Did Tesla's machine actually work? Or was that a ruse meant to drive the movie's point home

Did Tesla's machine actually work? Or was that a ruse meant to drive the movie's point home

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XHKan75x7GI?t=100
youtube.com/watch?v=4T339BlPEtc
georgetownvoice.com/2017/04/25/inception-a-movie-about-making-movies/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

well the end had a room filled with vats filled with bodies

so imma say yeah it worked

Did you watch the movie?

Sorry didn't mean to quote you.

Tesla machine worked and created clones, Hugh Jackman effectively killed himself every show to perform the magic trick

It only showed one. The only reason I'm even considering the illusion wasn't actual cloning is due to michael caine's voice over while it shows that one body. I guess I may be stretching and I'll admit that the clone ending feels a lot more satisfying but something about that voice over makes me want to not accept it

>the "it didn't actually work" meme

Obviously the machine worked. The twist wasn't that it didn't work. It's that it did work.

the ruse was people pretending this movie isn't stupid as fuck

oh also ScarJo's """""acting""""""

And that he was still fooled by the simplest of tricks

Before that we see that a hat had fallen on the machine and later we see a field filled with hats, then one cats enters the machine and we see two identical cats.

honestly epic

As if Nolan anticipated moron conspiracy theorists and didn't want that machine to be the big reveal

if you thought the machine was the twist then you're gatdank moran and you weren't wathing

he only got the machine to out-trick the Bale-Bros, who still out-tricked him, because the TWIST WAS THEY WERE TWIN BROS

Couldn't Tesla have set that up to trick him

Yes it worked.

Great movie.

It did which is fucking retarded and turns a mediocre movie into utter shit.

How is two guys living as of one guy their entire life actually simple?

Of course it worked. And despite killing all the clones of himself Angier still lost and it broke him

It's simple, not easy.

It didn't work. This movie was about ILLUSIONS not straight up magic. Jackman used his lookalike who finally got his act together

>This movie was about ILLUSIONS not straight up magic.
Which makes it retarded that really the plot twist is "lol it was magic". Just don't understand what people see in this piece of shit.

He was killing himself, not the clones. Jesus, imagine the dedication of this fucking guy: going onstage knowing that HE was the one who gets to drown in a jar of water minutes later, and going through for the sake of, well, prestige

I MOVE THE STARS FOR NOOO ONE

If the machine didn't work the whole point of the movie literally falls apart.

pretty sure he believes that drowning isn't very painful because of something michael caine's character tells him to comfort him after his wifes death, then at the end he tells the truth in that it's agony

>then at the end he tells the truth in that it's agony
Well that's fucking retarded because drowning actually feels very good according to everyone who has been so close to drowning that they've passed out.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I've almost drowned and it is a horrifying experience.

the machine was a lie told by jackman in the diary. you guys weren't watching closely.

Look into it you fucking mutt. Did you lose conscience? No you did not you piece of shit.

have drowned twice, extremely painful and terrifying. seriously fucking stop posting you subhuman

How's the internet speed in heaven?

He never killed any clones of himself, a clone killed himself each night with a new clone taking his place.

t. brainlets

He DIDN'T know that. Each time he did it a clone came out with the exact same brain as the "original". This always happened, so each time the clone that survived would have the experience that he was teleported away and survived, rather than drowning. Each time they did the trick the illusion of surviving would become stronger, because it's an unbroken string of surviving.

The only reason he could keep doing it was because he could tell himself that it was always the clone that died, while he would be teleported away, because that's what he always remembered happening and he never had a clone survive long enough to show him how they function. This is just one more part of how he's less dedicated than the other magicians, deceiving himself rather than embracing the trick and so ending up terrified of being wrong about it each night.

FREDDY

>having water enter your lungs and making them feel like they're burning feels very good
You've been talking to lying goddamn morons. You might as well claim it feels good to burn to death because when you lose consciousness it's fine.
Even hanging is less painful for god's sake.

Can't you use google in heaven drowney boy?

I'd tell you to kill yourself if you didn't already do it twice.

i don't get this meme

>get called out on believing a retarded thing
>have no argument
>just start shitposting instead, to feel better about looking like an idiot on an anonymous site
You lead a sad life, retard.

CIA NIGGER

>heaven?

Generous.

Just fucking google it already you retarded piece of shit.

So who was dead in the water tank in the final shot? Jackman's double who finally got his shit together?

that is certainly a much more plausible scenario than a magic machine. recall that all of the scenes of tesla in america are retold through the diary. unreliable narrator n shit

>all the angry lads getting triggered by different opinions ITT

Mods need to clean house tbqh

I guess it would make sense for Angier's double to have gotten his shit together, and be able to sell the trick, then drop through the trap door and hang out under the stage while Angier got the prestige. Then, when Angier was gonna do the final ruse and steal Christian Bale's daughter and shit, he had the tank moved in so that his double would die and tie up that loose end.

it's not like people were checking underneath the stage every night either. he only had to make it look real that one time for bale

i thought the point of the flashbacks was that they are all made up to fool the reader. the machine didnt work it was a double who then was used as a setup one night with the water trap.

It did work. Nolan likes putting thought experiments in his movies.

The experiment usually involves a machine that either teleports or copies someone, and the question is usually whether or not you still retain your identity after being "reassembled" or "cloned", even if your original self is destroyed.

This ties into the movie's theme of losing identity. Both Bale and Jackman essentially have doubles and end up playing with their identities in their obsessive contest with each other. Jackman lost his sense of self, as did one of the Bales. The other Bale won in the end because he knew who he was meant to be all along, and because he outwitted Jackman.

But that doesn't explain the scene where Angier 1 shoots Angier 2. Unless it was a lie.

That scene is Angier directly telling Christian Bale about it, IIRC. So it could be him spinning more bullshit for Bale.

Why the fuck didn't he just clone once and then have a clone best friend to do magic with. They could be best pals and pull all kind of crazy stunts. That's what he should have done

in the book the last clone doesnt die and escapes the tank but he is like all fucked up and he seeks to refuse himself back together with his other clone

thank you

He didn't want to share the prestige with a clone he wanted it all for himself

Yes it worked. Mankind is really not that far (relatively speaking) of making such a machine, either, so it's not such an off-putting concept.
What I enjoyed about the movie the most is how Jackman is initially portrayed as the protagonist and Bale the antagonist, but over the course of the movie the roles are subtly reversed.

You people are idiots. It was a cloning machine, he was killing himself or his clone every time he did the trick. How is this not already explained in the movie? Remember the fuck load of hats at the start of the movie? His trick was horrific but he did it anyway because he wanted to win.

Because he was a paranoid, mistrustful and above-all ego-driven man. From day one he was afraid that a clone would kill him, and because HE had no problem killing a clone the clone would have no problem killing him.

Using a clone would create a more dangerous version of the problem he had with his double, where he wouldn't let the double be the one who got the applauds at the end of the trick. Except with the clone it would be even more of a problem, because now there's TWO Angiers and nobody to budge, because both of them have the same bloated ego. What would stop the clone from killing the original just so he could get the applauds? Nothing.

This is yet another distinction between him and Borden. To Borden the act of the trick itself was the reward and a life-long dedication to it was more than worth it, to Angiers it was the applauds that was the reward and the trick wasn't worth it if he didn't get the applause himself.

>have drowned twice, extremely painful
You're a big guy.

This user gets it.

>Wolverine and his wife both drown
>Batman and his wife both hang

Really his ultimate trick with the machine was framing Borden. The shows, applause, and everything before that was still all the setup. And the prestige he got was showing up later "alive" to show that he was the better magician and that he got his revenge.

youtu.be/XHKan75x7GI?t=100
how do you brainlets not remember this scene where he has a flashback to him actually killing a clone?

at 2:00 mins by the way, for all the fags with short attention spans

Well put

>for all the fags with short attention spans
Why the homophobia?

Is this truly Nolan's favorite film?

Is it gay to fuck your clone?

Damn, I've seen the movie almost ten times but never made this rather obvious connection. Pretty cool catch.

Telsa was a weirdo and probably had that many hats and cats just lying around.

Couldn't he just go into business duplicating literally anything, and get his prestige that way by being a billionaire tech-businessman?

Do you know where you are right now?

>Did Tesla's machine actually work?

We literally see it work. It's objectively depiction in the film as working. It fuels the entire 3rd act as well as highlighting the contrast between the lengths Jackman and Bale(s) would go.

If it helps the script and the directors words on the films plot confirm the machine worked and their were indeed clones.

Magic = Filmmaking

Telsa = Borden
Edison = Angier

Birds in the cages at the beginning
Angier in boxes at the ending

youtube.com/watch?v=4T339BlPEtc

What is it with Nolan films and people trying to create fake twist endings?

This, Inception, Interstellar, and fuck, people wanted The Dark Knight Rises to end 3 seconds earlier so they could pretend it has a twist too.

>Magic = Filmmaking
Wasn't Inception supposed to be the one about filmmaking?

georgetownvoice.com/2017/04/25/inception-a-movie-about-making-movies/

The heist team quite neatly maps to major players in a film production. Leonardo DiCaprio plays Cobb, a supremely skilled “extractor” in the world of the film. He leads the team in infiltrating the mind of the subject, very obviously the representation of the film’s director in this case. DiCaprio has even said that he based his portrayal of Cobb on Christopher Nolan! Arthur (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is the team’s “point-man,” taking care of logistical details and research. As stated in the film, “he has no imagination.” He’s logical, skeptical, and resourceful, leaving the grand schemes of the dreams to the other team members. Arthur is the producer. Ariadne (Ellen Page), the dream “architect,” is the screenwriter – she creates the world that will be entered. Eames (Tom Hardy) is a master “forager,” specializing in making others think he is something that he is not through a mastery of imitating mannerisms and even appearances. He is very obviously the actor; at one point, he even sits in front of an old-fashioned mirrored vanity, the type stage actors would use. Yusuf (Dileep Rao), the “chemist” who creates the special sedative compounds to inject people into the shared dreams, is essentially an amalgamation of the technical and special effects guys. Saito (Ken Watanabe), the billionaire who enlists Cobb to perform inception on the heir of his company’s competitor, is the corporate financier from the big studio. He’s paying for all of this, and, like any wise investor, he wants to keep himself involved and updated throughout the process. Lastly, Fischer (Cillian Murphy) is the “mark,” the one that Cobb and the team have to bring into this world that they’ve spent so much preparation creating. He’s the audience.

this, fully this, how are you fags even discussing this, holy shit this place is filled with retard

Better question is why didn't he buy an expensive diamond and start cloning them and selling at a profit

He wasn't just after wealth or general recognition or anything like that, he was after applause on a stage and to upstage the Bordens out of revenge and ego. He was still ultimately a SHOWMAN, he was just a different brand of showman than the Bordens were.

Besides, Edison would have had him killed if he tried to muscle in on his territory.

What was that 70s looking cartoon that was basically this movie in 5 minutes?

I've only seen the movie once, when I had been up for 24 hours and was keeping myself awake by watching it. Since I was so tired I wasn't really trying to figure the movie out like I usually do and so when the twist came my jaw literally dropped because I was so surprised.

Now I'm actually afraid of re-watching it because the second time won't be anywhere near as special and I don't want to taint the memory of the one time a movie really surprised me in a good and non-cheap way.

Probably because Hugh Jackman's character murders multiple copies of himself in order to complete the trick.

I love how Wolverine refused to listen to Caine about how the transported man trick worked and in the end Caine was actually right about there being a double.

Was that the one where there was a futuristic city and there was a scientist who had a teleporter, but really it was a duplicator? And the main character killed the scientist but used the duplicator to copy herself, and go on to live a guilt-free life while the real her was pulped? Or something like that?

That's not the plot twist, you moron. Learn what constitutes a plot twist.

Yeah no way he was lying right idiot? People are incapable of making up stories huh

the illusionist?

Why are autists so incapable of entertaining other ideas without seething with rage?

It probably has the best twist I've ever seen in a movie, but that said it's still awesome to rewatch, if just for the sake of trying to guess which brother is being "Borden" is each scene. Bale's' performance is so subtle and complex it's really worth it, since he gives many tiny clues and suggestions only noticeable on rewatches.

Tangerine

Some men... just want to watch Tangerine.

Bale does give a great performance, I agree with you. Also Bowie is the most perfect Tesla imaginable. This movie is excellent.

I was talking to some people literally yesterday about watching mediums on the telly and the supernatural etc, and they brought up how they'd been at a magic show where they did the transported man trick, wondering aloud how could possibly have been done. I explained the basics of cold-reading when discussing the mediums, how some other old tricks are done, and how the transported man trick they saw was probably done, but I could tell that they would rather keep believing that it was either unexplainable or way more intricate than just having a double.

>batman tell s wolverine that tesla has a magic machine as a joke
>purely coincidentally he actually had one

great movie

this desu

Autists have two emotions - rage, and distracted boredom.

UUUU

That's not the point of the movie, you nigger.

Because when the idea involves you intentionally being obtuse in how you understand a film, it's aggravating to entertain it.