This is THE MOST underrated Disney movie of all TIME

This is THE MOST underrated Disney movie of all TIME

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4MUuDFeoyvM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That and Johnny Appleseed as a double feature, yeah.

I don't know much American Folklore that well, this guy the Paul Bunyan of railroads, right?

You could say that. But he's not a giant like Paul Bunyan.

The John Henry short is on Netflix by the way. It's under their new short films collection. I don't think the rest of "American Legends" is on there though.

JOHN HENRY
JOHN HENRY

>JOHN HENRY, JOHN HENRY, JOHN HENRY, THE MIGHTY MAN

>BORN WITH A HAMMER

John's wife was so cute.

It was pretty damn good, definitely. Has a good mixture of the strong hero spirit, the march of progress, the struggle to hold on to what makes a person unique, their skills in the face of change, attitudes and courage, and also the true value of a person to sacrifice for what they believe.

>the strong hero spirit
you mean the strong NEGRO spirit

>there are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW who haven't heard of the John Henry folktale
My mom had a book about him and would read it to me fairly often, so I grew up fairly aware of the whole John Henry tale. Blew my mind when I came here and some people had never heard about it in one thread. I think it was a Codename STEAM thread on Sup Forums, since John Henry is a character in that game iirc. I think they were German, though.

I've heard before that the folktale may or may not have west African roots, with at least the concept of a folk hero who wields an iron hammer.

I haven't seen the Disney version in ages though, I hardly remember it.

meh

>there are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW who haven't heard of the John Henry folktale
It's not really well known outside of the US.

I like the sketch quality of this cartoon.

>It's not really well known outside of the US.
How well known is it outside of black Americans?

Still makes me cry, I only wish I could be half the man he was.

No idea, I'm neither.

Mix John Henry and Superman and you get Steel.

very much
just the name "John Henry" should make you go "Isnt that a black character"?

HAMMERMAN

>So many god-tier shorts
>Put ice whores on the cover

Shaq?

Decently well, I think. I'm a white American and I remember hearing the story in school, but he wasn't as popular as Paul Bunyan. John Henry is neither super obscure nor known by everyone.

I'd like it if more people knew it though. It's a good legend.

I remember seeing this in grammar school

Speaking of that collection, who the hell thought it was a good idea to play a Goofy short right after the fucking little match girl?

> Watch one of Disney's saddest works
>Reflect on the girl's life as the beautiful music plays while the screen fades to black
>GAWRSH

"How to set up your TV" is a great short though.

It's a tactic older than Bambi's mom's death immediately being followed by the twitter painted springtime scene. Audiences want an upper after just being hit with a downer.

DC hasn't used Steel much in a long time have they? They should bring him back. But give him a new design. I never was one for the solid chrome.

Huh, where I'm from, Paul Bunyan was never really talked about much. Wouldn't surprise me if your average American over here never heard of him or didn't know much about him. Hell, I don't know much about the legends myself. Isn't Paul Bunyan more well known in the West?

>DC hasn't used Steel much in a long time have they?

He appears in Superwoman I think

I miss when blacks had a future and their culture hadn't been destroyed with the gang/rap/drug culture that a Hollywood pushed.

Perfect example is to compare the buddy cop movie Lethal Weapon 1987 to Bad Boys 1995. Black man protagonist in the first one is a family man with a stable job and they actually address the impact of gangs/drugs/guns ruining the community. Bad Boys glorified that shit and now 70% of blacks are born without a father. 70%

Just what the fuck

Was Paul Bunyan the guy that turned that lake into pea soup?

That's the idea behind Steel, user.

Wow, you should be a sociologist. What a nuanced and intelligent thesis.

He was a giant lumberjack with a blue ox as a pet.

>Isn't Paul Bunyan more well known in the West?
I'm not sure. I'm from the east.

I suppose it's hard to say how popular each legend is since I haven't seen a poll about it and only have my own perspective. Also I feel like I haven't heard many people talk about any of them in my adult life. It's all just memories from my childhood.

>I'd like it if more people knew it though. It's a good legend.
Agreed. I'm surprised he's the less popular of the two, though. I can't exactly remember any actual legend attached to Paul Bunyan other than the fact he was a giant lumberjack with an ox. John Henry on the other hand is more linked to his own story, which just feels better constructed overall.

I'm in Texas, and while I learn plenty of both Bunyan and Henry, Pecos Bill was probably the most I saw in story books, or, at the very least, remember the most fondly.

>Also I feel like I haven't heard many people talk about any of them in my adult life. It's all just memories from my childhood.
That's a good point. No one really cares about this sort of thing anymore.

Yeah, because of the Steel movie with Shaq.

John Henry, Paul Bunyun, Johnny Appleseed.

Those three are taught to all American children.

Casey Jones is forgotten outside the Disney short or the rare child who finds one of the Golden Books about him. He's a lot less mythical so it makes sense though.

>those arms
THICC

Basically John henry was the strongest miner out there and until a machine was made. The machine could dig at the speed of 100 or something men and he fought it in a competition. The machine and him dug hard throught the mountain they were building a railroad through and john henry managed to beat it, with the machine falling and breaking I think. The sad part is that along with the machine so did John due to the work. The story sorta takes place during the time in which america was moving west with things like railroads and stuff and I think the story's an aligoryy for how macinery was taking away the work of manual labor at the time but that the human spirit still in the end triums against machines or something like that.

youtube.com/watch?v=4MUuDFeoyvM

John's legend os amazing and while It may be the least well known, it's kinda engraved in the cultural memory. How many times have we seen the plot of man vs machine with the protagonist winning in the end but ending up fucked?

Either way, the music in that short was Elder God tier.

THUNDER AN' LIGHTNING WAS EEEEVERYWHERE

OH LAAAWRD THAT BATTLE WAS BEYOND COMPARE

You spelled "standard" wrong.

John raced the machine. In the Disney version its for the pay the workers earned, in the original it was to prove the machine was shit and the workers were necessary after all and shouldn't all be fired.

John dies from a heart attack but wins. The machine survives. The company uses the machine anyway, but John Henry is remembered as a hero by the workers for at least proving they had value in the world before their time passed.

While people today don't see the same moral, the point is that even if you lose you can win just by being gloriously badass and never giving up. Nowadays people only see it as "he died for nothing" not "he died bringing honor to his community". So they tweak the story, give John a victory with the machine breaking down and give the other workers a reward from his hard work.

He was the original Giga Nigga.

Georgian, know Bunyan, Henry, Appleseed, but never heard the story of Pecos Bill.

Never knew of Casey Jones as a kid but looked him up after hearing the Grateful Dead song on the radio, what a badass, basically the greatest engineer ever who managed to save all his passengers at the cost of his own life. Jones is distinct from the other folk heroes in that he was a demonstrably real person and heroic deeds have been analyzed and interpreted for decades.

This was its own movie? I thought it was just one of those American Legend things along with Johnny Appleseed and a few others. Fuck I really need to rewatch that; only barely remember it from fourth grade.

Was it from around the same time as Make Mine Music? That's when all the unremembered Disney cartoons seem to be from.

>He plowed the earth so wide and deep
>The seed he sowed, the ground had to keep

Confirmed to be literally John "Pussy Destroyer" Henry

>He hit the earth with such a mighty blow
>Everything he planted would jump up and grow

shit's catchy

It was a short.

Also remember when you could just have an innocent thing about a black person before people went on and on about how the main character being black was hyped beyond reason?

You can find Casey Jones on YT and Johnny Appleseed on Dailymotion though

But can John Henry beat the Headless Horseman?

I assume for the same reason Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbor Totoro were a double-feature in Japan.

But can John take the knot?

In general folktales and myths are falling more and more today into obscurity in the first world.

Like in a fight, or popularity?

Either way, no.

I know that, for fuck sake his real name is "John Henry" Irons.

The Paul Bunyan one had a similar theme just with logging, he had to race a fancy pants dude with a motorized saw

He's an American folklore hero my dude.
I'd argue he's the third most popular American folklore figure behind Paul Bunyan and Johnny Appleseed.

>when the mom tells her son the thunder is just John Henry and his hammer

i thought this was Czarface from the thumbnail

Sounds like that spongebob episode where he races a patty making machine.

I haven't seen the episode, but it was probably a parody of John Henry.

I would succ his innocent dicc

Nice shop, Disney would never have the rights to make a Steel movie let alone not even market it as Steel

most American kids learn this in school along with Paul Bunyan and Johnny Appleseed.

I don't get this, but that's probably because I'm a Texan degenerate. We learned about Pecos Bill instead.

As a fellow Texasfag, I'm afraid I don't know that feel. Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, and John Henry were easily the most famous when I was in school.

I'm aware of Pecos Bill, but only barely. The imagery of him lassoing a tornado does pop up here and there.