Hawkman Appreciation

Name a better superhero Sup Forums. I know you can't.

Hawkman feels like one of these heroes people like more for the promise than the content. I know there have been a few good Hawks runs but most of the time the character is used poorly. Death of Hawkman was a whole heap of shit.

Is that a non-lethal mace?

Large portions of your body can take significant blunt force trauma without immediately fatal injury.

Marvel Bird

>"Got your beak!"
>"You are now under arrest by Thanagarian law for the crime of theft or damage in regards to a Thanagarian police officer's uniform or equipment."

Is the keyword there "immediately"?

But Hawkman is friend to all children!

>TFW no Hawkman Rebirth

>TFW Arthur Ranson is now too old to ever illustrate a Hawkman story

We are going to read the best Hawkman story of them all

And we are going to read the best thing to pull from 300 ever.

If you do not like this page we can not be friends

The thumbs up panel is the most incredible thing, as is the tagline for next week and SO MANY THINGS

Dat Poser though senpai

Do not throw out tools, merely find the best ways to make them effective.

>Also, the same way I said a character with flight powers requires story dilemmas which necessitate flight, a character that carries a mace and a sword must be given opportunities to use them. The big challenge in writing for a hero who carries a mace and sword is that these are not defensive weapons. There is no ‘stun’ setting on a mace. A mace is designed solely for smashing bones and tearing flesh. As a writer, I can’t give Hawkman a human adversary. It would be cruel. If the plane hijackers had been normal human beings, Hawkman would have bashed their skulls in and stabbed them. Even though the hijackers have shot the pilot, the punishment exceeds the crime. On the other hand, beheading a giant space lobster with a sword seems quite all right, even heroic. A man using a mace to battle a T-Rex seems positively sporting.

You are totally right, and this always makes me sad because you can tell lots of stories with him: sci-fi space cop, historical reincarnation shenagians, Conan-like barbarian, or your standard superheroics
I think his convoluted backstory killed the character

Hawkwirld was great, their attempts to ground him have not been as good.

I don't think the backstory is the biggest deal. You don't have to unravel the Hawkman/Hawkgirl backstory from your first page, and if you get a good story going (and you want to) you can take the time to tune things up.

TY user

Well since he already wrote a comic about a sci-fi barbarian in space DC should give Hawkman to Brandon Graham

Kyle Baker is the man, and so are you user.

Horribly crippled is not the same as dead

There has been a lot of good Hawkman stuff, just not in the past... 10+ years or more?

It's really unfortunate

What would you want to see from that?

I love Joe Kubert as much as the next guy and probably a bit more, but honestly, I wish people would give the shirtless space barbarian thing a rest for a while and bring back conflicted noble alien enforcer Katar Hol in some form. It's like the only thing people got from Hawkworld was turning Thanagar into a fascist shithole.

I could do with a redesign of the Hawkworld uniform though. Shit give me a Godbutcher kinda thing with different incarnations of Katar covering all bases teaming up via time/space travel.

The convoluted backstory is a meme that gets used by casuals to avoid reading comics.

You don't have to simultaneously understand every single revision of his backstory ever in order to read a Hawkman comic. You just have to understand the backstory of the comic that you're currently reading (which will be provided to you by the comic itself) and you can forget/ignore all other versions of that backstory.

I'm assuming that you've read some Hawkcomics, so you know how easy it was for you. Don't discuss that backstory as if it was a reasonable excuse, because when you do then you're the one giving an excuse to those comic-avoiding casuals.

That comes down to the creative team however, and how much, how early and how clearly they reference stuff.

Also what the intention of that referencing is.

I suppose that's an issue if there's a currently-releasing Hawkcomic that you want to keep up with.

But if you're looking through Hawkman's back catalog, then it's the same as any other Big Two character. You have the freedom to pick and choose exclusively the comics which have the best reputations for ease of reading (without needing to keep track of backstories) and high quality.

Once you have decided to read back issue DC comics and once that choice is Hawkman you are well past the hypothetical person you are describing anyway.

My hypothetical boogey-strawman is the person whose choice _isn't_ Hawkman. They get recommended Hawkman for some reason or another, but they use the "convoluted backstory" meme as an excuse to avoid reading the comics while still feeling knowledgeable about the character.

Savage Dragon.

The Wildcats.

I'm not quite sure why you care? Hawkman knowledge is not a specifically highly regarded thing in general.

When it comes to whether to read them, especially in the case of Hawkman where so much retcon and confusion doesn't actually add anything to the character it does become a load of weight that doesn't pay off in anyway.

It makes sense to just pick something not as convoluted. Something being complicated just to be complicated isn't anything special.

I think it's important to consider what timeline this hypothetical hypothetical Hawkfan is in.

>Hawkman knowledge is not a specifically highly regarded thing in general.
Thankfully, I don't have any Hawkman knowledge. I haven't read his Wikipedia article, so I know absolutely nothing about Hawkman that wasn't in the handful of Hawkman comics that I've read.

>When it comes to whether to read them, especially in the case of Hawkman where so much retcon and confusion doesn't actually add anything to the character it does become a load of weight that doesn't pay off in anyway.
But again, you don't have to keep track of the retcons or confusion. When you're reading Hawkworld, you just have to understand what's happening in Hawkworld, not what happened in any other comic. You don't have to keep track of what happened in the original Rann-Thanagar war of 1978, or how events unfolded in The Shadow War of Hawkman but were later retconned. Those retcons simply aren't relevant, they don't impede Hawkworld (or any other comic that a person might try to read) at all.

Red Batman

Daredevil

Id like to see it focus on HawkMan/HawkGirl going around fighting crazy aliens in space

Not sure what Brandon Graham's Hawkman/Hawkgirl would be like to be honest. I feel he'd have a pretty 'fuck you' attitude to Hawkman.

The end

On many occasions I have wanted to start a Hawkthread as he is my favorite DC hero, But I was afraid it would all be jokes on his costume and convoluted backstory memes. this thread is good, Thank you OP for this, this gives me faith in Sup Forums

>On many occasions I have wanted to start a Hawkthread as he is my favorite DC hero, But I was afraid it would all be jokes on his costume and convoluted backstory memes. this thread is good, Thank you OP for this, this gives me faith in Sup Forums
This. Thank you to the OP

>Katar fighting with a katar

Doho!

Katar always seems very weak for a DC hero.

>A dude who can push a planet out of orbit is allowed to punch regular humans all the fucking time, but a guy with a mace can't mace because that would be CRUEL

Logic, guys.