DC for Dummies

I've been playing Something Unlimited and I've been enjoying the huge cast of DC characters.

How do I into DC comics and movies? I've read some marvel and I know comic reading is a shitfest. How do I follow the DC canon?

By doing some basic research and paying attention.

Since you've read some Marvel you have a good frame of reference to just jump in. Pick a creator and read one of the DC runs. Pick a character and start in a similar time period (as art and storytelling generally are similar between the big 2 across time).

Continuity is something you pick up as you go along. Order is generally only important so that you start at the beginning of a run. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification to make sure you have the right beginning point first, but you should be fine just going on intuition.

But if you have a specific interest that's what you should ask about not just generally DC.

I'm reading the wiki and it looks like DC loves to reboot and the bitch out after a few years. They keep deleting old universes and then re-integrating them. Why can't they just stick to a new universe and fuck off with the multiverse crap?

So I should just focus on a character and choose an era to jump in on? I did that with marvel, I read Spiderman after some soft reboot but I stopped reading before Peter Parker died.

I think I'm just too anal about details, a lot of tropes that appear in universes like these (Clones, time travel, different universes) irk me. I hope they're better handled than marvel.

>So I should just focus on a character and choose an era to jump in on?

More or less, yes. Though it doesn't hurt to ask before you jump in to make sure you don't have to deal with any crossovers or whatever.

>I think I'm just too anal about details, a lot of tropes that appear in universes like these (Clones, time travel, different universes) irk me. I hope they're better handled than marvel.

I can't really help you with this part though as I do favor the more sci-fi sort of aspects a lot and it seems like you're not into them. Someone else might have an idea of places where you could start without feeling too alienated.

Well only some time travel can be scifi, traveling back in time is fantasy, and incredibly paradoxical because it's impossible. I guess I don't mind the clones that much, I think they went a little crazy with them in SpiderMan.

This. Doesn't help to look up wikis if you need extra help.

Plus there's always one-shots and elseworldsblike The Dark Knight Returns, All-Star Superman, The New Frontier, etc, that are pretty self-contained.

*doesnt hurt

Also, you can check out comics based off the cartoon versions if you want to.

The first thing you need to know is that the DC Universe doesn't bow down to Lex's cock lol

I'm watching the animated series cause the style is fucking great. Is Lex as cool in the comics as he is in the game?

justice league unlimited

Well I started watching Justice league, isn't unlimited a direct sequel?

yes

There's also one called Action, is that a sequel? Cause the style looks like shit.

I'm pretty sure it's not, I haven't actually watched it, but yeah, it looks like shit

He's pretty cool but he is the villain, so he is destined to fail and lose.

It's not connected.

The only shows in the same universe as those two are Batman the Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Zeta Project, Static Shock.

You only really need BTAS, STAS, JL/U, and Batman Beyond though for the main idea.

Reposting this from my response to a similar question tge other day -

The important things to keep in mind are that:

1. comics aren't just superheroes. It's add wide and varied a medium as any, with plenty of great works in any genres or settings you may fancy

2. I'm not saying capeshit is bad, mind you. A lot of capeshit is really good, and also varied. Capes are a setting, kinda, not a genre in and of itself.

3. When it comes to capes, the only real difficulty in getting into 'em is self-inflicted. Want to read HeroGuy? Pick up an issue of HeroGuy, simple as that. Most comics will give you anything you need to know to appreciate a story within the story itself. Do NOT treat someone like Spider-Man or Batman who've been around for longer than you've been alive like a TV series or what have you where you start at the beginning. Treat them like Sherlock Holmes or Conan where the character is more a setting for the story.

4. Following the above, remember that a comic is a written work, and the character it may be featuring has little to do with the actual quality of the piece, that lies in the creative team. Follow artists and writers rather that characters if you want good shit. For Big Two Capeshit creators also are a great way to track what you're reading. If issues #25-42 of Powered-Person are by writer X and #43-60 are by writer Y, chances are those are two separate stories you could read separately.

Anything more i can help with? I'm happy to recommend series and creators based off of your tastes in genres, types of stories, etc.,

Pick a superhero
Read any comic until you get bored/exasperated and drop it
Repeat until you realize comics are dumb
Come to Sup Forums and discuss your hatred of comics with other awakened anons

>. For Big Two Capeshit creators also are a great way to track what you're reading. If issues #25-42 of Powered-Person are by writer X and #43-60 are by writer Y, chances are those are two separate stories you could read separately.

That's why they make animated movies based off of just a few issues?

I've read other series, and comics are an awesome medium but if you can quantify the substance of the comic they can come off very expensive.

I really loved God is Dead and Uber. I know they're edgy as hell but man those were awesome.

Any plans of adding to that universe? Are those other shows drawn the same way? Is there a name for that style?

No, it ended like 10 years ago. Green Lantern TAS is made by one of the guys (whose art is the basis of the designs, Bruce Timm) but it's 3D animated and not in the same continuity.

Then I guess it will live on in fantastic /wegs/

Why can't Marvel stick with a set continuity instead of all this stupid fluid sliding timeline bullshit

Action is pretty good. Not related at all, however.