Which is your favorite comic book version of Batman?

Batman (maybe more so than any other hero) had lots of awesome stories and runs over the years by people like O'Neil, Moore, Miller, Morrison, Snyder, King, Dini, Tomasi, Dixon, Moench, Grant, Barr, Brubaker, Rucka, etc. Which version of Batman is your favorite, and why? (Not in terms of how good the stories were, but how they portrayed Batman).

I'm partial to Morrison's version, because even though he is still a man tormented by his demons, he can put them behind, and concentrate on the mission. His Bruce has a kind of dry humor, and flashes of the 'hairy chested love god' international playboy (especially during Inc.). He isn't a loner, and realises and accepts the importance of his allies. He is still a larger than life, sort of swashbuckling figure. I very much prefer it to Snyder's Angry Batman or King's PTSD Batman.

Why is it strange that I like Morrison's Batman and Zack Snyder's Batman?

Why do comic fans around here think that because Snyder has Batman kill (cough cough Burton) that he can't be intriguing as a character?

Yes I know it's not your topic, but the shitposting about Snyder is just nuts, and as a guy who owns all of Morrison's BatEpic I think my opinion is worth something.

Year One Hundred is great btw. Haven't read Earth One.

Batman: Snow is a personal favorite.

I just realized I used so called "reddit spacing".
Oh well.

Yeah Morrison for me too. I also dig O'Neil a lot and I'm giving a shoutout to Milligan. Also, Dini(for the most part) and Grant are very good.

I hate Rucka's with a passion. I also dislike Dixon, Tomasi and Brubaker. Moench is super bland.

>Batman: Snow is a personal favorite.
Just... why?

I agree with everything you said. I love Batman Snow, basically anything by Seth Fisher.

Earth One is just ok. It's pretty tho.

The art mate. The art is so beautiful.
I kinda trailed off and forgot you were talking about Batman's personality, but he's pretty classic Blue and Yellow Bats in Snow.

Gothic is my fav

>classic Blue and Yellow Bats
In Snow, Batman is not only incompetent but also retarded. He puts his (superfluous) team in danger and acts like an asshole throughout the entire story.
The art also gets wonky at times and besides, most of the book is just people talking...and not saying anything interesting. Compare the art in this to Willworld and it's night and day.

Re: Snyder's Batman killing: I'm not sure Snyder's intent was to show Batman killing (I take it you are talking about the car shooting scenes?), but to show how he is a hardened, and ruthless vigilante now. You can bullshit that 'Batman calculated how the bullets or the car won't kill anyone', but I don't really care about that.

To me, it's very much in line with the TDKR Batman, which I've never really liked because he was too sour and joyless for me. Like I've said in the OP, my favorite version is the 'swashbuckling, larger than life' Batman, who isn't rooted in realism. Maybe that's why I'm not the biggest fan of any gritty Batman.

I like the color palette/scheme of Snow better than Willworld tho.

Pencils are much better in Willworld. And he also gets to let loose in the latter while the former is just people talking for 80% of the time. The remaining 20% does look good.

OP here.

Why do you dislike Tomasi? Is it the stories or the character? For me, his Batman is almost the same as Morrison's, especially the Batman-Damian relationship ('THOU SHALT NOT KILL, DAMIAN!).

I'm disagreeing, i'm just saying that winter-y vibes interest me more than the green/psychedelic vibe of Willworld.
Willworld still looks better even color wise than 99% of superhero comics tho.

i'm NOT disagreeing*
dammit

Not him, but his Batman is completely dislikable.

Morrison's Batman has some serious issues, but I still find him better than Tomosi's.

i should preface by saying that while i am a huge Batman fan, theres alot of his older runs i haven't read, which makes sense giving how much there is.

Art style: Jim Lee
Writing: Frank Miller (year one, not TDKR)

Legends of the Dark Knight has a bunch of stories i want to read though so maybe ill find a writer i like more than miller or morrison on the character

I like O'Neil's Batman

Because he's a bad writer and he just rehashes shit.

paul pope, batmam year 100

yea boi, thats ma shit

Year 100 is the greatest Batman story

This is the major problem with Snyder: He cannot actually control his vision. It's pretty clear that Batman was supposed to kill in the movie. The whole narrative thrust revolves around him branding people as an indirect death sentence and how that is a step too far and a sign that he's loosing it, but because Snyder wanted an over the top badass chase scene where Batman explicitly and directly kills people, he completely invalidated what the script was trying to do with the character. Same with Superman punting that guy through a wall.

As for myself, I feel Morrison's Batman is the one I'm closest too, although having seeing bits and pieces of O'Neil's Batman, I have a feeling I'd enjoy him if I were to read him in entirety.

Lately I've developed an affinity for Batman the detective, something I feel has been pretty overlooked since I've started reading comics anybody know any good Batman detective stories?

>Same with Superman punting that guy through a wall.
I don't agree with this.

Shame no one talks about it Popes Batman is a good mixture if larger than life but still mostly just a man in a bat costume im also a fan of Morrisons Batman for the reasons OP listed and I also like Azzarello Batman whose on the Milller spectrum of crazy

How so?

That doesn't go against Superman's narrative in the film at all.
It fits with people in the film's problem with him
>You went in there chasing a dangerous story and Superman acted like a rogue combatant to rescue you.

We really need more dystopian future Batman stories Year 100 and Damian's future in Morrisons run were grear

Miller's Batman on the Dark Knight Returns is my favorite.

Yeah, it's the most well known Batman story, but that doesn't change that it's how I like my Batman. I like his dry humor, I like stubbornness, and like the fact that you can see elements of his swashbuckling O'Neil/Adams past.

There's something so very genuine about that Bruce which I adore.

Also, a big fan of Batman in Morrison's run too, and I adore how Capullo draws Batman.

>Batman the detective

Detective Comics 572: The Doomsday Book
One of my favorites

I always wondered why people formatted their posts like this

I'm that guy, and I usually so it when i'm typing fast/stressed out.
I start thinking that people won't see my words if I don't space them out.

Make a point. go onto the next paragraph with a backspace. I don't think its so much "reddit" spacing as it is how you'd put it out if you were chatting on facebook or the like. Rather than dumping a wall of text (on a tiny FB messenger) you send lots of little bitsize chunks. Doesn't work like that on Sup Forums.

Any story were kelley jones pencils

these two are probably my favorite comic pages ever, from Morrison's Batman 683 (fished from google)
someone should storytime 682-683, I'm too lazy right now

My man.

that's awesome, too
do you have the ending to 'Time and the Batman'?

Nope, but have this.

Yes, this one is unique. It has a special place.

it's Miller. it'll always be Miller.

Why is Jim Lee Batman fucking Caveman Ape Batman in the left buttcheek?

Unironically the ASBAR version.

It be, how he do.

the better question is why are young Bruce and Alfred watching it?

I like Tomasi Batman, a grumpy guy trying to be a dad and dish out vengeneance.