/swco/ - Star Wars Comics & Cartoons

Hipsty Edition

>Upcoming Releases:
swbooks.net/updates/release-2017.htm

>Out This Week:
Darth Maul #2 (March 22)
Rogue One Digital (March 24)
Rebels 3.20/21: "Zero Hour" Parts 1 and 2 (March 25)

>Rebels 3.19: "Twin Suns"
mega.nz/#F!HYliTb7R!d9VQPNttWf3vUDHaXKjNZQ

>Rebels Recon: Twin Suns
youtube.com/watch?v=8eIZsJsck7A

>Download links: (Check here for new Rebels Episodes + Books, Comics, Films, etc)
pastebin.com/nWsKtSya

>Canon Guide:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1KovH_1GYLDTAe3yrleeWiuzwulm670o_anQqr5Rcg/pubhtml

>Legends Recommendation List:
docs.google.com/document/d/147N5EgCnZmcPaDYvnGQwl9cn7BhBroFb7mD2C4cmWb0/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D5ENWklA5psUtgtF3x9gU2mfeS0JpU4VNjwmApjuJbg/edit?usp=sharing
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sasori_Vader
youtube.com/watch?v=De-XHn9yon4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What is she, /swco/?

Inferior

I caved and bought Darth Maul #2 because I was getting impatient waiting for a storytime.

Holy crap, that was good. It redeemed the mediocre first issue for me.

Killed in Order 66

What if the Vong arrived in the galaxy during the clone wars. Imagine them finally reaching the supposed new home, only to find massive armies of droids and machines trying to take over the galaxy. they would be pissed.

>Obi-Wan sides with Dooku when offered to join the CIS
>More Jedi jump ship upon learning that Dooku's warnings are indeed genuine
>Clone Wars become a Jedi Civil War...

...and then my idea came crashing to a halt upon realizing it could just accelerate the Sheev's plans.

What if Qui-Gon killed Maul and trained Anakin?

How is she?

He would have steered him clear of Sheev.

I liked it as well. I wasn't ready for that Revan mention though

the wat

Great thread

Your memeing aside, I wasn't expecting Aurra Sing and Cad Bane to show up. Also, the Scourge of Malachor scene was baller.

In addition, I'm actually really liking the way they are mixing eras, with races from TFA showing up in this pre-TPM story.

tfw no storytime

What happened to the rest of Blue Squadron? The ones that engaged the Star Destroyer the ones down on Scarif that weren't shot down after the planet shield went down?

Here's an idea:
Post something you really loved from the old EU that you are sad is no longer canon.
Then post a criticism of that same thing you liked that justifies why it should no longer be canon.

I loved the Jedi Knight games which have a perfect Star Wars aesthetic, sounds, and themes while letting you explore tons of cool planets and fight different stormtroopers and force users.

But, Kyle Katarn was a ridiculously overpowered gary stu and you defeated the Empire and the Sith "once and for all" like 20 different times.

Man you guys really don't like keeping that canon guide updated, do you?

most likely folded into red squadron.

Dead until confirmed otherwise. If they had a face and didn't appear in another movie, they're toast.

Kotor is boring obvious choice.

x-wing game.

shield generator on top of the fucking bridge is stupid. they are suppose to be the radar dome.

Yes but what aspects of it are you sad to see gone? What aspects of it are you glad to be gone?

pod racing

>But, Kyle Katarn was a ridiculously overpowered gary stu

Thanks for saying this. I think people who simultaneously hate Rey and love Kyle Katarn are massive hypocrites.

Kotor but Revan is overrated.

I don't like the idea of things existing 4000 years ago that look very similar. I can buy technology never changing but why do we get ships that look like a different tie model. It makes sense in the sequel trilogy since it's only 30 years later so it makes sense to have sucessors, but I roll my eyes at all the not-stardestroyers and shit.

The idea of Kyle Katarn being a defector who joins the Rebellion and slowly realized that he's force sensitive then goes onto help Luke train the New Jedi Order on Yavin IV.

>Socorro is a planet in Star Wars
>Pic Related

Wow, even in Star Wars New Mexico is a shithole

I hate Rey and love Kyle but that's a matter of personality. I recognize Kyle to be a total bullshit character who happens to look cool and have a great voice actor. And that Valley of the Jedi "oooh lemme give up my force powers oh now gimme back I wanna be a jedi again" was such fucking trash.

BTFOing bandits with Lando and exploring the galaxy as Jaden Korr was great, but it doesn't excuse some of this nonsense.

Kyle Katarn being a gary Stu is a by product of 90s era video game where you have people like doomguy and duke nukem.

That's fine. I was mainly talking about people who hate Rey for being overpowered but turn a blind eye/don't notice Kyle being overpowered.

Here's a much better guide that I manage. I've suggested adding it to the OP countless times but for some reason the guy who made the original guide doesn't want to replace it.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D5ENWklA5psUtgtF3x9gU2mfeS0JpU4VNjwmApjuJbg/edit?usp=sharing

This is true, but the EXTREME BADASS archetype was half comedic and half expediency for video games. It becomes a huge fuck up to consider the fantastical exploits of a video game protag as canonical history as the old EU did when it tried to explain away the dozen or so different manners of the theft of the death star plans.

I hope when we finally do get more Star Wars video games that they either realize that not everything about them has to be canon, or at least work hand in hand with the story group to make sure they don't go way beyond their boundaries.

The fact that the EU had to take desperate measures to canonize Dooku dying in some throwaway shovelware GBA game was ridiculous.

>The fact that the EU had to take desperate measures to canonize Dooku dying in some throwaway shovelware GBA game was ridiculous.
this still blows my mind
It's so strange that it unironically made me reconsider my definition of "normal human behavior".
Not even joking.

Kyle has always just been an excuse for the player to go places and do cool things in various Star Wars contexts. Nothing more or less. I've never felt he was a particularly good or interesting character. He's just a vehicle.

don't forget scorpion vader

They didn't actually try to canonize that though, did they?

>The fact that the EU had to take desperate measures to canonize Dooku dying in some throwaway shovelware GBA game was ridiculous.

That was a clone.

see
anyway enough talk about katarn, let's talk about other EU stories that we like but which have serious flaws that we are glad are not canon

Worse, it was a "Force doppelganger", which raises way more questions than the alternative would have.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sasori_Vader

As we needed more proof that people are just too dumb to understand the PT...
Look at Maul in the top panel.
Now remember how people pretend that Maul wasn't well characterized in TPM
Next, remember the scene in TPM where QUI-GON does the thing Maul is doing in the top panel here, while Maul paces like a hungry dog.

People claim that they wanted more show and less tell in the PT, but when they get it, it goes over their heads.

Thoughts?

I am aware of the explanation provided by the overseers of canon, but the explanation from a novel was that it was a clone.

So what you're saying is that Maul is more characterised outside of TPM? Good to know.

I tend to ignore prequel haters out of hand
I don't like the PT as much as the OT but anyone who doesn't like the PT at all is either a tryhard poser or legitimately retarded.

>So what you're saying is that Maul is more characterised outside of TPM?
Is this a meta joke where you pretend to be a PT hater who can't read?

Because if it's not, you just embarrassed yourself mate.

>TPM had good characterization because of what happened in a comic that came out 18 years later

the whole era existing, pretty much.

?????
This is nuts.
Are you really that dumb?
Learn to read, honestly. That's not even CLOSE to what I said.

That's literally the example of Maul's characterisation you gave. The comic is not the TPM.

Why is Sup Forums so Sup Forumsntrarian? I like Rebels, TCW, and the prequels, but Episode V is my favorite movie and that triggers /swco/.

>people pretend that Maul wasn't well characterized in TPM
Well, it's not really pretending. He's as characterized as he maybe needed to be, but there's very little to him. I've always felt trying to expand his character as much as they have has mostly been a mistake, or at least needless, though. Whether that comic does or doesn't contradict what little is there (I haven't read it yet, but it seems like a good catch on your part) doesn't change that.

He should have stayed dead and a one-off threat.

Star Wars is like Zelda games where if you list your favorites/ranking of the series, you are guaranteed to piss people off.

They're only slightly better than Sup Forums when it comes to the "angry virgin hipsters" department.

The fact that you can say you like other Star Wars media than Empire Strikes Back indicates you aren't a fairweather fanboy who doesn't really care about the franchise and just tries to fit in. 99% of the time if somebody says "my favorite star wars mobie is the one where vader says I am your father xd" they're trying to appear "cultured" because "professional" critics say that it is the best. These same people tend to have nothing but contempt for the prequels, TCW, Rebels, the canon books and comics, and even Return of the Jedi (muh ewoks are so dumb). As such anybody who says ESB is their favorite cannot be trusted to have a legitimately formed that opinion on their own and must be asked to clarify and justify.

Yet you're here too...

No.
Since this guy
was also confused, i'm willing to concede that I worded the post poorly.
(this guy got what I was saying though )

Let me try again.

In TPM, Maul characterized as an attack dog through his actions in contrast to those of a Jedi.
(meditating v. pacing and staring down)

In that comic page, the writer has Maul meditating like Qui-Gon, completely the exact opposite of what the character would really do.

A complaint people give about the PT is that it tells instead of shows, but as we see here, when Lucas shows instead of telling, we get idiots like Cullen Bunn who can't see it.

I like what Richard Brody said about Lucas and the PT,
>I suspect that the world-making, the narrative architecture of the self-extending mythological power of the “Star Wars” series, got in the way of its own realization. Could the word be too sacred to Lucas for him to subordinate it to the profane cinematic image? Could the import of the invented mythology be too great, in Lucas’s mind, for him to subject it to the ambiguities of visual transformations? Did he know, or surmise, that the enduring authority of the series would be based not in his direction—however original and distinguished—but in his stories? And, if so, did he conclude that he wasn’t prepared to submit them to the all-too-readily misunderstood realm of the image?
As we see with Bunn, Lucas was right. People are just too stupid for purely visual storytelling.

I agree with you but you need to delete one of these posts that's too much textual clutter

way ahead a' ya partner

I see what you're saying but I don't think Maul's pacing was really interesting characterisation, after all, Obi-wan was doing the same thing. I think that scene speaks more about Qui-Gon's character who was meditating while in a precarious position. Pacing while waiting for the screen to shut off would be what any rational person would do, to be ready to fight. The comic possibly draws a parallel but I think it's a bit of a stretch. There's a different context. One is meditating in the middle of a duel, the other is meditating in his room. Even if it was an intentional parallel, it doesn't change how Maul was characterised in TPM.

>after all, Obi-wan was doing the same thing.
nope

Tell me about Darth Bane. Why does he wear the mask?

>I think that scene speaks more about Qui-Gon's character who was meditating while in a precarious position.
YES, and Maul is chararcterized by his CONTRASTING action.
Not just his action, but his action compared to Qui-Gon.

This isn't that hard dude. You really seem to WANT to think that Maul was poorly characterized in TPM.

He was on his Toe's ready to fight, jumping in place, are we really going to split hairs here? They're both clearly very eager to get fight.

Because he was a cunning warrior. And a good meme.

ready to fight=/=staring down while pacing+testing the cage with your weapon

To conceal his freakish makeup

Republic Commando/Battlefront 2 campaigns. It was nice to get a clone perspective of the war.

I honestly can't think of any major flaws. Not saying they're flawless masterpieces, but they didn't do anything ridiculous enough to make me think "oh god I'm glad that's gone", and while they don't fit the current canon, I'm not sure they can be criticized for discrepancies introduced by another work years later.

I fucking hate that we will never see Thrawn and first season Krazy Kallus work together to catch Rebels and traitors. What a waste to be bring Thrawn in so late.

If someone washed it off, would he die?

>he is going to die

I hate filoni.

I get that, but again Mauls actions seems more rational which is why it's less interesting to me. Just saying that I "get it", it's definitely characterisation, but according to you only gets it despite not commenting on the scene at all.

FUCKING FILONI KILLING SECOND BEST IMPERIAL

>but according to you only gets it despite not commenting on the scene at all.
I was assuming he "got it" (got it=/=agreeing) because unlike the other responses, he didn't actively misinterpret my post.

They're both staring each other down. Why would Obi-wan test the cage when he already saw Maul try it? You going to tell me that the pacing alone is what speaks a million words about Maul's character? It's the contrast to Qui-Gon's meditating that matters.

>You going to tell me that the pacing alone is what speaks a million words about Maul's character? It's the contrast to Qui-Gon's meditating that matters.
Your first sentence here disagrees with me, but your second agrees.

youtube.com/watch?v=De-XHn9yon4
I am glad this exists.

"Are we blind? Deploy the garrison!"

Also, Filoni secretly loves destroying your hopes and dreams.

The fight choreography in this scene is objectively great.

Why do people pretend that it isn't?

this is just evidence that there was nothing substantial to Maul in TPM. Him pacing back and forth during a duel doesn't mean he wouldn't ever meditate. I mean this is the guy who says the sith will have revenge in the most quaint possible tone of voice. There is nothing in TPM that contradicts that comic panel.

NO NO NO NONOONONONONONONONO

>this is just evidence that there was nothing substantial to Maul in TPM.
no
As this guy said,
you're trying way too hard to fabricate poor filmmaking.
But for what reason?

Which brings me back to my original point that Obi-wan's actions also contrast Qui-gon's, so it's not exactly unique to Maul.

Do you not see Maul literally struggling in his meditation?

And Obi-Wan wasn't pacing. He was incredibly jittery and anxious, chomping at the bit. The only one who had their head on straight in that encounter was Qui-Gon. Maul's characterization was written all over that duel, from his twirling his lightsaber and grinning excitedly as Obi-Wan approaches him to his pacing in front of the meditating Qui-Gon to his "playing with his food" as Obi-Wan hung above certain death. Action tends to speak much louder than words. Maul had been anticipating this for years and the comic expands on his anticipation.

That's tangental to my point tho.

This just screams "the room is about to explode and/or vent atmosphere".

>to his "playing with his food" as Obi-Wan hung above certain death.
This was so great to me as a kid.
I don't understand people who say they didn't like TPM as a child.

Replied to the wrong guy.

wat
You made a post and I replied.

>secretly

I think he's pretty open about it.

Which brings me back to my original point that Obi-wan's actions also contrast Qui-gon's, so it's not exactly unique to Maul.