$800 for raw fish and steamed rice

Whats the possibility that it was all a scam?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_There
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Every review of his restaurant says the rice is too vinegary. If your entire menu is one item you shouldn't have such a flaw. Fucking con artist.

all hype, and got big boost from jewfag bourdaine's tv show.

just goes to show if you charge high $$$ and keep doing it consistently, some idiots will pay

just look at the smug bastard

>rice is too vinegary
You weren't kidding, literally every review says this.

I don't think you understand the power dynamics here.
His whole deal is he's fully aware he's recognized worldwide as the greatest sushi chef of all time.
For example, note that he's been operating for many years now with so much demand that there's a mandatory reservation system with the earliest you can get in being one month out from when you contact them.
Also there's the prices obviously, he's charging hundreds of dollars for about eight bites worth of fish.
And add to that he was given a perfect 3 star Michelin rating, something that before that point had only been bestowed upon full blown restaurants.
Which brings me to another point: He outright refuses to serve basically anything other than sushi. You can't even order a drink.
Which brings me to yet another point: You don't even order when you go to his sushi place. He picks the food you will eat.
And lastly he's famous because of that documentary, with celebrities and the US President having shown up to eat there.
So I don't think he cares at all if you or other reviewers complain about the vinegar being too much. Every aspect of his daily reality is constantly reinforcing to him the notion that he knows better about how food works than anyone else on the planet, either alive today, having been alive in the past, or will have been alive in the future, is capable of knowing. If someone complains about some aspect of his food, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say he will interpret this as that complaining person's misunderstanding about how food should work.

>You can't even order a drink
Fuck that.

Fuck Jiro.

Dumb piece of shit.

You think about food too much.

Its the emperors new clothes, an idea is created and feeds into itself and each person afraid of being contradicted holds their tongue. I mean who's stupider, the guy who paid 800 bucks for sushi or the guy who paid 800 bucks for bad sushi.

Did you watch the documentary?
Everyone mentions how uncomfortable it is eating there. Jiro is a joyless perfectionist who looms over you and makes you feel self-conscious that you're eating his food wrong. He also maintains a rushed pace, and you're expected to just eat the fish as fast as he gives it to you without even sitting down (he apparently pinpoints exactly when the fish is at optimal condition which partially explains why you're supposed to eat it right then when he gives it to you without any hesitation).
Basically, he's not really running a restaurant in the traditional sense where you're trying to satisfy customers with your food and dining environment. It's more like he's trying to operate at peak performance as a sushi artist and the customers are just there as part of the process of exercising his craft.

Not really, I don't even like eating in general very much because of intestinal ulcers, I just happened to watch this documentary and read up on it not too long ago and found the whole situation interesting. I'm definitely not some /ck/ food enthusiast.

You forgot the fact that he charges hundreds of dollars

I mentioned that here:
Didn't feel like repeatedly mentioning it in every subsequent post.

I want to punch anyone that eats there and enables this type of retardation

Jiro isn't the greatest sushi chef of all time retard. Actual Japanese people view him as overrated.

How fucking hard is it to cut some God damn fish? You don't even cook it

Jiro confirmed hack fraud

>/ck/
>food enthusiast
I can confirm he's never been to /ck/

I didn't say he was the greatest sushi chef of all time, I said he was recognized that way, which is true per you're "overrated" description. The people doing the overrating are the ones giving him the impression he's the greatest sushi chef of all time.
Whether he actually is or not is irrelevant to the fact he clearly believes he is.

I've never eaten there and I can confirm that he's the greatest chef of all time.

Fuck off Jiro

i enjoyed the film visually

> this 134 year old Chinese autist makes a killing selling uncooked food to amerilards while you can't even get a minimum wage job

What's your excuse, lads?

Not sure if you're trying to make some sort of point.
Again, I'm not saying he's the greatest sushi chef. I'm just explaining what his own mindset is. He specifically remarks in the documentary about how people would tell him there's nothing new you can do with sushi because all the historical greats had already explored it all, and his response to that was that there was always room for improvement and that he went beyond what others in the past had done.

I don't know why you're interpreting what I wrote as pro-Jiro.

You should see this Jiro guy. He thinks about food so much he DREAMS of SUSHI

ITT men of soy YouTube generation retards who don't understand passion and craftsmanship

>Posting a soyboy's version of a bulldog

This. He truly is the food patrician.

That'd be Boston Terriers, girls usually have the Pugs.

I was just saying stuff. I didn't even read your post

Call me a redditor but this made me spit out my drink.

All sushi tastes the same to me desu
I just usually pour a bunch of that spicy green sauce on my plate and dip everything in it.

it's driven by his nightmares of ass rape

Are you retard?

Anyone know where I can cop that stuffed kitty? Or a name (of the cat not the chink)? :3

How is Jiro able to focus so narrowly on just making Sushi? Does he have no desire to read books, watch movies or travel the world?

>So that's it? What, we some kind of Dreams of Sushi?
I have a harder time understanding how normies learn how to get into more than one narrowly defined interest. All that shit you described would just stress me out desu.

>he spent a lot of time doing the same thing! this means I have to respect him and his "dedication"

of course the generation that thinks wasting time playing videogames to hone their "skillz" would think like that

>uh you don't know it's actually really difficult

t. someone who has never done it

>he spent a lot of time doing the same thing! this means I have to respect him and his "dedication"

of course the generation that thinks wasting time playing videogames to hone their "skillz" would think like that

besides it's in the fucking subway with the door hanging open

how the hell do they keep the bum piss smell out?

>defending nip food, literally soy: the cuisine
>soyboy posting

This, and people who waste that much money on raw fish don't want to regret it so they convince themselves the price was justified.

111.999%
Meaning it's an absolute scam and then some.
Seriously though, that face gets me every time. It's the stare of inducing credibility or doubt to an otherwise easily determined shady deal/situation.. to put the full load of judgement upon the customer (sap or sucker, whichever you prefer to be called) without giving any signs or evidence that may blow your cover

I think this is along the lines of "moral disengagement". Pretty much sums up Jiro
From what I hear it's a common personality trait in japan as well. Notice that Jiro the owner of Sup Forums is the same way

He's so obviously a scam, there isn't much at all to making sushi. Once you have the techniques down pat all that matters is the quality of the ingredients and I doubt his ingredients are any higher quality than other upper tier sushi places

Japan is clean

One of the most popular documentaries on Netflix is Jiro Dreams of Sushi. One of the least popular is Jiro's Nightmares of Ass Rape.

My sister seems to think so, she spends month at a time in Japan for business, her being in the sake business. Expensive and overpriced.

>soy: the cuisine
>the food that raised the samurai, the kamikaze, and that one guy who kept fighting WWII 30 years after V-J day

>soy: the cuisine
>the food that raised generations of autists with impotent rage

>impotent rage
>fucked up America's navy
>spirit so unbreakable it was feared by their enemies
>to the point that dropping atom bombs on them was considered to be an appropriate action to avoid actually invading the mainland

I don't think we dropped the atom bombs on Japan because they were such impressive enemies. I think it was more a matter of you needed to drop the atom bomb on someone to establish early on that you were the nation who had legitimate nuclear firepower with extreme real world destruction and loss of life ensuring nobody doubts you.
I honestly can't imagine an alternative history where someone invented the atom bomb and it wasn't used on an opposing nation.

Well of course it was really a power play, but the public thought that it was a legitimate action to avoid having to fight the Japanese on their homeland.

After the initial stages of the war the Japs just kept getting their shit pushed in. Shit equipment, shit doctrine and shit commanders. The only thing they excelled at was fighting spirit and war crimes. It's like praising ISIS for being a great military.

so you tellin me... this muhfucka dream..... of SUSHI?

I'm not praising their fucking military, I'm praising their spirit.

my gardener is passionate about watering flowers but I don't see movies about it

I got you covered, senpai.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_There

>and its all thanks to soy!

Eat a yellow micropenis faggot

I never said it was thanks to soy (where is the soy in fish, rice and pickled vegetables?), just that calling them soyboys when they had such spirit is ridiculous. Is the only non-soy food cheesburgers?

He somehow got people to say its the best sushi ever and it perpetuated until people don't want to disagree because it will make them look uncultured or low class.

He's an autist

>having to pay hundred dollars just to have a 10-20min dinner of small rice and fish
Such a scam

That's basic Japan. Jiro is modern Japanese culture rolled into a subway kiosk.

Why do we have threads about this every single day

only soy boy cucks like sushi. sushi sauce has soy in it.

Is there a blind taste test with sushi? I'm willing to bet people can't tell the fucking difference most of the time.

Soyboys hate the high sodium count of soy sauce. Kikkoman is exempt.

>Hey smoothskin

are there any other documentaries like this? doesn't have to be about food.

fuck off poojung

He's a scam artist and sushi is the fast food of gookland. College students can cook rice, fuck even kids can and any person with a sharp knife can cut fish. Oh wait he rubs soy sauce on it with a paint brush.

INB4: "Hurr its the preparation"
There's more prep work in making a good burger, salad, sandwich,ect. Sushi is just wash the rice, cook the rice, Cool the rice, cut the fish, put fish and rice together and add soy sauce, maybe a few other veggies but fuck you if you think prepping veggies is hard.

Reminder that when people/kids are learning to cook they always start off with rice and master it after 1 or 2 trys.

The one about sunglasses being a scam. I think it's on YT

unless you are an idiot with bad taste, you can easily tell wich sushi is good

but could you honestly tell the difference between a $50 piece of sushi and a $120 piece of sushi? I seriously doubt it
I love a really good steak but after $70 there's some serious diminishing returns

SHOW ME

Just another "artist" that is given too much credit. I'm sure. All art is bullshit in its worth. It's mostly just a bunch of fags with too much money.

He earned 3 Michelin stars, so he must be good. Plebs who disagree are just dumb.

is this a joke post or real

this is like saying there can't be gourmet hamburgers because all you know is McDonalds. you probably only eat shit from kroger

IDK but it's a cute kitty desu

Why is her neck so much more creased than mine?

Though I like Japan but I think threads like these have some merits in them. Japan is over worshipped sometimes

i make 3000 dollars a week and have eaten at his restaurant. Worth every penny.

Of course it's a scam.

The only ingredient that can actually have variation is the rice. Because if I go to the same market as him, and pick out the same quality fish, or even if he picks out the fish for me, it will taste exactly the same.

The fish isn't prepared, marinated, cooked, or whatever have you. It's cut raw. So no matter who cuts it, the fish will taste identical.

>Completely destroys both his sons hopes and dreams, forcing them to become sushi chefs

Was it autism?

I ENJOYED THIS POST

Not that user you're replying to, but he has a point. It all has to do with the fact that there is so little to sushi that being "the greatest" sushi chef is a little silly.

If Gordon Ramsay challenges me to cook beef wellington, and says that he will purchase all the groceries and give me full use of his kitchen, I would still be unable to produce a beef wellington as perfect as his. Especially not within the first 10 tries.

However, if I perform this same contest with Jiro, my sushi would taste identical to his because it's JUST RAW FISH. The preparation involved in creating beef wellington is leagues above the preparation involved in creating sushi at any level.

If I used the same cut of tuna, and stole rice from his cooker, our sushi would taste identical. This statement is not true in Gordon's case. I cannot steal all of his ingredients and create the same dish.

This is why being "the best" sushi chef is a scam.

you are wrong. all things equal, your sushi would be inferior to Jiro's. you really think you could make sushi better than an old fuck doing it his entire life?

Would would Jiro be doing that's so different to user?

im happy as fuck with my local $20 rolls and some beers. fuck would i pay 800 for lol?

its authentic Japanese made

Holy shit is it organic too?
Reminder every pizza in USA is 100% shit because its not Italian.

All American pizza is notoriously shit, but not for that reason

>foodfags will worship a guy for serving raw fish

Fuck Jiro and his autism, I'd take a kebab over his shit any time.

I say that my sushi and his sushi would be indistinguishable if we used the same ingredients, had access to the same tools, and I was able to watch him.

I have 0 training making sushi, but my sushi would be identical because there is no preparation to it.

He chooses the perfect fish and the perfect rice and all of that. But if a person had access to those same ingredients, their sushi would be identical because that's all there fucking is to it.

There isn't any troubleshooting to it.

If I were facing Gordon in a beef wellington contest, or a hollandaise sauce contest, or a pressed pork belly contest, I would lose even if Gordon guided me step by step with his own hand picked ingredients and kitchen.

Jiro isn't making rolls or maki that can fall apart and has to look pretty. He's making nigiri sushi that is literally just fish atop a thumb sized block of rice.

it is, you dont know what good pizza even tastes like.

t. 27yo italian

Anyway, back to topic. I ate sushi both in Italy (made by italians, chinese and japanese), US and Japan.
I could tell the difference to a blind test right away.

I never ate at Jiro's, but I'm it would taste better than any other I ate before.
Is i worth it? No. No food is worth a $800 pricetag imo. Should people be able to enjoy it? Of course, it's their life/money/mouth.

Now shit the f up, children.

with his sweaty hands too

Because Asian women demonstrate subservience by looking down, which causes the skin at the front of the neck to scrunch up. She's been doing that her entire life.