What do you consider filler in su and explain why you think its filler? Specifically townie episodes?

What do you consider filler in su and explain why you think its filler? Specifically townie episodes?

Bump

It's a show about a magical boy going on adventures with his friends and learning lessons but I really don't want it to be.

SU is a plot based series. It's not episodic. Therefore anything that doesn't develop the plot is filler.

Also filler tends to be horribly bad i quality because they are just trying to kill time. And the SoL episodes of SU have been notoriously terrible

The problem with SU filler isn't really that they're filler (in the traditional sense of stand-alone episodes unrelated to the current overarching plot), it's that the filler episodes are identifiably the worst in the show, in every way (art, music, humor, characterization, etc.). And the more 'filler' they are, the less connected to the Gem lore, the worse they tend to be. They also highlight a troubling trend the show has had since ~S3 of minimizing the stakes at every turn, to the point of destroying any real conflict.

But the plot is the daily life of a magical kid.
So as long as Steven is shown it's not filler.

So Garnet episodes like Garnet's Universe are possibly the only filler.

>SU is a plot based series.

do you even remember the first season? it was all "filler"

better than it is now though, steven doesn't really even learn lessons anymore. he used to be a lot dumber of a kid and they've turned up his Jesus elements a bit too much

I just want the staff to figure out what they want the show to be and stick with it. It's so goddamn bipolar.

They want the show to be a day in the life of kid with magical powers who helps save the universe.
Sometimes that means dealing with rogue sentient clothing, sometimes that means stopping an ally from murdering enemy aliens.

Sticking to a very focused plot can cause stories/episodes being practically the same as one another.
Just ask Samurai Jack or Megas XLR.

>They want the show to be a day in the life of kid with magical powers who helps save the universe.
When are they going to get to that?

From my perspective there is no filler in the show. It's all part of the ride and one should not have tunnel vision.

Beyond that, I define filler as a story in a show that was not originally in the source material. In the case of SU, the show is the source material, so none of it is filler in my definition.

Nearly every episode of S1 was driven by some magical artifact or power mishap, and they all developed the intrigue of the Gems in some way.

Here's a handy guide. If at the end of the episode you're not sure if it's filler or not then ask yourself this: what implications does it carry for the rest of the show.

If the answer is 'fucking nothing' it's filler.

But in all honesty i think its filler if its like an episode where there isn't any plot/lore, no character development for the gems or other townies perhaps or if steven doesn't learn a leason.

Lately with s4 it also feels like weve been getting more softer episodes and while thats fine,i need a bit of plot to keep it going

You have a general. Stop making threads.

Ask yourself these questions:
>Is he or the gems fighting something on camera?
>is he or the gems interacting with a corrupted gem on camera?
>is there action and or adventure transpiring that normally wouldn't otherwise happen to a normal boy?

If the answer to all three is, "no" you got yourself a filler episode!

>responding to a bait thread
Why?

I dunno I got nothing going on today.

Can we at least agree that no one gives a fuck about townie stupid shit about pizza and donuts? We get it, he is fat and humans do human things.

Can we at least agree that SU threads outside of the general should be banned and you're stupid for responding to one?

Get over yourself you dumb fag.

>humans do human things.
Could you imagine being a human and watching this cartoon?

Every Townie episode is about them all getting over some grudge or sorting out complicated emotional shit; Lars & Sadie, Lars & the Cool kids, the pizza guy and the fry guy, Mr. Smiley and the sad guy, etc.
Eventually, when the Crewniverse finally start wrapping everything up, everyone in town will be best friends, and thus will make it easier for them all to fuse with the Crystal Gems and Stevonnie into some super special awesome dynamo ultra fusion or whatever to fight the final boss.

>>>/sug/

Townie episodes are the absolute worst.

>Townie episodes are the absolute worst.
I agree 100%. But they can retroactively make them a little more tolerable if they make them serve a point, rather than just being filler.

Filler is the worst buzzword. It's a way of dismissing the value of content because it doesn't fit into some imagined framework without actually engaging with it.

And I'm not even saying that town episodes are never bad on their own merits. I just think their perceived importance on the way to some major plot is the least of my concerns. Especially when some of the ways that plot has been handled in this show has often been almost purposefully unexpected (and arguably unsatisfying). You don't get a big fight, you get some sort of emotional pay off.

>They want the show to be a day in the life of kid with magical powers who helps save the universe.

I think the problem is that in season 1 that was true, now its either one or the other, it doesn't help that the most recent episode (all of season 4) range from mediocre to terrible, yes, even the plot related ones i found them lacking after rewatching it

>It's a way of dismissing the value of content
Townie episodes have no value. That is the point. Townie characters don't get actual development in their episodes and neither does the world. They are not even funny. Townie episodes are filler. They are just a lazy way to extend the show.

the problem with townie episodes is that
>they aren't funny
>past season 1a never involve magic
>focus on characters no one cares about
>sadie and lars episodes retread the same plot every time
>focus on mundane situations when the "plot episodes" often contain more fantastic plots and situations

When the show contains magical aliens, don't ever attempt to make the audience care about the normal human teenagers with relationship issues.

>Steven is going to hug it out with the Diamonds
>then they'll all be friends and sing songs and cry together
Tell me I'm wrong.

It's a show about a magical boy not doing magic nor going on adventures, his friends are barely in the show at all because cartoon Network doesn't want to pay the vas

And it had fighting and character development and animation and cool locations and temples and mistery and fun and everything the show lacks today
And petridot and lapiz don't have character development they have flanderization, every time they show up the feel cheaper and less real
Let's be honest is there a single good character left outside Greg?

6 more seasons
Or more realistically it gets cancelled before

From the perspective of a child with autism loud noises and sharp lights mean the Apocalypse

I know, i hate SU filler so much. Like, what the fuck, that wasn't in the manga!

>S1: a hybrid abomination and his caretakers go on adventures to acquire artifacts and fight monsters
>S2 onward: everyone is literally crazy, no more monster fighting, introduction of meme tier ,comic relief characters

Sour cream is by far the only one who's actually likable on his own.

Filler is beyond that now

Is this image a parody of something? I feel like I've seen it before but with different characters.

Ironically, the townie episodes are now the least shitty.

People complain about Lars, but Lapis and Peridot are far worse than he ever was.

Lapis and Peridot are filler too

Reminder that SU is shit, and is only SJW, femi-nazi propaganda to turn kids queer.