How Not To Apply For A Job At Marvel Comics

Lots of people want to write comics. Lots of people want to write for Marvel Comics More than could possibly be able to. So a successful candidate has to stand out. Usually, that’s by their work, establishing talent, a fan base.

But John Del Arroz has decided to speed up that process by insulting everyone else who works there. After going through a bunch of people’s twitter feeds, he writes,

18/18 Marvel writers, 100%, are extreme left wing ideologues who hate half of the country, have nothing nice to say about the USA or its president ever. While the severity of how often they post this garbage varies, the message is always the same. That is crazy. It speaks to the fact that there absolutely is blackballing for “wrongthink” going on in comics publishing, that it’s so far extreme it’s unbelievable, and that these companies have litmus tests for their stories. The writers take to twitter constantly to shake fists at average Americans (who are their customers and readers, I must stress again) and have turned their pamphlets into Lyndon LaRouche fliers instead of optimistic superhero stories they should be. They have zero diversity, and most of these writers wouldn’t actually even TOLERATE someone thinking differently than them.

Other urls found in this thread:

delarroz.com/?p=663
countercurrentnews.com/2016/12/white-high-school-football-player-handicapped-black-teammate-with-coat-hanger-walks-free/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/87986373/#87986373
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This is why your sales are in the toilet, Axel Alonso (Editor in chief). If you can’t even bring yourself to get one dissenting voice on your staff to go “heeeeey maybe we shouldn’t, in every single book we publish, stick middle fingers up at our overwhelmingly primary audience of 18-35 year old white males who buy comics, as about 2/3 of them voted in a way that is contrary to the social narratives we’re pushing.” Instead, they foolishly double down and tell that audience they aren’t wanted, that they’re overrepresented and that they want a different audience.

Apparently, sales would increase if Chuck Dixon was writing half the line. Sorry, not Chuck Dixon. John has another writer in mind.

Mr. Alonso, I have attempted to reach you multiple times on twitter. I am a Hispanic writer who’s done sci-fi, comics, AND I’m Trump supporter, but most importantly I’ve been influenced by the action/adventure stories of Stan Lee, Edgar Rice Burroughs and others through the #PulpRevolution and Appendix N, which is the kind of content by which Marvel desperately needs an injection. Moreover, I hail from UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business, one of the most prestigious business programs in the world. I understand business and marketing and how this works, and why your course isn’t working. ComicBookResources.com wrote about my work: “the kind of stuff that made me fall in love with early Marvel comics”. You can’t get more diverse than that or more qualified than that. You NEED that on your staff. Bring me in. I can help. I’m always available to chat.

The classic “everything you do is terrible, including being you. So hire me” job application. It’s not who you know but who you flame. Everyone knows that’s how you get on in life. That’s why I’ve just been hired as Kevin Feige‘s new script editor. Sorry, I’ll talk later, I have to try and bring the budget for Infinity War.

you sound salty user

>entire blog post about a random hispanic twitter shitposter
Comic news sites are the worst.

Hi, John.

>AND I’m Trump supporter
Part of the problem, ésè.

Rich Johnson the Dave Meltzer of comics.

>normalfag "memes"
Just as bad desu

I didn't know Sup Forums tried applying for a job at Marvel.

He'll never get a job in Marvel after that. Comics are a collaborative effort, and he just burned many bridges. Dumb fuck let his pride get the better of him

>He'll never get a job at Marvel after that
No huge loss, desu. Maybe DC will give him a call in a few years.

>He'll never get a job in Marvel after that.
You don't get a job ANYWHERE by tweeting the guy in charge, let alone tweeting him insults.

Marvel needs a wake up call

I don't think that's guaranteed.

Most of the "collaborators" will never work at Marvel either. If he builds an undeniable portfolio pissing people off really doesn't matter. Assholes exist in every industry, successful ones and failures.

Do I think Alonso is mad about it? Maybe yes maybe no. For one thing without this story he'd probably never have seen it. And two, it's an opinion from a guy who isn't employed by him. if he was already hired and ripping his employer that would be a bigger problem.

A public statement or apology or even an acknowldgement would be all that was necessary if the guy was undeniably talented and they decided to bring him in. Creates a narrative to follow, like when a big name switches companies.

All that said, dude could be a bum so none of that may apply. Is his art (or writing) google-able?

Why would anyone WANT a job at marvel comics? Everyone on Sup Forums should already realize that even Walmart treats its employees better.

That first part's not wrong, but this guy is cribbing from the sjw playbook himself with the "hire me" plea.
Establish yourself in another field (novels, tv/film scripts, webcomics) then Marvel will hire you. From what I can tell, this guy wrote one sci-fi novel that was published last year. Write more.

Let's take a look at Mr. Del Tha Funkee Arrozsapien's bibliography, pulled directly from his personal website:

Novels:
>Star Realms: Rescue Run

Comics:
>Flying Sparks: A comic about a hero and villain dating under their secret identities, each unaware of each others’ secret lives.
>“Hannah’s Story”: A short story following the life of fan favorite supporting character, Hannah Combs.
>Back Row Presents: Short comics with the theme of THE LAW. Co-Written with Brady Sullivan.
>“Decision Points” – IF-X Magazine’s “East”
>“The Marshall Plan” – If-X Magazine’s “South”

Short Stories:
>“The Romance Chip”: – Irony of Survival Anthology
>“Monster Mingle and Kris Kringle”: – Naughty or Nice Anthology

Game Lore:
>Doomtown: Reloaded by Alderac Entertainment Group
>Tiny Frontiers RPG by Gallant Knight Games
>The Captain Is Dead by Alderac Entertainment Group

Truly this is a man deserving of an immediate writing position at Marvel Comics.

While I see what you're saying none of what he said was really an "insult". Just opinions. Yes, people get in their feelings, but business is business. If they thought the dude could bring in money they would hire him.

Unless I missed it, I didn't see one personal attack. Saying that the writers were all uber liberals who hate half the country is probably close to accurate and something a few would probably agree to.

>having something nice to say about the president is a requirement for this guy to respect you

I'm pretty sure most adults anywhere in the world wouldn't have something nice to say about that sentient grapefruit.

Also, I'm curious what this guy thinks "extreme left wing" is. He's probably still reeling from women getting the vote.

Huge profile boost. Solid rates, and some of the best out of all American publishers. Also they're in a much more interesting place content-wise than DC, a lot more creative freedom.

I was scouted by their talent manager recently, and while they haven't offered me anything yet I wouldn't think twice about taking a job (if I was available)

Why would you even WANT to work at Marvel at this point? To write more stupid shit like Spider-Man's Satanic Divorce?

Good for him for blowing Marvel out. Takes guts desu

>“heeeeey maybe we shouldn’t, in every single book we publish, stick middle fingers up at our overwhelmingly primary audience of 18-35 year old white males who buy comics, as about 2/3 of them voted in a way that is contrary to the social narratives we’re pushing.”

While I agree in principle that a greater diversity of opinions and positions would benefit the company creatively and commercially, I reject the premise of this statement. I have a difficult time believing that Marvel's primary audience is contained within those two thirds of that demographic who voted for Trump. I suspect that most Trump supporters within that age and ethnic demographic have other interests they pursue instead. I'm not going to speculate as to what those might be since almost anything I suggest might come across as condescending, but I just don't see that many of those sorts of voices in the online discussions which I see to believe that they represent a big portion of the buying public.

His novel's pretty well-reviewed on Amazon, but one novel's not enough.

>I am a Hispanic writer AND I’m Trump supporter
I wonder how his grandparents feel about him wanting them kicked out of the country.

>Flying Sparks: A comic about a hero and villain dating under their secret identities, each unaware of each others’ secret lives.

For what it's worth, that does sound like it could be an entertaining premise for like a six-or-so issue long story as long as interesting stuff is going on separate from that premise. Like, I'd love to see someone like Robert Kirkman write a comic book series with a premise like this.

Why do you assume they came to the US illegally?

Sensitive much?

on one hand the dude's right, if you're not on the left you generally do get black balled in entertainment circles.
And marvel does need diversity of thought. because comics honestly feel like a circle jerk of fan fiction writers.
on the other hand though
>everyone who doesn't like trump is automatically "100%, are extreme left wing ideologues who hate half of the country, have nothing nice to say about the USA or its president ever." even though as hes listing writers he mentions some don't actually post a lot about trump

No way would DC hire this dumbass after this.

I don't. From what I can tell, Americans want every non-native English speaker removed.

That's an incorrect assessment. We're fine with legal immigrants who learn English, e.g. Melania.

of course, you have to be a self involved opinionated leftist to push through the clusterfuck that is the entertainment industry and get your work made
if they weren't those types they would have given up trying a long time ago

Funnily enough I think the dude has a better chance of working at Marvel still than DC lol. I feel like marvel appreciates a troll. DC wants their writers and artists to just be names on a book if they aren't Scott Snyder. Then the let the little faggot babble all day.

It's like videogames, man. Straight white men are THE audience. Pandering to homos and trannies and blacks isn't going to get you much more sales, because ultimately it's straight white men who buy your product.

There's nothing wrong with trying to broaden your appeal. In the end though, you need to know who your MAIN audience is.

>In yesterday’s post on Marvel, I talked about the global problems that have gone on for a long time that have consequently torpedoed the comic book industry over decades. Disney is either complacent in this or they are pushing this decline of this division, which can only be described as a complete business failure. It doesn’t make sense at all from a rational economic mindset. The only place it does make sense is in the bizarre emotions of social justice warriors. Like science fiction publishing, like the convention scene that decided I’m not welcome, the exact same issue plagues Marvel to where they can’t make rational decisions.

>Marvel has a diversity problem.

>In that they have none in terms of diversity of thought. They are a pure social justice propaganda arm. This is dangerous when it comes to creating art, as if you have everyone thinking in lockstep, unable to get outside the box, you’ll have creative stagnation. More than that, when you turn children’s adventure fiction into adult message browbeating, you lose any semblance of fun that a product formerly had. It’s no wonder that sales have dropped by about half, when they have an entire writing core of every single one of their monthly writers hell-bent on a crusade of alienating half of the country in some social engineering through comics. I don’t exaggerate my numbers either, and I did some leg work for you all so you might better make educated purchases, or lack thereof, of Marvel Comics.

>average Americans (who are their customers

The average American owns a comic shop?

>average american
>reading
lol

>Just looking on the comics rack, you can see where Marvel has decided to make a foolish stand. No sane person would go and buy these comics anymore, there’s nothing of value there. All they have left is legacy purchasers who have made such a habit of picking them up that they can’t drop it. Even those have been dwindling because Marvel’s taken their political nonsense to more of an extreme than Tor Books or Hollywood itself. Stories themselves don’t exist in a vacuum, however, it stems from their editorial and who they hire to write, which are no longer the brightest creative minds, but SJWs who yell the loudest and who purposefully virtue signal at every turn.

>According to marvel.com, there are 18 writers on the current releases. I went through each and every one of their twitter accounts to give you a summary of where they spend their time on social media in terms of politics. I don’t mind people getting political occasionally, or even necessarily holding left wing views, but when it’s constant beating the drum of anger and hate, that’s what makes an SJW, and that’s where one needs to stay away (and is a primary reason for Marvel’s steep sales decline in recent years). Here’s a brief summary of the writers’ twitter feeds, as I’ve gone through all of them for you:

>Mike Costa – Constant Anti-Trump posts.

>Jason Aaron – Anti-Trump, has #resist greenpeace retweet from inauguration. However, he doesn’t post politically very often, not pushing some anger crusade all the time.

>Brian Michael Bendis – Anti-Trump posts, but posts so much it’s not a large percentage of his tweets.

>Cullen Bunn – Rabid anti-Trump.

>Becky Cloonan – a couple of snarky anti-Trump posts pre-election, but no political posts since. From the feeds, appears to be the sanest of the Marvel staff.

>Gerry Duggan – Constant Anti-Trump posts, retweets Bernie (he can still win!).

>Al Ewing – British, and doesn’t seem to post a lot of American politics, but very heavily steeped in globalism in immigration “rights” in his posts. Anti-Western civilization.

>Roxanne Gay – Constant rants about feminism, anti-Trump posts.

>Zac Gorman – Complains about Republicans as “joke”, but only one recent post as such. Low percentage of political tweets.

>Derek Landy – Anti-Trump, not overwhelming in political posts. Mostly sticks to posts about writing.

>Kate Leth – Regular anti-Trump posts. Constant complaints about some boogeyman “privilege”, rambles at racist, sexist, etc., “white dudes”. Rants about queer issues.

>Stuart Moore – Regular posts anti-republican, anti-Trump.

>Greg Pak – Complains about “representation” of different races. Lots of anti-Trump posts.

>Dan Slott – Anti-trump rants all the time.

>Charles Soule – Constant anti-trump rants.

>Nick Spencer – Rants about trump/republicans and calls anyone who disagrees with him flat out evil.

>G.Willow Wilson – “Muslim” Ms. Marvel writer, rants anti-Trump posts all the time.

>Chip Zdarksy – Constant anti-Trump posts.

delarroz.com/?p=663

>I understand business and marketing and how this works

A monopoly got their back and they're trophy wives to a mega-conglomerate, so why'd they care?

>Anti-Western civilization.
So Ewing is a weeb? Based Ewing.

>Lots of people want to write for Marvel Comics

Human garbage will always be with us

I can buy this.

Have you ever seen a modern Marvel comic that decided to get political and that's not one-sidedly left-wing? The best we can hope for is for it to be neutral.

He couldn't figure out a better way to say Ewing wants Britain replaced with Muslims.

This is probably the most autistic thing I've seen all week. Also,

>"Muslim"

Classy.

Hastings's Vote Loki achieved neutrality, one of the best political comics Marvel's done.

What kind of fucktard goes to these lengths, he's only making himself look worse

The problem is that whites are going to go the way of the Dodo eventually, so it's better to lay out the groundwork for the future reading base well in advance. It seems pretty logical to me.

>You fucking idiot, give me a job.

Well then

yeah they're desperate for talent

aside from mr. bean nothing of value is lost

Better than Keith leith or the bitch that writes mockingbird

most of that demographic didn't even vote, so it's stupid to say trump voters or anything else.

Are you saying White genocide is real?

>We're fine with legal immigrants who learn English and are white, e.g. Melania.

Ftfy as people who say this shut are usually racist as fuck.

Where did you get this idea?

I see people say this all the time. The only sources I've ever found simply state that in the USA whites will not be the majority. We're not disappearing.

I recognize you have no reason to answer, and I have no reason to believe your answer but are you white? And who told you this lie?

Also, whites become a minority in most estimates after a few decades. No time soon. So again, what makes you think that just because we'll lose majority status in the US that whites across the planet will disappear?

>Are you saying White genocide is real?

The only way for that to stop is for all of us to agree that little blonde girls are erotic.

Also renounce Christianity for Odinism.

Also, I wonder if SJWs realise that once whites DO become a minority, then their rhetoric will be turned against them eventually?

Twitter was a mistake

I like this guy
for how everyone is going 'how salty lololol' the thread is already a giant mine of white ripe for harvesting

user, the rest of the globe is full of niggers, people without US passports aren't white.

>SJWs threaten my red, white, and blue freedomz in comics, le 1984 orwell total communism
>here is a list of 18 Marvel writers who tweet things against the guy I voted for president
He is 100% bitchmade just like most Marvel writers , I'll give him that. But is it enough to hire him, I wouldn't know, man.

Funny. But the sad thing is non-white people believe this.

I really don't think that kid was shit posting above when he said "white people are going the way of the dodo".

>people are still so booty blasted about modern Marvel not being more right-wing/conservative

Do you all really expect a super hero to lament about the "gay agenda" being "pushed down their throats" or how one of their friends lost a job to a minority? Or how about a superhero blasting all illegal immigrants as being criminals and rapists? People jerk off to the notion of a conservative writer being able to get up on a soapbox in modern comics, but the reality is that superheroes have never said this shit. Because wanting to marginalize groups of people isn't very superheroic. If there weren't Marv books with the main character lamenting the "forced multiculturalism" of the country back in the 70s/80s what makes you think that wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb now?

>18/18 Marvel writers, 100%, are extreme left
and this is where you fucked up John

Nobody expects this.

Politics in comics have generally been liberal throughout the years. The problem is that has extended to just the very heroes themselves. There really is no defending the swift, obvious shift that happened and continues since ANAD. It was All New All-non-white. It's not being salty to call that out. Its being salty to wonder why we don't want to buy it.

We just want superheroes being superheroes. Go fit agendas into indies and creator owned projects.

There have been nonwhite Republican legal immigrants who get by just fine, like literal criminal Dinesh D'Souza. All the Sup Forums kids love Obama's literal Kenyan Muslim brother.
And not even a minority, just no longer the majority. A plurality.

I think this makes sense. I guess you could call me a liberal for the lack of better word, but I do agree that Marvel's too one-note in everything they put out. Left, right and everyone between are capable of coming up with stories and maybe different views could even help to spicy things up.

On the other hand certain people tend to blow things out of proportions on the internet, and hiring a person with the ''wrong'' worldview would most likely blast Marvel's face clean off.

>The problem is that whites are going to go the way of the Dodo eventually, so it's better to lay out the groundwork for the future reading base well in advance. It seems pretty logical to me.

When that ethno-cultural bridge is crossed then it honestly doesn't matter if you 'laid a groundwork for smooth transition' because the rising culture isn't going to give a shit about your stories, your systems, or even want to inherit your products and companies, they'll be too busy fashioning their own creations and accomplishments to take pride in (or just scouring away the last 'decadent' remnants of the previous culture if history is any indication.)

Any technology or concept that crosses the transition is reinterpreted by the next culture that inherits it, attempting to interpret it for them is at best pointless, most probably condescending, and at worst taking an active part of the devaluation and demise of your own culture.

Marvel comics have published books with a conservative message in the past. The Punisher became a massive hit with three ongoings at the end of Reagan's and through Bush's America.

From what I gather, the US right is very busy with insisting that Sweden is full of Africans, France has finally been conquered by North Africans, basically everything is becoming black and we gotta raise the drawbridge and release the hounds or we'll be swamped.

Comics like that routinely make the rounds of EXAMPLES OF THE UTTER BIGOTRY OF THE PAST WE CAN'T LET OUR CHERISHED MEDIUM GO THROUGH AGAIN in your bazinga site of choice though

>implying a clear cut-off point

You seriously think that Mexico resembles Spain?

Sweden being full of Africans would be a better change of pace compared to what's actually happening there. They are so spineless, that they have refugee children raping native children, and their solution is to MOVE THE KIDS TO ANOTHER SCHOOL. (on the plus side, the principal who defended them resigned)

There's always at least moving back to Ennis-style edgy working class liberalism that wouldn't have a place in current Marvel.

Meh, seems like a small price to pay for freedom, liberty and cops that don't execute people in the streets.

it seems like you're the one who's salty, user. give it up. we won.

That examples not even conservative though. That's just straight up homophobic. I'm pretty sure the conservative platform back then wasn't "gays will try to rape you in the shower". There's no politics on that page. Just stereotypes.

>The Punisher
The Punisher never went on a soapbox lamenting the downfall of the white man or the country having too many Mexican immigrants.

I don't understand how you could look at that page as anything but bigoted.

Why are you equating being liberal to featuring comics with non-white protagonists? Is being non-white inherently non-conservative? Does being conservative automatically make you opposed to non-white people being represented in comics?

and this is how you know this guy is BAIT

>countercurrentnews.com/2016/12/white-high-school-football-player-handicapped-black-teammate-with-coat-hanger-walks-free/

White students in America get slaps on the wrist for assault too, user.

That scene is actually based on a true experience Jim Shooter had while living at a YMCA in New York as a teenager.

>I don't understand how you could look at that page as anything but bigoted.

If every man is a potential rapist being fully confirmed in the pages of a comic book then yes, I suppose it is bigoted :^)

im not equating non-white to liberal. im equating trying to make everything non-white to liberal.

learn to fucking read faggot.

But then that's not actually political. Just anecdotal. Why bring it up when speaking about conservative politics?

desuarchive.org/co/thread/87986373/#87986373

Why would anyone want to work at Marvel?

>Handicaps
>Walks free
Were they trying to do that when they thought of the title for this?

Progressives like to brush such incidents under the carpet, see Sweden, London.

But why is representation of race an issue for you? There are still white characters with books. Even newer characters who were white who got books like Star Brand.

>I'm pretty sure the conservative platform back then wasn't "gays will try to rape you in the shower"

Er... Not explicitly.

You're a fucking moron and didn't even read the article.

I dunno man, being a Republic that has an omnipresent secret service and cops murdering citizens in the streets and in their homes checks all the boxes for a generic post-WW2-dictatorship.

Just like how conservatives like to brush incidents of racial violence and discrimination under the rug as being anecdotal?

"Gays will rape your kids in the bathroom." followed by: "Don't worry little blonde girl, I'm here to protect you while you take a piss." did in fact happen.

I'm actually in the middle of doing so and you're a goddamn idiot because the "joke" of the headline flew over your fucking head.

Are Punisher comics left wing as well?

You're a fucking dumbass if you think handicap automatically = ability to walk is a clever joke.

Guy's pretty fucking stupid to out himself like this but he's completely right in that Marvel's been shooting themselves in the foot for over a decade now and pandering/marketing to people who just don't buy comics.

>Don't worry little blonde girl, I'm here to protect you while you take a piss."

What are you even talking about?