What does Sup Forums think of this show? I'm re-watching it

What does Sup Forums think of this show? I'm re-watching it.

It was obnoxious. That blonde has massive tits though, maybe a little redeeming.

those are b cup at best

Honestly thought this was going to be my favorite cartoon when I first found out about it and its concept when I was a kid. I loved the shit out of animals so a show about a girl who talks to animals would surely be the greatest thing ever.

Then I actually watched it and never ended up really liking it. Most of the animals turned out to actually be pretty boring, the art style was offputting and many of the characters (including the main) were ugly and Eliza was just such a stupid and disobedient little bitch that seemed desperate to remove herself from the gene pool.
Nearly every episode is:
Every other character: Eliza don't do this thing.
Eliza: Okay, I'm gonna do the thing.
Eliza: Oh, no, I fucked up everything because I did the thing.

Even as a kid, I always sympathized with Debbie way more than Eliza.

I liked the episode where Eliza got appendicitis in the middle of the wilderness and almost died

It was overwhelmingly "meh." Nigel was a saving grace in almost every scene he was in, though. The smashing, giant nosed, buck toothed angel that he is.

>Even as a kid, I always sympathized with Debbie way more than Eliza.

Well yeah. She's being forced to travel around the world doing things she fucking reviles, constantly badgered by an insane little wild child, a literal ape, and her parents.

That one was actually pretty great. Was that one of the episodes where her parents give her a list of safety precautions to adhere to to keep her alive in the harsh environment, and she then went and ignored every single one?

No, that was the one where every single method of transportation they had broke down at the same time, so they had to get her to the hospital on a biplane they built earlier that day, only to drop the map.

It was clear that god did not want that girl to live

Oh, or, remember the time she got altitude sickness and Nigel had to build a fucking igloo to save her? This show really should have ended with her luck running out so she could finally die.

I remember that, even as a kid, the Rugrats crossover seemed contrived.

Nigel seems like the only non-evil Tim Curry role in recent memory

me too!

That wasn't the only episode of a 2000s era Nick cartoon where a plain-looking ginger almost died of appendicitis.

Liked the segments with the animals, thought Eliza was a hippy twat, would've like it better if the show had more focus on Nigel.

HELLO POPPET HRNG HRNG

Disliked this show as a kid because every character is fuck ugly.
Watching it now, it's alright. Nothing special, but I like Nigel. Rugrats crossover was ok.

Nigel is the best part. Just skip ahead to his parts

It's funny how Nick kept trying to get them to make Eliza less hideous, but old Gabor had too much of a hard-on for shitty Hungarian animation.

I liked it a lot despite the hideous style. I recommend watching Donnie's origin special if you haven't already.

Nigel best girl

There was one episode I saw once as a kid where Nigel was trapped in the convey under the sea and everyone was freaking out and his wife called to ask how he was and he just replied "oh SMASHING POPPET"

that stuck with me a long time. I never saw that episode again though, if anyone knows name or ep no please share

i remember a few really unsettling episodes of this show: the ghost masai girl and the river dolphin one. but there was another one that i can't remember.

Eliza always annoyed the fuck out of me. Anytime she spoke or face was on the screen made me want to change the channel. As a result I don't recall like 85% of the episodes.

For some reason some of the episodes with supernatural elements felt really out of place and teased at the "is it real?" aspect too much, despite Eliza's powers being literally magic.

I liked it when I was a kid, but I imagine it would be pretty tedious to watch again as an adult

What about As Told By Ginger?

What about it?

Is it worth watching?

Pretty much this. The episode that stuck out to me was the one where Eliza was filming Nigel. They were filming a performance fish and she kept telling Nigel to back up and he ended up stepping on a scorpion fish. Obviously he doesn't die, but fuck that bitch.

The Debbie was dope, I remember when she entered an archery contest in an African tribe for a bracelet. She ended up winning, and use the archery skills to save the day at the end of the episode.

The character designs being so hideous hindered my enjoyment. Best part of the show was the dad, by far.

Unadulterated trash.
>ugly characters
>retarded lines of logic
>stories are either boring or completely idiotic
>obnoxious personalities

>Debbie is a grunge girl in a show that aired years after grunge stopped being a thing

I loved this show as a kid, and I never had a problem with the artstyle. Thinking back I think I'd still like it today, unlike Catdog which I also loved but hated when I watched it again as an adult.

I think some of the appeal of the show is still the science aspect, I know I learned a lot about animals and nature through it.

I also don't get why everyone hates Eliza so much, I really like how perfectly she reflects both her mom's empathetic ability and her dad's reckless fascination.

I'll admit the plots weren't usually that interesting and so I'd usually skip reruns.

It's definitely a show for kids with the educational aspect and Donnie being annoying when you're an adult, and it's probably more appealing if you're a kid with the same curiosity and love for nature as Eliza like I was.

All in all, it's probably not worth watching as an adult unless you have nostalgia for it. But that's not to say it's bad.

bump

I have a theory on this. I think it actually makes sense that Debbie would be years behind on current fashion trends. I'm pretty sure that she even complained a couple times that all of the fashion magazines and clothes she had access to in the third world countries her family visited were horribly out of date and disorganized second hand shit. She probably couldn't get her hands on fashion tip resources or new clothes very often either, current or not. So she had to make her clothes last. On top of that, she lived a very outdoorsy lifestyle where she had to do a good amount of physical work in constantly changing harsh environments, which would have been murder on her clothes. So what kind of clothes would be suited to that? Certainly not the prep style that was in at the time which was largely made up of flimsy easily worn out name brand clothes. Grunge was much more suited to her life, the way it actually celebrated simple, sturdy, washed out, ripped, patched, and wrinkled old clothing that she would have been wearing anyway. It also suited her angsty outlook better.

I'd agree with this.
I also enjoy how the show wasn't overly preachy. Given it's a show about environmentalism and conservation with talking wild animals as the featured guests in every single episode it never really went overboard on the lessons. In fact the main takeaway seemed to be don't fuck around with nature just because you think you have its best interest at heart and the skills/knowledge to fix everything.

>That episode where Eliza taught birds how to use tools to gain food more effectively thus fucking up the entire ecosystem leading to the death of many insects and fish

>That episode where Eliza almost FUCKING died
Seriously why was that every episode?

Her liberal parents were severely neglectful.

So we can all agree Donny and Nigel were the only good things about this show right

>lock the nigger in the dunny!
How did they get away with this?

I sorta liked it, but agree. Eliza and Darwin were horrible.

Donny was largely just kind of there.

It was all about the parents and to a lesser extent the sister.

While I appreciate some of the plots with the animals, like teaching kids that the circle of life is pretty fucking awful when you follow the perspective of the entire food chain and how not every animal has the same thought process, I felt I had passed beyond that at the age of like ten.

Nigel was a hippy too. The only difference is he was a functional hippie.

I remember Debbie learning how not to be a jackass to get tips as a waitress at a diner in Alaska, some liar revealed plot where for some reason Eliza convinces some animals she's a goddess for shits and giggles, a couple who fake their animal footage with caged animals and abusing wildlife for good shots that made Nigel pissed off, and the end of an episode where Eliza just has to accept that hares and (bobcats?) are going to be enemies no matter what she does because that's how the circle of life works.

>Donny was largely just kind of there.

Donny was such a disappointing waste of potential. "A toddler found living feral in the jungle gets discovered and adopted by a family of traveling naturalists" could be a premise of a show all on its own, and they chose not to develop him at all and keep him stuck in status quo, only using him once for the origin story tv movie and even there he didn't get a big part. They could have at least let him pick up a few words of english at some point.

It's shit (for me, won't speak for others), but memes and gifs made from it were funny for some time

>Donny's parents were murdered by poachers
>they pretty much were the Thornberries in enthusiasm for nature and it got them killed

Shit was dark.