His best movie is Before Sunrise, you cannot refute this

His best movie is Before Sunrise, you cannot refute this

Everything he makes is so fucking good though. He even managed to make a Jack Black movie good.

I didn't even know he directed School of Rock until recently, surprised me

Before Sunset is the correct answer

I think he meant Bernie.
I really like him as a director though. Hes nor really flashy, but all of his movies just feel very natural.
Newton Boys is criminally underrated, its not the pinnacle of film making by any means, but its pretty fucking comfy.

It's too short, if it were like 15 mins longer I'd maybe agree with you
I saw how much time was left and felt like it barely started, I was begging for more time with the characters

School of Rock is a legit masterpiece of a kids film

Bernie is good too

I think it's the perfect length. Taking the whole "real time" structure of the film might have shown some growing pains if it was more prolonged.

You're probably right, but I just fell so in love with the characters after Before Sunrise that I felt like a fangirl watching Sunset and was sad I didn't get more time. Although the ending of Sunset is perfect, one of my favorites ever

This. Before Sunrise is more pleasant to watch because it's all about youthful idealism, but Sunset going into more challenging territory by focusing on characters who have grown cynical and jaded, but still want to believe in love. And the way that we explore that theme over the course of one conversation in pseudo-real time is pretty amazing.

I think transitioning into Sunset after being a huge fan of Sunrise can be hard because Sunset is just so crushingly sad. It's one of the best looks at the death of naive romantic idealism that I've ever seen. The things that go unsaid in that movie are heartbreaking.

What do you mean Sunset is sad? I would have thought it was seen as a happy movie, with some very sad parts (car conversation).
Can you explain more? Interested

I was actually thinking of School of Rock, Bernie totally slipped my mind. Just makes the point even stronger though.

Everybody Wants Some!

Not his best but fun

Fucking love that movie , I think it's the most rewatachable ever for me.

A Scanner Darkly was also great

The contrast between two people who are so in love with the idea of love in Sunrise to what they've become in Sunset is extremely hard for me to watch. Sunrise captures perfectly what it feels like to be young and see love as this transcendent, world altering experience that will save us. Sunset shows two people who have lost the ability to feel that way. The more you watch the movie the more you see how strained they are in their initial interactions, how much the years that have passed have taken from them. Jesse's cringingly awkward attempt to get her to sit on his lap in the park and her uncomfortable rebuff for instance. What they've lost is gone, it can't return even thought they try to recapture it in the final moments of the film. They've spent years dissatisfied and kept in a state of confusion about whether they might have had a better life had they returned when they said they would in Sunrise. I think Midnight is the perfect capper to the trilogy because it shows what the reality of love can end up looking like. They are no longer allowed to fuel themselves with the illusion that they could have saved each other's lives in the way that they are still able in Sunset. We as an audience are forced to watch two people who used to seem as outrageously romantic as Romeo and Juliet reduced to the bitterness, the resentment, and the snippy jabs that can end up characterizing so many relationships. It's a devastating trilogy I think.

12 YEARS

I like Slacker best but that's subjective.

Who else saw the 30 For 30 that he directed for ESPN?

one of the only things from him that I haven't seen

how is it?

Good write up user, thanks. I agree though, Sunset is a technically happy movie covered in a huge cloud of sadness
Really good job by the actors cause I feel like every time one of them goes on a tangent you can tell the other is just hating themselves for what a mistake their current life is.

Midnight was devastating. The final conversation on the outside platform made me weep like a girl, even though I think it ends on a hopeful note

Perfect trilogy

I actually thought Before Sunrise was almost unbearable when I first watched, I only ended up liking it in retrospect because Sunset and Midnight were so good.

There are few characters as unlikable in cinema as Ethan Hawke in that movie, but it does make his complexities more compelling in the sequels.

Anyway Linklater's best movie is Dazed and Confused, everyone knows this.

What's everyones opinion on Boyhood?

It's fucking great. The realism makes every bit much more emotional.

really good, obviously. you can see from the Dazed and Confused scene where Mitch throws the strikeout and also the entirety of Everybody Wants Some that he loves baseball. I assume he used to play in school.
His 30 For 30 is about one of the winning-est college coaches in Texas. The guy has a very zen approach, any failure by the team he takes as a failure of him to coach them properly. Very kind and tries to build the players up.

I was surprised how good all the 30 For 30 series was and just happened to catch Linklater's name on the credits when I watched that ep.

Objective ranking of every Linklater film is as follows:

1. Boyhood
2. Before Midnight
3. Dazed and Confused
4. Before Sunset
5. Before Sunrise
6. Slacker
7. Everybody Wants Some!!
8. A Scanner Darkly
9. School of Rock
10. Bernie
11. Waking Life