This has really made me realize how mediocre modern cartoons really are

This has really made me realize how mediocre modern cartoons really are.

Compare Samurai Jack to something like steven universe, where the only way they can convey emotion is through crying, or young justice/tlok with their horrible teenage melodrama, or even other adult cartoons which are supposedly mature but rely on lowest common denominator jokes, this is something that can be considered art, but it will end in ten episodes and Gennedy is unlikely to ever get another opportunity to do something similar again.

Have western cartoons already died?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MvAntxhtuDo
youtube.com/watch?v=U677vwFRSMY
youtube.com/watch?v=3XMCgp4OjUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Uc-OkmqIHtc
youtube.com/watch?v=KPxTVJWkbX4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>and Gennedy is unlikely to ever get another opportunity to do something similar again.
He's working on more cartoons for [as] after this familia.

Daily reminder that Jack is CalArts too

YJ is literally the most intelligently-written western animated action series ever to exist by a wide margin, with gargoyles at the second and spectacular spider-man somewhere below that

The fact that SU has a bigger team and higher budget yet routinely fucked up the most basic of animation practices (i.e. making sure the characters keep the same position between scene cuts) is just pathetic

Luckily we still have Gumball. I don't think any other cartoon comes close to matching both it's animation quality and it's broad styles.

>YJ is literally the most intelligently-written
fucking hahahahahahaha

why samurai jack is pink now? he used to be yellow.
Is not asian now?

True.

youtube.com/watch?v=MvAntxhtuDo

This show would legit fit on HBO desu.

It's a nice show, we get it, but...
it's not as great as you think it is, there are way better shows out there

Genndy actually can make teenage drama look interesting.

>Why aren't cartoons all exactly the same

Variety is the spice of life.

Dude, no. It was good, and I'm biased because Superboy is my favorite cape character, but it had the same problem Korra did. Teen Titans and Avatar had such insanely cancerous shippers online that they infected the writers with the need to constantly include relationship bullshit that gets in the way of plot and action scenes.

He's tired and a little sickly so he's paler.

>. It was good
It wasn't

The worst aspect of SBT was the teenage drama

Now you know why some people really like certain anime.

>Compare Samurai Jack to something like steven universe, where the only way they can convey emotion is through crying
I'm a little tired of people comparing things to shows they haven't watched just to make a point to be honest, family.

>SBT

>Having anything wrong with it

If there was nothing wrong with it it would have still been on the air

I started watching through Symbionic titan because Sup Forums recommends it so much. I really don't find it that special. In particular, I agree with that previous user that the high school stuff is the worst part about it.

No toys sale

Alright Nerd

It's really down to Adult Swim letting them tell a more adult oriented story than anything.
If the revival had been on CN it wouldn't have nearly have been this brilliant.

SUfags are really stupid

Compare Samurai Justice Warrior's ratings to that of the Loud House or even Bunsen is a Beast and you'll see how heavily shilled here and overrated it is.

Come the fuck on man, try to use something more plausible, or vary up the creators involved.

Like?

>one airs during the day
>one airs at night

Together, they fight crime.

Where can you watch Samurai Jack in the UK?

CalArts from another era

but its Calarts done right

>tfw too intelligent to not get cancelled

Jack is retro-CalArts, from the early 2000's and the 90's. In those days, CalArts grads had genuine talent, passion, open-minded ideologies and beliefs. It helps that they were backed by financially-secure studios who're generally willing to provided the said talented creators with decent budgets and a little more creative freedom, too. Sure, you had your trash cartoons and movies in the day - but most the best stuff from that era still completely outclasses most of the """"best""" stuff that we're getting today.

This started to change for the worse in the beginning of the mid 2000's though, for a number of reasons.

The introduction of flash animation and other digital animation softwares quickly became the cheaper and quicker alternative for producing cartoons - requiring less budget, manpower and talent in the process.

The 2008 crash happened, scaring studios and networks into corners where they were far less willing greenlight risky ideas or high-budget shows. This also resulted in said networks hiring cutthroat executives and presidents out of desperate measures to keep the network afloat, even if these people didn't give a fuck about animation industry. Cartoon network hiring Synder after Jim's samples resignations is a primary example of this.

Then we saw the rise of youtube, games and social media in the late 2000's, where e-celebs, let's plays, youtube videos, smartphones and so on quickly become the primary form of children's entertainment up to this very day. Now cartoons (and its cousin, the toy industry) have to directly compete for this new medium, which is another reason why we're getting trash cartoons that rely on fickle internet memes as their comedy source. (Annoying Orange, We Bare Bears and the new PPG come to mind.)

Sad but true, the question now is how do we bring the cartoon medium back to the spotlight? where should animators look to for investors or folks willing to bring their ideas to life? how should they promote themselves to a crowd of people who today have the attention span of 5 or less minutes?

>tfw like once a year an action anime will take the world by storm
>nu-jack getting hype
>"theres no market for it"

even the nips dont capitalize on it

most likely because of today's low risk low but stable reward system that western cartoons function on which makes it harder to be profitable without losing money. For Japan they have the otaku crowds that will eat and buy anything they sell so they can put a bit more effort into the show knowing that somewhere some group of folks is going to buy up all our merch even if the general public didn't like it.

I don't have much hope.

I showed the first episode of Samurai Jack to a known Steven Universe fan. he said he was bored out his mind, and never watched the rest.

I really hope there's still an audience to motivate the channel into producing more stuff like SJ.

Wow nice lack of argument.

Why are you even feeling this insecure about this? Literally nobody is shittalking Samurai Jack, there's no need to drum up retarded comparisons between shows.

The nostalgiafag craze that overtook Hollywood in the mid and late 2000's also took its toll on the animation industry. When the 2008 crash happened, studios and conglomerate corporations were too chickenshit to greenlight new IPs or original ideas, so they turned to old, beloved (sometimes childhood) franchises and IPs as a sort of final resort. The were met with immense success, with reboots and capeshit dominating views, tickets and sales.

But then those corporations and studios quickly devolved into laziness and greed once they realized it was an easy solution to their problems. Now you have conglomerates like Disney buying up IPs left and right, just so that they can milk these beloved franchises to death by producing mediocre or just outright bad content for quick cash, yet still largely refusing to greenlight new content in return.

Marvel and Star Wars are probably the biggest examples of this, so it's no surprise why we saw a massive die-out of original cartoons in the 2010's in exchange for more capeshit cartoons or reboots, only for many of these said reboots and adaptations being trash or complete bastardizations of their original source material in the first place.

First episode of old SJ or new? I personally got bored in some episodes of the original, but I've been hyped as fuck for nu-Jack. It's likely that your friend has shit taste.

>Hur dur you don't watched SU cuz you don't suck Rebeca dyke dik
i am tired to hearing this argument /sug/ poster.
EVERY fucking S3/S4 is about muh feels.
You can't see episodes like youtube.com/watch?v=U677vwFRSMY anymore.

If you mean the first episode of the first season of samurai jack i can understand him completely. The first season was slow as fuck.

Old. The lack of dialogue, and the general tone made him feel "anxious", and he said he was "fucking bored".

I don't disagree with your post, but I just wanted to say We Bare Bears is fucking cute and comfy, and while nothing groundbreaking, it's pretty enjoyable and I love it.

What do you guys think of Gumball? I discovered it a few months ago, and I spent the entire watching it. There's something in it I really love. Mostly the graphics and humour.

this will eventually lead to a loss in revenue and interest no matter how popular a franchise is because even people with little to not attention span won't keep watching the same stuff or even different things a company produces because that company picks up a rep and unless they can shake that off for a long period of time it might as well be the end of the company

Lastly, there was the 2D animation crash in the early very late 90's & 2000's. The rise of 3D animation cannibalizing on 2D films were the first major signs of the decline. Disney and Dreamworks tried to save the 2D industry by giving their directors and creators more freedom with their projects. This resulted in some great films like The Prince of Egypt, Stallion of the Cimarron, Iron Giant, Emperor's New Groove, etc - but most of them still under-performed or failed. 3D animation became the new hip thing, especially when Pixar rose to power with their amazing films and extremely talented animators.

Pixar could've ushered in a new golden era of animation if they kept their game up. But when Lasseter sold off the soul of the company to Disney. It was over. Now the studio is just a shell of its former self, with most of its true talent transferring over to Disney's animation studios, where they now where on safe movies that cater to the nostalgia-pandering craze that's plaguing Hollywood.

And there you have it. Sorry for the fucking long-ass posts, but those are the main reasons why western cartoons and animation are such a shitshow now. Thank you for actually bothering to read all of the shit I posted, but also keep in mind that it isn't just the animation industry that suffering from shit like this. The movie and the game industry have fallen off hard for similar reasons. If anything, the only visual entertainment industry that's doing well right now is TV. They're experiencing a golden age of sorts, but even now, we're just starting to see red flags. Digital networks are beginning to oversaturate themselves with too many shows, or are too busy taking costly, big-budget Hollywood approaches with their more notable programs like Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and the like.

Do you have a source for that?

>episode 1
>Aku comes back
>jack gets told his family history
>aku attacks
>Jak is saved
>starts traveling
>huge montage cleverly put together of him learning, traveling, studying, fighting, making friends
>reunits with his mom
>goes back home
>frees his dad
>muh feels
>fights Aku
>gets teleported
>slow

Were you high?

>We Bare Bears is fucking cute and comfy
The first season. After that it got boring as fuck and almost every episode is about some internet shit.
>it's a panda has problems with his fucking smartphone episode
Gumball is decent but the lasted seasons are not as good as they used to be. The characters got flanderized really hard.

We need to stop or end Hollywood for what it has become or maybe for what it always was.

Well put friendo

I do appreciate the insight, user. How did you accumulate such wealth of knowledge on the topic?

I think it's gonna come from alternative creators. People outside of the mass I guess.
But eh. What do I know. As far as I'm concerned, I always felt there was a huge shortage of african inspired comics so I made my own two short stories and so far people seem to like them.

if you want it done, do it yourself.

Yes it has its awesome moments, but overall it felt really slow.

Underrated post

I work in the tv/movie industry, and so did my parents. I wanted to work and major in the animation industry initially, but backed out once I saw where it was heading between 2009-2012. Also experience and common sense that comes with age, I guess.

youtube.com/watch?v=3XMCgp4OjUQ
It's in there somewhere.

Yea but what is Jack was singing about friendship while fighting?! Then it would be the same

Would anyone like to screencap this for future reference?

Steven Universe by itself is honestly pretty mediocre as is. If you wanted a better comparison using drama you could've said Bojack Horseman. At least then it'd be fair on the basis of neither show being total tripe.

Wait, why have we never seen Samurai Jack and Loud House in the same room at the same time?!?!!

They're the same person!!!!!

i would have no problem with every show having great writing and cinematography

What about the soundtrack? SJ has some decent ones, but I believe you may agree that this is god-tier.
youtube.com/watch?v=Uc-OkmqIHtc

Western Cartoons died around 07-08, IMO. This is a good sign of revival for the genre if anything else.

Someone screencap this, it's too good to be lost to time

Samuri Jack is a diverse character. He is a black man voicing a white man pretending to be a Asian man. He is like a panda in that regards.

>He is a black man voicing an asian man pretending to be a white man.

ftfy

I don't think bojack is "good animation", to be honest. Don't get me wrong - the story is good, the ideas they present are done well, and the dialogue is fantastic-- but there's not a lot of varied cinematography, not a lot of good animation. It's super by the numbers.

SU, while not having the best dialogue and carrying a little bit contrived story, at least "tries" with some episodes. Even if most of them are rife with QUALITY

>or are too busy taking costly, big-budget Hollywood approaches with their more notable programs like Walking Dead
youtube.com/watch?v=KPxTVJWkbX4
lol

Octus and Kimmy were fucking adorable, you pleb.

>where the only way they can convey emotion is through crying
Well, it isn't, but you don't really care.

I never had cn growing up, are the old episodes of sj watchable?

I can't wait until you meme-loving fucks die off.

I recently showed my younger brother some older action cartoons like Jack.

He loved em'

Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Absolutely

this show is literally an art piece
the way they show the fighting scenes and play with light and shadow and sound is awesome

Samurai Jack, as it is right now, is billed as a mini-series. That means it got a mini-series budget

If it were renewed for continuing seasons, you wouldn't be seeing the same amount of quality as it would inevitably diminish

Isn't netflix supposedly reviving that series?

yes,some are better that others, but every episode is watchable .The worst that you would get is a mediocre episode

Fair enough will give it a look.

>Mature Dexter's Lab reboot

Please Genndy

Something I never really thought about until recently, how does Japan feel about Samurai Jack?

When the wolf started bleeding I was shocked for a moment before remembering we were now on AS. Aku's introductory scene did make lower my defenses.

An user here once posted he showed it to a Japanese friend who thought it was pretty cool, but considered Aku to be the best part.

>adult swim
>cartoon network

>The Bogdanoff question

Holy fuck my sides.

screenshotted for posterity

Samurai Jack is NOT a comedy or a slice of life garbage. It's part of the ACTION genre. Seriously, these days the most you get is some pretentious "lore" while Samurai Jack is all about Jack facing different types of opponents and adapting to the situation to make it through.

To compare SJ with anything running now? It's apples and oranges. Think about it the closest thing to action anything of recent years by CN? It's the anime sequence from Gumball where Nicole fights the Cloud Woman. And yes Samurai Jack beats Nicole in combat. Don't argue.

To be fair I think Regular show's end was a good thing it did'nt drag out like most shows and ended on a high note imo

Genndy has worse things in his future. He needs to give Adam Sandler a deep throat blowjob to work in Hotel Shitvania 3. How does Genndy not murder that annoying man?

I'm no fan of SU, but back when I was a child and Samurai Jack was airing, I admit, it never interested me much either and its recent revival didn't get me hyped in anyway. I guess SJ is one of those shows you need to have a strong interest in art and directing to appreciate, because to average people it's just a very slow series without much going on about it, especially in regards to the story.

>the closest thing to action anything of recent years by CN? It's the anime sequence from Gumball where Nicole fights the Cloud Woman
Fuck no. That was the most generic and lame action scene. Regular Show and regular Gumball have better action scenes.
>And yes Samurai Jack beats Nicole in combat. Don't argue.
Even Gumbal can beat Nicole. Her toon powers are random.

user you either show the first three or Jack and the Scotsman to get a person hooked

>this will eventually lead to a loss in revenue and interest no matter how popular a franchise is because even people with little to not attention span won't keep watching the same stuff.

Yep. And that's what's happening in so many areas of the movie, animation and game industries right now.

The execs, corporations and studios are very much aware of these issues. They know that over-saturation and a constant slew of mediocre/bad adaptations can eventually lead to the death of these franchises, or even some of their own studios and branches.

The problem is that they just don't care. They don't think ahead. They think they can latch onto another medium to milk to death with excessive adaptations (latching onto anime next if GiTS is successful) or they believe that some franchises are just too big to fall (ex. Marvel and Star Wars.)

And to be honest, it's probably one of the primary causes for 2D animation crash in the late 90's and early 2000's. People were growing tired of the stale musical formula that Disney was using for their animated movies. They were tired of the same character tropes, tired of same visual styles and thematic tones used for all of their films, tired of the same fairy-tale stories being retold.

So when 3D animated movies came along in the mid 90's, they offered something completely different for moviegoers. New visuals unlike anything seen before, supported by actual plots that weren't padded with musical numbers. Characters ranging from toys, to monsters, to anthropomorphic animals - which offered more variety for story-telling and so on.

But when the corporation's own 3D movies began cannibalizing on their own 2D movies and studios... THEN they started to worry. Hence the reason for so many great 2D films in the late 90's and 2000's... but by then it was too little; too late. And now the 2D animation movie industry is completely dead because of it.

This picture is shit. Gumball the literal sissy boy who cross dresses often and gives kisses to male characters and is an idiot and a wuss....dressed as Jack? You must be joking.

At least when Mac from Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends did it it wasn't so lousy (plus it depicted Mac trying to kill Bloo who deserves it).

It's S2 Gumball. The Gumball who BTFO Nicole. The good Gumball

If we're talking animation quality strictly, Bojack wouldn't even have crossed my mind. OP said cartoons, so I assumed in general, so

Not enough tits

it's only dead until some miracle can bring it back from the dead like some revolutionary new concept, skill, or tech and whatever but we'll probably never see this happen in our life time

Is Disney still trying to create and perfect the Paperman Engine? If they can perfect that? Say hello to cost effective theatrical tier 2D esque looking animation.