What's the difference between surrealism and absurdism?

What's the difference between surrealism and absurdism?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Metamorphosis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Absurdism is taking a normal situation and adding something nonsensical/impossible--monty python's flying circus is the best broad example

surrealism is taking a real situation and adding something that is also real and possible but extremely unlikely

I'm probably wrong anyway but made you look ha ha

Surrealism is the unimaginable, absurdism is the unthinkable.

why is Franz Kafka's The Metamorphis considered absurdism and not surrealism then?

>Absurdism is taking a normal situation and adding something nonsensical/impossible--monty python's flying circus is the best broad example
>surrealism is taking a real situation and adding something that is also real and possible but extremely unlikely

Wouldn't that make David Lynch an absurdist?

absurdists push unending rocks up infinitely high hills, surrealists paint melting clocks.

TEAS is surreal

Absurdism is asking Sup Forums to define the difference between surrealism and absurdism.

Surrealism is the same thing but your computer is a lobster.

what does this post even mean

>Surrealism is the same thing but your computer is a lobster.
what would the point of that be? What's the effect?

If the point of absurdism is to be purposefully illogical then what's the point of surrealism? To appeal to emotion?

I read both rocks and clocks as cocks. I need sleep

aburdism is about dealing with the futility of life, surrealism is about doing something you think nobody-else would think to do.

Absurdism is about the gap between human desire for meaning and a vast, random, uncaring universe.
Surrealism is about creating art that transcends the ordinary limits of rational thought and expectations.
So absurdism is more like a state of affairs in the world that absurdist philosophers or artists try to grapple with, while surrealism is a form of creativity the artist introduces to the world to try to go beyond more typical forms of art.

>aburdism is about dealing with the futility of life
I see what you did there. You said something absurd.

It isn't, though?

I think absurd is when something doesn't make sense, and surreal is when something shouldn't make sense but does anyway.

>the point of surrealism
lol

Surrealism is the waking world coming into contact with the dream to produce meaning from nothing.

Absurdism is the nightmare coming into contact with the waking world to reduce meaning to nothing.

theyre both just memes

>Absurdist fiction

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Metamorphosis

Absurdism is experience.
Surrealism is environment.

Naked Lunch is a surreal movie, Mr. Nobody is an absurdist film.

>creating art that transcends the ordinary limits of rational thought and expectations.
And what is the point of transcending the ordinary limits of rational thoughts and expectations? Why do it?

And I'm not being absurd.

Absurdism revolves around the idea that existence is a cruel joke played at our expense, in which the state of being alive leads us to the false impression that we have a genuine purpose, when really the universe is simply far too chaotic to carry any meaning whatsoever.

Surrealism is a creative exercise directed towards overcoming the limits of formal logic and rationality by forging new and unorthodox connections between seemingly disparate elements. Surrealist art typically recreates the conditions of a dream state in order to utilise its creative potential

Surrealism is wacky for the sake of wacky
Absurdism is wacky because God isn't real and our real lives are just as stupid in the grand scheme of things

>Absurdism is the nightmare coming into contact with the waking world to reduce meaning to nothing.

That would be nihilism. Absurdism is the passive acceptance of the nothing but continuing anyway.

There is no point to creating any kind of art or doing anything at all. Are you 12?

It's accepting the nightmare for what it is because it doesn't really matter anyways.

Absurdism is funny.
Surrealism is weird.

>I think absurd is when something doesn't make sense, and surreal is when something shouldn't make sense but does anyway.

I like this definition but there's no proof that it's technically correct.

Or this. This whole thread seems to be opinions. Does anybody know what absurdism and surrealism truly are?

David Lynch is considered surrealist. But the official definition of surrealism is to be weird just to be weird and I don't get that feeling from his work.

Kinda, its all about making people feel certain things but making it more impactful by throwing in shit they've never seen before.
There's not really any logic to it besides what the creator was trying to achieve.

>There is no point to creating any kind of art or doing anything at all

>Surrealism is a creative exercise directed towards overcoming the limits of formal logic and rationality by forging new and unorthodox connections between seemingly disparate elements. Surrealist art typically recreates the conditions of a dream state in order to utilise its creative potential

what the fuck is special about melted clocks
you can melt a clock in real life

>user stares into the blank unreceptive void and pulls a retarded face to mock it

There you go - this is absurdism

so it's just an unconventional way to induce emotion

>an unconventional way to induce emotion
Yes, that's a description for every form of art

Not like in the painting, though. Not to the point where the clock is visibly melted, yet it still keeps time.

You are so helplessly uninformed and ignorant it's comical

ABSURDISM IS ABSURD SHIT
SURREALISM IS SURREAL SHIT

one is for spooks and one is for jokes

Sort of both actually. He often does really fucking weird situations that are actually completely possible irl. Like weird old lady buying 20 gallons of milk because she heard it can get gum out of a washer or something equally stupid.

bump

fish

what?

Exactly

"no".

surrealism is when tony cant kill his coach because the bullets melted

absurdism is when fish pus talks to tony

you're never going to get anywhere with this if you can't even tell the difference between a fish

what do you call it when tony died of being too fat IRL

In absurdism, there's an element of needing to subvert exoectations for comedic purposes. Surrealism has no such qualms. So absurdism is predictable in its own way.

Tony Stark?

A FISH AND WHAT

realism

Wow. Those are actually great examples. Kudos, user.

Absurdism is combining two established tropes together in a nonsensical yet comical way.

Surrealism throws tropes aside and revels in idealist creativity.

I haven't seen The Sopranos.

because it's absurd that a human would transform into a bug

This is the basic way to put it. I think the only other way is to use examples:

Luis Buñuel is an absurdist. If you watch any of his more art house stuff (Phantom Of Liberty, Exterminating Angel), he focuses on symbolism that exhibits absurd behavior. Most of his films are extremely funny because of this, though not many people get them because they're probably making fun of them. Generally, absurdism has a caustic purpose in that sense, and can be given meaning equally by the creator and interpreter.

David Lynch is a surrealist. Surrealism, I don't think, has a specific purpose, but rather goes outside the box to explore the realms of the medium, hence why Lynch's films are generally "unintelligible", when really they're just an artist having fun with the obscure. They garner meaning MOSTLY from the audience seeing as how impersonal they generally are, however in the instance that surrealism is very personal, it's influenced by either dreams or imagination.

The similarities, therefore, are that they can either mean next to nothing or many things, and they're both highly inaccessible if you don't like to use your brain.

but it's not within the realm of possibility.

It's just non-sequiter humor.

Surrealism = dream-like
Absurdism = ridiculous

That's why it's absurd and not surreal

he's talking about Sisyphus and Dali

What the fuck is "symbolism that exhibits absurd behavior"? What does that mean? I've only seen Belle de Jour.

And you can say Bunuel is an absurdist but he's considered by the majority a surrealist.

How is being turned into a giant beetle unthinkable as opposed to unimaginable?

>tfw i can't remember any of those scenes
i should rewatch it

this guy gets it

see

Saying you'll get dubs and failing and not meaning to get dubs and getting

I would say the difference is absurdism is antagonistic.

Surreal puts a bigger emphasis on nuance, the absurd is simply absurd, Eric Andre falls into the straight up garbage category

Okay, so being turned into a beetle is absurdist because it's ridiculous but it's not dream-like?

What is dream-like then? I kind of get it, but don't know how to articulate it.

>english words
Kek

symbuleism iz kino, i cam maek upz aniting and froze da plebs ta dink iz tha realz meaninzings

Fucking dummy lmao

my dick

bump