Why are british comic creators superior to americans?

How can it be that some (if not all) of the greatest comic book writers and artists are british? Is this how it feels to the brits that they've created soccer, but are consistently shit at it?
Seriously, just look at this list:
Writers: Moore, Morrison, Gaiman, Milligan, Ennis, Ellis, Millar, Delano, Abnett, Gillen, Grant, Jenkins, Furman, Mills, Spurrier
Artists: Bolland, Gibbons, Fabry, McCarthy, Dillon, McKean, Quitely, Davis, Hitch, Buckingham, Westen, Bisley
What gives?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LHbpvY1rk6s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I guess that's why all the viable British talent jumped ship to America at the first opportunity. Because brit comics are better.

Being paid in dollaridoos is better, at least until Bush Jr. tanked them, but even then, you just ask for more dollaridoos

Sorry for the hipster reply, but try reading American comics outside of only Marvel and DC.

Stopped reading at Millar.

> (if not all)
> forgets about Based Canadian Comics God (RIP)

>le Blandmage is changing the medium

Superior education

This. Op is a faggot.

Because you only ever hear about the good writers/artists from over there.

Trust me here, if you had a lot more contact with the British comic scene, you'd find that there's just as much crap in it as the US scene.

Because they cut their teeth not making cape comics. Writing a variety of genres from science fiction to action to horror. Even politically charged commentary work like Ennis on the Troubles in Northern Ireland.

Whereas U.S. creators are raised on and just write vapid commercial cape crap. The few good U.S. writers and artists are ones who learnt their trade doing something different coming from a noir crime or indie background like Miller, Brubaker, Azz, Rucka, Hickman etc say.

See British actors being classically trained in Shakespeare and serious drama vs American actors basically being vapid models, in Hollywood as a similar example.

There was also the matter of creator rights. Up until the early 80s, british creators by and large weren't even credited for their work, let alone allowed to keep it or make money off royalties. Artists had to surrender all their art. By comparison, DC's contracts were a shining light.

I prefer Kirby to all the guys on both lists, that's what.

good post

Someone needs to storytime a 2000 AD story called Valkyries. It was about a future where some planets were man controlled and some were woman controlled, I think the plot was that some aliens were trying to trick the men into using wormhole technology to steal woman planets because traveling through the wormhole would kill everyone and the aliens could then eat them.
It contained cheesecake.

I liked Don Lawrence also.

Writers: Because they read more than just superhero comics books
Artists: I don't think that's true.

I mean... Rucka and Brubaker are guilty of doing the same thing over and over again too.

Probably true of the artists also. They draw every genre from including adult comix. Afaik they tend to go to art school as well.

Not really. I mean sure, you've got McCarthy and Quitely and Fegredo and McKean but Dillon and Hitch are shit and Gibbons isn't anything special.

You still have americans like: JH Williams III, Jon J Muth, Bill Sienkiewicz, Jock, Del Mundo, Sean Murphy
And internationals like Rafael Albuquerque, David Aja, Teddy Kristiansen, Manapul

we only hear about the good ones in the US. so it looks like they are all good
you could list of just as many great US artists easily but they get lost in the mud of crappy ones

that or your personal bias would just dismiss them all

For artists, that might be true
But writers like Moore, Morrison, Ennis, Ellis, Gaiman constantly get placed among the top ten comics writers

>mfw

Kirby, Gerber, Englehart, O'Neil, Frank Miller, Howard Chaykin, Clowes, the Hernandez brothers, Ditko, Dave Mazzuchelli, Bill Sienkiewicz, Neal Adams, Priest and Jim Steranko are all on the same scale as the creators you mentioned.

>Pat Mills' face when the cheap Six Million Dollar Man ripoff becomes the readers' favorite strip

Morrison, Ennis and Ellis are good but FAR from the worldwide top 10 (if there is one).

Seriously? Have you read some of their best stuff? Ennis' Hellblazer? Transmet? Invisibles? The Boys?

Seriously? Do you read much comics outside of the American mainstream?

I had never seen him but this is exactly what I expected him to be like, piss off wanker gesture included.

Wait 'till you hear him speak: youtube.com/watch?v=LHbpvY1rk6s

>he even dreams about people being decapitated

When Mark Millar thinks he's edgy as fuck, it is Pat Mills who shows up in his dreams and says
>piss of u bloody scot i'll fukkin dek u

Absolutely. He's a big part of the Future Shock 2000AD documentary from a few years back, and it's grand. Just full on old punk. I could listen to him for hours.

Garth Ennis' The Boys is softcore version of Marshal Law

Jesus, I'm loving this, he's exactly how I want it to be. Where can I find this doc, famalam

I love Ennis but Marshall Law is way above his league, Mills / O'Neil is one of the GOAT creative teams.

Actually, Ennis and Mills should be taught as "how can you be edgy without coming off as a retard"

>Mills / O'Neil is one of the GOAT creative teams.
In that 2000AD interview Mills says that DC approached him and O'Neil to make Marshal Law meets Batman, but I guess the offer is off the table now. Sounded like it had something to do with he change in direction for Rebirth

It's called "Future Shock: The Story of 2000AD", and it came out in 2014. Though there's a Blu-ray version coming out sometime soon with extended scenes and interviews. And a torrent somewhere out there.

What, I haven't ready anything by DC in a while but I doubt this would work, tbqh, DC would never let Mills come out as the absolute madman he is

Found it on youtube, thanks for the rec m8, between the doc and all the panels in that con on youtube I'll have a lot of watching to do

>DC would never let Mills come out as the absolute madman he is
It's what he says in that 40 years interview, it was going to be an alternate Earth.

Yeah, I only got to that part after I posted

If you're jonesing for something in that area, there's always his Punisher 2099. Honestly the breadth Mills has is amazing, and he usually hits.