Roy Thomas on the Iron Fist controversy

>Yeah, someone made me vaguely aware of that. I try not to think about it too much. I have so little patience for some of the feelings that some people have. I mean, I understand where it’s coming from. You know, cultural appropriation, my god. It’s just an adventure story. Don’t these people have something better to do than to worry about the fact that Iron Fist isn’t Oriental, or whatever word? I know Oriental isn’t the right word now, either.

>I just think some people have too much time on their hands, I guess. They have an infinite capacity for righteous indignation. By and large, that tends to be misplaced quite often because if you’re becoming all upset over things that are just stories, and if you don’t like it, instead of trying to change somebody else’s story, go out and make up your own character and do a good job of it. That’s just fine, but why waste time trying to run down other people’s characters simply because they weren’t created with your standards in mind?

inverse.com/article/29155-iron-fist-marvel-comics-whitewashing-roy-thomas

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2017/03/21/iron-fist-co-creator-roy-thomas-complaining-culture-appropriation-crap-like-makes-furious/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

As an Asian, I am far more annoyed at the bad combat choreography than anything to do with skin colour.

Iron Fist is a bad show, and it is horrible that skin colour debates are hiding the real problems. I am here for good fights and they failed to deliver.

As a white person I agree with this guy. The criticisms about the character being white are being used to mask the actual criticism that the show sucked and the lead actor was terrible.

Thank you, Roy, for being one of the few voices of sanity in an industry (and probably even a society) going batshit crazy.

Based Roy

Absolutely based.

The only good argument for Danny being asian is the fights would have probably been better kek.

Roy for me is one of the best adapters of scripts , from books or short stories to comic books
Example almost all the numbers that involve him in conan the barbarian series and other series like savage sword of conan etc.
But as conan roy has no place in this world full of SJW BUT I'm glad he told the truth about iron fist

What is his fucking problem?

He's white.

Dayum.

I think he stated it already.

He should come back to Marvel with Shooter and replace everybody currently there.

>that Iron Fist isn’t Oriental, or whatever word? I know Oriental isn’t the right word now, either

>Don’t these people have something better to do than to worry about the fact that Iron Fist isn’t Oriental, or whatever word? I know Oriental isn’t the right word now, either
madman

Britfag here. Why do Yanks have a problem with Oriental?

They're retarded and want to get offended by everything. They think Colored people is offensive while People of Color isn't

My Jap mother and my asian co worker use the world oriental when talking about asians. When did it become the wrong word if asians use it

It's racist ;)

At some point we decided it was a flavor instead.

As a half-breed slope/cracker I gotta say I couldn't give less of a shit if Danny was white, the story was boring and was poorly choreographed.

Oriental refers to objects, not people. Ramen noodles are "oriental." Chopsticks are "oriental." Ching-Chong Lee, the owner of your local laundromat, is not "oriental."

Carryover from when Americans thought all East-Asian culture were interchangeable. It goes hand-in-hand with our contempt for underpaid Asian railroad workers in the 1800's.

It's really only considered offensive over here.

Roy Thomas is associated with literally 0 good Iron Fist comics so it makes sense that he'd defend a bad show as well. A legacy of mediocrity.

>The only good argument for Danny being asian is the fights would have probably been better kek.

How is that a good argument? The lead being Asian wouldn't have stopped the choreography from being shit

bleedingcool.com/2017/03/21/iron-fist-co-creator-roy-thomas-complaining-culture-appropriation-crap-like-makes-furious/

Even the comments section is getting into a fight

But it just means from the orient, whether it's people or objects. Like European, or African.

Asians refers to people from India and Pakistan in the UK anyway, so we need another word for Chinks.

Why is it alright to make a character black or asian or a girl or gay or whatever the flavor of the month is but make them white and then suddenly everyone shits their britches

I mean I think it's retarded either way to do that kinda thing but if you're gonna change a character's race whenever it's convienent at least don't have a double standard about it.

Mediocre attempt, user

Why aint anyone have a problem with Doctor Strange being a Chinaman when he did the exact same thing as Iron Fist and went to some Chinese country and learned some Orietal mystic arts kung fu shit

Luke cages first half and the first half of DD S2 are the only good things about Marvel shoes. Iron Fiat is junk

The reason it's "ok" is because historically most characters have been white, and changing them to something else is "refreshing" and "tolerant"
but changing something not white to white is "oppressive" and "whitewashing."
It's pretty dumb. I especially thought the whole Tilda Swinton being the ancient one in Dr. Strange controversy was ridiculous, because the original character was nearly racist, stereotypical old asian master fu manchu buck teeth caricature.

>what is might whitey
>what is great white hope
The people really raising a stink about it had the concept of the white guy coming in and mastering "the thing" better than anyone fromt hat culture ever has.
And I'm sure some of the Asians just want to see some representation on screen that isn't a Chinese exclusive extra scene.
End of the day though, finn is a bad actor, the show runner mad fucking Dexter and the fight scenes are awful.
This Iron fist couldnt beat Matt Murdock in a fight let alone a dragon.

>It's okay when we do it
That's pretty much it.

Phone posting, are we?

Isn't the showrunner also working on the Inhumans TV show/TV-movie-in-IMAX?

He is also known for Dexter seasons 6-8

>bad combat choreography

Aw man I was so looking forward to IF... but if they fucked up the most vital part of it I'm probably not going to watch it.

Roy truly is one of the greats.

>Iron Fiat is junk
I agree. They haven't made a good car since the X1/9.

Oriental means they're from the east you tard since it comes from the Latin word oriens. A person from the far east is, thus, certainly an oriental. Maybe you should just go back to calling westerners occidentals if you're so butt blasted about it though.

>roy has no place in this world full of SJW

He is, but he's an SJW in the best possible way. He saw that there weren't any black superheroes in golden age DC, so he took matters into his own hands and made Amazing-Man. He didn't bitch at someone else to do it, he did it himself because he decided to be the change he wanted to be.

I was expecting it to be either Rich (master shit stirrer) or that chick who seems to exist only to turn everything into a social justice issue but I guess I should've expected it to be written by that faggot Jude Terror too. He's like the worst qualities of both of them combined into one person.

Orient just means east, its no different when Americans are called occidentals

To Americans, Asians are the almond eyed yellow folks, not the brown subcontinentals you're more likely to call Asians.

Brits call Middle Easterners Asians for some odd reason. I suppose it's because it's all in Asia, but that would also include 75% of Russia and all of Israel. So that would make Russians and Jews Asians as well.

Excelent roy is even better than i think

Based Roy.

I hope Stan doesn't consume you yet.

No one is called Occidental. People take the time to acknowledge western races and cultures by saying American, Canadian, Mexican, etc. When you say "Oriental" it means you don't actually give a shit about who you're talking to and just want to lump them together because you can't be bothered to figure it out.

I mean, who really fucking cares but if you're gonna be a lazy offensive shit just admit it. Everyone here says nigger because they want to be offensive and don't care. Trying to justify it otherwise just makes you look like a tool.

>When you say "Oriental" it means you don't actually give a shit about who you're talking to and just want to lump them together because you can't be bothered to figure it out.

>When you say "Asian" it means you don't actually give a shit about who you're talking to and just want to lump them together because you can't be bothered to figure it out.

It makes sense enough.
Asia was- to Europe- Anatolia, the Levant, Arabia and Persia for like 2000 years before they could make regular direct contact with even India. Asia as "the Middle East" makes sense.

It also makes sense that Britain would think of South Asians as "Asian" because they owned ALL of India for centuries, and therefore had much more contact with them than East Asians, who ended up more common in the Americas because they ended up being a replacement cheap labour after slavery ended.

>No one is called Occidental.
Maybe they should. Fair is fair isn't it my oriental friend?

Supposedly Jones only had three weeks to train, so hopefully it'll improve with Defenders and season 2.

>criticisms about the character being white are being used to mask the actual criticism that the show sucked
That would imply that the SJW types actually watched said show when, in actual fact, they were bitching as soon as the casting was announced.

Also if you look up reviews of either Dark Matter or Into The Badlands you'll find these same self-righteous twats bitching about "yet another Asian male who uses martial arts, that's like, SUCH a racial stereotype man!"

They're literally just looking for an excuse to bitch.

I just wish the would shave the damn pubic hair stubble and straighten his hair. Would look so much more like Danny. Besides, I think the actor who played young Danny had straight hair.

The same happens with South Americans and you don't see them bitching.

I've always preferred Celestial.

>Supposedly Jones only had three weeks to train, so hopefully it'll improve with Defenders and season 2.
That only absolves the actor, but pushes the blame onto both the director and the producer instead. As in the studio never planned to have good fight scenes to begin with. That is arguably worse than just having a bad actor.

Aside of Finn's lacking fighting skills he should've lifted more, or tone up at least. I can't take his twink body seriously.

Based. He doesn't give a fuck.

The funny part is that they could've avoided if they given him some sort of costume and have the double do the fighting.

Iron Fist had been pretty skinny before. Perhaps the collar would make him look bigger too.

As a Gelgamek I agree.

This plus Steranko. He's great too.

Yeah, I get IF isn't jacked up ala Captain America but he was Cucumberbatch tier.

As Finn Jones I agree.

If they had cast the black guy they were originally considering everyone in this thread would be bitching just as much as the "SJW"s

You're all bitches

Two niggers are too much.

>No one is called Occidental.

in latino the cartoon American Dragon is called Dragon Occidental

They get called Westerners which is pretty much the same.

>thinks he's gonna be in the Race War
>can't handle seeing even two blacks

Hope you've been preparing your anus, fuckmeat

At least you tried.

>season 2
I'm gonna say the chances of this happening are low.

This.
I dont know why anyone would listen to these people when theyre are clearly insane

>The people really raising a stink about it had the concept of the white guy coming in and mastering "the thing" better than anyone fromt hat culture ever has.

What if they switch the Kung Fu to 'boxing'? Will everything be alright then? I mean, they're both martial arts. One just happens to have developed a sportive culture around it and the other devolved into a sort of high impact dance.

5 stars in Netflix ratings. If they get him right in Defenders then a S2 is more than secured. Although, personally I'd prefer a Heroes for Hire show instead.

>Also if you look up reviews of either Dark Matter or Into The Badlands you'll find these same self-righteous twats bitching about "yet another Asian male who uses martial arts, that's like, SUCH a racial stereotype man!"

Shouldn't you screencap reviewers who complained about Iron Fist's lead and complained about Dark Matter or Into The Badlands for comparisons?

Shitty anecdote trigger warning. Some arab/middle eastern families I know use the Occident and the West synonymously. Nobody else says that though. They must've had a weird English teacher or something. It's a bit novel, though, being labeled a member of "The Occident."

>I am a super lefty, sjw, bleeding heart, cucked, liberal snowflake

I don't think he knows what he just called himself.

this guy sounds like a faggot cuck.

That would fuck up his dynamic with Luke.

>suggesting that Kung Fu isn't just Chinese Boxing by another name.

To be fair, a lot of traditional training in older martial arts tends more towards calisthenics exercises. So he wouldn't necessarily have to be bulky.

I wouldn't give a shit if you called me an occidental.

Logic is literally unknown to these kinds of people save for the rare occasions that it furthers their world view.

I doubt any American does.

the absolute madman

>implying America has a problem with it

Try asking your relatives from the world's biggest penal colony.

Yeah that's not going to help him much but I fucking laughed ast well.

It's out of date and out of fashion like colored people and the word "occidental" or "octroon"

What is the right word to use here? And why do people say only a certain demographic can practice martial arts?

OP you need to put a trigger warning when you post things like this, it took me an hour to calm down after reading it because I couldn't even

newfag leave

Sounds perfectly reasonable.

>All those snakes in the grass turning on him on plebbit and facebook

>And I'm sure some of the Asians just want to see some representation on screen that isn't a Chinese exclusive extra scene.
It's not like there aren't already a good number of American movies with Asian leads doing Kung Fu. They'd have more of a point if it wasn't a Kung Fu show, because aside from Harold (and Kumar) and (technically) Tommy Chong there really haven't that many Asian leads that aren't there for kicky punchies.

>coming in and mastering "the thing" better than anyone from that culture ever has

Where's this outrage towards Samurai fucking Jack? You either go all the way with your standards or admit that you're racist.

I'm not very good at photoshop, but I tried to take away the beard and give him straighter hair. Also inverted the colors of the robe.

The Japanese are even less specific than that.

Doesn't take much to impress you faggots.

We use "occident" and "occidental" in French, we don't have another equivalent for western. In French "western" is exclusively a genre of movies.

That is so much better.