IT'S

HAPPENING

Get hype but don't believe it until DC officially solicits it, they cancel shit too often.

This. I will only believe it when it is physically in my hands.

noice

So many good collected editions coming our way, man.

>Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire JLI Omnibus
>Kamandi Omnibus

And DC has been great with their somewhat-recent "Book" trade format that they've had to get nice big chunks of material in an affordable package. Worked great for Hellblazer, Lucifer, etc., and I'm happy it seems they're continuing on with it, what with Doom Patrol, Sandman Mystery Theatre, and hell, non-vertigo stuff. Looks like they're gonna collect Planetary, Geoff Johns' Hawkman and others in that format as well.

>people will pretend the is worth reading
Time to play "spot the kids trying way too hard to fit in!"

stan lee pls

I've got to say, I've have become picky with what I pick up because of that "Book" format. Paying $22 (canadian) for six issues compared to $34 for 10-16 issues is making it hard to pick up regular books. I still have the Young Animal line mostly pre-ordered though

Does IST ship to canada? I'unno if that'll offer you better prices or not, not sure about conversions.

And you are certainly correct. There are some things I don't expect to get collected in that nice format (like DC You Doctor Fate or Midnighter for example), but you never know.

Like always with collecting comics in trades and stuff, you gotta balance out "I want to get this book" with waiting for a better collection, not knowing if it'll even come.

Like, i tradewait a number of Valiant titles, and I've been somewhat burned by their superior Deluxe editions collecting 3 trades worth of material coming out when I have the first two trades a couple times now.

And yeah the format doesn't matter too much i know... maybe i'm just 'tisming too much 'bout it.

literally who

THE CURRENT YEAR

Could a fourthWorldfag explain to me why this series is acclaimed and loved?

I read a few issues and it felt rather slow and old-timey in it's sensibilities and techniques. Perhaps, it was a revelation/groundbreaking for western comics when it was released. Anyway, I'm not attacking it or anything, I just want to understand.
I just wanna understand

I like it because Morrison uses them and he uses them well, so the backstory is cool.

b8

Lightray is best boy

No, it seriously isn't, man. I just wanna understand different perspectives and see if I'm missing something.

*Mantis

>collect three of the four omnis
>desperately wait for a reprint of the last one
>DC finally announced...
>...a new omni that collects the whole thing and costs $114
Dammit stop raping my wallet

The big thing for me is how unabashed and creative the concepts are. The scale is huge, the stakes are universal, and even with the wackiness it gets into it never shies away from the material and takes itself seriously.

There is just so much... generation and freshness in it. New ideas, characters, settings and well, everything, are jam-packed into the pages. There isn't any rehashing unless you consider the building upon storytelling archetypes Kirby does rehashing.

The characters created in the Fourth World saga are great continuations of those classic archetypes. The main ones are obvious, Orion, Darkseid, Mr. Miracle, etc., there is a reason they have stood the test of time. Even the smaller players that don't get much focus, like Lonar or Forager, brim with story potential and make you want to know more about them and their world.

And man, this shouldn't need to be mentioned, but the art! It crackles with vivacity and energy. Kirby is one of the best visual storytellers out there, and he conveys motion and power so effectively with phenomenally detailed and interesting designs.

Keep on reading, man. The narration is old-timey, but you get into the groove. And it's always nice to return to a time when an issue of a comic was actually packed with story rather than decompressed to hell and back.

It's pretty much just the concept, IMO there's a lot more duds than hits in it but it's pretty cool, not something I would drop 100 bucks on though

funny

IS it worth reading? I've only ever heard stuff about it.

was it volume two you couldn't get?
I had volumes 1,3,4 for about two years before I finally managed to find volume 2 at a recent price

I'm missing vol. 1. The rest I've managed to find in various used bookstores over the years, but I guess the supply finally dried out the last two years or so.

He's you, user.

>oldtimey
You're not wrth the effort, seriously.

Well hot damn, just when I was worried about breaking bank with the separate volumes.

Now you only have to worry about breaking it in half, because it's going to be fucking huge