15 seconds of 2D

>15 seconds of 2D
>It's the best part of the entire movie

When will Disney realize the error of their ways and abandon 3D?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-dimensional_space
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They did, computer animation just sells more.

The reason that specific sequence worked so well was because it wasn't drawn out.

Never 2D is dead

They made two 2D animated features, and both under preformed
CGI keeps bringing in the cash

2D is box-office poison
the audience does not want it

That director from Princess and the Frog will never give up

>black people movie and something that sounds like an overhyped DTV sequal to Winnie the Pooh

>indicative of actual performance

Fuck yourself

Meanwhile 2D still sells more on TV. Weird how that works.

>Disney don't do 2D anymore so 2D is dead

Wrong. It's a myth pushed by retard executives because they tried to push a black movie at the same time that 3D was picking up in the wake of pixar and dreamworks

Frogs aren't black

Yeah, it's just Big 3D trying to keep 2D down.

Then we need to break the preverbial audiances legs to make it popular again

Black people are though

Kids don't wanna see that shit, asian countries don't wanna see that shit.

It literally is.

So, why does nearly every French 2D films underperform?

It's ok user. I saw what you did.

Weak marketing, nobody knows about that shit.

When they master the Paperman Engine.

I watched a european cartoon once and it had beheading and cat rape

That isn't 2D.

name 10 American 2D animated feature films made in this decade

No marketing
Euroshit never gets pushed as hard as American animation does esp in the States

Flash and CalArts 2D tho

how is that any better?

When 3D stops making them literal boatloads of money

that would be a felony

Americans don't import movies and television, they export them. Even if it's a big dumb action movie, if it has subtitles it's an "art film" and thus lacks appeal to a mass audience. Marketing 101.

Then why is OP saying it is? That scene is Moana was done with the Paperman engine

If they kept going after Chicken Little there's no hope.

Moana was supposed to be done in that style

they decided against it

Flash is just as bad, it's the same puppetry principle as a 3D model.

Calarts 2D is bad looking but its the closest to what we got in the USA.

Hope Samurai Jack, The Jungle Movie and the new Frederator short series help move in the right direction.

Because OP is uninformed.

2D is dead forever

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-dimensional_space

Samurai Jack IS CalArts
so is anything by Frederator

they are part of the problem

lower animations costs via computers

Did you not see that fucking hair? I spend my nights looking at looped video of the 3d characters touching their wet hair and masturbating. That hair is the best fucking thing since betty fucking boop!
>but muh nostalgia
Kis, gramps. The world wont stop for your tantrum.

You said 2D.
I agree that American 2D is dead (besides a few independents).
Flash is a tool, you can do 2D with it.

You're being intentionally retarded, FUCK OFF.

You can, but they don't.

it is true tho
Genndy Tartakovsky is a CalArts graduate
and Frederator Studios was founded largely by CalArts graduates

The term "CalArts style" was originally coined in the 1990s to criticize them specifically

they are part of the cancer

I'm really tired of the samey 3DCG style just like everyone else here, but I think a lot of people tend to forget that 3D animation is still very new. We didn't get a full length feature animated film in 3D until the 90s. That means we've only had 30 years to work on the technology, compared to 80+ something years we've had with 2D animation.

Just give it more time, and I'm sure we'll get some more innovative looking 3DCG films. Disney will perfect the Paperman technology eventually.

Ok, but the modern term of EXTREMELY simplistic art stemming specifically from Flapjack and Adventure Time that is literally everything is what i'm talking about.

Samurai Jack looks good. Butch Hartman's toons with Frederator look like shit but the What a Cartoon! Shorts don't.

I don't mind 3D. Have a ball.

But let 2D shine too.

there can be only one

I love 2D to death, but it's just not financially viable anymore. Kids these days like 3D stuff. I don't think 2D feature length films will ever leave completely, as there will always be smaller studios like Cartoon Saloon still doing it thankfully, but Disney is pretty much done with it in terms of feature length films. It's a shame. But, like other anons said, 3D films get them literal boatloads of money, so they're not going to go back to 2D.

>except for anime
>see Your Name

wrong. animation is a medium, not a genre.

As far as 3D animation goes, does anyone else get the impression these animated films get made because 1) Kids are retarded 2) Adults think that 3D animation is "mature."

3D animation is seemingly able to convince the lowest common denominator that it is great stuff. Honestly I see more impressive varied styles for CGI in videogames compared to the samey Dreamworks, Disney, and Pixar shit. But that's besides the point, people in general would eat a movie about SHIT if it was 3D animated it seems.

To all the peoples ITT who complains about the lacks of 2D animation:
When was the last times you went to a theatre to see a 2D film?

Were is the proof? There hasn't been one from a major studio in YEARS.

If Disney knew what they were doing they would make a super safe bet one, a princess or animal type with music, market it as "a return to classic disney" "instant timeless classic" having their paid reviewers namedropping the lion king, the little mermaid and whatnot and it would destroy the box office.

I saw the rerelease of the Iron Giant two times and bought the bluray. Keep an eye out for anything and will see it.

>When was the last times you went to a theatre to see a 2D film?
last week for an anime.

3D is easier to produce, and requires less skill over all than hand drawn animation. They can outsource it easier to india/china and get the same results. Thats the only reason 3D is being made more. Its also why they keep pushing it onto tv- its getting cheaper than sending 2D to korea now that the mainland chinks are trained in 3d. Less problems with QC.

3D is more expensive but it is a smart longterm investment as it gets cheaper by the day as it develops and you don't have to rely on anyone big because if Don Bluth gets pissy on a 2D project its a problem, if 3D assemblyline worker 5264 gets pissy he's replaced in a snap.

>Watching kid's movies in public

exactly. QC is easier. No need to worry about off model drawings (its all rigged right!), poorly trained animators (just cut in closer!). Just shove some chinese and indians through a meatgrinder on how americans 'act' and make sure they dont make all the characters nod their heads all the time and presto- you now can by pass the unions that make you charge a shit ton.

Wont be any real animation done state side in the next 20 years (max, im thinking 10) except at small houses (like Laika).

Fuck off cancer.

Reminder to watch My Entire Highschool Sinking into the Sea this April!

Wasn't Moana originally conceived as a 2D animated film? What happened?

Thanks also

horsefucker is dropping flash and going toonboom for the movie, and is the start of a new animation studio

Spongebob second movie.

>having their paid reviewers namedropping the lion king...

Do you really believe on this meme?

i heard about Tangled having new experimental style.but not about 2D Moana.

That was two years ago, do you realize how many 2D feature films have been released since then?

anime does not count

>Adults think that 3D animation is "mature."

that seems to be the case
after all, the death of 2D began when Toy Story beat Pocahontas
(and Toy Story was genuinely better written than Pocahontas)

Name some that are
A. Widely released outside of major cities
B. Not Japanese
C. List the euro ones, but can you name American ones?

those were not American, so they don't count

Frozen was originally intended to be 2D

but after the previous 2D features under-preformed, they made it CGI instead

Meme. Almost all normies especially women I know watch classic 2D disney regularly, they go see the latest 3D shitshow because the kid is yelling about it after it being rammed down their throats on Disney Channel.

I don't buy the idea that audiences don't like 2D, all it is is that Disney have done so well with their 3D features (and botched selling their last 2D ones so badly) that they don't want to rock the potential cash boat in any way. Which makes sense.

Maybe eventually they'll put out "Disney's first 2D animated feature in 20 years!" and push that as a marketing gimmick, like they're going 'back to Disney's roots' or whatever.

And it would have done well.

If princess was CG, it would have done poorly.

explain that to the executives, and more importantly, the company shareholders

Moana was originally supposed to be done in the Paperman style, but the company shareholders vetoed it

I can't and it fucking kills me.

We need a new Snow White/Toy Story/Shrek to define a studio with 2D

I sincerely believe anime is our best shot at that and I don't even like anime. The numbers One Piece pulls makes Jimmy Neutron look like... Well, jimmy neutron.

yeah...
with Dreamworks on their last leg, it seems like Disney/Pixar will have a cinematic animation monopoly for the next 50 years

30 if we are lucky

It does not count if it aint murrican

Do you ever get the impression that Disney should allow 2D productions to be PG-13? Allow me to explain. Much like during the days of Great Mouse Detective, 2D theatrical animated films were NOT doing well and because of this Disney had a "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" approach.

Because 2D obviously doesn't do well at all these days should Disney give it another go? Just remove the bullshit restrictions. However that doesn't mean make shit, look at Samurai Jack's new episodes, they're filled with more violence and everything but it's done well leading to quality enjoyment. So for argument's sake Disney could attempt something like the Fairy Tale Blue Beard with looser restrictions and doing away with family friendly shit for 2D animation.

Anime is helping fight the good fight but the culture barrier makes it difficult. Maybe if anime live action adaptations become the thing more Normies will explore anime.

Some mad man is going to do it and make a boatload of money. The executives and shareholders won't know what hit them.

>with Dreamworks on their last leg

What are you talking about? Those guys are THE competition for Disney. Their HTTYD and Kung Fu Panda movies rake in the hundreds of millions.

Why did people hate Moan-A again?

People didn't hate it, it made more than 600 mil at the box office despite it being a boring unappealing film about THE OCEAN. Also Moana herself is a lame overly generic ever so competent female lead that Disney keeps churning out because of their pro-female agenda. And Maui is another emasculated guy who has to make it up to a twat (the goddess) because he's got a penis. I don't expect Gigantic to be any different. Just more anti-male shit and pro-female garbage.

They were facing financial difficulties not too long ago
and now Boss Baby

>two

You mean, like, all of them since the turn of the century.

Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Emperors New Groove, Fantasia 2000, Brother Bear and Home on the Range ALL underperformed.

Not a one of them made as much money as motherfucking BOLT. Do you even remember Bolt? That movie with the dog and the hamster in the ball? That made more money than any of them. You really think it was PATF that made them think "HUH! Nobody is coming to see this shit?" Think the entirety of Dreamwork's 2D output failing had more to do with it.

Maybe they'd have given it another shot if The Iron Giant didn't make less money total than The Lorax's Opening Fucking Weekend.

The bit you see in the OP was supposed to be hiw the whole film would look.

I think right now people ache for a classic Disney movie. That's why frozen which only contained mediocre reflections of what a renaissance Disney movie was like raked in the millions.

More adult traditional movies could work it would depend on marketing.

but unlike back then, Disney already has stuff that works for them CGI

why waste resources on anything else?

Poor marketing and oversaturation.

>Hehe, that'd be hilarious if it were a real th-

GOD NO

women's rights werer a mistake

It's an untapped market. The hand has been played too hard in the other direction and there is a huge opportunity to grab before anyone else.

I don't know man, but given the modern era? Most adult men would love to see the movie Blue Beard. It's the story of a guy who murders annoying gossipy and untrustworthy wives. Given the divorce happy era we live in? Most men would support such a film. Just change the ending so that Blue Beard doesn't die.

>Dreamworks is going down
>Disney will be left without competition
>animation will forever be stuck in current status-quo

I don't think it's cheaper to produce it, so much as it's cheaper to KEEP producing it. Once you've paid for all the assets and proprietary systems and shit, you can keep pumping out sequels at the theatrical level for less. Basically what said.

Hopefully, the uproarious and continued hype around the Samurai Jack revival will at least get networks to reconsider 2D animation auteurs. Studios if we're lucky, but I won't cross my fingers.

>Maybe if anime live action adaptations become the thing more Normies will explore anime.
The closest we'll ever get is stuff like The Matrix --> Ghost in the Shell, IMO. Doubtless some people will take an interest, but what anime really needs is more of a television presence in the US again. Like how after-school Toonami and week-long Adult Swim used to be.

It's encouraging that they seem to be adapting more of an 80s approach to plotting and style, but I worry the film's going to end up overstuffed with characters.

>It's the best part of the entire movie
It's pretty cool, but I dunno. Might've been more memorable if it was a bit more shiny

but Sup Forums is always right

Good thing they didn't. Zootopia needed that Oscar

I doubt any theater would allow a movie like that

Oversaturation?

There was literally NO competition in 2D for most of them, for months. Hell, I don't think any other major 2D movie came out in the same year for several. You want to talk saturation? Disney was going up against Illumination, Pixar, Dreamworks, Lucasfilms AND Blue Sky studios in 2008. Bolt still made more money than any 2D Disney or Dreamworks film for ten damn years. BOLT. Their B-team shit.

Meanwhile, PATF had zero competition, came out in a time when family films like Chipmunks were raking in bank, in a timeframe that has lead to most of their successes, and she still fell short. It wasn't one thing, it wasn't one year even, it was over a decade of failures and unprecedented 3D success.

Lilo and Stitch, their high budget, critically acclaimed favorite, lost to Ice Age. That's how bad it is. Disney lost to Scrat.

I do think you're right, adults of this generation tend to be much bigger man children, in general this is a big problem but maybe it'll be something good for animation.

let us repeat

Nobody wants to see 2D
EVER