inverse.com/article/29370-iron-fist-popular-on-netflix
youtube.com/watch?v=Udg-6zR5Swc&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's a white guy doing kung fu

that's at least a little close.

He has a fist

>Hire someone who looks like Danny Rand
>Make him look like a hobo

And I don't give a fuck about the circumstances of the story in the show. It shouldn't have been written that way and season long origin stories suck.

That's just as much the real Iron Fist as pic related is the real Doomsday.

Yeah, he really couldn't sell the "I've lived and breathed kung fu every hour of every day for more than a decade" very well.

If they just gave him his David Aja costume they could have had stunt doubles do it.

What bothers me more than anything was how they wasted Bride of Nine Spiders.

The only thing that really annoyed me in that show was that Matt seemed like a better fighter than Danny or Colleen.

Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=PBwAxmrE194

It wasn't her user. I mean, they can always write around it in the future.

I really should have seen the warning signs from the start. The fact that it took well over a year for them to even cast a guy for Danny should have been a red flag to signify that the show had a troubled production.

Credits seem to disgree. ;_;

Let's hope they do write around it.

She's a legacy character. Should be easy to do.

If you just pretend Immortal Iron Fist never happened, it almost kinda works.

So he do karate or kung fu, tai chi, jujitsu or what? Why do the chinese girl do Kendo?

Except that looks like Doomsday

Doomday's early form matches the image. It's only after repeated encounters with the supercape community that doomsday's bony exterior develops.

Why does the white guy do Kung Fu?

he's literately the cutest Netflix hero

No, no, you see, there is also a REAL one out there, just watch the DVD bonus on Agents of SHIELD Season 3 Part 1 and it will all be revealed.

Hail to the King was a great short.

I really like this show.

I like it more than Luke Cage, probably as much as DD Season 2.

I feel like this had a more interesting premise then Luke Cage, even if it didn't live up to it's potential I enjoyed it more.

No.

I don't really get why people keep saying that.
I mean, just compare the hallway fight scene against the hatchet men early in Iron Fist and compare it to the hallway fight scene from the beginning of Daredevil.

Danny bears up each and every one of the hatchet men without getting hit once. While also shielding Joy.
Matt in comparison gets beat down to the floor numerous times and almost crawls himself to victory. And then he is half dead and needs medical attention.

And yeah I know that he improves as a fighter a lot and that he is better at it later on in S1 and especially S2. But the point kind of remains. Matt always struggled. Danny did not.

>Up to Ep 5
>A fucking random angry russian is giving Danny trouble

Please tell me they bullshit this away somehow, because this is the moment thats starting to make me lose faith in the show. I could at least buy the sucker punch in the hospital x-ray room

>I really like this show.
You can keep making these posts all the time but that doesn't make it true.

>I really like this show

You have bad taste. And have probably never read any Iron Fist.

>probably as much as DD Season 2
IF didn't have a Punisher-level character of interest. And season 2 still sucked.

>season long origin stories suck.
Especially when it looks like we're not even done with the origin stuff. I mean the guy is still a fuckup with no costume.

I don't really care what he looks like. The show is a poorly written garbage dump of a narrative. Everyone acts completely different on an episode by episode basis. There is no cohesiveness like actual good shows.

Yeah, loras looks frail and unconvincing as a kungfu master but that's really the least of the shows problems

>I mean, just compare the hallway fight scene against the hatchet men early in Iron Fist and compare it to the hallway fight scene from the beginning of Daredevil.
You mean the hallway scene with terrible choreography, a thousand cuts and ridiculous stuntmen overselling a kick to the ankle?

Compared to the long take with clever choreography where every hit feels it has weight?

Yeah, let's compare that.
The former looked like a bunch of people who were hired to make Danny look good while he barely moves around. The latter feels like the people are actually trying to attack Matt.

Sure Matt gets out of there looking like nothing more than a very competent bar fighter, but Danny gets out of there looking like the whole scene happened in an amusement park made by someone trying to make him feel like he's a good fighter.

I understand you mean the show supposedly shows us more adversity for Matt, but it doesn't work if the scene can't actually sell either Danny nor his ennemies as competent at all. It's like saying a guy who easily beats up 5 year olds is a better fighter than a guy who struggles to beat trained fighters.

I never said the scene was shot well. That's kind of irrelevant to whether or not the character fought well.

No it isn't, because if the scene looks like shit, then I'm not buying that the character can fight. As I said it looked like his ennemies were only trying to make him look good while he was awkwardly and slowly moving around. That scene did not make him look like a good fighter, just that he happened to fight people who were even worse at fighting than he is.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because I legitimately love this show. Episode 9 was probably my favorite single episode out of any Marvel Netflix series.

Kyle's murder was one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a while. Like I had to remind myself its not real just to keep myself from crying.

>No it isn't, because if the scene looks like shit, then I'm not buying that the character can fight.
So what you're saying is that you can't suspend your disbelief?

I mean. I get that it's shot poorly. But it's pretty silly to actually argue that the character is meant to be a worse fighter. Those enemies aren't meant as weaker enemies.

>I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

No, you just like garbage television and are probably a woman.

The obvious death of that secretary guy even shook you. I bet you like Game of Thrones.

I'm with you. It's not as great as Daredevil, but I still liked it a lot. Ward and Colleen are great characters, I thought Danny was fine and the fight scenes were decent. I just finished it today and I want more. Couldn't even finish the first episode of Jessica Jones or Luke Cage, both were trash. No way does this show deserve the hate when those were praised.

I hope they don't scrap or downsize the second season because of the reception.

>The obvious death of that secretary guy even shook you

It was obvious he was gonna die, it was just how it was done. He died scared and confused, over some ice cream. He was such a sweet person, seeing him plead and cry just fucking hurt.

>I bet you like Game of Thrones.
Yeah that's my favorite show, I love Khaleesi :)

its stupid, iron fist is easy for a realism costume, you just put him in a green martial arts uniform he steals from some store (leaving money for it, he just doesnt want it in any way linked to him) with a yellow bandana facemask

Iron Fist is one of the properties I was most excited for, and I had set my expectations to zero after Buck got on, and didn't have my hopes up when the reviews were rolling in.

It's not Daredevil, but it isn't 14% either.

Still, I was pleasantly surprised. It was flawed, and I probably could've written a better script. But Ward and Harold were great.

Like Season 7 of Dexter, Buck can do something not bad I guess.
Yeah, they avoided giving the mask on purpose. And that was really stupid.

So you're proving my point then.

Modern tv shows never kill someone you don't expect. It's always clear who's going to end up dying when a character is first introduced.

Timid, scared college student? Who's in a violent show and is working for the main bad guy? Dead.

Or just give him the real K'un L'un uniform of the Iron Fist.

To me, it says "karate hobo".

Which I would totally watch, but the show isn't that either.

Obviously is bating you.

>Timid, scared college student? Who's in a violent show and is working for the main bad guy? Dead

Don't know what point you're trying to make, since I already agreed with you that it was obvious he was gonna die.

>So what you're saying is that you can't suspend your disbelief?
I can, but the show/movie has to work with me on that. If you have Jonah Hill finger-flicking away people and them being awed at his kickboxing skills, it kills the suspension.

>But it's pretty silly to actually argue that the character is meant to be a worse fighter. Those enemies aren't meant as weaker enemies.
Good thing that's not what I did, but what was intended and what transpires are different things, and what matters is the impression it leaves on the viewer.

Danny looked like a shit fighter even in the scenes that were meant to make him look good.

>dropped JJ midway because it was boring as dirt
>didn't even give LC a try because it looked bland
Am I allowed to call IF shit?

At least one episode of LC was brilliant.
I dropped JJ way before halfway.
Start IF on episode 6.

At least one episode of Luke Cage was brilliant.
I dropped JJ immediately.
Iron Fist doesn't start until episode 6.

do you guys think the RZA did a good job?

I'm like three episodes in on this "he says hes danny but we think he's a homeless" shit.
Does this get good at all because so far it's boring as fuck

It sucks for at least the first four episodes.

>but what was intended and what transpires are different things
That's where the suspension of disbelief comes in.

The first season was kind of a mess. Nothing but flashbacks of the plane crash which got old quickly after appearing like twice per episode and adding nothing to the season, Danny's autistic rage since he only two emotions: depressed and angery, the meachums fucking sucked, and Danny pretty much sucks at being the Iron Fist

On a purely conceptual level, this is such a tone-deaf story, setting, and characters. The other Defenders shows have unique themes even if they're imperfect. Luke Cage is about race, class, and the prison-industrial complex. Jessica Jones is about rape culture and trauma survival. Daredevil runs Batman themes of justice vs. vengeance by way of Catholic guilt. They're about *something* while his show is about nothing.

It could've been about so many things. Violence and masculinity, given he was a child soldier trained as a warrior. Privilege and wealth, given Danny is a white billionaire confronting street-level crime. Instead, we were given a pretty stupid character who isn't very good at martial arts, spends half the series in boardrooms and executive offices, and has magic fist erectile dysfunction at several points in 13 episodes.

I'll echo everyone else's point: these things would be forgivable if the action scenes were good. But they fucking aren't. It's asinine that they'd make an Iron Fist show that 1) takes several episodes before the first remotely involved ninja fight, 2) barely shows the magic kung fu city where the hero learned to fight for 15 years, and 3) depicted who should be "the best martial artist in the world" as pretty shitty and routinely beaten by random mooks, mid-level bad guys, and some hospital orderlies. They had one job.

>Jessica Jones is about rape culture and trauma survival
trauma survival I can see, but I don't think rape culture was actually part of the theme. Maybe deranged obsession, but not rape culture.

No, that's where competence in showing what you meant comes in. You can't blame people for not buying shit that's not conveyed properly.
I'm sure you've had moments in movies before where you went "nope, I'm not buying that shit".

I gotta admit I'm a fight scene purist, so I apply harsh standards to that especially for a show about a kung fu superhero. And I can't buy that Danny is an awesome mystical fighter when I've seen tons of movies that convey "good fighter" better and where the character doesn't even have superpowers or 15 years of mystic-city training.
I dunno, blame directors and actors that can do scenes competently I guess.

>Everyone acts completely different on an episode by episode basis

Seemed pretty consistent outside of Joy's last two scenes. Those are the only glaringly inexcusable instances of characters doing total 180s. Well, Davos by extension as well, unless he didn't realize Madame Gao was there

You kidding? Kyle dying was surprising? Come on, user.

Not him, but I can see how someone would read into Jessica Jones and come out with rape culture quite easily.

HOLY FUCK RAGING RIGHT NOW
WHY IS HE SOOO FUCKING RETARDED AT BUSINESS
"MUH RIGHT THING"
I am literally so fucking frustrated watching this pissant waste away his company for his retarded moralfaggotry.
They even explained why selling the pills at profit was okay, the WHO would be subsidizing it, and the profit would go towards more research.
The Plant, good by EPA standards. 15 cancer cases.... HUNDREDS OF JOBS PUT AT RISK BECAUSE OF MORALFAGGOTRY.
No one watching this actually thought this was a good idea right?
holy shit

I agree 100%. Luke Cage wasn't 10/10, but atleast it was about *something*. Luke was a character, he struggled with his choices, he wasn't a total idiot.

As you said, it actually did comment on crime, hood culture, race relations, and it had fucking style, and some levity. Danny is just such a frustrating protag - I see no reason as to why he was chosen as the Iron Fist beyond some vague fucking prophecy. He has anger issues, was obsiouvly only interested in the title for his own personal gain, and abandonded his role because he felt like it. Hes naive, whiny, stupid, and generally clueless.

I want to give the writers more credit than this, but I dunno... maybe they actually thought that was the optimal choice, that a "moral" company would do. Maybe they don't realize that to successfully run a business you have to make profit - not only that, but profit that justifies staying in business or continuing to sell the product.

>They even explained why selling the pills at profit was okay, the WHO would be subsidizing it, and the profit would go towards more research.
A far more worrying thing is that NO ONE in the board thought of using it as a publicity stunt to boost the company's image to the public and how it could increase their sales.

Not qt enough for me

The prophecy thing was retarded. He worked his ass off. They had him say he earned it, but they never showed us anything but people talking about how the prophecy made him great. They actually made his origin more racist than it was supposed to be.

Shutting down the plant was temporary and Danny told them to pay every employee during that time regardless. That was unquestionably the right thing to do because they needed to figure it out. Selling the pills at cost was also the right thing, the board members were just making fake rationalizations for their greed, it wasn't actually going to be so nice as "it will all go to fund more medical research and the WHO will give it to everyone free".

Dumb Sup Forums child.

They also explained how the profits would fund further research and develop more cures.

The point was to show that Danny is a fucking moron, I guess.

>I see no reason as to why he was chosen as the Iron Fist beyond some vague fucking prophecy.
He earned it, allegedly. That's another huge problem with this show: I don't know if it's the budget or just poor writing, but way too much of it is "tell, don't show". I know origin stories are cliche, but we needed at least a few scenes actually showing how Danny Rand became Iron Fist. Instead we get a few snowy flashbacks, glowing eyes from a dragon they can't afford to show, and lots of dialogue about how awesome Kun Lun is.

Never said it was surprising. Read the thread.

If it costs you $10 to make a widget, and you sell it for $10, you can't make a living. If you sell it for $11 and sell 10-20 widgets a day, you can't make a living unless you can live off of $300 a month (worst-case). If you think about it at the small scale, then some of these large-scale business concepts might make more sense.

>Ward killing harold because muh feelings
is everyone in this show a retard?
Harold was one of the few things keeping the show interesting

inverse.com/article/29370-iron-fist-popular-on-netflix

Second highest rated show, good job lads.

Pretty surprising that Daredevil is the least popular by a wide margin.

I typed out a lot of shit about there being 2 ways to tell IF, and really there's only one way it could go in this context.
Either you do his origin, with an actually cool looking K'un L'un for at least 5 episodes, where you see him fucking live and face adversity, and where you could turn what could be misinterpreted as a glorification of privilege into a commentary on privilege being relative, which then gives you a stronger narrative for his comeback to New York.
Plan B being: No budget for K'un L'un so most of it happens with a semi-established IF (because you don't have time to train Jones into a believable established IF) and he deals with New York shit, the most evident being of course the revenge/company plot. And we know how that turns out.

We should have known it was doomed

That's just fucking silly now.

not me, doesn't surprise me at all really. The problem with analytics is it relies on cross-stream chatter so, it probably doesn't have the oomph to talk about it with other people the way other shows do, Daredevil was largely controversy free so.

JJ first chick show, rape subplot all other shit about it, Cage being black came with its own publicist.

And Danny being marvel's batman made it ripe for criticism for some reason. All that bad pressed seems to have helped though.

>privilege being relative
yeah, superrich whiteboy becoming deadparents mcroundeye and working his ass off twice as hard might've been cool
And then we get the fun of him coming back and being disgusted with how much money and power is handed to him

>Danny being marvel's batman
Isn't that fucking ironic. Matt gets double-cucked.

It toyed with the ideas of brainwashing, and the danger of being driven to violence through religious zealotry. Which are GREAT themes for the times we're living in.
But they only mention it for two episodes at the very fucking end.

How? Nothing about it speaks to the complacence of rape culture. The world around her wasn't giving her grief. It was just ONE creepy dude doing it and fucked over every person he came in contact with

youtube.com/watch?v=Udg-6zR5Swc&feature=youtu.be

Best scene of the whole show

Ward killed Harold because he was a fucking insane, dangerous, white male zombie.

>haha you buy me all dis ice crem
>wheres banilla?
>fug :DDDD

Fuck Kyle.

I've only watched Daredevil and Iron Fist, is Luke Cage any good? Or is it boring shit? I'm in the mood for more, but I already know that Jessica Jones is just feminist MUH RAPE propaganda and I won't be giving it any attention.

but was he a dangerous zombie?

It never gets better

I can't believe they've spent 13 episodes on what basically is the first issue backstory for Iron Fist.

With JJ you're more liable to be bored than offended.

I couldn't stand JJ, but it wasn't because it was preachy or propaganda.
It was because I hated every single character. There was nobody to root for, they were all pricks and I wanted them to die in a fire.

How many times are critics gonna get BTFO?

I only watched the first episode of it, but I definitely agree that every character was just irredeemably awful, selfish, and outright unpleasant. She literally spent the entire episode drunk being a huge cunt to people. Sounds like that doesn't change at all.

>It was because I hated every single character. There was nobody to root for, they were all pricks and I wanted them to die in a fire.
Iron Fist is the same way, with the exception of Harold of course

I liked Ward eventually.

JJ isnt that bad.
Not muh rape propaganda.
Just a bunch of shitty people being shitty.

What the fuck is the reason why other heroes aren't noticing The Hand if it really is this dangerous?
Iron Man could easily BTFO these niggas.
Where Dr. Strange at?
So sad it is a shared universe in name only.

>depicted who should be "the best martial artist in the world"

Isn't that Shang-Chi.

Fuck that, where's stick? Where's Matt? Why don't they give a shit about any of this?

truuuu
what is the fucking logic

This. So much this. Same thing with Agents of Shield who spent years fighting Hydra without Cap or the Avengers helping.

On top of what you said, though I've never read either Iron Fist or Doctor Strange comics, based on that movie and this show it seems particularly like those two characters come from more or less the same place. Both involved in magical Himalayan monastery type stuff. Is K'un-Lun not connected to where Doctor Strange was? It feels awfully similar.

Agents of Shield suck

Ward was the true hero of IF. Almost seems like the Meachum saga was its own show and you could just edit the kung fu Danny shit out of it