Does it actually annoy anyone by now that Aku is still played as comic relief when everything else has taken a darker...

Does it actually annoy anyone by now that Aku is still played as comic relief when everything else has taken a darker tone?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8y57fFLHnmI
youtube.com/watch?v=TH2f8PiFinQ
youtu.be/TAwAEQhsOiU
youtube.com/watch?v=CnPmtwBiD8I
youtube.com/watch?v=hQLsb7Zm_MI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nah

i expect when aku finds out that jack has lost his sword he will be terror inducing-tier like in jack vs zombies

Nope

No. Aku doesn't need to be an edgelord.

No, in fact, edgy aku is the fucking worst possible thing

It's not like everything's tone before was sunshine and sparkles. Aku was always a big flaming goofball in a dark world of his own creation. I'm very glad they kept the humor.

I don't think it will go full edge, but I believe they will show him go full master of evil terrifying when he finds out about the sword

>everything else
Babe please

No he's always been both main antagonist and comedic relief. It's what makes him charming. Right now we've just been introduced to him, maybe it'll be less antagonist more comedy now or it could be equal amounts as soon as he finds out jack doesn't have the sword anymore.

He is the fucking incarnation of evil, and one of his titles is the shogun of sorrow.

ACT LIKE IT.

No. I Was pleasantly surprised in fact.

He's done it before. He was pretty terrifying in the graveyard fight.

We know that there will be a scene where he turns into a giant ball of doom and smash an entire field full of tanks.

>I haven't watched the older episodes

Watch them you fag

That's what I was thinking of, I have faith that Genndy can replicate that for the final confrontation

Why doesn't Jack just rape Aku?

youtube.com/watch?v=8y57fFLHnmI
user this scene shows exactly what Aku's been since the beginning.
Comedic and Serious

Aku doesn't come out of his house anymore and keeps moving it so Jack can't find him.

there's literally nothing serious about this. I actually laughed and cringed at how the new Aku can't match this old performance.

God damn OP maybe he just wants to relax and have a little fun once in a while.

Demons get bored of edgy shit after the first thousand years of absolute rule.

No. Aku has always been eccentric

Actually the last part has him bringing it back to the front what he wants.
He's always been about killing jack.
youtube.com/watch?v=TH2f8PiFinQ

>Trying to say to THE MASTER OF MASTERS, THE DELIVERER OF DARKNESS, THE SHOGUN OF SORROW how he should act

FOOOOOOOOOL

No, now fuck off.

He does act like it. That's part of his evil, is that he literally doesn't give a fuck.

Did you even watch the old episodes? Jesus I'd hate to have you writing villains

Fuck off, retard.

Because having Jack consent to his arch enemy is 30000% more evil.
The ultimate pinnacle of evil is marriage, children, and 10000 years of darkness

Ok
youtu.be/TAwAEQhsOiU

I swear that if anybody seriously feels this way they need to fuck right off

CAPITAL LETTERS MAKES THINGS LOOK IMPORTANT

Look at this fuckin faggot

GREAT FLAMING EYEBROWS

>when everything else has taken a darker tone?

>ACT LIKE IT
Oh yeah he's super fucking serious all the god damn time.

youtube.com/watch?v=CnPmtwBiD8I

skippity bap bap boopity bop

I think his carefree attitude correctly reflects his absolute control over the world

When you rule the world you can act any way you want

How could this kid have seen Samurai Jack? Are 13 year olds even old enough to have seen the original Samurai Jack?

Aku is too powerful to worry about how he should act.

This. In fact, I noticed that Greg is best when he's screaming.

I was fine with Aku's introduction for a number of reasons.

>his first 5-minute therapy segment was the only comedy bit we got in the episode; audience needed it for balance and to throw them off for the dark content that would entail for Jack and the rest of the episode

>the lack of villainy parallels Jack's struggle and loss of justice over the time skip; Aku has now become a lazy, cowardly yet nervous wreck because of it. Literally a play on the terms "joke villain."

I'm certain that he'll go back to his traditional evil ways once he finds out that Jack's lost his sword this entire time.

Man, it's gonna be weird seeing Aku claw and maul Jack until he's a bunch of bloody ribbons.

I can't wait. Maybe he'll even give him some good burns with those eye lasers.

I'd be annoyed if he wasn't.

EXTRA T H I C C

Dumb faggot

youtube.com/watch?v=hQLsb7Zm_MI

Or growling, like in episode 1. The "WHO IS THIS" on the phone was flawless. Fucking nailed it

As for the silliness, remember Aku tends to swing between completely silly and utterly terrifying. He's much more cartoony now, but that means the flip side will be just as extreme.

I'm sorry where were you when this motherfucker showed up?

I'm more annoyed that his replacement VA can't do a Japanese accent and made him sound Jamaican.

Just wait until he realizes that Jack's lost his sword and tears out of lair like a literal bat out of hell to go kill him.

Sounds hispanic to me.

skippity boppity boopity bop bip

Sounds Russian if anything.

gotta be honest, i LOVE the way this guy looks as far as how the show is stylized but MAN they needed a different approach to his voice acting

This clip is just more proof that Mako was an amazing voice actor.

Even in the comedy segments, he still managed to maintain a fantastic balance of humor and intimidation with his voice. Even with your eyes closed in this clip, you can just firmly sense that this is a voice that belongs to an extremely evil individual.

I don't feel that with Baldwin. I know that he's probably trying his best, but it lacks that age, range and authenticity of a genuine villain. When I close my eyes while listening to his interpretation, I see a comedy character, like a sort of bumbling baffoon - not a wise and cunning ancient evil.

100% agree

yea i felt the same thing. it makes me concerned that baldwin wont be able to pull through when it comes to more serious moments in the new season

It would ruin any sense of continuity if he was suddenly more serious for no reason.

Things have changed for Jack, but nothing has changed for Aku except for the creeping feeling of Ennui.

F O O L
O
O
L

He sounds like the fat guy from Anastasia. I think he was supposed to be Russian-Jewish maybe?

You are not implying that Genndy should've forgotten about one of the major parts that made Aku so goddamn fun, are you?

The show was always seeious/cartoonish, get over it

Nah, listen again. He can actually do angry Aku really well. Sounds more guttural than Mako's did. But he can't do the laugh as well, that's for damn sure.

Anyway, I think it kinda works for a depressed, lazy Aku who's lost his desire to rule or oppress.

His 'death' felt pretty dark too despite the fact that Jack killing robots is nothing new.

Anyone who's annoyed at Aku being comical is a fucking idiot who hasn't watched the previous episodes. He can be both comical and terrifying, and the series has always been a blend of comedy, action and horror.

I completely agree with you but there's just no one else they could have gotten. Greg was Mako's actual student.

Some user from Sup Forums did a better job to be quite honest family. And he could do it even better after some training.

I noticed that Mako's Aku puts a lot of importance in the space between words too. Kinda sounds like a man struggling with English or choosing his words carefully.

Baldwin's Aku flows too quickly.

The voice acting matched him perfectly.

They don't usually have enough time to acknowledge their deaths, that's why. Usually, it's just cut and boom.

It's funny because they basically have carte blanche to make Aku as menacing and terrifying as they want when the time comes. Like, they have everything within their disposal to make this as adult-oriented as possible while maintaining a 14+ rating.

Pretty much this. He just sounds old and unenthusiastic, which fits.

Mako could never English too good. Some words were pronounced completely wrong.

Greg confirmed in an interview that he has never met Mako in his entire life.

I swear it's german

Why?
Aku is what Bill Cipher should've been, except BC is neither scary nor funny.

>that fucking voice he makes for red hood
>the fucking hanna barbera wolf

god this show is just as good as it was when i was a kid. maybe even better.

What a great character design.

If anything, it's welcome.

I think in Bill's case it's just an awful character design. Le illumernadi triangle with a top hat. Spooky?

It wouldn't be Samurai Jack show without goofball voices. Just listen to Demongo.

Always? I think that aspect of him came in with the fairy tale episode, and that was the end of the first season.

OYYYY

No he didn't, stop spreading lies.

>Completely unexpected but fitting voice.
>"WHY ISN'T HE STEVE BLUM"

The user with no taste.

>I think that aspect of him came in with the fairy tale episode
That episode was amazing.

This. I think this is really what's wrong, the Japanese struggle with the words was iconic to aku. You can see it when he pronounces his own name Aaaaaaakuuu really slowly and broken.

I loved the way Mako would chew over certain words in his performance. I don't know if there was any rhythm or reason to this but he would always slightly elongate "Aku", making it sounds like the character took pleasure in announcing his own name.

I cant wait for the Scotsman reintroduction.
The Scotsman saves Jack and says "OY! WEREDJA WEE LIL NIGHT GOWN GO! BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Aku has never been terrifying. MAYBE in the very first episode, but never again.

He's clearly trying to mimic the rhythm, but it's literally impossible to replicate lineread fumblings based on language barrier. The best he could do is pick words to stumble on, which would either sound too calculated or random and shitty.

Did they ever confirm his VA?

Sad but true

Is Toffee the best 'new' cartoon villain on right now? Jasper could also have been interesting if her show wasn't so against conflict.

Look user, come sit on Aku's lap.
When you are the ULTIMATE EMBODIMENT OF EVIL, you don't have to care about posturing to would be revolutionaries or hopeful successors. I simply NEED TO RAISE MY MIGHTY FIST and the inhabitants of all worlds quake in awe and terror at its might. So, in this I needn't do anything, other than be myself: I, Aku, shapeshifting master of darkness, yadda yadda so on and so forth. As for your impertenence, you shall spend twelve hundred years in the Pit of Hate cleaning the dirty sock door of Aku with this tiny toothbrush. You shall know the sorrow that is The Shogun of Sorrow.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He's THE SCATMAN

Post Aku's greatest hits:

I'll start in easy mode:

>an UNSPEAKABLE EVIL

>the future that IS Aku!

If its not the original VA, its going into the garbage.

But this is something I do know, that all characters that played a role in the series will be making a come back, or their children, Scotsman's sword for example is magical, the monks have obtained a new power, and the daughters of Aku are ancient decedents of Jacks clan.

The last good villain was The Beast in my opinion.
Toffee is boring.

>he thinks that an incarnation of evil, or an agent of sorrow needs to only be serious.

Maybe someday you'll understand characterization beyond your pitifully limited views, boyo

Of course it's going to be. It's not like DiMaggio is a hard VA to get.

He spent a whole series voicing a character whose entire vocabulary consisted of the word "Radda"

How does Aku reach these kids?