SNYDER, LEE, KUBERT & More Kick Off 'Massive' DC Summer Event In DARK DAYS

>newsarama.com/33639-synder-lee-kubert-more-kick-off-massive-dc-summer-event-in-dark-days.html

>Dark Days: The Forge #1 and Dark Days: The Casting #1 are a pair of specials that DC describes as the kick-off of a massive summer event and promises will "break new ground in DC's publishing line."

>Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV will write and be joined by artists Andy Kubert, Jim Lee and John Romita Jr.

>"Spearheaded" by Snyder, according to DC, the mysteries of The Forge (on sale June 14) and The Casting (on sale July 12) will reveal the dark underbelly of the DC Universe.

>“Art like this demands an epic story,” says Snyder in DC's announcement. “Dark Days posits a mystery that traces all the way back to when I started on Batman. I've hinted at them over the years with Easter eggs and clues. This is a mystery that literally begins at the dawn of man and spans generations of heroes and villains and ultimately leads to huge revelations about the past, present and future of the cosmology of DC. I couldn't be more excited for Dark Days. It's the prelude to the event we've been developing for years.”

>“We’re taking all the ethos and excitement of the work Scott and I have been doing in the Batman titles and unleashing it across the entire DC Universe,” added Tynion IV. “The size and scope of what we're looking to do with Dark Days could only be accomplished by the best of the best. Andy, Jim and John are legends. All of us on this project are pushing one another, and every concept, to the extreme.”

Another post-apocalyptic future event?

Didn't we have like... three or four of these during the New 52?

>The publisher also describes Kubert, Lee and Romita Jr., as driving DC’s initiative to "bring artists to the forefront of the storytelling process."

>Beginning with Dark Days, these creative team will collaborate to "develop new ideas and characters, further enriching the DC Universe."

>“Working with Scott and James on Dark Days is the culmination of the big ideas and endless brainstorming that came out of a recent creative summit,” explained Lee, also of course DC's co-publisher. “It was tremendous fun having peers like Andy Kubert and JRJr. in with some of our top writers. Strategically, Dan and I have talked for a long time about bringing the artist back to the table in the genesis of big, epic events. The creative summit was just that, and the level of collaboration was truly invigorating and electrifying. We can’t wait to share Dark Days with the DC faithful…they’re in for a thrill ride!”

>DC declined to offer any further details about either the two specials or the event the serve as a prelude to, but in 2016 Snyder and with his former Batman partner Greg Capullo spoke about a planned reunion that may be related to these specials.

>According to Capullo, their reunion project is something DC suggested.

>"What we'll be doing next… we think is just going to smash the roof right off DC," Capullo told Newsarama. "It'll be very explosive stuff when we reunite."

>Snyder described the project to Newsarama as "something really fun and big," and later to CBR as their "Batman heavy metal rock opera."

>"It’s going to be a big, epic Batman story with flaming armor, an over-the-top capstone to a lot of the stuff that we’ve done with him. The writer says that the name of the event has been decided, but is not at a place to reveal it yet.

>Andy Kubert instead of Greg Capullo
>Tynion
Fuck...

>Snyder further revealed that the event will veer away from the common trope of superheroes fighting superheroes, and will use current continuity to open up the doors for future stories ala Crisis On Infinite Earths.

>
>“Above all, what I really want it to be for fans is to not have it feel like the kind of event that we’ve seen before. I love DC events. They’re bonkers and wonderful, but generally, they refer back to continuity, or they are all about where the line is at that moment in time,” said Snyder. “Geoff’s [Johns] best ones have been plain-out great stories, but I think 'Crisis,' for example, is in conversation with what we need to do with the line, as good as they are. What I want this one to be is different. I want it built out of the stories happening now and creating new material and giving everybody a place to tell stories that fit what they’re doing on their books, and feels really modern and different and above all fun. I don’t want it to be grim. I don’t want it to be superheroes arguing over something. Superheroes won’t be fighting superheroes. I want it to be celebratory, and huge, and crazy. I am going for out of control dinosaurs and lasers. It should be fun.”

it's only that entree issue. Capullo is doing the main event

I hate DC events, because they all start promising, and then end with the biggest clusterfuck with the biggest deus ex machinas tying it back to the status quo.

Oh great, just what all comic fans love. A Crossover.

Wow, looking forward to that, I'll be sure to torrent it one of these days.

Sorry speedster user (OP).

Could Snyder please do something that wasn't Batman?

I'll read the Capullo issues for the art and nothing more

Stick to what you know.

However, I'm a bit worried. Sure, he can write a decent batman, but he has never written something groundbreaking.

>Romita Jr.
Guess I'll be glazing through those issues.

But in all seriousness
Gives me hope we'll have a real, classic event where heroes fight a common enemy.

>James Tynion IV
I hate that this fucker got in by coattailing on Snyder. His writing is trash. Memetic is one of the worst comics I've purchased.

Cool. Been digging Rebirth thus far, this sounds intriguing.

What do you think of his other non-DC works?

I think you're confused with marvel events user.

He did it, the absolute madman

Rebirth was nice.

Guess its back to business as usual.

As someone who's loving rebirth I'm not looking forward to this at all.

I honestly hate Snyder. I see him as Batman's Slott.

The market will have settled down to about the same place as prebirth by Summer. Those B lister books aren't going to support themselves.

THERE IS ALREADY A LARK AND SHES PENGUIN'S HENCHMAN

FUCK YOU HARPER FUCK YOU

Lark is Duke, not Harper. Harper's Bluebird

Calm down, dude, Harper's codename is Bluebird. Lark is Duke Thomas.

Is this from All-Star? I thought Harper had retired.

That's premonition of the future from somewhere around 40ish issue of Batman.

Even if this event is shit at least we'll get to see more Capullo. I wanna see him draw more street heroes and how he'd stylise them.

Is that a Thangarian Batman?
Neat.

What a bleak and hopeless future. Harper and Duke I mean not the alien invasion.

>Snyder + Tynion
Oh boy, DC sure knows how to kill hype before the event even started.

wow they're really putting manhattan on the back burner

Didn't you know? Everything is about Batman

Did anyone else when DC did that October is a special month thing for New52? #0's, Future's End one offs, that weird extendo cover and villain issues?

I wonder if that will continue with Rebirth now. Everyone gets a Dark Days oneshot. I thought it was fun

Johns has no idea what he will do. It was some executive order and he knows he will fuck up

Sounds cool. Snyder capable of writing good stuff so it's has pro-
>Tynion
FUCK

I fucking hate that they think ANYONE gives a fuck about Jim Lee pencils anymore. But not as much as I hate that trade waiting normies have tweeted enough that I have to deal with more of Snyder's garbage.

The dude fucking sucks. Why does anyone like him? He writes batman as if he never falls asleep and when he does he wakes up to nuclear waste, fear toxin and joker with a scalpel to his own cheek.

The event is rumored (not sure if it was confirmed) to be related to Nth metal, so it probably also ties into the end of Death of Hawkman as well.

I'm all in for artists collaborating with writers on story beats (like Capullo did on Batman), but for God's sake, don't let them write (see: Hitch's JL, Kubert's Damian series, Hawkman by Tan, anything Liefeld ever wrote, anything by Tony Daniel etc.)

After Memetic, I'm not reading them.

Seriously, that book is fucking awful. What a waste of paper.

I assume it'll be Nth Metal powered Despero coming to fuck shit up after he survived

what the hell are you talking about?

It's not difficult. The shit fit already happened. Just write the fanfiction, say fuck it, and move on.

Flash meets Manhattan he says it was not nice to do so, flash yells about love, manhattan is autistic and doesn't understand, batman shows up in a metal suit and says something "cool". Superman shows up and double fist spears manhattan who sends him into a dimension by himself. superman goes and does cool things with PRIME TIME and the rest try to find him.

The league gets jobbed (not really its the Doc after all) between batman's line and supermans sperg.

The Watchmen stuff in Rebirth. They decided "O lets do watchmen" before actually doing a story of any kind. Johns essentially has no idea what's going on there.
But really Johns is too busy doing hookers and blow with Zak Snyder to write a comic right now

Lark isn't Duke's name anymore. Editors told Snyder that name wouldn't be big enough for a solo title so they are coming up with a new name.

They said from the start it'd be 2 years before Rebirth is resolved

Snyder writes Batman as an action film. That's why there's so little breathing space.
Literally everyone of his arcs has the structure and pacing of a movie

>Another dark Bat-future

Not feeling it already.

Well, I don't think it's a bad idea if they did it with the monthlies because they really needs the boost.

>2 years before Rebirth is resolved
Isn't it the 1st anniversary in May or June?

He's begging for an adaptation I'm sure
"SEE MY NAME'S SNYDER TOO, WE'RE LIKE LONG LOST BROTHERS HAHA"
Though while I'm not a huge fan of his Batman, Court of Owls could make a pretty good movie.

But the pacing is more like that of a TV edited movie. He just wants to hit the anti-climax and climax along with a second climax. And then he looks at Capullos incredible art and decides "that thing in the background? We'll base a story off of it so they think we planned everything."

>Snyders Bat additions to the BatMythos are all named after birds
>Lark
>Bluebird
>Nth Metal is a focus of the event

I feel pretty retarded for not realising that Hawkman would tie into this. I wonder if they'll reintroduce classic Hawkman before or after this since Karters dead.

June, we'll be getting The Button just before

Are you retarded?
Johns is the master of plotting long-term myteries and storylines. He did the same before Infinite Crisis, Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night etc. Say what you want about his characterization or dialogue (which I agree are quite dull), he can lay out a line-wide event pretty well.

>marvel events
>start promising
user please

Will this finally be a Batman becomes Hitler story (instead of all those evil Superman stories) ?

I specially remember theyre last book being a half-baked dumpster fire and the one before that was just god awful

Nope, Batman is clearly fighting against Thangarian Batman there.

At least someone fucking gets it

THIS makes me excited

>Johns is the master of plotting long-term myteries and storylines

kek

Also notice how BN was 8 years ago

Is Duke even popular enough for a solo? Then again Batwing ran for like 40 issues so maybe the being related to Batman is enough to carry anything

Fuck off Scott.

Nah. He's got it right. DC is all about potential, planting seeds for stories that may or may not be explored in the future. Usually events have endings that feel deflated compared to their beginnings.

Marvel is a fucking cluster of bad ideas and forced drama that sucks up solo series and derails current plot lines in favor of synergy

>Johns is the master of plotting long term storylines
Are you serious right now? His JL run is basically "dropped plot threads, the book". Darkseid War was rushed as fuck, poorly handled and poorly plotted. Those books you reference in your post are a minimum of 8 years old, not exactly a fresh resume.

It might only get 6 issues, but they can at least try a solo.

Man, I miss the old Top Gear.

His Justice League run especially the issues with Lee was out of his control and by the end of his run he clearly was overwhelmed by his duties at DCE.

Darkseid War was heavily decompressed with almost nothing happening in each individual issue and rushed, quite a feat.

What duties?

I'm still salty about how shitty Brightest Day was after Blackest Night's 'seeds' (and then the New 52 fucked up even more shit)
But yeah, you are unto something

The Grand Tour was good.

Kek, completely agreed.
>nothing happens for 22 pages
>OSHIT SOMETHING BIG HAPPENS AND ADVANCES THE PLOT

So? His duties haven't shrank, if he couldn't hand a singular book then, why will he be able to deliver on one later?
>lee issues were out of his control. Literally just the first arc was phoned in/written by Lee

What's a Thanagarian Batman?

It mustn't have been easy trying to do anything in a fucking JL title while there were constant editorial fuck-ups with the New 52, art delays (by Lee, Finch AND Fabok), while trying to push Cyborg, and throwing out the entire history of the DC Universe
Want a more recent example? Rise of the Third Army/Wrath of the First Lantern
Both had nice build-up thru multiple ongoings, and felt cohesive as a whole (sure, there were some shit individual issues, but what do you expect from Bedard and modern Milligan?)

That big statue. It's Batman in a Nth Metal version of his costume

They'll tackle that stuff next year

>His Justice League run especially the issues with Lee was out of his control

Bullshit. You had ben saying this for years and you neve had evidence. You are just a retarded fanboy.

Johns will make something even worst than Darkseid War, he is a hadless chicken.

Johns wrote zero of those issues.

He wrote the GL issues and the other writers were working from plots he was feeding them

Shill a cyborg movie that ended killing the flash movie, do a terrible Batman script that was considered trash, by consultant and writer for the wondy movie, a character he never care about that he just starting reading in 2014.

Big ideas man

so anyone know if we get solicits today?

I think so.

Anyone else just not appeased at all by this?
I mean this shit about Lee wanting to push artists to the forefront of storytelling sure looks like Lee getting butthurt over his New 52 baby getting completely BTFO in favor of a more familiar warm hug that is Rebirth.

>He wrote the GL issues and the other writers were working from plots he was feeding them

Remember darkseid war and how the only good part was done by guys other than Johns?

So you are saying Johns' concepts + capable writers = good comics?
It's nice then that some of those guys are working on the Rebirth mystery

Duke ? No thanks.

>Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV
urg .

>It's a "Sup Forums whines about bat books again" episode

If Duke is the main focus, odds are I won't be reading it, especially since I don't much care for Snyder as a writer.

>More Batman

Yaaaawwwwn

He is right. Marvel starts and ends like shit.

Snyder and Tynion are penning it: And my interest in this event just tanked.

I thought it was Marvel today and DC tomorrow.

Yeah at 5pm EST

>all those corpses tied to the statue's legs

fuck, this is gonna be dark
with all the metal shit going on, anyone else hoping for some Will Magnus?

Trump is now Batman .