This move was completely unnecessary. Like, who the fuck thought it was a good idea to cast Emma Watson as Belle...

This move was completely unnecessary. Like, who the fuck thought it was a good idea to cast Emma Watson as Belle? Just a terrible pick, wooden acting, and not beautiful. And the added parts like the woefully inconsistent Agatha or the plague mother. Or the fact that apparently 1/3 of this small village in medieval France are Sub-Saharan African. The fuck?

I mean, Gaston's actor wasn't remotely the size of a barge, but his performance was the only silver lining in this film.

>his performance was the only silver lining in this film.

His acting was okay but I dont really feel like he portrayed Gaston that well.

It wasnt an awful movie but the problem was it's improvements over the original animated series do not out weight the things it completely missed or just overall fucked up.

I think this movie had 2 major issues. 1) it attempted to almost completely mirror the animated movie scene for scene while completely missing the subtle interactions between characters that made the scenes great and 2) overstayed its welcome a bit by adding in needless extra songs and story bits.

granted the question of "where is Belles mother?" always sort of rolled around in the back of my head while watching the original, it was never really an important part of the story and thus didnt need to be there in the reboot either.

most of the things I want to nitpick about the new movie are really just major comparisons to the original animated series, some of them less important than others but the biggest one was the subtle character interactions, most of them at the beginning. I think the biggest example I can think of is when Gaston attempts to "woo" Belle and ask for her hand in marriage. In the original Belle feeds his ego by saying "I dont deserve you Gaston" and cleverly escapes the situation.. in the movie she just kinda says "Ew no, go away!" it really kinda killed her character and honestly made her feel more like a side character throughout the whole movie than a main character. These little things are what sort of made the reboot a bit sour for me and there are plenty more examples I can think of.

>tfw Anne Hathaway and Emmy Rossum are considered too old to play Belle

it didnt even matter who they picked to play belle. the way her dialog worked and was positioned in the movie turned her into a really boring character.

Of course it's unnecessary, but Disney needs to keep the "Princess brand" alive so they can keep generating income from little girls.

Are you living in a timelime where brexit didnt happen and trump didnt win? You're delusional and so are you friends and your cause. You're a loud minority. Enjoy being the true bad guy when you think youre the good guy I guess.

You dont even know what he was referring to about the african cast. You just think hes a mean wacist.

Look you fucking child. If the original movie didnt have a type of people why the fuck should the reboot? Might as well be Twink and the Amazonian. Would that please you? Nothing will please you, not until the entire world is ruled by one family and everyone you love is killed by terrorists. You know why that would please you? because youd get to finally die

The fuck are you talking about? It would be as dumb as putting a bunch of white people in The Emperor's New Groove, or a bunch of Aboriginals in Mulan.

>wanting Renaissance France to look like Renaissance France makes you a white nationalism

Wew.

Also
>your media is turning against you

Nobody gives a shit. This shit is way too blatant and forced. Nobody gives a shit about a black guy in a movie, it's just when it conflicts with the setting and story.

That shit makes me so mad. Emmy would still be younger than both Evans and Stevens, could sing circles around Emma, and wouldn't have been a total bitch about wearing a corset.

>slagging off Hermione
Spotted the Slytherin

Anyone else think Kevin Kline was REALLY phoning it in?

>Kevin Kline
I thought he did well.. I kinda missed the goofy tinker father from the original but its not a change that I thought was nessiarily bad and the actor did a good job.

GTFO. Fuck Harry Potter and fuck Emma Watson.

Hermione was the worst actress in the movies, and that's seriously saying something. The only reason people remember her is because she unexpectedly turned out to be hot, but even that was a fuck-up because Hermione wasn't supposed to be hot in the first place. She couldn't even get being ugly right, let alone say a line of dialogue that wasn't rushed as shit and yet completely monotone.

>turned out to be hot
Never understood this tbqh. She always had this weird, vaguely mannish look to me. Even her toy captured it well.

>who the fuck thought it was a good idea to cast Emma Watson as Belle
It was Disney's idea.

They castes her because of her name

They added agatha so they could have that dramatic scene where the last petal falls completely and beast dies but the witch changes him back anyways

Gaston was ok, he could have been bigger but emma is pretty tall too

>emma is pretty tall too
>5'5''

>Actress that went political demanding more women go into stem even tho she made a career out of her beauty
>Character that never does anything at all beyond read romance novels but it's percieved by everyone as special and has the adoration of the best guy around she nonetheless rejects because he is not good enough with his strength and mad hunting skills
Bell is the worst Mary Sue ever created, so is Emma watson. Perfect fit

Fuck you I liked it

Also

>not finding Emma Watson hot
>expecting a Disney movie to be historically accurate

>English actress playing as a French girl

WE

ARE

NORMANS

and it paid off

If Watson was a Mary Sue you'd be posting about how prime minister Watson needed extended powers and also you want to sniff her butthole.

Where's the rope? Where's the FUCKING rope I can't take this life anymore

It better not.
You better not.

> and that's seriously saying something

To be fair, they were not all bad. Radcliffe was a pretty solid actor and if you examine his other roles, he's pretty damn versatile.

It has no competition for like a month

That's probably the LEAST it'll make

VR!

P-Power Rangers...

I don't think Grint's that bad either, to be honest.

>medieval france

holy fuck you missed that mark by about 1,200 years, this movie takes place in the 1700's

I liked it. I didn't expect it to be at all better than the animated movie and went in with low expectations. The added bits were welcome for the most part, but some could have been handled better. Easily. The part about Bell's mother wasn't necessary and serves to better flesh out her father as a character, but I didn't really want to know about either of them.
LeFou being gay was one of my favorite new additions, but him being more comeplex at the end wasn't handled well at all. Him straight up explaining his heel turn was worse than him heel turning at all. I get that we want to sidestep the tragic heartbreak that would normally follow someone you love dying so we could have a truly happy ending, but that whole part with him and Pots could have been removed. There was enough with him disapproving Gaston's actions and then him leaving him for dead, then at the end LeFou presumably finding someone new.

Still loved it despite glaring flaws. The original is a hard act to follow.

Ugh.

I really liked the new songs.

>Like, who the fuck thought it was a good idea to cast Emma Watson as Belle?

Someone who owed someone a favor who had money and wanted Emma Watson in a big role.

That's how Hollywood works you know.

I can't look at Emma Watson and see Belle. I just see Emma fuckin' Watson.

Of course it's 'unnecessary'. Any remake or 'update' on an already-solid movie is. That doesn't/won't stop anyone, though. So the best they can do is make sure it's still solid.

...and it was solid enough. Seems like some genuine care went into it, which is refreshing.
I felt bad for Watson: she had to spend 80% of the movie acting with people/things that weren't there. I honestly wonder if she ever talked with Ian McKellen about that. She's not the most phenomenal actress, perhaps, but I can excuse some of the wooden acting- if "acting is reacting" and she had nobody to react to on set, then, well...that makes sense, right?

Gaston was agonizingly sex-less and tame, but I'm not shocked. His death felt a little less satisfying in this version.

LeFou was the most compelling new addition. He was handled pretty tastefully, up until the last scenes, like said.

The new songs were 'eh'. The way Beast performed really reminded me of the actual Broadway musical, so I appreciated that.

>tl;dr
It was probably a solid 8/10 to me.
Had some good, had some bad.

This is pretty accurate. 8/10, 7.5/10 without the nostalgia. But then again, without something to compare it to would it be more mind blowing? Maybe.

A Young Doctors Notebook is probably my favorite work of his.

Really don't get how it's not more popular. It's basically Jon Hamm trolling Daniel Radcliffe for 5 hours. I'm pretty sure there is terrabytes worth of fan fiction about that exact same subject yet no one has ever seen it.

I'm rather fond of his performance in Swiss army man. The awkward, childlike curiosity is done very well.

>1,200 years
>In the history of Europe, the Middle Ages or Medieval Period lasted from the 5th to the 15th century. It began with the fall of the Western Roman Empire and merged into the Renaissance and the Age of Discovery.

Fair enough, it doesn't take place in medieval times but the time difference is not that large.

So did they make Gaston gay?

No, LeFou and maybe a random villager.