Logan

Is it just me or was this film really mediocre? I know it was a love letter to Hugh as Wolvie but ultimately everything that happens feels like weak plot contrivance to justify Wolverine dying instead of a story that actually makes sense and is satisfying.

The whole adamantium being poison was just dumb, and if adamantium bullets were the only way to kill him then wouldnt he have died a long time ago? Then theres Laura, who I thought was actually well done, but I'm not convinced that she spent anywhere near enough time with Logan to care so much about him dying, not to mention the time they did spend together was pretty strained and unfriendly. I was just totally unconvinced that she would give a shit after 2 weeks of this guy yelling at her.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it, but this film was hyped up to outer space and I just felt like it was kind of disappointing.

The only thing I really got into was the violence. I can't say it was a bad film, I can't say it was a good one either. It was just kind of mediocre.

Anyone else feel the same?

1. Adamantium IS poison and they've covered that in the comics plenty. Wolverine's healing factor is the only think keeping it from killing him, and when Magneto rips it all out of him, his healing factor gets a massive boost from not having to fight it anymore.
2. The bullet wasn't able to kill him because it was poison, it was because his skull was coated in it. Nothing could get through it, so it couldn't kill him. This is in a universe where he doesn't have completely bullshit "regenerate from almost nothing" healing factor.
3. This is a girl who's entire life was spent in a lab, being experimented on and taught to kill. Along comes the only person in the entire world who could possibly know what she's going through, a little yelling is heaven compared to what she's been dealing with. He helps her to see the world and takes her to where she needs to go, going out of his way to do so. Also Charles was telling her all about him through telepathy.

i applaud you for addressing this in such a beautiful way

Wasnt Wolverine shot in the head by an adamantium bullet in origins and it didnt kill him?

Also, going from one kind of abuse to another less severe abuse wouldnt endear anyone to someone. Charles may have told her all about him, but he painted a far more heroic picture of Logan, and she was pretty disillusioned when it came to the real thing. She herself confronted him about how cruel and uncaring he had been.

Then at the end she just all of a sudden cares so much. It's not believable imo.

What's the reason in this film for adamantium suddenly killing his healing factor and turning him into an old man when it handled it no problem for all those years?

>Adamantium IS poison

Well there's ways around that. Bullseye had it done with out messing up his body.

Adamantium wasn't killing his healing factor, age was. As he got older the healing factor slowed down and the adamantium poisoning started to affect him.

Dude lived for like 150 years and didnt age at all, but all of a sudden he's an old man?

Huh?

He was aging, very slowly. He was going grey in DoFP's bad and new futures.

>Laura aligns the cross on Logan's grave as an X

So we're expected to believe that logan aged that severely in five years?

They hinted during the corn field thing that magic corn goes into everything including liquor.

Then during the mad scientist speech, he makes mention of not wanting to take all the credit for killing Muties but he had some help by using gyne therapy introduced through simple methods like "food" to slowly kill off Muties unnoticed

With his healing factor getting worse and worse every day, yes.

Basically it was (Birth--------------------------weapon X/adamantium---------death).

His healing factor was keeping him young and healthy, but the adamantium poisoning took a lot of its effectiveness away so he started aging faster

>Charles was telling her all about him through telepathy.
And the nurse that helped Luara escape prpbably hyped her for meeting Logan.

X-faggots have no taste as usual, they're just gobbling scraps of anything that isn't gay ice man to talk about.

Oh so that's why his healing factor failed? I didnt think the corn factored into it but that's a good point.

Still it's kind of weird how this universe keeps finding really convenient ways to wipe out mutants.

See that's pretty unbelievable. The scale doesnt make sense to me. He survived with the adamantium inside him for so long, then it just goes into overdrive in five years and starts killing him?

The guy makes a good point about the corn though.

fucking this.
i managed to not break down when xavier died but this shit had me crying like a bitch.

They did it in the comics too. Mutants are constantly shat on, intentional or otherwise, circumstances always find a way to be bad for mutants.

>He survived with the adamantium inside him for so long, then it just goes into overdrive in five years and starts killing him?
No, it's constantly getting worse over time.
The corn thing is almost definitely a significant factor, too.
Just because he seems okay for quite a while, doesn't mean nothing's wrong.
It's like people who feel fine for years, sneeze some blood and it turns out they've had cancer for ages.

what is your post implying?
the OP was expressing distaste for the movie, are you agreeing with him?

It was NEVER directly stated user. Just several people put together the fact they just had to have a corn field speech out of nowhere and suddenly when mad scientist goes on his rant, he mentions gene therapy introduced through basic foods to weaken the X gene was his secret sauce . It's just assumed genetically engineered corn was one of the food products since lo and behold, they happen to mention it's used in basic liquor production. Meanwhile through most the movie logan is still chug a lugging.

Again, never directly stated that corn was on the list of food products just a popular theory. His drinking was slowly killing his healing factor and then the metal took its slow course from there

I thought it was wierd that they'd let religion into a mainstream movie, then Laura turns the cross sideways desicrating a religius symbol making an X.
Subtle, very subtle.

It took 45 years for the adamantium to cause him to age enough to get tiny wisps of white in his hair, so it makes it a little strange to me that in 5 years he completely degenerated into a hobbled old man.

There's no established precedence for it to suddenly progress so quick.

You can't compare someone whose body has successfully fought off a poison for decades to someone who has had cancer for years thats progressed behind the scenes.

Cancer always has symptoms, but theyre not severe enough to be noticed in daily life until they do get to the point where theyre life threatening.

That's a long hand.

>His drinking was killing him

the more sick you get the weaker your immune system gets, allowing the sickness to get worse at an exponential rate

His healing factor started weakening, he started aging a bit. Then he hit a tipping point, between aging and a weakening healing factor, and his healing factor started to fail catastrophically. Age won. Without his healing factor he started reverting to his natural state, a very old man.

Assumably, yes

So we're just assuming that in 5 years the adamntium poisoning just suped itself up enough to make him sicker and sicker?

It just doesnt add up. Without some kind of third party factor theres no reason to assume his body couldnt handle many more decades of poisoning. It took 45 years for him to go a little grey. There's no reason to assume that his healing factor would suddenly be useless.

In other words, it makes no sense for him to get sicker.

They mentioned corn syrup. Corn syrup is in a shit ton of things.

The poison doesn't get stronger, his immune system gets weaker.

Yeah, that was the takeaway most people got from it. The convenience of a corporate owned corn field and old man what's his face blabbin on about how magic corn is

i don't think it was mediocre. it didn't overtell the scenarios of why that timeline was so bad which left it up to the audience's imagination. this means it captured the dystopia of so many x-men timeline stories

Which mutants do you think survived, Sup Forums?

Remember in the first X-Men movie. When Rogue took Logans powers and all the wounds he had just healed came back?

The adamantium poisoning overwhelmed his healing.

Without his healing factor keeping him young, Logan shriveled into an old man.

The plot didn't bother me, I just thought it was kind of dull and badly paced. The same situation (Logan gets whooped, Laura steps or Charles steps in) happens too much. The film tries to be like Unforgiven but it never really has any moral question behind it. The villains are ridiculously evil and callous.

On another note, the solo Wolverine films have mostly been shit, so they were trying to suddenly add all these layers to the character which didn't work for me.

It wasn't that I hated the film, but I saw Kong on the same day and that was much more fun. Logan is a 7/10 film that thinks it's a 10/10 film. They even put the name of the film in silent black and white at the end!

quick question:
So Logan carried an adamantium bullet so he could kill himself.. right?
But weren't he shot in the head with several adamantium bullets during Wolverine Origin?

Yeah and none of them blew a hole through his head. Playing into the theme that he knew he was weakening though he may have wanted to go out in said fashion when he found it most convenient

I dont think him weakening would make the adamatium on his skull weaker.

That much I agree user with the first half of what I said. It's bullshit that it blew buddies skull clean off. At best I would assume super sonic force would allow it to wedge in through his eye socket but the idea that the force of the bullet and it's drag was enough to blow the metal clean off irks me

>. This is in a universe where he doesn't have completely bullshit "regenerate from almost nothing" healing factor.

I'm calling bullshit man, Wolverine's healing factor instantly healed him getting burned by the fucking phoenix. Like you could see the fuckers rib cage at one point and it instantaneously heals.

This universe is full of its own bullshit.

Constantly drinking the liquor made from gene food corn slowly suppressed his healing factor, allowing age to catch up. It got to the point where it could not keep the constant adamantium poisoning at bay anymore.

Yeah. Because a debilitating sickness will do that to you in no time. Just look at cancer patients. Frank Miller, for example.

So how can laura age and not die if her bones are coated in admantium at such a young age? Wouldn't she basically outgrow her own skeleton?

It's just her claws covered in adamantuim.
Covering her growing skeleton would be stupid.
She's an incomplete weapon.

>Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it
If only you would think this hard on things that actually matter in your pathetic life

But her claws are going to end up really, really small and useless.

Look at Wolverine's bone claws, there's no way they'd fit in his prepubescent self's arms. So logically they grew a long with him. Laura's claws now can't.

No matter how small they are, they're still practically indestructible dagger-sized blades.
And hey, she could always tear them out and regrow new, larger bones ones.

As she gets bigger the claws will end up receding more and more, until eventually she'll be lucky to get half of them out.

Is her healing factor good enough to regrow them? Can she reasonably cut admantium claws?

>As she gets bigger the claws will end up receding more and more
Says who?
Who's to say she can't just keep pushing them forward?
You don't know how her muscles work.

>Is her healing factor good enough to regrow them?
Considering she's literally Logan but female and young, yes, it definitely is.

>Can she reasonably cut admantium claws?
Do you mean 'cut out"?

The claws are attached to her bones user. The bones growing push out the claws

>Who's to say she can't just keep pushing them forward?
How would that even work? My point is her arm will grow around the claws and outgrow them.

>Considering she's literally Logan but female and young, yes, it definitely is.
Can he regrow limbs in the films, though?

>Do you mean 'cut out"?
With what? The other claw?

>How would that even work?
Her muscles could push them forward, just like what they do when they come out.
>My point is her arm will grow around the claws and outgrow them.
Taking into account that most people wouldn't want to see that as a plot point, I doubt it.
Mutant powers always work as the plot needs them to.

>Can he regrow limbs in the films, though?
We haven't been shown that, but its reasonable to assume a young Logan could, what with being able to withstand Jean's Phoenix bullshit.
He grew back his bone claws several times and they're just bone, he's grown back flesh plenty of times, there's precedent for sure.

>With what? The other claw?
Ah, well I'd say if she wanted to, she could.
It'd hurt, but it's possible.
In the comics, Laura has taken out a bone claw from a regrown arm to place the adamantuim one she scavenged from the removed arm.

I think you need to read more comics.

>implying I read Laura comics
Nah, if I wanted to read someone's fap fuel I'd just read a webcomic. Was just confused as to how applying admantium to a growing person would work.

>Was just confused as to how applying admantium to a growing person would work.
Yeah, then read some comics.
It's all in there, Sup Forums.
Now fuck off back to your cunnyposting.

>implying I go to that shithole
Listen, son. I'm a big Wolverine fan and I've never so much as touched an X-23 comic.

Then you'd already know most of what you asked about, provided you're an actual Wolverine fan and not a movie-exclusive "fan".
Again, fuck off back to Sup Forums

How would admantium casing on a child come up in Wolverine? He wasn't metal'd until well into adulthood, when he was approaching a 100 years old.

Because Laura is Wolverine.

I said I'm a Wolverine fan, that means OG Wolverine. Aka the only popular Albertan superhero.

I couldn't give less of a fuck about a teenage prostitute fetish fuel character.

Yes you dumbass. You aren't the same young hormone filled teen when u hit your 30s or your 60s. You start aging and get weaker. Logan was fine in his prime just like you and me but age catches up and hits us hard.

>Haha Wolverine is now a girl lol so quirky rite?

Girls better be flocking to this fucking film

You are such a fucking casual please leave. His early healing factor wasn't that bullshit. It was only after the 90s did we get to see Logan with hyper healing factors. Otherwise multiple gun shot wounds used to incapacitate him for days.

Then you aren't a wolverine fan simple as that you casual.

>a teenage prostitute fetish fuel character
You're discounting her by prejudice.
You've never given chick Wolverine a chance, yet you're adamant you know her character so well?
Fuck off, casual.

What does that have to do with the movie?

Your retort is completely pointless not to mention laughably childish.

What the fuck does reality have to do with a completely fictional situation about a fictional person?

You can't justify things in a comic book movie with bu bu reality.

makes 0 sense.

It was the highest grossing R rated Film so probably

>you're discounting her by prejudice
Y'know what? Maybe I am. I liked Wolverine being a rough and tumble, grizzled Canadian badass. I don't give a fuck about Laura, with the teenage prostitute thing only compounding it.

>Is it just me or was this film really mediocre?
yes
the movie was great

>Maybe I am
You are 100%.
That's fine, I understand it, but don't act like you know her character.

Besides, the teenage prostitute thing makes sense.
I'm sorry, but I really cannot be bothered explaining it for the hundredth time, but it isn't just fapbait.
You don't have to, but I'd recommend giving her a chance.
I also hate her taking the "mantle" of Wolverine. Wolverine is his fucking mutant name, not a title, for fuck's sake.

>I'm not convinced that she spent anywhere near enough time with Logan to care so much about him dying, not to mention the time they did spend together was pretty strained and unfriendly. I was just totally unconvinced that she would give a shit after 2 weeks of this guy yelling at her.
You clearly do not understand a woman's mind.

Look, you have a trained weapon with superpowers who has to get into crime. Why the fuck wouldn't she be used as an enforcer? Or bodyguard? Why a prostitute.

Just seems like a fetish of the writers.

>Why the fuck wouldn't she be used as an enforcer? Or bodyguard? Why a prostitute.
She's still actively avoiding those who want to reclaim her.
A bunch of people turn up dead from some chick with claws?
They're going to find her.
Prostitution gives her easy, discreet money.

Besides, she doesn't want to be a weapon, why would she kill people for others, you know, the situation she ran away from?
Oh right, you haven't read any of it, no wonder it doesn't make any sense to you.

Could be those bullets weren't loaded too hot, old guns might not have been able withstand the power needed to fire an adamantium bullet hard enough to blow his brain completely out. Exploding handguns are not useful.
At least that's a way they can spin it if they like, alternatively the slug itself is designed to penetrate the skull adamantium then explode or something. Just pick any option you feel like or make something up.

I'm kinda sad no one made a plot point of the adamantium rusting or something.
A metal inside a body for so many years, with all the heat and fluids, should rust after a while, right?

>Prostitution gives her easy, discreet money.
As opposed to, say, thievery? Something else she's trained for?

My guess is prostitution pays out a lot more than thievery, especially with her being marketed as not only underage, but being strong and having no issue cutting people to shit, something the clients want.
And after all that time locked away from everyone, it's nice to have someone touch you, even if it ultimately means nothing.

Back we're back to where we were before.
You'd know this is you read some comicbooks.

I would guess adamantium is supposed to be like gold, doesn't rust or anything much, might slowly wear down into his body though thus the poisoning or something.

>My guess is prostitution pays out a lot more than thievery, especially with her being marketed as not only underage, but being strong and having no issue cutting people to shit, something the clients want.
Are you an idiot? No way prostitution would pay better than thievery.
>And after all that time locked away from everyone, it's nice to have someone touch you, even if it ultimately means nothing.
Are you sure this ain't fetish fuel, son?

>Are you an idiot?
Are you?
Logic says that being an underage prostitute would already pay a ridiculous amount, but that she's more than capable of domming her clients would only pay out more.

>Are you sure this ain't fetish fuel, son?
Yes, very much so.

If you want to discard it as fetish fuel, be my guess.
If you legitimately want to know her motivations, try actually reading comicbooks, you fucking casual.
I'm done.

She was forced into prostitution by a Pimp Named Zebra Daddy. She was suffering from an ambiguous personality disorder at the time, which left her mostlt mute.

>be super well trained assassin with super powers
>get forced into prostitution
What.

>Logic says that being an underage prostitute would already pay a ridiculous amount, but that she's more than capable of domming her clients would only pay out more.
And her breaking into a nice house and stealing valuables would pay twice that, without having to deal with giving the pimp a cut.

>What.
Read some comics

You could explain to me how that happened.

He didn't force her with violence he found her living on the street took her in then put her to 'work' and she let it happen.
Again, she was suffering from a mental/personality disorder at that point in time and was easy to manipulate because of it.
When she found help, and people that cared about her, she left Zebra Daddy.

Yup.

> still waiting on that chapter where she saves the day and some John notices her.

> Laura, Is that you? It's me John doe
> I'm the guy you used to suck off behind the McDonald's on 5th
> remember that one time I was so wasted that I up chucked my lunch all over you and you just kept on suckin cause you really needed the money?
> or that time Mike brought his dog and you earned an extra 400 that night? Sick shit huh?

I really need to stop reading reviews and coming to Sup Forums before a superhero movie is released, most of the time you guys overhype things too much.

It happened with GotG and Deadpool too. All 3 were pretty good movies, but nowhere near as great and lifechanging as some people here said. All the time I could only think "This is ok, but when the fuck is this movie gonna blow my mind like everyone's saying?". All 3 times I just left the theater slightly disappointed because they didn't live up to the hype.

Fanboys exist user

You forget to take account all the beating Wolverine takes on a regular basis. Healing from horrible injuries while at the same time trying to stop poisoning would strain his healing factor exponentially as the poisoning progressed, allowing his age to catch up once it gets to the point where it's visibly affecting his appearance.

bones actually grow in the middle, with the ends staying in place iirc, but maybe that's just your shin and forearm and shit, i'm not really sure

IT was mediocre, but it did get me teary at the end. My heart sank with with Prof. X's scenes. Not to mention Logan's final scene really pulled my heart strings. Certainly had more impact than Han Solo dying at the end of TFA.