'Deadpool 2': Michael Shannon Frontrunner to Play Cable (Exclusive)

>Michael Shannon has emerged as the frontrunner for the much-buzzed about Deadpool 2 role of Cable opposite Ryan Reynolds, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

>Sources say that Shannon isn’t the only one on the studio’s list but is the one leading the pack as the top choice at this stage. Stranger Things actor David Harbour is also on the shortlist. Kyle Chandler’s name surfaced last summer but sources say he was never in contention for the role.

>David Leitch is directing the sequel to Fox’s surprise blockbuster that grossed $783 million worldwide.

>Reynolds is reprising his role as the wise-cracking mercenary with the story expanding to include other characters from Deadpool’s corner of Marvel’s X-Men universe.

>Atlanta breakout Zazie Beetz is already cast as the super-powered merc named Domino.

>The character Shannon would potentially play, Cable, was co-created by Deadpool co-creator Rob Liefeld and writer Louise Simonson, and is described as in many ways being the opposite of Deadpool: a man who is a leader and used to being obeyed, who is very controlled but with an aura of simmering violence. In the comics, Cable was from the future and was the adult of Scott Summers, also known as the X-Man Cyclops.

>Deadpool 2 is scheduled to shoot from this summer in Vancouver.

>One factor that could prevent Shannon from taking on the role is scheduling. The in-demand Oscar nominee just signed on for the indie What They Had which shoots this spring.

>Shannon, who was nominated for his work in Nocturnal Animals, has already made two comic book movies in the past: He appeared in Jonah Hex and played villain General Zod in Man of Steel.

>He has several movies wrapped, including the period drama The Current War, in which he plays George Westinghouse, and Horse Soldiers, an ensemble war drama that also stars Chris Hemsworth and Michael Pena.

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-2-michael-shannon-frontrunner-play-cable-987733?facebook_20170322

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kDfuL9GifK4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

LETS GET THOSE MOCK UPS COMING, BOYS

Was he on set for BvS or did they just make a dummy of his body?

How many pouch jokes will there be?

I love Michael Shannon, but this doesn't work... at all.

how about just choose someone who looks like Cable and can act

aka not this dude

this guy's a faggot ageist anyways

WHERE DID YOU MUTATE? IN A LAB?!!!

I don't know, but Shannon has a god tier dead pan delivery. Wade will be the goofball, but I expect Shannon to bring the funny in the unique way he can.

why?

>In the comics, Cable was from the future and was the adult of Scott Summers, also known as the X-Man Cyclops.
Who the fuck writes this shit?

>After suggesting that a civil war would be the only way to prevent Trump from assuming the highest office in the land, Shannon asserts that if you feel okay about supporting his presidency, it’s probably time for you to just die already. “There’s a lot of old people who need to realize they’ve had a nice life, and it’s time for them to move on,” Shannon said. “Because they’re the ones who go out and vote for these assholes. If you look at the young people, between 18 and 25, if it was up to them, Hillary would have been president. No offense to the seniors out there. My mom’s a senior citizen. But if you’re voting for Trump, it’s time for the urn.” And if your parents voted for Trump? “Fuck ’em. You’re an orphan now. Don’t go home. Don’t go home for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Don’t talk to them at all. Silence speaks volumes.” Despite being from the red state of Kentucky, Shannon says that no one in his immediate family “would ever remotely consider voting for Trump.” So, it sounds like no one around his holiday hearth will have to sit frozen in terror as he stares them down with his severely threatening gaze.

i couldn't give a fuck about Trump but this guy is a cunt

someone without an editor

I don't know maybe because he looks nor acts anything like the character?

dye his hair gray and get a make-up artist to give him the face scar, boom you've got cable.

and like...hes an actor? he can ACT like the character?

>Michael Shannon
Was there literally no one else available?

I doubt he'll do it. My money is on Harbour.

Also Shannon recently mentioned he turned down the Vulture in SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING. Another role I can't really picture him in.

Then again I guess he's a bit of a far cry from the more popular Terrence Stam-ish British snob portrayals of General Zod.

You do realize you just set a criteria in which basically any male actor could be chosen right?

He doesn't conjure the character in any way

Yeah, that was probably his fucking point.

Cable is just a tought guy with white hair. Literally every actor on earth could look like cable.

>conjure the character
Thats called acting

that's like saying any straight white male super hero can be played by any white male actor. Do you not realize that you usually want to cast somebody who embodies the characteristics of the character somewhat accurately right?

Fuck yourself, he tells young people to excommunicate their parents for voting for Trump that is some literally evil shit

>Do you not realize that you usually want to cast somebody who embodies the characteristics of the character somewhat accurately right?

No, I dont. Most roles could be done by any actor who is buff and tall.

Plus more often than not, the movie portrayal ends up being retconned into the comic books. See iron man, wolverine, etc.

NO.

I hated his Zod.

>Marvel Studios starts stealing actors from Fox (Stole Michael B Jordan for Black Panther)
>Fox starts stealing actors from Warner Bros (Stole Ryan Reynolds for Deadpool)

When will Warner Bros start stealing from Marvel Studios, thus creating an actor stealing cycle?

fucking faceblind, refrain from discussing likenesses in any capacity from here on

laaaame. I was hoping for Kevin Nash to play Cable.

He was on set, he even hoked saying they gave him flippers. If you look at the body you cant tell its an aged Shannon.

When they start making good movies that won't be an anchor on the careers of the actors that would star in them.

read this I mean what, do you disagree?

Thought he hated comic book movies?

Why do not they ever listen to the fans?
The choice is obvious and unique.

these hollywood types aren't artists, they don't have any scruples or principles whatsoever they just suck the biggest dick on the block for the biggest load(money) they can get and then spend it all on themselves instead of reinvesting it into their community then bitching about the gubment and republicans boo hoo

Cable is 6'8. Lang is 5"11. and I feel like Cable is at least 50lbs heavier than Lang.

I seriously want to see this, maybe they're just pretending to shop around to negotiate a better deal with him or something idk

The guy has a way of overdramatising the things he says, and a lot of people were upset following the election. Shannon can historically come off on the extreme side of things, but I I would simply advise taking that with the same degree of salt as you would anything else he ever says.

WB has been cribbing from Sony. So far they've got Willem Dafoe, Joe Manganiello and J.K. Simmons.

>le cosplay casting

This is why none of you are in showbiz. This is why they have actual casting directors and don't just google for lookalikes.

You shallow wanks.

>all these Cable casts

Will the movie be about casting the perfect Cable and all the rumored actors will be in it?

so you think michael shannon is harder than lang? wtf

they had an entirely CG character in the first movie i don't think making a guy a little taller is out of the question

that would actually be kinda funny. just have Deadpool and Cable jumping through different time lines and Cable is a different actor each time.

he literally endorsed the excommunication of parents by their kids this isn't just empty rhetoric, that's literally evil and it regardless of how much it affects any one person individually it compounds into a greater toxicity. Like imagine some young queer college student seeing dozens of sentiments like this online and isolating themselves from their parents; it happens and it's disgusting that he doesn't consider that he's enable people to ruin their lives just because he's salty

i would not think twice about having somebody like this blacklisted

I don't see how that affects his ability to play a sueperhero character in a movie.

if you have to CGI the actor to fit the part, then they are not right for the part. Lang would be a terrible Cable anyway I don't get why everyone thinks he is the perfect choice. Now Deathstroke on the other hand would have been perfect.

suck that studio dick harder

It doesn't at all, I like him a lot as Zod but he disgusts me

Wait, did Brosnan die?

And yet, I'd wager if you asked him, he'd say he would be advising children to do that to exorcise themselves of the same degree of toxicity within their own lives. I'm not saying I agree with him, but as I said, the guy doesn't make meekly mouthed statements. He typically goes above and beyond what needs to be said and speaks with the subtlety of a freight train. If you're going to give a shit about what he says while not portraying a character, I'd simply declare that potentially being bothered when he says something extreme is the collateral damage you risk.

... I think I'd be okay with this. He needs to look at cable from the Deadpool game tho and pick up on that.

Fuck it, I'm psyched and I'm praying there are about 15 neck breaking jokes.

Only movie I know him from is Kangaroo Jack... I fkin love that movie.

wtf, I LOVE this guy now

The real question is will they make a 4th wall General Zod joke?

..but he himself is old and wrinkley as fuck, why doesn't he just kill himself?

Do you have principles? Do you only see the world through a sexless bureaucratic and secular lense?

I won't abide an inch of that kind of toxicity lest it become a mile. Especially when it comes to the enabling of others to unmake themselves, seclude themselves and despise meaningful empathetic relationships based on understanding. I have principles

Aging people who still fancy themselves relevant and young spirited will basically cuck themselves like this in order to affiliate with young people which naturally resent them.

Sorcerer Supreme

I dont discuss it. Muh comicbooks is the biggest cancer to cape movies

No, no.

By all means, let's cast based on looks first, then talent. Like with Steel. Or the first Sabretooth.

Shannon could play the part of your mother and you wouldn't know even after being tucked in.

You are all shameful.

>Shannon could play the part of your mother and you wouldn't know even after being tucked in.

He kind of plays the same role everytime tho. Everyone was hyping up his elvis shit but it was the same old stuff. I still think he could do Cable tho.

Almost like buying a new car with your midlife crisis, but instead screaming about bernie?

How about looks AND talent, you do realize how many people would kill for a role like this right?

Are you high?

The guy in Take Shelter isn't Zod. Nor is he Van Allen or whatever the name of his character was in Boardwalk.

Talent makes up for looks.

>Are you high?

not right now... but he always comes off as the same guy. The same ugly, angry strangely effeminate guy. I still think he could do Cable because that guy is very Cable like.

So you haven't seen much of his work.

Ok.

Talent can make up for looks but it doesn't have to. Its crazy that you assume i want someone that looks EXACTLY like Cable at the complete expense of any acting capability whatsoever. Shannon is a good actor i just think you could do WAY better casting somebody for the specific role

They should just get a black guy for cable.

Shannon you don't have to go on 4chins to defend yourself. Just be you. The same you in everything you are in as you.

This. He really doesn't need to be white, his race doesn't have anything to do with his character.

I always thought he would be more mestizoy. Or Indian.

Yes.

Even if he's a good actor (which Shannon can be, but I don't think he was that good in MoS), this needs to be someone who can be in more than just one movie and Shannon will be older by the time a third or 4th DP movie would be ready to helm, given X-Force and however they start shoehorning in Reynolds into other movies they way Chris Evans had a 2 minute cameo in Dark World and Falcon had his 5-8 minute fight scene with Scott Lang in Antman, etc.

I'm not that invested in the movie, and I still see this as a weak idea.

He probably wouldn't be bad but I'm tired of cape movies stealing actors for other cape movies.

More actors exist in the world.

he was, and apparently hated every single moment

just a dummy
youtube.com/watch?v=kDfuL9GifK4

He's busy making avatar movies, fox doesnt want him in both of their big franchises. Needa fresh face for deadpool and x force

Did he really say something like that? I know he certainly doesn't look back at Man of Steel fondly.

The mouth-breathers ITT that think that Michael Shannon has no range are those that never saw Cecil B. Demented.

I never knew how much i wanted this.

Michael Shannon is also funny as fuck.

This, he had some half decent intensity as Zod buy he really seems like an unlikable cunt.

What about Stephen Lang? Or an unknown? That worked great for Negasonic.

Yeah but I imagine he likes money just fine.

>Stephen Lang, an actor typecast as buff, angry old military types shouldn't play Cable
Go back to Sup Forums

As long as it works in the movie who cares?

Please make Hop Cable.

What happened to Pierce Brosnan?

>Wade: Hey, buddy, long time no see. How's the neck?

This. If anything it'll be a neck joke.

Can Shannon do comedy?

>Implying he won't do it for the money then immediately throw them under the bus and never return if he doesn't have an especially good time or like the movie
He's got a rough history with comic movies, they'd be playing with fire casting him. He's like a saltier Bill Murray.

He kills with deadpan. Imagine John Hamm, but better. You are so used to his intense serious performances that humorous dialogue subverts to the point of your stomach hurting.

It'd be better if he played Fantomex anyway.

The problem with Ryan Reynolds
is he only working with friends

Shannon is a good actor. Very good in the Iceman. I think it's a good pick.