What are some essential european, in particular french and italian comic books? Looking more for the artsy stuff...

What are some essential european, in particular french and italian comic books? Looking more for the artsy stuff, rather than the kid stuff (Tintin, Asterix and Obelix etc.)

So far read Incal, Caste of Metabarons, Nikopol Trilogy, Salambo, Azimuth, Borgias, Druuna and Tales of Scheherazade.

Other urls found in this thread:

sauropennacchioli.blogspot.nl
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Pazienza
fantagraphics.com/artists/andrea-pazienza/
europecomics.com/album/kobane-calling-the-first-trip/#.WAjZ9PMheNA.facebook
europeancomics.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hugo Pratt
Guido Crepax
Edmond Baudoin
Jeremiah by Hermann Huppen
Thorgal
Les Cités obscures
Florent Ruppert and Jérôme Mulot
The Adventures of Jodelle
Kerascoët
Olivier Schrauwen
David B.
Cabbie
Brecht Evens
Jason
Winshluss
Lewis Trondheim
Jacques Tardi
Etienne Davodeau
Humanoids and L'Association is general

I picked up pic related while in Rome.

Art is nice but I'm a piece of shit and haven't found the time to attempt to read it

Torpedo

>Hugo Pratt
Damn, it's really suprising how close his art is to Milo Manara

And damn, some of those look really great. Thanks a lot.

How are their art styles even remotely similar?

I think I made a mistake. I just typed it all those names into google for a quick glances, seems he made some collaborations with him and those were pictures that just plain were by Manara.

I approve this list.

Pratt wrote comics for Manara to draw like Indian Summer.

If you want arty stuff I'd also recommend Blutch (especially Peplum) and Lorenzo Matotti (Fires, Chimera).

How could I forget about Blutch from my list?

Requiem Vampire Knight.

Some italian stuff:
Diabolik, Satanik, Kriminal. It's worth noting that Italy had it's own public disapproval of comics, somewhat similar regarding the situation with Dr. Fredric Wertham and 'Seduction of the Innocent '. There were concerns, because the characters were immoral, they killed (there's a scene in the first Kriminal issue where the titular character shoots a man in his hand, his heart and through his eye) and the comics featured sexual content.
Alan Ford
Zagor
Tex
Nathan Never
Martin Mystère
Dylan Dog
Ranxerox
Lo Sconisciuto

Max Bunker, Magnus, Sergio Bonelli are names to remember. Check this blog: sauropennacchioli.blogspot.nl to get an impression of Italy.

The scene I mentioned

If you like moebius' stuff I recommend the world of edena, there's also a single arzak comic released.
If you liked jodorowsky's writing there's a western comic named bouncer, it's good.
There's also a surprisingly good adaptation of "in search of los time"

I'm kind of surprised that Diabolik and Kriminal haven't gotten more exposure in the west. Would love to read the original comics but I can't speak the language

>in the west.

Translating that from code to actual language - the US comic market is a monopoly market. They don't like stuff that they don't own in perpetuity and they don't care about end customer's whishes in the least.

So how come manga sells?

because Mangas are sooo cools not like these western comics for kids that are all the same

Where in can find the new metabaron 2016 scans

manga is tied to the fetishization of quirky foreign cultures

American peoples tend to believe that mainstream American culture is representative of all Western culture, that's why most peoples believes that "Western comics" are almost all superheroes when they only represents a minority of them or that traditional Animation is dead in the West despite the hundreds of studios in France, the UK, Ireland etc.

andrea pazienza.
Although I don't know how much can be found translated.
The only thing I could find was this.
fantagraphics.com/artists/andrea-pazienza/

this site has a lot of information and various drawings , if you're interested in learning more

I've heard that Monstress is quite good.

Because it was a project of one of the largest comic publishers in the western world. One that easily dwarfs the US monopolists.

becase they have been freely availeble on the web for over ten years, thus becoming popular.
also there are cartoons of many manga that were also shown in the west

Also all Jean Giraud's stuff

Requiem Vampire Knight

Good luck finding that.

They're still in print.

It's not from the US where nothing is in print ever.

Ayroles works (Garulfo, De Cape & de Crocs, D, 7 Missionnaires)

Marten Toonder
Joost Swarte
Peter Pontiac
Wasco

My point was, that there is no English print.
I read the Serbian print.

Case in point:

Italianfag here, I'd suggest:
Hugo Pratt
Milo Manara
Dylan Dog
Tex
Zagor
Martyn Mystère
Nathan Never
Ratman (if you can find it in English)
Then, if you're into Disney shit, I suggest Renato Scarpa, Giorgio Cavezzano, PK and PK2

> No Magnus

you had ONE JOB user!

>>Diabolik, Satanik, Kriminal. It's worth noting that Italy had it's own public disapproval of comics, somewhat similar regarding the situation with Dr. Fredric Wertham and 'Seduction of the Innocent '. There were concerns, because the characters were immoral, they killed (there's a scene in the first Kriminal issue where the titular character shoots a man in his hand, his heart and through his eye) and the comics featured sexual content.

Also, Diabolik was made by two single women(sisters) who did care little for the regular seizure of the issues caused by the conformists- think modern pseudo-feminist authors: they were the polar opposite.

Does Zerocalcare exist in english?

The old Diabolik stuff would still give WASPs seizures. He destroys the lifes of the people he doesn't kill without as much of a second's pause and thinks nothing of torching a couple of city blocks to cover his tail.

Yes! Kobane Calling is also free to download, apparently.
europecomics.com/album/kobane-calling-the-first-trip/#.WAjZ9PMheNA.facebook

Eurpean comics thread
Great!

he gets better once he gets Eva Kant in the bed on a regular basis.

...he still has no problem murdering and shit, just less prone to excessive use of violence.

What by Regis Loisel is available in english and worth reading?

Same question about Sergio Toppi.

>he gets better once he gets Eva Kant in the bed on a regular basis.

Meh, she's thirsting for him and he's basically treating her like his waifu long before they actually tie the knot.

You might get Peter Pan second-hand as it's prolly much out of print already.
You will probably not get The Quest for the Bird of Time second-hand because it's been out of print for 30 years.

Welcome to the US.

Do not trust Avoid Bonelli, it's mostly shit.

>Avoid Bonelli, it's mostly shit.

Eh, they generally at least manage to release unoffensively mediocre comics, fun comics and enough pretty good shit. Personally I'm a big fan of Luca Enoch. His take on Buffy was clearly the better one and Lilith too became one of my favourite series within a couple of books.

Their lineup is good enough for them to have survived the coming of cable and satelite TV in an actual free international market enviroment on top of that. Can't claim any of that for Marvel and DC.

eurobump

Is there an English translation Diabolik?

On one hand, good, they translated a Zero book, on the other hand, bad, they picked the "worst" one. "Worst" in quotes because the book itself is perfectly fine, but being more of a reportage of his travel in the middle east is not really that funny. Mostly just sad.

Bourgeon is great

Dunno for the first part, but I love all the things he did

A couple, the biggest batch was released back in 1999.

europeancomics.net/

>Bourgeon is great

He's having a real hard time drawing undeformed faced and his art took a real hit when the company making his favourite nib shut down, but I still love his combination of insane details, shitton of research and good writing.

Actually Titan reprinted the first 4 volumes in 2015, they said they were going to release the rest too but are apparently lying pieces of shit because we haven't seen anything since.

Why did Fanta stop selling this?

>Meh, she's thirsting for him and he's basically treating her like his waifu long before they actually tie the knot.
I don't think they ever married?
That said, it's more a matter of him being able to actually RELAX, lower his guard and be himself around Eva

Uh. It's just not the same once translated. Much more "sterile".
I suggests everybody to read it in Italian, if possible.

>You might get Peter Pan second-hand as it's prolly much out of print already.
>You will probably not get The Quest for the Bird of Time second-hand because it's been out of print for 30 years.
Seems both are readily available in my country? Which would you recommend more?

Never cared much for Peter Pan, but I just ordered the four original books of The Quest.

Really comes down to whether you prefer /ss/ and fucked up fairytales or redheads and dark fantasy.