Honest opinions on the "new Aku"? I'll start

Honest opinions on the "new Aku"? I'll start...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dvNzuj79jRM
youtube.com/watch?v=bPaHdrh9vC0
youtube.com/watch?v=jwWaWlqDfzk
youtube.com/watch?v=t7N67hn0TlA
youtube.com/watch?v=7JiDqNAaXpc
youtube.com/watch?v=_ZHEu7HusG4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

(1) I guess I'll break down my pros/cons over the whole "New Aku" situation since everyone else here is. To be honest I didn't hear much wrong with Greg's impersonation at all and I felt it was decent enough to pass for the character. I was about 6 when Jack first aired and I recently binge watched the whole show again and even after all that, I still don't mind Greg's voice. Mako is dead and yes it's hard to deal with the fact he won't be able to voice Aku in the final season or be able to see it for himself either, but that's just something we all have come to terms with at our own rates some of you guys are fags though, get over the fact he's dead or stop watching.

(2) Honestly my gripes with Aku have not really much to do with Greg at all. He did an ok job imo, not enough to ruin the character for me. It could definitely have been improved more, but I digress I guess. My gripes honestly come with the animation and sound processing for Aku's character. I feel like a lot of the issues with Greg's Aku are because the mixers did a shit job. Audio Major anons help me out here incase I make an ass of myself but His voice was mixed to be very flat and lacked those raspy-sounding high ends that Mako had. On top of that, it lacked a decent reverb to give it the boomy-ness that Mako's had as well. Now I get that a lot of it was simply Mako's extremely raw talent as a voice actor and I'm not trying to diminish that at all, but you can't deny part of why Greg's Aku sounds so shit was because the way they went about mixing it.

>the "new Aku"
Don't you mean nuKu?

(3) And now onto the other gripe: the animation for Aku. For one, Aku just looks way thinner in general. I can't figure out why he does yet, but he just does. Also the red lines missing around face and teeth really throw off his design more than I'd like to admit. It didn't bother me until I saw old Aku side by side with the new Aku and it's pretty crazy the difference. His antlers seemed very disproportionate in a lot of the shots as well and it was pretty noticeable. And my biggest gripe of all: the facial expressions. They just seemed too Ren & Stimpy-esque and made him look very off-model. I know Aku made some pretty silly faces in the original too, but atleast they seemed to be on-model and not over-exaggerated like now.

The slight shift in his color scheme bothers me more honestly.

(4) But I guess I should say what I did like about the new Aku since the good does outweigh the bad. The writing for Aku was perfect and seemed just like it did before. He's still the evil shapeshifting demon that has his quirks and sarcastic sense of humor. I feel Greg also did a great job nailing the timing of Mako's delivery very well too. When he first started talking, I was like "holy shit he sounds just like Mako this is great" but then he kept talking... He sounds good when talking low and raspy, but the issue is when he talks louder he sounds completely unlike Mako and almost Russian in a way. But regardless, I'm just happy Aku and Jack are back for one final go around and I'm excited to see what direction the season will go in as we near the finale.

I know the voice will never be the same, but at least they kept his quirky attitude intact.

>Aku just looks way thinner in general. I can't figure out why he does yet, but he just does
He stopped eating after he got depressed about Jack not aging.

>spoiler
Basically this. If Mako were alive and he had had a falling out with Gennedy or they refused to pay his quote I would have a problem, but the dude is fucking dead, what are you gonna do.
The only other solution would be to invent that "recreate the voice of a dead guy" James Cameron style to make it work perfectly.

Yes, he cannot pull off Makos screams and yells, but he does a good even tone, smug and conniving Aku.

That, and the morning excercise - something that NEETs seldom, if ever, do.

>youtube.com/watch?v=dvNzuj79jRM
I actuality think Gendy shouldn't have revived the series.

>I actuality think

Learn to write before baiting and shitposting.

Auto correct is shit. And that's just my honest opinion.

Why? Because there's no Mako, or for some other reason?

I don't give half a shit about Aku anymore.

This series is about Jack now more than ever.

The sound is my biggest problem with the series so far.
To put it simply: It lacks subtlety.
The music when Aku was being introduced was full cartoon wacky, and mixed way too high. It should have been lower volume relative to the voices.

When the daughters are exploring the temple for hiding places and Jack, the music was an action/pursuit score.
The original series might have had no music at all for those sequences. Just the sounds of the characters moving about. Or perhaps a single instrument played with a rising and falling tempo.
What we got was a synth orchestra.

he's the same, this is a sterile pointless discussion

Yeah the music during that hide and seek in the King's Death Chamber was pretty over the top. I wouldn't have minded it if it was a bit more organic in terms of instrument and tempo and less upbeat rocky.

This episode was excellent in terms of sound design.
I watched it with headphones on and they took full advantage of stereo to give a sense of the structure slowly moving back and forth in the breeze. The creaks masking the movements of a would be assassin.
Even the beginning of the episode with the ninja training and Jack's realization he's being followed.
It was a fantastic example of story being told without very little music or dialogue.

Not to forget the awesome concept and execution of Jack as the light ninja.
In the hands of lesser writers, it could have been downright cheesy.

I doubt we'll get anything that well done this time around.

I know I'm probably gonna get flak for this, but the thinned lines and the first time he talked really gave me a rick and morty vibe.

Other than that, my only real gripe is that his overall face just seems thinner or has less to it. Things like the voice I've already accepted since Makded.

Pretty good analysis user, I agree with pretty much all of it desu

he's got tiny arms now

The music in the temple was a homage to a part in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly where a character was at a cemetery searching for a specific grave while very similar music played.

I don't mind the sound design except for one detail. Right after the title of the show appears in the intro, they play that sound that's used in pretty much every movie trailer these days.
youtube.com/watch?v=bPaHdrh9vC0
Along with Wilhelm scream and some other stock sounds, that sound effect just distracts me every time that I notice it.

I've got no major issues. Sure, he sounds Mexican, but I'm not really concerned about it. People are getting way too particular about the fact that he doesn't sound 100% like the original.

Because I know that some people feel like 50 years of endless battle is long enough and want a definitive end but I don't. I think the series should be left open-ended.

What makes Aku great is the balance between sinister overlord and comic relief.
Given what I've seen so far, new Aku is too far on the comic side.
Reminded me of Q on Star Trek or that similar character voiced by the same guy. I won't mention his name.

People get so triggered over MLP it's hysterical. Discord was a good villain.

I thought his first appearance in the new run was way too goofy. Shape-Shifting Master of Darkness my ass.

>but I digress I guess
What a faggoty homo thing to write.

its decent

I didn't like the "conveniently say my thoughts out loud for the audience". It was too obvious.

Right but the entire Jack Vs. Aku episode wasn't? He was literally goofy comic relief that entire episode. But I get it, it's an old episode so it's off the hook right?

honestly it didnt really need one
SJ was never a definitive, conclusive story

Someone doesn't like seeing the New Aku defended I see

Aku, the voice-shifting Master of Darkness

It was the right choice, despite being goofy. The only other option is having Aku confide in a friend, an underling, or an actual psychologist, which would bring in another character to the show, which would take away Aku screen time. The show is very time-dense as it is and adding another character for Aku to confide in (even if they're minor) would make things unnecessarily difficult.

>When he first started talking, I was like "holy shit he sounds just like Mako this is great" but then he kept talking... He sounds good when talking low and raspy, but the issue is when he talks louder he sounds completely unlike Mako and almost Russian in a way.

Pretty much sums up my opinion. I'm content with the voice.

I don't give a shit about Aku, you just write like a limp-wristed dog molester.

Aku had a whole series of villainy to back him up at that point. This is happening, what, how many years after the original? His first scene was total whackiness. He didn't seem evil or threatening at all.

dropping my shit template

How does one write like a dog-molester?

rip cute ninja girl.

I watched the mlp episodes wuth discord in it, comic villains playing to a straight protagonist are my favorite

Aku still has a whole series of villainy to back him up though. Just because there's been a timeskip doesn't invalidate everything that happened in the earlier seasons.

It didn't have to be as obvious and drag for as long. Plus it would be more in character if he slipped and said something like "of course i didn't just wait for him to die, it was a test" to someone.

There are two kinds of bad,

First the "why did they do this" kind of bad

Next is the "I understand why they did this" kind of bad

The new voice is bad, but not much they could really do. It would be like trying to find a new voice actor for spongebob

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Aku was an influence for his creation

>Hating on based Morricone homage.

I still believe Genndy should've rebooted Aku. If he understands that Mako is irreplaceable as he said many times and that "Mako plays a huge role in Aku's personality", why don't just give the character a new nature?

>actual psychologist
Should've had a bit where he talks to a real one, kills him, then take the clothes and do it himself.

Here's a controversial opinion for ya.
I actually like his voice better.

I know, it's mad, because it's just an impression of the original. I didn't prefer it at first but then I kept replaying the psychiatrist scene to perfect some meme I was making it, and I just genuinely like it more. I then went back to listen to old Aku and I still prefer the new voice.

E-RAD-I-CATED

Because Gennedy wanted a break. Not because he intended an open-ending. Now its getting an ending because endings are vital to stories. Open-endings are for lazy writers

Because this new season is meant to serve as the conclusion to Jack and Aku's story. Changing Aku now would undo everything the original series established.

I'm a super picky autist and I was shocked at how close they got.

No it's not perfect but I'm happy.

The most distracting part about New Aku is that weird russian/hispanic accent he has.

I checked out the YouTube comments for the scene in question and I saw a lot of people comparing it to teen titans go and the new powerpuff girls... I really feel like most of these people never watched the original and just watched "best fights" compilations on YouTube

Because that's idiotic

The voice was jarring at first but its growing on me. The style differences aren't too surprising given how Jack looks in comparison to his original design.

It's a bit premature to really come to any conclusions because we've only seen him for a small part of an early episode, but fuck it.

I like him, overall. I had absolutely zero expectations given the apparent grittier tones of this season and of course, with Mako being dead and all.

So it came as a very pleasant surprise to see Aku back with a passable VA and lots of natural comedic relief. I had kinda just assumed that we wouldn't be seeing much of him at all.

It's good.

It's the best they could do of a bad situation. It's not great, but it'll do.

my god, that really is a shit template

Aku exaggerates a lot but he looks so fucking off now.

I expected his design to be slightly different looking despite trying to emulate the original. Mostly because we saw young pre beard Jack looking slightly different in the first episode as well.

He's just older and depressed now.

Made an exploitable

I wish you fucks were banned for your inability to keep it to one thread. It's Korra all over again.

too much "wacky"

Inhale a dong, senpai.

>typical Samurai Jack poster

Then it wouldn't be Aku, it'd be some other faggot wearing Aku's face.

It's noticeable, but not that bad at all. Sometimes he sounds vaguely texan or british for some odd reason.

I also really like when he has this bemused look on his face.

i don't think anyone could make a worse template how do you fuck it up this badly? I don't even mean to be too much of a dick, but why post this? for the replies? well here (You) go

one of the scenes has him transforming into a giant bowling ball and smashing the rebel tanks, he's pretty evil when he wants too.

I think it's okay. The Russian accent throws me off a bit but I had no problem thinking this is Aku and not a voice actor trying to imitate him. Mako had a unique as fuck voice so I had no expectations of anyone living up to it.

Greg sounds like he's imitating what a stereotypical old Chinese man should sound like, but with the kinda gravely tone Mako had. He could have done a much better job had he not drawn out his vowels that much.
The new Aku is fine, but I felt that the scene where he meets the denizens was kinda stretching the whole "I'm a new man" angle.
The animation was weak during the therapy scene, something about the way he moves just seems off. If you notice in the original, Aku's mouth moves so fluidly, that seems to be lost in the new series.

>Greg Baldwin's awful Aku voice
What a fucking insult to Mako. This fag does a better Aku than that hack:

>youtube.com/watch?v=jwWaWlqDfzk

I agree with you on the issue of the subtlety. But I'm gonna forgive the past episode because the music playing during the Jack-in-the-tomb scene was so well-fitting and made me authentically nervous.

Ok, I went and did what I could for it. What program did you use to make yours?

You can tell he's trying to emulate the previous voice (RIP Mako) but Greg just can't those natural highs and old that were synonymous with Aku. His voice is just too plain deep.

I mean compare this
youtube.com/watch?v=t7N67hn0TlA
to
youtube.com/watch?v=7JiDqNAaXpc
And in trying to sound asian he's kind of blending his words together.

What they should have done is just have him make a new voice and say that Aku wanted a change after 50 years. I mean he's a shapeshifting demon from beyond the stars, it's not exactly beyond the realms of imagination.

Aren't his eyebrows burning awfully fast? And the animations hiccups when he turns his head after the scientists show up.

Fucking no

Genndy's said he considered it but decided not to, because he loves Aku too much to give him what would basically be a new personality and mannerisms.

>I think the series should be left open-ended
Why? Why would you want that? Samurai Jack always had a clear goal and a means to get to it, saying it's "opened ended" feels cheap and lazy.

I never noticed that. His eyebrows start off around the regular speed then just get cranked to 11 about 2 minutes in.

>The music in the temple was a homage to a part in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly where a character was at a cemetery searching for a specific grave while very similar music played.

Came here to post this.
youtube.com/watch?v=_ZHEu7HusG4

I agree with you in almost everything

If you pay attention to layout, lines are now way thinner than in 2004. You almost cannot see the lips line when Aku is smiling. His eyes are smaller and his figure bigger. And of course what you said about the wacky face expressions, they make me feel like Aku is not the same. Not just because of Baldwin's voice, which was okay, even if it couldn't make a correct impression of what is sarcastically telling your scientists you don't care for their work at all.

I didn't like the song that played when Aku woke up. It gives the character a "too funny" appearance. Maybe just silence and a shy percussion could have done better.

>Photoshop 101
kek

I was there once too

I dot mind the voice acting. I mean there were parts, where aku's voice was so to say... forced and ended up being not very good, but in General, voice actor tried hard and we got a decent result.

My main problem is sound effects, sounds in general and a bit goofy animation of aku

I feel like they used too much music this episode. Samurai jack is k ow for taking advantage of silence and a lot of the episodes are mostly silent except for sound effects for walking and the environment. But for this they was music throughout the whole episode with very little quite. Now that I think about it tho maybe it was done purposely to highlight the urgency that jack was feeling? Everything did feel more fast paced and suspenseful because of the music. Idk

Stop posting this, he really doesn't. If this guy was doing the VA for aku there would be 100x as much complaining. Baldwin sounds different yes, but still fits the character and feels like a natural voice as opposed to this which just sounds like what it is, an impersonation

Put some Doggo stuffs in it.

im pretty sure the good the bad and the ugly part was supposed to be foreshadowing jack killing her, not them finding jack. they couldve played it later during the quick fight with the sister he killed but i dont think it would have fit as well.

I don't particularly care for the voice, I didn't grow up with Mako's performance, but the character design/animation really bothered me, it just felt off, why did they have to change it?

Sounded mexican
8.5/10
It's the best we got :/

Mako is dead user...