Is it Disney's fault this has become a glorified IP farm and a shell of it's former self?

Is it Disney's fault this has become a glorified IP farm and a shell of it's former self?

kinda yeah

Disney has little to nothing to do with how the comics branch is run, except at the highest levels

Comics as a whole are a glorified IP farm because America doesn't like comics.

Fuck no. Ike's been doing that ever since Toybiz bought Marvel.

Smartest buy disney has ever made

Nah. Axel and sara are.

But it's not ip farming, most ideas wont ever be in the movies.

the movies are either origin stories or relatively recent stories

No, they've been bad since before Disney.

2PBP

Stories yes, characters no.

You won't ever see doom as iron man in the movies or the multiple death events or replacement characters.

Certain marvel excutives don't want to merge both canons.

It was shit for years before getting bought.

And they adapt almost nothing of what happens in those stories.

I feel like it's a dysfunctional relationship on both sides.

Like the initial buyout torpedoed Marvel's animated stuff and all the Disney comics being made at Boom.

Then you had corporate wars between MCU and Fox's Marvel properties seeping into the comics and resulting in FF and X-Men getting the shaft.

Then you have MCU (and admittedly Star Wars) leading the execs to realize they don't need Tron anymore so the franchise got de-rezzed.

And figuring out what they could get away with in the parks with that Universal contract looming over them resulting in something as fucked as the Guardians of the Galaxy Tower of Terror redo and Guardians being tossed hot-potato style between Epcot and DHS in Florida as far as how to implement it goes.

Really as a Disney fan, I feel like the only real benefits we've gotten are Big Hero 6 and those theme park comics, but the "Start Times" on new minis of those have been getting more sporadically spaced

This.

It was already like that when they bought it.

>except at the highest levels

Explain

What was it's former self though?

thats kinda because doom and ironman are different movie franchises

marvel is great nowadays!

This!

Current marvel comics are amazing! Just like the DCEU movies are great! I'm glad to live in a world with the DCEU movies and marvel comics! Great stuff in the same tier!

>shell of it's former self
You say it as if Marvel was great or something to begin with. It almost go bankrupt, dude, Disney saved Marvel

no I'm pretty sure they did that to themselves

This
Comics are not nearly as popular as they once were they got killed by tv, which got killed by the internet. That's why all the big comic companies are a branch of a larger company, they need them to survive. In America comics aren't given the same recognition as books.

MCU and merch.

It's not Disney's fault that Marvel is shit.
But it's Disney's fault that Marvel remains shit.
If anything people should be clamoring for Disney to bring some order to that shit show.
Can't get any worse than it currently is.

No, it's Ike Pearlmutter's fault. He was the one that kept trying to push shit like the shithumans.

It's also Axel, Brevoort, and everyone else at Marvel Comics fault. They are literally ashamed of their white male cis heroes and want them to die. While pushing shitty comics with shitty controversy to stay relevant.

If anything, Disney is the one doing the best with the Marvel. The sale was the best thing to happen to them. Disney is making the Marvel ip actually worth something. Captain America The Winter Soldier is better than 99% of Marvel's comics and cartoons.

>they don't need Tron anymore so the franchise got de-rezzed.
This still hurts.

This is why marvel comics are fucked.

>one of the handful of editors in charge of good books

the bankruptcy was in the 90s.

By the time DIsney bought them out they had recovered from that.

You can't blame Disney for stories like Clone Saga or OMD.

Yeah, go back to the days when Disney created their own IP like Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White, Peter Pan, the Jungle Book, the Little Mermaid, the Fox and the Hound, Hercules, the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Alice in Wonderland, Pocahontas and Aladdin.

she's the head of character development and content, she's no longer just an editor of a handful of titles.

I've read interviews with her about how she was bullied because she was the only muslim in her elementary through high school classes, what she is doing at marvel is payback, either subconsciously or not.

Marvel was bad long before the legacy character thing though. Just one piece of the puzzle.

It was always fucked, Stan always wanted to branch out into movies, cartoons, etc.

I liked the remender and hickman years for the most part. in the past 2 they've totally fucked up.

Yeah don't get me wrong. It was better then than it is now, but it still wasn't good. Company as a whole has a lot of problems that I believe probably ultimately start with talent scouting.

>it's a thinly veiled "it's okay when deecee does it" thread

Disney has gotten a bunch of money from the purchase at a time when the general future and profitabliity of the film industry in the USA and Europe is in a quite uncertain place.

Not entirely. That's why Marvel wanted to get into a movie business themselves.

Not really. If anything they've been two hands off.

Marvek told Avalanche Software to make figures of Yondu for Disney Infinity and Disneu told them to obey Marvel. That figure was one of the key reasons the Disney I finity brand sunk.

Well, Disney would probably stop Marvel from doing something like making Spider-Man a pedophile, but everything short of that and they'd probably just shrug and go on not giving shit about some pissant publication that barely sells in the hundreds of thousand copies a month IF it gets lucky

They care about the image of the characters, not the content of the actual books

No, I think its that Perlmutter guy.

I think the problem is no one knows where the Mouse ends and Marvel's BS begins, the only wildly known intervention was Siege, because Disney hated the Dark Avengers, even tho the concept was gold and Marvel had not even begun to dry up that well

1) Except in that case Dark Avengers ended because Siege was over and Osborn was fired. Much like Bendis's first run on Mighty Avengers ended when SI ended and Tony got fired (though you did have a totally unrelated team taking over the book).

2) They did relaunch Dark Avengers later with Parker.

Was it a downward spiral when Marvel kept trying to reel people in with weird events like House of M?

No, the current and previous EIC have just done a terrible job of running the show.

Absolutely. Did you see what they've done to Star Wars? Everything the Mouse touches turns to shit.

don't have nearly enough 's for your correct post.

Pretty much these, let's face it Marvel can keep making shitty comics and push the legacy heroes, because as long they have the MCUMarvel is not going bankrupt like the last time

>Comics are not nearly as popular as they once were

This just isn't true. Since 2011 comics have been on the rise. They went down in 2009 due to the recession which effected all industries not just comics.

They've been regaining momentum since 2011. Stop with this "comics are dead" meme. The numbers don't back it up.

Marvel might be screwing the pooch as far as their comic book universe is concerned, but there's literally no evidence that comics are dying. People have been saying the same bullshit for literally 50 years (tv is killing comics, video games are killing comics, internet is killing comics) yet comics have been rising all the time.

A spiral implies it gets worse steadily. I'm telling you it gets worse exponentially.
The 2000's sure had a lot of events and some of them were shit, but the talent was still there to keep everything together overall. Decline was very slow. Then the shit events started to pile up around 2010 and by the time AvX happened, the downward progression had picked up a bit more of a pace. Still some talent around to keep core books functional to a degree.
Then the first relaunche happened and here is where it really speeds up. Basically a lot of core books faltered and became shit and most of the remaining good stuff resided in the smaller titles, but things like X-Men Legacy or Scarlet Spider etc. at least still made it to around 20 issues. Two relaunches later even most minor books were shit now with most of the talent leaving by now. Even what little remains gets cancelled within 12 issues.
Forward to now where we fear for books within 6 issues already and most of the once interesting small books get taken up by shitty characters nobody cares about.
There has to be a limit to how bad at publishing super hero comics you can get, though.
So I guess eventually Marvel has to plateau at some hitherto unknown depth of godaweful.

Jesus Christ

Disney understands that the brand must be healthy for the IPs to grow, so they let companies operate how they used to prior being acquired, so fans don't lose respect for the brand.

Disney's meddling is directly proportional to how much money you can make and how much money you cost doing so. Star War's new canon does lots of stuff, going as far as rebels being pretty free to do whatever. The same thing goes to Marvel too. this is because they stuff is relatively cheap to do or does wonders for the brand (ie: TCW and Rebels are hugely influential despite animation being expensive to do). but by example Disney directly controls what is made in the movies - They cost billions and can make billions, so they have to ensure they are as low risk as possible.

The Force Awakens was basically episode IV 2: electric bogaloo because everyone was scared shitless of the movie flopping, they played it extra safe and then realized they played it too safe because people felt the movie was somewhat dumb. But they got their proof of concept and new foothold into more star wars movies, proceeding to make Rogue One and spin offs.

Marvel's current dark age is indirectly because the Nerd fandom, of which practically every comics person ever is part of, has self destructed. This carries on to artists who now make comics that have more to be with their status in the fandom than their interest in comics, resulting with lots of rule of cool stuff that has virtually 0 depth.

Several years of this and frankly subpar discipline and editorship from the administrative aspect of Marvel (this should give you an idea how much freedom disney gives them) has tired out the readers, so now sales are going down.

Beyond that, if you want to get technical, Marvel has been an IP farm since Goodman sold it to New World in 1986 then Bob Harass took it for himself.

Took the words from my mouth
If anything, Marvel needs some comandeering from Disney to sort its shit out
They've wasted so many opportunities for corporate synergy with movies and tv, don't know how these disfunctional clowns haven't been given the boot yet. No business sense whatsoever

Everything is awful but that last part, holy shit but I guess Sarsour is just buttmad because Ali fights actual female opression and has spoken against Sharia Law.

All these muslim Americans that defend shit like Sharia Law don't know what it is to live under it or to live in a country that actually practices it.

Ali is a victim of female genital mutilation and knows firsthand what sexism and female opression is, so these armchair SJW feminists are buttmad at her.