I'm tired of all these top 3, top 5, or top 10 movie lists. Have some commitment for god sake...

I'm tired of all these top 3, top 5, or top 10 movie lists. Have some commitment for god sake. Make a decision for once in your life. Which is your favorite? There must be one.

Post your favorite movie, that's right, just one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6L_uBidFJuQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Was Phoenix getting snubbed by DDL in Lincoln the greatest Oscar miscarriage of all time?

The worst part is that DDL wasn't bad at doing Lincoln, he was pretty good.

It's just that Joaquin is the new Marlon Brando and probably the greatest living actor. And every movie he's made since the Master has been a masterpiece.

My Top Movies:

Jurassic Park
Speed Racer
The Lion King
V For Vendetta
Forrest Gump

This is exactly the kind of shit I'm looking for. I know more about you from that than 99% of top 3/5/10 lists. Your mind jumped right to that. That is the movie that affected you more than any other one. It's some deep shit having to pick just one.

....the whole point of this thread is you have to pick just ONE.

In all likelihood yours is Jurassic Park because you listed that first. It's not a bad list, it just isn't what this thread is for.

literlly impossible to choose a favorite movie when there are hundreds of genres and even more movies

very hard but i'll have to say the grand budapest hotel

This is honestly a flawless movie.

I'm not looking for the "best" movie. Just which one affected you the most. I'm not trying to understand movies, I'm trying to understand YOU. Gun to your head, what one does your mind jump to?

Great replies. Seems like a lot of genre stories about powerful, almost godlike men...

This. Maybe LoA second. Tough to pick just one though.

that's not true. His upcoming The Sisters Brothers, however, is sure to be ultimate kino

>Amadeus
>GBH

>Genre stories

You're actually a moron

He legitimately is the new Marlon Brando. And I'm more excited for You Were Never Really Here.

Here's mine

is pretty close though

Tree of Life

Amadeus = musical

Musical = genre

GBH = comedy

comedy = genre

I don't remember this from Miami Vice

He's fuckign with you moron

based

It's in the director's/extended cut in the first sequence, first few minutes, before the club scene.

All mastapieces

I think I have to go with Knight of Cups

I definitely preferred Song to Song, but Knight of Cups has a way better soundtrack/narration.

funny that mine is a phoenix movie. gladiator is my favorite. saw it the year it was released, unfortunately not in theaters, too young. watched it at least once a year since. for its runtime it feels like its less than 2 hours. has the perfect amount of action and drama. great performances. god i love it.

He genuinely is the best actor. Even people who hang out with him like Casey Affleck become amazing actors, just from being in his presence. He's like Elvis x Jesus.

Forgot pic

Gun to my head, I ask "please pull the trigger"

Ok then your favorite movie is Sonatine

That's one Kitano movie I've yet to see

this

>inb4 the Christmas meme

This movie is literal perfection. There is not a single element of the film that detracts from its enjoyment, and every set-up payoff is insanely satisfying. Gorgeously shot. 10/10 comfycore. I never get sick of watching it

>tfw Kenny gets promoted to lead commentator

idgi. Everything that's good about this movie is done better in other Mann films. Not trying to insult you, I just don't see why you wouldn't pick Manhunter, Heat, MV, etc.

johnny depp or dicaprio are the closest thing to brando you pleb

youtube.com/watch?v=6L_uBidFJuQ

still gets me

I prefer Manhunter as well. I think Manhunter might even be better than Silence of the Lambs, especially the version of Hannibal.

Those other movies don't have tangerine dream on the sound track

Go troll other, lesser threads.

Lotr fellowship of the ring

Only plebs have one favourite

you were serious? dude joaquin phoenix is not as phenomenal as you think and definitely doesn't have the star power to be considered a modern day brando. sorry depp isn't cool but brando wasn't exactly taken seriously later on in his career

The entire soundtrack is phenomenal, Johnny Greenwood is the only artist better at making soundtracks than Trent Reznor (whose best is, and will always will be Natural Born Killers). My favorite is the Sweetness of Freddie. I like how the same 3 note theme is repeated throughout the movie in different keys.

I would put decaprio & phoenix in the same league...jonny depp is a lightweight tho

TD is excellent in Thief, I grant you, but his other films make equally or better use of complementary music.

Strong As I Am in Manhunter, ending of Heat may be a little on the nose. Ending of MV too, but still excellent. And other more nuanced instances.

I'm talking early Brando, like On the Waterfront, before he became parody of his former self and self-imploded because of fame, like Elvis and Jack Kerouac. Also, you could argue that an actor like Brando would not be nearly as popular today because they are understated and don't scream and cry for Oscars like Leo.

hands down

Goodfellas, easily. I've watched that movie with so many girls it's not even funny.

it's really difficult to pick just one, every movie hits you in different ways and they always leave something different inside you...
But if i have to pick, i'd pick "Children of Men"

That movie makes bitches wet because it shows a man beating up other guys for a girl, which is what all women secretly want deep down. They want to be given money and blow their husband in the kitchen, they basically wanna be a bang maid/ live-in hooker.

I want you to pick one not because I'm looking for the greatest movie by any metric, I just wanna see your totally biased, personal opinion. Like your gut instinct, what affected you the most.

I think that was a good pick, even though I like Amoros Perros a lot more.

This is the first movie that I ever watched more than one time in the cinema

In fact, I believe it was my first time going alone to the cinema, this movie was such an enjoyable experience, with people having a good time laughing, also being sad, memorable scenes and dialogue and great visuals - the format changes in the cinema were also very awesome

I'm not a giant fan of the director's other movies because I think they fail to do what this movie achieves in spades, which is to be consistently good and memorable

Thief has the most likeable protagonist, Manhunter is honestly pretty bland and the best part (when Will breaks through the window) is instantly shat on by Mann running out of budget and having a badly choreographed.... shockingly edited action sequence Heat is too messy, I prefer the small scale character study of Thief Maybe I'm just autistic. Not the guy you responded to btw

Goodfellas

I can easily pick a favorite show, because they last so long, but movies are hard because they are so short, and they each have a different feeling.

Pic related is probably mine. I empathize with the dude quite a bit, and its a movie I just love to watch.

I liked the movie, but I felt like some of the comedy didn't "fit" with how dark the tone was. I like dark comedies, but not that style of slapstick/screwball comedy when the backdrop is murder, war, and genocide. The Coen Brothers would have done it much better.

That being said, Rushmore and Moonrise Kingdom are both masterpieces.

Also, total proponent for going to movies alone. I feel like I pay more attention to details, and it saves money. Plus I end up seeing movies twice, like Song to Song.

I like this movie a lot too, but have trouble empathizing for the Dude. He seems to blame other people too much, and he is very indecisive. In all likelihood, I dislike him because I am very much like him. He's like Homer Simpson, I despise how similar I am to that idiot.

That being said, great movie, pic related is my favorite character.

Yes, the climactic action sequence in Manhunter isn't great, but other parts of the film eclipse most anything in Thief. Heat is definitely aiming for a bigger scope and maybe falling short of Thief's intended target. At least he's got a good filmography.

Where does Manhunter eclipse Thief?

I've watched thousands of films. How do you expect me to pick just one film out of them all? Furthermore, how can you be so anti-art as to be signal out any one film over others? By what criteria do you do so, and how can you ignore the artistic merits all others offer?

My favorite would have to be Trainspotting or if it's allowed Trainspotting and Trainspotting 2 combined. The second may not be as good as the first but the advancements in Danny Boyle's style show, and the self referential nature of the fact you are seeing it for nostalgia, and how they know that and deal with it as a theme of the movie, along with aging as the viewer has no doubt done since the saw the first, it worked for me. Trainspotting 2 isn't better than the first, but if you can count them both together as a series they are the films that have affected me most. My dad showed me the original a long time ago and they sum up a lot of my feelings on things, not to mention I love the books. There's a sort of nihilism and hatred of society in them that I like, as edgy as it sounds, which feels more genuine to me than the rebellious themes in other films. The characters don't go around spraying graffiti anarchy signs everywhere- they just find a way to opt out of society in this little niche of heroin addiction. It could be any drug, it could be just about any form of escapism, but they just want out. They just don't care, and they've just had enough. I can feel it in every word when reading the original novel. It was a sign of the times and I think at least once in everybody's life they could relate very personally to that feeling. Not quite being a NEET, or a hiki, or whatever you want to call it. But just wanting to be out of it all. That and the spring of hope at the end of one, the downfall in two, then the spring of hope again. It really touches me personally.

I'm torn between Trainspotting or Interstellar. I saw Interstellar at a movie theatre in the perfect mood, expecting nothing and it blew me away. But Trainspotting has probably been more influential in my life.

Gun to my head I'll say Trainspotting.

Robocop

Watchmen hands down.

Star Wars

2001, no doubt.

The sequence with Strong As I Am and Dollarhyde sperging out in the van and some other visuals in Manhunter are better than their counterparts in Thief, I think. I'd concede Thief's script is tighter overall, but it's not engaging audio-visually for me. That's all.

This thread isn't about art. I'm not saying any one film is better, or the best film of all time. I am not judging films by any criteria, other than your personal preference.

Just pick your favorite. The one that affected you the most. The one you keep going back to, that haunts you for some reason. Everyone has that one.

>reddit spacing
get out

If you can only pick one, you haven't seen enough film in your life.

I've probably seen The Bourne Identity and Lost in Translation more times than I'd care to count, but I think my favourite movie is actually Yi Yi. Or Dumber & Dumber. Let's say Yi Yi. What a wonderful multi-generational melodrama.

I've seen plenty, probably more than most functional adults should. I like the Master the most because it feels like he isn't acting, like he really is that miserable, all the time. And PSH literally killed himself from heroin addiction, after making a movie about getting over addiction.

reddit didn't invent newlines you fucking spergs
people who use text editors, you know, to write or paste pasta, use newlines because they aren't phoneposting retards

Not OP, and I get that some people may have a hard time picking a favorite movie. But really though, start comparing two films side by side. Do you prefer X or Y. X or Z? Again and again. The film that keeps winning those side-by-side comparisons is more likely your favorite movie.

I would honestly say that Thiefs Cinematography is better than Manhunters. The night scenes (most of the movie) with those slick visuals and lots of bright lights that are impossible to miss are gr8. Also the opening scene where the camera goes into the lock is really impressive. The focus pulling on Caan's gun in the end scene is very memorable too. I think it's clear though it's just personal preference, because I like Collateral and The Warriors a lot because of the same night-light style too

If I had to pick just one, although it's a tough choice.

Interesting film

this desu famalam

Ok, but why would you put 2 newlines between each paragraph?

This is a tough one, but I'd have to go with There Will be Blood.

What's interesting is the lead actor died from AIDS at just 55 years of age. Coincidentally, the homosexual encounter depicted in the film ultimately drives the climax.

i can't speak for op, but that's actually 3 newlines, which isn't "redditspacing" either.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Stand by Me

redditspacing posting is just

dumb phoneposters

>The night scenes (most of the movie) with those slick visuals and lots of bright lights that are impossible to miss are gr8.
I hear ya but
>Miami Vice
is my answer to that. Thief's opening is impressive though, no doubt.

When are the 2nd, 3rd and 4th MaC films coming out?

Any Phoenix-core is pure kino.

I don't really like the characters in Miami vice though tbqhfam. Thief is the right balance for me

This. I'm trying to teach everyone here something not about movies, but about life. Sometimes you have to be decisive. Everyone has a personal favorite, even if you don't realize it. And it says more about you than the movies you like when you can only pick one.

Crowe tweeted this week that the studio was talking about doing another.

A Brighter Summer Day

All PTA movies are masterpieces. If I couldn't pick the Master, I would probably pick Boogie Nights.

I know it's memed on, and in the Public's eyes it's basically transcended being a movie, but I think this really is a perfect film. The scope is magnificent, just looking at the scene where the Jews are pushed out of the ghetto and then also the camp scenes. The cinematography is fucking beautiful, the use of shadows, the sparing instances of colour, the documentary style at the right times. And it never fails to make me cry when Schindler breaks down over not saving more Jews. Memorable performances of course. Fugg