What's with the recent trend of depicting male characters as broken, vulnerable and emotionally messed up?

What's with the recent trend of depicting male characters as broken, vulnerable and emotionally messed up?

Women in movies are also becoming more stronger and a bit more masculine. I rarely see the damsel in distress type of female characters anymore in movies, whilst in the early 2000s, this was the norm.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_perception
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I wonder

It's more true to life, save women being strong.
In reality both men and women are fucked up emotional wrecks no matter where you go.

soy

I guess you're right but there's one thing where emotional man is portrayed but does nothing and another where emotions serve as character development.

Character driven stories are all the rage.

>he thinks his dad hasn't cried alone at night because of the failure his son has turned out to be

Triggered

he's dead, killed by jews.

It was about mortality and maturity, can we put the cooties grade school bullshit aside for one fucking moment these days holy shit.
On another note I never noticed the X blood stain on his forhead.

The thing is, I rarely see emotionally messed up or vulnerable female characters in film anymore. Maybe I'm just watching the wrong movies?

The things is that every female is emotionally messed up and vulnerable

Do you think we will ever get a female Logan?

But that's X-23

>recent

The emotional instability is implicit with the feminine penis. Do they really need to spell everything out for you?

wat

/thread

Wolverine is a chick now and she is stronger than hugh jackman ever will be with half the weight and 2/3rds of his claws because womyn are just as strong as men

>broken, vulnerable and emotionally messed up?
you mean normal adults?

fuck off

>he thinks she is anywhere near Wolverine proper's powerlevel

Because writing teams are almost all female now due to diversity hiring. Search up the writing team for most movies that came out this year and see

A real man bottles his feelings up then takes them out on the furniture/wife/children in private.

This could all be true but who cares? There's only one wolverine that people will ever care about

I like it because i think men being vunrable is deep. And what are you talking about? Women are always bitching and crying in films still.

Not him, but I've never got that, if your son is a failure, it's only your fault as a parent, no one else. There's a reason why successful people who are hard but fair with their children make successful people out of them and why lazy fatasses produce lazy fatasses, very very barely will a child of a lazy fatass turn out to be a successful person and the only time this happens is when the child has an genetically high IQ, while the average IQ child of the successful people will always be successful.

If your child isn't successful with 25, it's your fucking fault and you failed as a parent.

>t. failure

Yes, and then they'll have to get a male one again after she shits up her own solo movies and various team stories.

The whole fun thing of Logan is that he's a throw-back man's man. Everyone else is PC, so he can be the bullshit buster.

Maybe because psychological depth is more interesting than stereotyped cardboard characters?

Sorry, but it is a fact. When we are born, we are basically all the same, we have no clue about right and wrong, we have no depression, we are pure.
The only people who teach us how to live are our parents and teachers, if your teachers are assholes your parents are responsible to make you into a decent successful person, if you fail in your 20s: the absolute entire fault of your parents and no one else, look at bad unsuccessful people, they ALWAYS have bad parents, there was NEVER a case where good parents with the right teaching method made unsuccessful people, not even once, all my successful friends have people around them who have no mental illness and have friendships with their siblings, all unsuccessful people I know suffer from bad education from their parents, have mental illness and were abused (either sexually or violently) by their siblings, so they turned out to be anxious people who are afraid of everything because their brain got fucked up on early age.

So I don't get why people say it's the persons fault if he/she is a loser, it's 99,99% of the time the result of bad education and parents should be forced to the court for that stuff or should commit suicide to make at least one honorful thing in their life.

>parents should take responsibility for their actions
>but if i fucked up it's their fault not mine
t. failure

Again, look at the statistics about that exact field, they all say that in almost 100% of all cases, bad lazy people produce bad lazy people.

>the only time this happens is when the child has an genetically high IQ
>When we are born, we are basically all the same

>inb4 not the same person
You still called what he said a "fact". Also you might want to learn how to write properly before playing the armchair psychologist, and drop the anecdotal evidence.

>tabula rasa-fag
genes matters a lot

I'm not a native, sorry.

Have you ever read a book or hell, even seen any films that aren't blockbuster popcorn action flicks?

>Most male characters are real, with imperfections, vulnerability and some emotional issues and are well written, mostly.
>Most female characters are mostly one-dimensional, somewhat objectified mary sues because they need to adhere to a feminist power fantasy or else people will get triggered.

Even in this post-modern age, feminism can't win.

Yes, but with the right education you can turn a average intelligent person into a successful person.

Your bias has distorted your view of film

>being this assblasted at your parents because you turned out to be a miserable failure piece of shit

Just because we are the same when we are born it doesn't mean that our development is the same. Wait why am I explaining this in the year 2017

>right education you can turn a average intelligent person into a successful person.
doubt it, just like bill gates son wont achieve the same amount like bill.

You should check this out
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_perception

>What's with the recent trend of depicting male characters as broken, vulnerable and emotionally messed up?

funnily enough this appeals to women

Yeah, fuck Die Hard.

Again, there is no single successful person with good education skills who's child turned out to be a failure. All losers have loser parents.

>Read book

We are talking about films here

I don't watch much art house films anymore, too busy. But I usually watch what ever movie has high rating on metacritics or RT, and for the last few year I've noticed this.

Put it this way, do you think we will ever see a movie where the female character goes through the same tribulation, tragedies and anguish, and mental illness/insanity as characters like Logan?. I've rarely seen movies that explore female mental illness, or how women succumb to their demons in an unflattering way.

>recent trend
Taxi driver came out in 1976 user

Men have always expressed emotion in film. Try watching something that isn't Hollywood action schlock sometime.

I get your point but still, if you just dislike school and hate studying/sitting in class and other school stuff, no amount of good parenting would make you like school

Men have shown vulnerability in film for years. Watch something besides capeshit and you'll find plenty more examples from as early as the 40's.

>being this deluded

The trend mirrors the overall direction of social engineering in the West. The feminization of men and masculization of women breaks down the historical sexual roles which have always been the foundation of the family, the only institution strong enough to consistently resist the State.

I'm just waiting for the collective stronk womyn delusion to reach maximum crazy so they'll start plowing women into infantry companies wholesale and sending them into battle in WW3.
Not only will they be begging to reverse a century of feminism after a few thousand of them are mulched into guts, the guro material will also be insane.

This thread is so fucking soy, holy shit

It's because of the cancerous zero-sum mentality of western culture. People in the west are unable to have both strong male characters and strong female characters. You can only have one at the expense of the other now.

People just can't handle damsels in distress and strong women, there can't be shows with women portrayed in a negative light airing alongside those with men shown in a negative light as well. It has to either be, "men good, women helpless" or "men bad, women strong." Just look at shit like Game of Thrones to see it in full effect.

/ur life

Noticed this too. Characters that literally just can't "fight back", like Eugene in TWD or Samwell in GOT.

>hurr I'm a coward therefore I can't do literally anything to fight back

>recent

Pick up a couple of black and white noir films from the early to mid 1900s and the come back.

That's actually one of my favorite archetypes, the wounded male that protects the ones he loves. Stuff like Drive or Interstellar.

>i only listen to RT and metacritic

This is bait.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO GARY COOPER THE STRONG SILENT TYPE, THAT WAS AN AMERICAN

whenever I see or hear about this movie a raspberry is immediately blowing in my head

what an indulgent pile of shit