Is there still a market for 2D animated films, or is it completely dead?

Is there still a market for 2D animated films, or is it completely dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_(2017_film)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If 2D platformers still scratch an itch, 2D movies will.

There's a market, sure, but not enough one to justify the monstrous cost difference between them and 3D films.

it's mainstream dead until one fluke movie comes out an is a critical and box office success

Better question: Does Anime satisfy that demand for U.S. moviegoers?

I know a lot of people are hyped for Your Name coming out in theaters.

I hate how Sup Forums is constantly complaining about the lack of traditional animation and about CalArt but ignore anything remotely obscure.

Because unlike most normies, Sup Forums still remembers the Cartoon Cartoons era.

There is a market, just like there's a market for adult CGI animated movies like Sausagefest.

Issue, there's waaaayyyy bigger of a market in CGI kids movies. You live in a world where Trolls made over 300 million dollars, unfortunately, so putting money into rebuilding a 2D studio would be a waste if it's not successful, even Disney finally let all their major players go and shut down the studio.

japan

People want a big movie to see like the kind they grew up with.

Why did Disney waste their last shot at 2D animation with that awful Princess and Frog movie?

>You live in a world where Trolls made over 300 million dollars

I'm a crossboarder. Are you fucking kidding me?

I usually just assume that any non-Disney CGI animated film is a critical flop.

Did anything from the 2D version of Frozen survive?

>there are peoples on this board who are so clueless about animation that they believe that PatF was the last traditionally animated Disney film

>the other film was a remake of a 70s disney movie

There's probably a niche market. I mean someone is importing anime right? A portion of that has to be people who just like traditional animation.

These are only feature films. Also, Winnie the Pooh was great!

It never went away. 3D is only a thing because it's cheaper.

>more crappy shonen anime movies
damn, literally the capeshit of anime why do you all continue to support one piece and naruto, they'll never let it end cause everyone buys the shlock

List of good Western 2D animated features released in 2016:
>Dofus - Book I: Julith
>Window Horses
>The Red Turtle
>Ethel & Ernest
>Louise by the Shore
>Nerdland
>The Girl Without Hands

Think anyone will ever try making another big budget biblical animated film? It'd be funny as fuck to see Illumination or Blue Sky try to fit pop culture references into the bible.

Unfortunately our last hope seems to be the mlp movie

>Illumination
>Blue Sky

No thanks

They died in like 2004. 2004 was the last breath for 2D animated movies, as well as seemingly the last year for 90s holdover culture in general.

In 2004 we still had the Spongebob movie, Teacher's Pet, and Home on the range. By 2005 there were no 2D movies in theaters at all.

So what happened to all the animators that worked on these? Where are they now?

Redline, man.

Japan is a self sustained market, if anything it is market for anime, not "2D" as a whole, as a medium.

Though in Imageboard lingo, when people talk about 2 it usually means Anime. When people try to sell non Japanese drawn shit there, it bombs horribly.

THE POWER OF RAH

Talked with my parents yesterday; they loved Dexter's Lab, Batman:TAS, Powerpuff, Johnny Bravo, and Samurai Jack

The problem isn't directly cost, but that it's a lost industry in the same way that we've lost capacity in manufacturing. Restarting theatrical level animation at one of the major studios would involve assembling expertise, retraining of animators, rebuilding production pipelines, and other capital investments in hardware that would only make sense if the studio continues to pump out 2D movies at a regular interval.

Japan is able to keep doing this because, in addition to higher number of skilled labor, high demand, and efficient cost saving practices, they never lost capacity. They were able to adapt to market realities and work within them.

>I usually just assume that any non-Disney CGI animated film is a critical flop.

Trolls was certified Fresh on RT.

Prince of Egypt had a lower budget than a lot of the 3D stuff coming out these days.

>3D is only a thing because it's cheaper.

>This meme somehow still survives
CGI is a fuckload more expensive than 2D is. To date, no 2D feature, even adjusted for inflation, has EVER crossed 130 million production budget alone. There has not been a single CGI Disney film in the New Wave(Starting with Tangled) that managed to cost less than 150 million. Tangled was 260 million.

NUT

>$260 million

What the fuck? Why did it cost so much?

I thought i had more to do with 3D films making a gorillion dollars, while 2D films only made a million

anime

Tangled was in preproduction for a very long time, and was essentially an R&D project. The technologies and techniques they developed carried over to later films.

2D animation is superior sooooo yeah, it's probably dead in both cartoons and anime 3D animation ruined the new Berserk series

Meander.

>the new berserk series
Don't fucking remind me. I had a faint glimmer of hope. For fuck's sake they even went back over the (mostly) hand-animated footage they used for the reveal trailer and made it CGI for the goddamned actual show. Who DOES that?

>Batman:TAS
>Cartoon Cartoons

Viva la France.

noot

How is it that 2D is mostly dead theatrically but stop-motion still seems to be hanging on?

As a matter of fact, there is a mainstream 2D animated movie coming out this year. Too bad we can't talk about it on Sup Forums. :^)

Better vote le pen then.

The MLP movie will revive theatrical 2D animation.

>vote for a pro-ruskie cuck

>Think anyone will ever try making another big budget biblical animated film?

Actually,

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_(2017_film)

Dont worry, My Little Pony: the Movie will save the mainstream 2D animation!

What do you think the reception will be?