Was Cel animation harder to animate with back in the day?

Was Cel animation harder to animate with back in the day?

dump cels?

Have no clue but I wish more shows used Cel nowadays rather than Flash

Yes, and it was also much more time consuming, and impractical for beginners.

Wasn't animation in general harder back in the day

Yes.

Why do you think we switched to digital? It costs less, takes less time, and in the hands of a master, will look even better than traditional.

More please

kind of makes me sad to think
think of every cartoon you saw when you were a kid, even the shittiest ones were a completely unique hand crafted piece of art that may or may not exist in the world anymore

Yes. Old school colouring was harder.

they must be preserved

i dunno user, what do you think?
what takes longer, painting something and waiting for each color to dry in between, or using a fill bucket?
carefully laying down a thin layer of cellulose on a scene, aligning it perfectly, taking a picture, then repeating this 24 times for every second... or just uploading the 24 drawings into the program and waiting for it to render?

the real question is why this obvious simplifying hasnt meant that animation becomes a fuckton more affordable

miss clavel

animation cels are relics of the past and should be taken proper care of

and i barely remember watching madeline as a kid

nah, nuke them in the microwave. it's pretty

I guess so, I mean mostly slave laborers did the coloring.

Here's a bit of a treat. This is a cell of Goldie Pheasant in her first outfit. What makes this special is that they had to add a second cell on top of her to make her more "kid friendly". Later outfits were modified as they weren't finished yet.

And tbis one is without that extra cell. It's a shame they had to hide a booty like that.

And this is what the backside of the cells look like. The ink and paint are all on this side. That means the art was mirrored during this process.

Nobody gives a shit. THROW IT IN THE MICROWAVE.

where is this from

Don Bluth's Rock-a-Doodle

How the fuck is this censoring? Her ass is EVEN MORE pronounced here?

The second picture is the before, the first one is the after.

Apparently, people thought this was too revealing.

(Character color guide, btw)

Damn, I love Madeline. It's been so long since I've seen her.

Goodman award.

nuke the whales

Toonboom is such a ridiculously convenient and powerful program as a replacement that there's really no reason to go back to cels other than for the sake of using older tools.

ToonBoom can also do an amazing job at replicating the cel look if it wanted to, the problem is, people in the industry don't use the bitmap tools as often because it's not as easy to edit and vector lines just make for faster animation. The possibilities are there, very few people are just doing it. Klaus is done in ToonBoom.

Klaus who

Compared to how we can cleanly organize digital art with layers, color swatches, and other shit, while animation cels seem like a huge pain in the ass to work with since it's all manual.

I'm not an actual animator, but it looks as though you have to carefully paint up everything to publishable quality in one go. Fuck up something, hope that you can cover it up, otherwise you'll have to start again. Repeat tens of thousands of times for the rest of the episode.

Multiple layers would probably be awkward to manage for the camera shot above, and often lead to that jarring, slightly drifty effect in the final product.

I can see why there's often more "character" to cel animation. That shit is painted with blood, sweat, and tears.