Aged like fine wine

aged like fine wine

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/HomestarRunner/comments/31ozxb/as_promised_a_link_to_a_portable_archive_of_the/
hrwiki.org/wiki/User:Purple_Wrench/Homestar_Offsite
hrwiki.org/wiki/User:Purple_Wrench/Homestar_Offsite/hsr-root
homestarrunner.kitkorp.com/
homestarrunner.kitkorp.com/sbemail.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Agreed. Even some of the oldest videos still hold up today.

Have there been any updates to the website? Last time I checked, it hadn't been updated since 2010.

for early 2000's web animation, it's as good as it gets

It's unbelievable how much I find myself absent mindedly quoting this web series out of nowhere. One of the quotes I find myself using the most is when it turns out there's actually more than one of something I say "Ooooooh..... There's TWO of them.....", along with "a mills bills" when talking about a million or a lot of something.

They've made a handful of updates since then. The last Toon was in December of last year.

There have been a handful of updates since, like, April Fools Day 2014 I wanna say?

But the Brothers Chaps are more busy with Two More Eggs to devote time into giving in a full scale revival.

How was it that all early-mid 2000s Flash cartoons aged like shit except for Homestar?

>Toon

like fine melonade

Uh, yeah? That's what they're called on the website.

Because the references Homestar was built on were older, so they weren't subject to the same decay as other series that went more topical.

Also, they put in a lot more work.
A LOT. They put out weekly cartoons for like, 3 years almost. They honestly might have 10000 Houred Flash animation.

And also Homestar doesn't too heavily rely on pop culture references. Most of it is contained in the Halloween specials.

I still sometimes absentmindedly tell people that they "did a great jorb" sometimes. Some people get the reference some don't.

What did he mean by this?

well it has a lot of popculture references but it never chose fads
it chose either shit that has stood the test of time, or shit that nobody EVER liked. that makes it funnier. Nobody in free country USA is cool or hip or with-it. all other 00s cartoons were trying to be.
the few times it references fads it's always derisively. but not in the insta-dated way animated sitcoms deride, instead more like a sly reference that sounds like a genuine attempt at being cool but in a way you know they dont mean
like strong bad not understanding the cheat's imac

>Game

MMO character then

>Nobody in free country USA is cool or hip or with-it.
Pom Pom.

With his flip phone and his _Pom Pilot.

Agreed

chawactews

>They put out weekly cartoons for like, 3 years almost

More like seven or eight years. They took a month or so hiatus within that period but for the most part they were on the ball for almost a decade. That's one of the reasons Matt said they had to stop doing it on such a consistent schedule, it was taking over their lives in a negative way.

>E-mail

fuuuck i say "mills bills" all the time.

brilliant analysis. by referencing the timeless and mocking the dated, it made itself timeless.

It's kind of sad even the Homestar cartoons are running with the "hey look we actually MADE something!" joke whenever they release something new.

>Characters

yeah pom pom and the cheat are the hippest, and they're unintelligible. so it's perfect. pom pom is more of a concept than a character.

WELL, MY HEAD A SPLODE.

Thanks for stopping by.

Thanks for breaking my cow lamp.

downwoads

This isn't Sup Forums, it's okay to say toon

Post your rarest trogdors

man, I'm lazy. someone draw pepe trogdor shitting on peasant wojack's house or something

Best 5 bucks ever spent.

Now you guys are sure this won't emancipate me from my ridiculous stripèd pants?

Minty Gargle

Two more eggs isn't that bad

it's actually really great. it just needs a little time to get its hooks in you. I've found every so often I just go and watch 4 or 5 of them, and ones I thought were kinda eh before are now pretty dang good

though i loved hector and kovitch from the beginning. it's weird watching them anything but in order though because hector becomes much more homestarry over time

I know! Can you believe it?

I miss good content every week, it really made my teenage years that much better.

yusss

It kept away from trends and current issues while referencing pop culture things that stood the test of time, but still being funny enough in its own right that it didn't use those references as a crutch. Also, despite its long run, there's never a solid quality dip or point where people stopped watching, it was solid front to back. It's truly a little miracle.

The ugly one!

>despite its long run, there's never a solid quality dip or point where people stopped watching
I'm just gonna say it for fairness, I really think there was a dip around 'dictionary' where shit got TOO self-referential and lazily meta
>i bet you thought you'd get to see all of our indy films. well too bad! OHHhh!
kinda sums it up (though that one was goddamn fantastic. weeping softly into the wrong end of a saxophone indeed)
Basically... I think we were all a little pissed at the nonchalant destruction of the Lappy, but nobody mourned the Compé

How do you describe Homestar Runner as a website?

I work at a dollar store and literally every time I go past the section with canned food I can't stop myself from saying that I'll "paste away if I dinty moore."

It's dot com.

the best shorthand you can do, despite it not being terribly accurate, is to say it's like simpsons had a baby with home movies
like if you like good comedy jokes and idiosyncratic character behavior that evolves over time until it's stuck in your head, it's a thing to watch
or like if instead of 70s england, monty python lampooned 80s-90s georgia. and they let terry gilliam animate everything but he had flash and no access to photos

no im pretty sure its .muffin or .egg

THE COLOR OF INFINITY INSIDE AN EMPTY GLASS

>tfw you found Missy's Vimeo account

Post it unless it's supposed to be private. Or if it's not supposed to be super public.

Helping fish up some images for this is still the greatest thing I ever accomplished on this site.

remember when we found Little Girl's youtube, and it was weeby as fuck? dammit I should have a daughter like that, and a hit web animation. and a cod plank platter!!

I'm squinting my eye and turning off
and on and on and off the light

One of you said you'd buy me lunch, but I don't see nobody takin me to Chic-fil-A.

RATHER DASHING?
MORE LIKE

no we're not sullying homestar with your shitty memes

RATHER HOMELY!
I spent the last 13 minutes trying to find a picture of lucky yates in some other role so I could make some kind of joke, but god damn if the Good Eats fandom does not post many pictures online, and I couldn't think of anything with Krieger, so... fuckit,

I'll hit you on the slant!

God damn did Homestar Runner have some absolutely golden quotes.

>What're you still DOING here, the Cheatbot?

the deke has the ball at the top of the key!
You smell like pea souuuup!

would be nice if they could adopt a once or twice a month schedule for toons though

this needs to be updated to include the newer boards like /aco/, /vip/, and /trash/

I feel like they've just pulled a half-reverse garfield/peanuts here. Started with crude drawings on paper, moved to regular cartoons, then occasional cartoon specials. the classic comicstrips had specials first then a regular show

>Get ye flask

>/aco/
pixelated naked homestar, or maybe strong bad's imaginary drawing of 'naked as a jay-bird' homestar
>/vip/
Ever and More, for sure.
>/trash/
I mean.. just kind of Senor Cardgage says it all, but I suppose you could have bunkmate possum since there's a lotta furry o'er there.

I think the main reason why Homestar Runner was/is so good is because it never relied on outright shitting on/insulting things and whiny cynicism like most satirical comedy does. Homestar never tried to make a point about politics, religion or sexuality. It never made cheap passes at modern day celebrities or topical events, and despite making fun of a lot of thing, it was always mostly affectionate.

For instance, with pretty much any other show, Limozeen would have been a really tired "lol remember how shitty hair metal was lol glad thats over" joke. Homestar was never derisive of things like that, rather it just poked fun at the silliness of things without complaining about how much they suck.

>Had to smuggle these babies past secuwity. You know how it is nowadays. Wolling my eyes.

my hippie-ass mom and sister laugh their asses off at Marzipan's arts and crafts projects
>cruelty-free thanksgiving faux-ducken!
>you just stuff millet inside of bulgur inside meatless veggie nuggets inside tempeh, injected into bean curd, wrapped in fakin' bacon, and baked in a pair of hemp toddler pants

>Sup Forums isn't Dangeresque

Kinda disappointed there.

On the subject of Limozeen, Homestar Runner did a rare thing by creating a band that was very obviously meant to poke fun at hair metal bands, but at the same time celebrated that genre of music. Tell me that songs like Because It's Midnite and Colorin' (Outside The Lines) aren't fucking fun as hell to listen to, I dare you.

That's why Homestar Runner shone like a diamond, there was genuine love underneath the poking fun, which is what all great parodies do.

For sure, anybody can mock something but a parody only really works if you can tell the people making it have at least some love or respect for the thing they're making fun of.

They need to have Strong Mad be Bane for Halloween. That would be perfect.

i never even saw the funpoke, it was solid celebration for me
what's amazing is they managed to actually celebrate shit like rap and god help me it's kind of catchy
it helps when it's coach Z
this so hard. it's one of the major failings of mainstream comedy. it's increasingly difficult to actually know much about what you mock because who has the time? there's so much. on the one hand shit like 'totally radical' is a ton more accurate now because the finger is more on the young pulse and you can get instant feedback, but lampooning has almost died as an art. the last time I saw it done well was MAD the cartoon

>They need to have Strong Mad be Bane for Halloween. That would be perfect.
might be one of those things that would be too obvious, same with Strong Bad dressing as El Santo

i'm still waiting for my strong bad as rick sanchez, bubs as grunkle stan, and homestar as finn. it's almost as if when homestar went on hiatus, suddenly TV animation got right out of the slump it had been on during homestar's reign and started hitting homerun after homerun, and the fact that the chaps were even involved in some of it means i really wanna see just a little nod in the 'ween 'stumes

Anyone have a link to that torrent/download to the full archive of Homestar runner? I know its outdated, but I want to archive the whole site and getting this would be a good start.

Download stuff from the homestar wiki?

TROGDOR WAS A MAN!

>I want to archive the whole site and getting this would be a good start.
don't worry, it's being done. there's no risk of it being lost. it'd be redundant to make your own archive
I've never heard of a collection made of it since you can just see it all on the site, but I'm sure the archivists have one. you could perhaps contact one of them on the wiki and ask them to put it up on a mega or something.

There was an archive made of the site before it got an update in 2014.

Though I think I found it, but its a dead dropbox link
reddit.com/r/HomestarRunner/comments/31ozxb/as_promised_a_link_to_a_portable_archive_of_the/

I'm sure another one will be made eventually.

Fucking perfect.

They definitely did a lot of jabs at hippies/veganism/environmentalism, but it was never mean-spirited.

Redundancy is never a bad thing. Internet archivers are amateurs so it's not uncommon for them to stop maintaining their archive.

These might help, but I can't vouch for how complete they are.
>hrwiki.org/wiki/User:Purple_Wrench/Homestar_Offsite
>hrwiki.org/wiki/User:Purple_Wrench/Homestar_Offsite/hsr-root

Also you might be interested in the kitkorp mirror:
>homestarrunner.kitkorp.com/
because they have multiple scroll button songs that are no longer on the site.
>homestarrunner.kitkorp.com/sbemail.html

I want to find an archiving tool like wget that can find links within SFW files (not just HTML links). That would be ideal.

>Wait, so alls I gotta do is take something I already do and word it differently so it sounds eco-friendly?
>Yeah, that's what we do mostly.
>Check out my sustainable MP3 player.
>And my organic Thelma and Louise DVD!

I feel dumb because I can't make out the accents of most characters. I can't enjoy HR outside the songs.

>I feel dumb because I can't make out the accents of most characters.

But user, they're mostly made up bullshit accents.

Sure, Strong Bad was originally vaguely Hispanic, because Lucha, but he pretty quickly drifted into sorta-but-not-really German.

I know they aren't real, but sometimes I can't quite catch some words they say so they jokes fly by right above my head.

The Brothers Chap turned down a dump truck full of cash from Cartoon Network.

Did someone say Polymascotfoamalate?

I say Good Jorb all the time and no one gets it.

it's not.. THAT bad.
there's usually a few words per toon that nobody on the wiki can agree what they are because the audio quality is too low, but they have upped the quality since

polymascotfoaaamalaaaate
>Feed it to the babies

there's a Chrome addon that lets you turn on subtitles among other options

when was this?