Honest question about the hobbit

Can someone knowledgable about the lord of the rings and it's lore tell me why is the hobbit so hated?
i am not a big fan of the universe, so i don't know much about the lore
i liked the hobbit (even if it fet too artificially long) and i am curious why everyone here hates it with such a passion
does it fuck up the lore? or is it because of the production values like cgi and green screens?

Other urls found in this thread:

tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/i-have-recut-peter-jacksons-hobbit-trilogy-into-a-single-4-hour-film/
youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stretched a book that was 300 pages long into 3 different 3 hours movie, became a snooze fest with unnecessary OCs and overused special effects.

At least those are the complains I hear the most, I myself can't hate it since I have a very fond memory of watching all of them with my dad

What happened to your dad

because half the trilogy is emphasis on irrelevant garbage like legolas

We had a fight, he hates me. He still alive if that's what you asking.
Also to add on
>does it fuck up the lore?
Kinda, Dwarf/Elf romance is something that never ever happened in the whole work of Tolkien if I'm not mistaken. Plus adding Legolas, Lake-town political drama and Radaghast being an autistic hippie kinda kills it for many many people.

he sucked me off :^)

I think the third movie stands alone as just being a generally shitty rushed and schlocky movie, the second movie is flawed because of its deviations from the source material and unnecessary things added in, and the first movie was great and if they had not changed it at all but only made the overall trilogy just two movies with the second being like the first it would have been a plenty serviceable adaptation

watch that fancut, it's really good

tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/i-have-recut-peter-jacksons-hobbit-trilogy-into-a-single-4-hour-film/

>Fem Power new character (Tauriel)
>OTT action sequences
>Deliberately placing female characters outside their orogonal role, to make them more powerful/relevant
>Retarded caricaturerized character (the mayor and his minion)
>Everything Legolas
>That Super Mario sequence
Am I missing something?

Even if they were closer to the book, they are still trainwrecks in the film-making sense

What was the fight about

You know, I can't actually remember what started it but I can definitely remember that it became real ugly at the end. Nigga tried to shank me.

too many scenes about thorin going nuts. we got it, he sucks. too mich time on his face. thats all.
oh and that guy killing the dragon in one go, weird.

Why did he try to stab you?

He was mad, I was mad. Why you asking so many questions?

Why were you mad?

I want to know you

that thorin was some chad instead of being older than Balin like in the books

Dads don't just magically stab their sons when they're mad. Tell us what happened

>does it fuck up the lore? or is it because of the production values like cgi and green screens?
There were a few minor changes from the lore and the book. Having sexy female elfs triggered people. But the lore is fine.

The lighter tone is fine.

The part where it went wrong was forcing a director who openly admitted he couldn't be fucked making them, an over reliance on green screen nonsense and the sheer bloatedness of the story.

Three nippy 90 minute movies would have been great.

I didn't mind that change

A dad doesn't just magically get mad all the way to hatred towards his son.

Thanks for this.

Did he find out you were a fag?

>having fond memories of your father at all when he's capable of attempting to stab his own son
>not even remembering why it happened

Have you ever considered calling him and apologizing or forgiving him? Is that even doable?

>tfw sparked interest in user And His Dad, a story for the ages

Because it went full George Lucas--a lot of shit on screen but no substance. There needs to be an emotional attachment to have a payoff later in the film or series. Having 13 dwarves you can't tell apart, a hobbit, a mage, and elves makes it difficult to become attached. Then they ruin it by having lackluster payoffs anyways. Oh, and Jackson admitted he came into the production once the thing was moving, so story arcs, sets, and decisions were made without his input nor a cohesive understanding as to what the fuck was going on.

I came back home from work one day very stressed out, he was pissed too for some reason he found a joint in my backpack I said he shouldn't be messing with my stuff he went all gorilla about me being a druggie, things escalated until the shank part then I left. That's it, simple as that.

Yah,yah maybe some day.

OP wanted someone knowledgeable

>deviation
>added
>unnecessary

The Necromancer subplot is contained in the LOTR appendices. It's literally what Gandalf was doing during the Hobbit. You could ignore it but it would look weird if the most powerful good character isn't there.

the whole thing was shot like webm related

That guy operating the board always cracks me up.

Damn.. I'm sorry, that really sucks, I have a friend who had that type of relationship with his dad and I really feel for him. His mom is almost just as bad, except not physically abusive.

Sucks that it happened over something so menial as a joint. I'm literally a poly-drug addict with 2 serious drug addictions and my dad literally supports me. Otherwise i'd probably die (literally) in withdrawl from seizures and shitting myself while puking. I really fucked up. Make up with your dad, you may need him some day, and maybe he will need you. I'm glad I talked to you, sorry for pushing you for information.

OP here thanks for the replies, and i hope will recover his relationship with his dad

>allowing yourself to become addicted to multiple substances
>being a financial burden on your father forcing him to fund your bad decisions

That's it.

Ayylaughmyassoff

Thats almost the exact same costume andy serkis wore on LOtR when he first started playing gollum. Imagine that rolling around on the ground acting like gollum.

Nah man chill, I'm honestly fine rn and just for the record my dad isn't that much of an asshole just really really crazy when it comes to drugs. I hope you get better my man since it seems like you're in a worse situation than I am but I am happy that at least you still have your dad at your side.

youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk

>Way too long
>Way too much sky bloom and postprocessing colour filters
>That bit when Legolas runs up the falling bricks
>Barrels
>GoPro
>CGI molten gold
>Falling fabric banner thing
>Kate from Lost
>Legolas wearing a plastic mask of his own face
>That dumb fucking bit where the dwarves are charging the elves and they throw spears or something i mean what the actual fuck
>Thranduil being a massive cunt for no reason
>Barely any Beorn
That's all the specifics I can think of right now

>I can't actually remember what started it
>Nigga tried to shank me.
wat

Yeah I've been trying to find the strength to just fucking do it already. I was raised Catholic though, and always in the back of my mind there is this fear and sense of dread that I might be damned to "hell" for eternity, even though I don't believe in that shit.

How do I allow myself to become addicted to multiple serious drugs? Well first there was opiates, the one true love. I was content with opiates for like 3 or 4 years doing pills, until I moved onto a different beast that doesn't even need to be mentioned. Eventually after using for 2 years, this different beast stopped getting me high, unless of course I took an ungodly amount, which I wasn't going to do because when you're an addict you need to keep your stash in check and know exactly when you need more and when you can buy more.

Anyway, 2 years of that shit like I said and I start having these serious panic attacks. Get prescribed benzos, and that's when it took a turn for the worst. That's when I realized I got addicted to a drug that could kill me if I stopped using it, unless I gradually reduced my dose (which I am currently doing). I'm thinking of taking high doses of the opiates, benzos, and a bottle of whiskey. And hopefully that will kill me. I just need to arrange that I will have enough to sustain myself if I end up living otherwise it's probably just metro-train time.

Maybe if you got a medical marijuana card for like depression or anxiety he wouldn't give you much shit for it. I wonder if he is projecting his own fear of his experiences with drugs on to you, and thinks his experience is law. Like if he took a psychedelic once and had a bad trip, then got all freaked out about his son using such a substance.

>LOTR trilogy
>had to cut a lot of stuff to make each book fit into a movie
>then decide to still somehow pull 3 movies out of a book slimmer than any other in the trilogy

That led to a lot of padding and Lucas-level of tinkering and throwing in magical coincidences to connect the prequel with the OT. Just one example, Legolas is nowhere to be found in the Hobbit novel, yet he's an important character in the Hobbit trilogy and is later tasked with finding Aragorn because connections

The tone of the book is very different from that of Lord of the Rings, even more so from the atmosphere Jackson created for his trilogy. It never was a massive, sprawling epic to begin with, as it is more lighthearted story for children.

So almost all you see on the screen is tonally different from what there was in the book itself and it adds loads of stuff in it, either scrounged from the appendixes of LOTR or just made up for the movie.

Two movies should have been the maximum for it, preferably with the similar tone as the Unexpected Journey has. Sadly that didn't happen.

Why don't you go to rehab?

I don't think rehab supports 2 serious drug addictions. Also, I've heard shitty stories of rehabs unless you're paying top dollar.

Rehab is for like heroin addicts who can't get through 5 days of shakes and diarrhea. I'm facing a 2-4 week opiate withdrawl coupled with benzo withdrawl with is typically not very long, but the effects on your brain after stopping usage can really fuck your life up.

Ready to give up at this point.

damn bro. Well I would say talk to your dad about going to rehab, I'm sure the doctors wont let you fucking die under their care.

I can't speak about any rehab experiences but that might just be people who couldn't stick it out and now just badmouth it.

Good luck with everything, on the bright side it can't really get any worst. At least you've mentally decided to quit. Might be a good time to ask some professionals for a helping hand.

Thank you.

What the fuck is this hobbit thread, kek.
The fan version was absolute comfy kino