Paranatural

>"is the greater revelation that ed thinks of isabel as a mentor, or that he doesn't think of mr. spender as one"

>Thanks for waiting for this one! And thanks for helping me build something here that's been a real source of stability and light for me for a very long time. I hope in small ways Paranatural can be that for you too! Thanks again for your patience and for reading and I'll see you next time.

>Asking for advise to Spider-Man

Didn't he become a billionnaire at one point?

Wasn't Spider-Man, he just stole his body back from the guy who actually got him there.

>Zack actually remembered that Hijack existed for one panel
Colour me surprised.

I wonder if Johnny seeing shades will get addressed in the next few pages.

Why should I care about Johnny's mid-childhood crisis

I read through the series for the first time a couple days ago. I get how people want to see a return to the Chapter 3 artstyle, but for me the series hit an artistic peak around the end of the Ghost Train arc and the end of the Hitball arc. It feels like a very professional, charming production with gorgeous colouring, before it starts getting sloppy and foregoing backgrounds almost entirely. Almost like something you could see in a modern childrens' comic that wouldn't look embarrassing as hell on actual shelves, unlike Squirrel Girl or Lumberjanes. Do you think we'll see a return to form later on in the story, or should we expect another kind of Penny Arcade in terms of artistic 'progression'?

>art peaking after day was introduced
>not during chapter 2/early chapter 3, the true golden age

I don't think the art during early chapter 3 was terrible, so I'm not inclined to disagree very hard. Certainly, he seemed to be trying a lot harder to improve his aesthetic and establish a unique identity during those chapters.

Paranatural has now been bad for longer than it has been good.

That's what makes the whole paranatural charm to me though. No other webcomic used such interesting shots or colors like Zack did in chapter 2 or 3. Even chapter 4's art is pretty great until the switch to digital.

rereading a bit, and the dialogue is still hilarious to me.

even on a tame page like this, max's weird accent or manner of speaking is one of the stuff i miss.

he used to sound like such a city kid.

yeah he seems way too much like someone who says they're a punk, but never actually delivers on being punk.

God how the mighty have fallen. Remember when Max was the fucking protagonist

First off, I give my condolences for what happened to him recently. That set aside...

>first panel
"Natural acts" readers have witnessed so far:
>CH1 - Johnny rustles with Max (offscreen) and wins
>CH3 - Johnny REEEEEs at Isaac, steals Max's scooter
>CH4 - Johnny, Ollie & RJ prod Max for Max's weakness
Are these enough? IMO it'd be more solid for Johnny to do more havoc (more and more heavier in scale?) on other people besides the main guys...make him feel worthy enough of an antagonist before something really big is put on him.

Johnny's current character progression looks like it could've been done after many hypothetical chapters between the settings of chapters 4 and 5...is it? Aye or nay, Sup Forums?

> embarrassing as hell on actual shelves
What do you mean by this?

Print comics like Squirrel Girl or Lumberjanes look like ass from an ass. They'd look mediocre if they were regular webcomics, so the fact they're put on store shelves next to comic books that are conventionally above a certain high threshold of art quality makes that high threshold look like a complete joke. It's like taking the Filmation Tom & Jerry and putting it next to the MGM Tom & Jerry, making the latter look bad in association.

I don't even know what the fuck is going on with Johnny anymore. Or most of the characters for that matter.

>page dedicated to his grandfather
>still doesn't even bother to draw backgrounds for it
that sure is one hell of a dedication there, Zack

wait what
what page did it switch to digital?

There's a background for like, two panels. Even if it is a shitty one of lined wallpaper.

i'm pretty sure it's a few pages before agent day actually shows up on screen, but you can tell because the line quality has changed to that more digital thick-line-to-fine-point kind of look. I can't really describe it well, but I think you'll be able to tell.

>copy+pasting with slight changes
This comic keeps going down.

its like the comic turned into a cheap play

How long until Johnny realises he could make anyone a Spectral by making a spirit turn them into a medium and turns his gang of friends into the IN-ACTIVITY CLUB

Hey Zack. If you're reading this and you recently lost your grandfather, my condolences.

hah that'd be a nice sentiment if he actually goes on Sup Forums. he hates anyone who uses this website

It's the page where Max has a dream about his Mom. When I first saw it, I had to spend like 10 minutes figuring out what looked so subtley off about the page.

I miss Paranatural so much. I miss it so much I want to cry. I want to cry.

I want to marry that mom

I lost all my grandparents by the time I was 7

Fuck you Zack

America loves guys like that.

Mine died before I was born except one who died when I was one. I don't really care because you can't miss what you never had.

>prod Max for Max's weakness
You mean Jeff. Jeff was bullied in both chapter 4 and chapter 5.

Johnny mentioned beating up rich kids in the face in chapter 3 but that was offscreen.

Ollie was attacking Isaac while Johnny said he would beat up Max, though he never got past punching him painfully in the arm before he hit a rock with his head.

F

RIP in Peace Granpda Morrison

>Ed and Isabel were holding hands 3 or so years ago
>She's now unfriended him
cuckEd
She must be mad about that him ditching her

He bullied Jeff

that last panel's fucking killing me

pooh bear probably tells you not to wear a condom

don't listen to pooh bear

It's all taking place in his brain, she probably didn't actually say that. It's just what he thinks she would say.

>just be yourself

my current hope is that once Zack gets his inclusiveness stuff out of his system, the comic will go back to being funny and have some semblance of plot.
This will occur by 2019.
Is this unreasonable to hope?

Just in time for the last half of chapter 5

I hope so but then again there's very little promise to that statement. He may never go back to that, I've seen it happen one too many times.

Cody getting a cute boyfriend arc WHEN?

Chaoters 4 and 5 should have been many smaller chapters. That way it feels like time is progressing, which makes these large character developments seem natural rather than forced over the course of 4 days.

It's Violet and Cody both have a crush on Jeff if anything. Jeff has a big schlong.

When Isaac realizes he and Max have no future and finally confesses to Cody

That's a shame, cause we have plenty of fucking criticism he should take to heart. But of course that would go against the Tumblr audience and pandering to them.

>It will be 10 to 20 years before we get more plot about Max's mother/Max going back to the city to find her ghost

Fix the pacing ffs Zack.

Chapter 5 will literally never end and will contain 5 more plots that has nothing to do with the chapter's main one.

Chapter 4 could have been split in half. And Hitball should have been it's own chapter. There: pacing would then get itself un-fucked somehow.

If drawing no backgrounds is the sacrifice he has to make to keep a 2 day update schedule, then he needs to git gud or something.

This. A chapter or arc is supposed to have its own climaxes. From a story telling point of view the chapter lengths just go on too long. Each chapter should have a limited number of sideplots going on at once. Surprising that Zack doesnt realize this considering he reads manga but you can miss out on that if you speed read
I think Zack just hasnt planned on that level that far ahead. Does he decide what happens next as he writes it?

Why dont you just make a twitter or tumblr and tell him?

>Does he decide what happens next as he writes it?

If he really does that then that is a terrible idea. It increases the chance of plot bloat too much.

Has anybody here did that? In a calm manner or something.

I'd like to at least know if he's aware of how bad things are going with his comic.

The guy just got back from his fucking funeral, this is where we can cut him some slack on this.

>Isabel hanging out and talking to Max more
>Ed: wtf Isabel hates me now!

I really don't get this. So he doesn't really stand up to her grandad and he just assumes she hates him now? Like even in this he thinks she wants him dead or something.

this is Sup Forums mate, you should be thankful the threads aren't edgier then they already are

nobody's done it yet
kek good luck not getting blocked

What if Zach is actually reasonable and would appreciate feedback

>No censor bars in fictional characters' eyes for comedy purpose
Z/h/ack is lagging.

Probably not. I think Zack would listen to criticism on pacing and such if you didnt sperg out or complain about diversity,

I was more referring to C4 P48(pic related)-49, to be honest.

I hope this is leading up to "btw I saw a ghost" from Johnny, then he gets to be part of da team or something.

He can't simply do that without betraying the gang that he made and bonded together with.

His brain just barely sparked and contemplated about his road, user.

yeah, that can lead to an interesting dilemma which going by this pacing we'll get to in 1 to 2 years

>meanwhile on Taylor's twitter
>forgetting her own Spender/pink-haired OC pairing
MAKE UP YOUR MIND, WOMAN

would be great if johnny didn't already have great chemistry with ollie, stephen, and RJ