor that makes Black Dynamite, Black Dynamite. Ya dig?

But if you diss his action and Kung Fu, and give it any sass!
Black Dynamite will personally come out the TV SCREEN!
To come kick your dick in its ass.

If the last episode didn't make you wet then you're hard to please.

Sup Forums is way too middle class for it. Sup Forums's buyfag audience mostly consists of basement dweller rednecks that both love anime and guns. That's why stupid shit like Youjo Senki or GuP is popular around there.

Making fun of blaxplotation and kung-fu is too 90's. It's outdated.

>this

>upper teens

nah

What do you guys think of Urbance?

youtube.com/watch?v=8F_rXxp6KY8

Why is Aqualad in the crowd?