If Spawn is the most 90s comic character, who is the most 80s? punk Storm?

If Spawn is the most 90s comic character, who is the most 80s? punk Storm?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1BsjRemMYtg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Venom?

Nope that guys is pure 90's, some poeple even say that Todd McFarlane draws the best Venom

Soundwave

Punisher

That album is fucking goat, along with the Crow and Blade

Well, McFarlane did create the character after all... not that I prefer his design by any stretch.

This or Vibe.

When I think "90s" I think of Wolverine. Not Spawn.

DKR Batman. Maybe Punisher.

When I think 90s, I think of Lobo

When I think of 90s, I think of Youngblood.

I haven't heard that name in a while here

I'd say Robocop, but he is not primarily a comic book character.

Actually, now that I think of it, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would be pretty defining of the 80s. Urban hiphop/punk culture, pizza, COWABUNGA, silly cartoon tie-ins designed to sell toys.

Anyone remembers blood wulf?

Amethyst

That was such a cool album. Only good thing to come from that shitty movie.

Yeah it would have to be some ninja, either TMNT or Snake Eyes.

Is never going to be a series, but the pilot of shitty apple and onion randomhumor is choose to be the new series

When I think 90's I think of Cable

GI Joe had nothing of the 80s other than being a toy tie-in cartoon with a lot of ham, and the whole super commandos fighting evil ones.

TMNT had ninjas, urban pink/hiphop, mutants, giant anthropomorphic animals, cartoon driven toy sales, a hockey mask wearing psycho, vigilantism, teens with an attitude, weird space travel, robots... they are much more an element of their era.

Snowflame. Literally powered by COCAINE.

GI Joe is the most Reagan years thing ever though, it's the Red Dawn of Sup Forums

I just recently noticed this.

Did you forget the queen of the 80's hair?

Candidates from animation:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
He Man
ThunderCats
Ghostbusters
Jem.
Gi Joe
Macross/Robotech
Transformers

Candidates from the Comics
The Beyonder
Symbiote Spiderman
Watchmen
Dark Knight Returns batman

Considered but rejected because they're intoo many other eras.
Duck Tales
Alvin and the Chipmunks

Lobo was more 80's.

The fuck are you smoking?

He ain't technically wrong.

Lobo is Kiss the superhero you can't be more 80's than that, god i love "I was made for lovin' you"

KISS was 70s, they faded away in the 80s

He was created in the 80's and his first redesign was specifically as a parody of late 80's edge.

Shut your mouth, they're always going to be cool and Sup Forums relevant

Sup Forums-relevant? Yes.

Cool? I don't think those proto-juggalos were ever really considered "cool" by more than a handful of people.

Spawn defines the 90s because it never escaped the 90s

I thought this would've been obvious.

This is my favorite song off that album:

youtube.com/watch?v=1BsjRemMYtg

Kiss are not juggalos just a variation of Glam, the make up, the permanent, you know all that stuff

Did any of us really scaped the 90's user

I love a lot of the 80s KISS material personally, and the fact that they looked utterly ridiculous half the time (somehow more ridiculous than with the makeup) only adds to my enjoyment of that era

Just like how ICP rode their generation's popular bullshit (white trash rappers, backyard wrestling) into a small but violently dedicated fanbase.

I like their 80s music too, but that's despite the fact that only hardcore KISS fans gave a shit throughout the decade. They were old hat by then and couldn't keep up with the young bucks coming out of Cali at the time.

>they looked utterly ridiculous half the time (somehow more ridiculous than with the makeup) only adds to my enjoyment of that era
Sometimes i think the whole point of the 80's was that you must eliminate shame and embarrassment in order to be cool in that decade

It was just the cocaine.

Mountains of cocaine.

>some people even say that Todd McFarlane draws the best Venom
I prefer Larsen

40s: Superman of course
50s: The Flash
60s: Fantastic Four
70s: Luke Cage/Iron Fist/Shang Chi
80s: Rorschach, DKR Batman, Punisher,
90s: Cable/Spawn

>that jaw
Good gravy, that's some Violater tier shit

What the hell was with the 90s and gigantic jaws?

It's creepy, like seeing a snake stretch it's jaw super wide

I feel like if I should reach in and grab some money out of it, then push it shut

>What the hell was with the 90s and gigantic jaws
thisand McFarlane's insistance on samey character design

Does McFarlane have autism?

>McFarlane's insistance on samey character design

It's been a bit, but I feel like Spawn was full of varied character designs. I especially love how he draws the violator in his fat clown body

Also here's McFarlane drawn by Dan Clowes, because the internet is a strange beast

But Lobo is the most 90's character.

Jubilee

>Lobo is the most 90's character

I mean Lobo is just a parody of the dark antiheores popular at Marvel int he late 80's. He's a mix of Wolverine Ghost Rider, and The Punisher.

Also there's too much humor in Lobo comics to represent the 90's, I mean look at Spawn or Youngblood. They're both ridiculous as shit, but there is zero self awareness and every thing is handled with next to no humor. When I first read Spawn I was surprised how much time he spends just moping in an alley.

Meanwhile Savage Dragon is cracking jokes

53 replies and no one mentions her..

I think TMNT stands above the other candidates. The kitchen sink approach to world building really defines the 80s. And the independent publishers of the 80s were pretty unique to the decade, occupying a time when creators were really pushing for independence but before the shenanigans in the 90s that crashed the market.

I'm not overly familiar with the character, but she looks pretty 70's to me at least in that image, seems to be a disco theme more than anything

>seems to be a disco theme more than anything
that's literally her whole character, initially at least

Todd McFarlane is a piece of shit if you knew him personally. I condemn him and anything he touched.

Fuck Todd.

You uh....know him personally?

Also, just because both McFarlane and Kiss have been brought up ITT, I used to love these figures

idgaf about the man but the toy lines were amazing

Go to bed Neil, you're drunk.

Funny thing, the toys were single handedly the only thing that got me into Spawn

I was born in 1989 so I was certainly a kid while Spawn was popular, but as far as I was concerned the only super heroes that mattered were Marvel characters and Batman, but I used to see Spawn toys at the store and was kind of jealous that they looked so cool so that's the only reason I ended up watching the movie and buying some random Spawn comics and eventually caught the show on HBO when my parents werent home and loved it

>Spawn comics and eventually caught the show on HBO
best thing to come out of the franchise

The Season 2 of the Iron Man cartoon version of Tony Stark for the intro alone.

>not Trip Like I Do

Disappointed, user. But yeah, God tier OST and great song.

Has anyone watched the Savage Dragon animated series? I've been wondering if it's worth watching but no one talks about Savage Dragon anywhere period and there's pretty much no imdb reviews, is it like the HBO Spawn series or is it bland kiddie shit?

What young bucks came out of Cali at the time?

She still is, girl should expand her music library and looks.

Is Speed metal Dazzler to much to ask for?

Not that user, but Van Halen and the whole LA scene that blew up and the hair metal movement as a whole I'd imagine

In a weird way though, that whole thing also possibly helped allow Kiss to keep existing even if they were older and not as "hip" as those bands at the time, because many of those bands took a lot of their cues from Kiss(heavy on the visuals and outlandish outfits, emphasis on celebtratory and decadent themes, anthemic songs about having a good time and rock n roll etc), so it wasn't very hard for them to kind of continue alongside them and unlike in the 70s when they were largely the "freaks" of rock music who most of the older or more respected bands thought were a joke, in the 80s they were the heroes of a lot of the younger bands coming out

>If Spawn is the most 90s comic character,

That's debatable.

I don't know, Carnage is definitely a character who thrived in the 90s but is he really all that 90s himself? He's basically just a serial killer archetype with a super suit, I feel like he could have been popular in the 80s too had he been invented earlier, Spawn is not only brooding and angsty, but also a cool black badass guy prior to getting dead