JSA Storytime: Manhunter

Good evening owls,

I think this is right, I think

Why does next Wednesday have almost no good titles?

What was good because I haven't read fucking anything this week or made it to my LCS

I *did* have a quality hangover, thank you

I earned it

5th week is always awful

Iron Man (Tony Stark and Riri Williams) – written by Brian Michael Bendis
-Spider-Man (Peter Parker and Miles Morales) – Brian Michael Bendis
-Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers and Kamala Khan) – G. Willow Wilson
-Thor (Odinson and Jane Foster) – Jason Aaron
-Hawkeye (Clint Barton and Kate Bishop) – Kelly Thompson
-Hulk (Bruce Banner and Amadeus Cho) – Greg Pak
-Jean Grey (young and older) – Dennis Hopeless
-Wolverine (Logan and X23) – Tom Taylor
-Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell and Carol Danvers) – Margie Stohl
-Captain America (Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson) – Nick Spencer

fucking nothing.jpg

it's a fifth week

The Booster Gold/Flintstones should be pretty cool if nothing else

Deathstroke was pretty good

Hal n Pals was fine if you like Kyle wank

I think an issue of Hydra Cap came out and the Foolkiller finale too

I'm not spoiling myself on either Foolkiller or Tom Scioli: Amazing Madman

I did read all eight leaked pages of Snagglepuss, and my Twitter feed was uniformly "JESUS CHRIST HOWIE CHAYKIN"

So what's the more likely outcome of these and Generations in general?

>There are more shared mantle titles ala Nova
>There'll be two books for several characters, like Logan/All New Wolverine or Hawkeye/Occupy Avengers, etc
>They'll put half the "mentor" characters back on the shelf afterwards and keep pushing the legacies
>They'll shelve the legacies and go back to the older characters in the forefront

Are these one-shots for Generations or something? Behind on news

(this is a Bad Idea)

That Snagglepuss story was beautiful, I can't wait for that book

and yeah I got a kick out of Chaykin being Chaykin

Foolkiller had a really strong ending. Also, one of my fav guest appearances in a while.

That's some gooood Diana characterization.

they're one shots or minis (not really clear?) for Generations yeah

I'm guessing they'll be relaunching a bunch of the related books afterwards though

Foolkiller and Hulk were good.

All we know is "it's not an EVENT" and "ITS NOT TIME TRAVEL GUYS"

We barely know any details, other than there are at least ten issues being written

You know, I'll say this for it--pretty much all of the HB books have felt very personal and specific with a strong angle from the creative on them, and I appreciate how fucking loony DC is letting individuals go there compared to how massaged and middle-roaded most of the Marvel stuff feels right now.

The more I am seeing of what's coming with the next relaunch, the less I want it. They've learned nothing.

Thanks

Yeah not much interesting there I guess. Could be decent if it takes a "this is why our franchise is important" sort of love letter look on things though.

If we get Snagglepuss even mentioning the Old Met I might die happy

if we get a scene in standing room I will absolutely keel over dead

>superbulge.jpg

Mark Shaw was having a hell of a time

Hello, Storyteller.

We now return to Kate Spencer, Attorney at Law.

The HB books have no right to be as good as they are. Imo the group editor/HB editors are doing a fantastic job.

I get the impression that DC knew these weren't going to be big sellers no matter what they did so they might as well reach for the stars and put out something more unique

hell, Russel even said the Snagglepuss pitch was basically a joke and he couldn't believe it made it as far as it did as a pitch

Howdy OP, I'm storytiming Secret Six when you are gone, and came across a prime Katehunter page

Marie Javins and Brittany Holzherr! Who came on for Convergence and stayed on for DCYOU and is on Wild Storm.

Next week we'll get another issue of Winter Soldier: Guest starring the Thunderbolts, and I am really hoping that Zub does something to Bucky that makes his fans cry.

Howdy hey.

Aaron fully delivered on his greasy wet fart of a mystery, and it sucked every atom it was able to.
Renew Your Vows continues to be the best Spider-book since they cancelled Spider-Girl/Marvel Adventures.
I apparently missed an issue of Foolkiller that was out this week.

Roy Thomas didn't like Larry Hama, apparently, but Hama kinda half waffled about calling him out for shitting on Cultural Appropriation-fags after a night's sleep.

Oh, and it is a DAMN shame that Future Quest's hype around here died off after like, the second issue, because it is the best crossover event in years. Marvel should have let Parker run one of their big crossovers when they had the chance.

ohhh yeah that fight, Knockout vs. Barda, good stuff

Simone's fondness for Misfit: less good

speaking of a fondness for Bucky, this Manifesto, as someone who's been in fandom grumble grumble long, strikes me as completely wrong although I'm not going to go poop on its enthusiasm and you shouldn't either but it's worth talking about because I know some of you write fic

tinyurl dot com slash ksonlfc

May as well go all out with books that you know won't have a large shelf life, anyway. Snagglepuss is looking amazin already.

>-Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell and Carol Danvers) – Margie Stohl

This and the Hulk one are the only ones I'm looking forward to, but for completely different reasons.

I'm one of five people who are under 40 who likes Mar-Vell, and I'm curious how badly Stohl will shit the bed on this. If it was Fazekas/Butters, I'd be hopeful, but all I'm expecting from the team responsible for YAAS QUEEN is trash.

This page feels... exploitable.

yeah I will happily take two trades of something great over six trades of mediocre bleh

Oh shit let's talk about Aaron's resolution. That was some damp shit and ending the mini by basically saying LOL KEEP READING THE ONGOING is a deeply cynical nasty thing to do and I hope it rebounds on his ass.

What did Hama say? Busiek had some very even-handed comments about it, including some nods to Roy's very particular feelings on fidelity and more interestingly the reminder that Iron Fist was part of an entire constellation of kung fu characters who were not all whitey to say the least.

Apparently Roy Thomas told Hama once that he isn't good for anything but martial arts books and tried to get him fired off another book.

I miss Fifth Week events.

They were quick and often fun, and let them do kinda low stakes themed crossovers.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if it's another "Mar-vell comes back temporarily then dies again"

also they probably won't mention Teddy at all because why would they use him in a story that doesn't also involve Billy?

is this Firefly's fucking suit???

Andreyko would give a lot to write this book again, BTW

Either crossovers or odd one-time deals, like that time they did five war comic specials.

Marvel's Rebith Generations is not.

Rebirth got me interested again, after being driven away by pre-New52 crossovers, and by New 52 outright rejecting everything that made me care about the characters.

Generations just seems like a half assed time travel story, even if they're claiming it isn't.

Anyone here play Drakengard 3? I feel like my brain has just been gently dick-whipped in the mouth. Like if Morrison made a satire of Millar making an anime.

Nick Spencer's such an ass but I kind of want Secret Empire to be wildly successful because the bitching about it has reached such annoying levels, including "Marvel should have killed it and done something else."

>Oh shit let's talk about Aaron's resolution. That was some damp shit and ending the mini by basically saying LOL KEEP READING THE ONGOING is a deeply cynical nasty thing to do and I hope it rebounds on his ass.

Yeah that resolution was a pile of shit and there is absolutely no excuse for waiting three fucking years to reveal it

I've seen people trying to defend it but it doesn't make sense unless you enjoy circular reasoning and the smell of your own farts

Why does it always need to be either Kyle Wank or Kyle Spank?

Why does he never just get to be a competent respected Lantern who's bros with Guy?
Or at least maintain a power boost without getting shelved for lack of ideas until they depower him again?

Okay I just clicked on the first page of Foolkiller and hoily shit

that's amazing

F

Spencer is a twat on Twitter but I have been enjoying Hydra Steve a lot and Secret Empire sounds cool, plus all the delicious tears from people who hate it

Shit, I might actually end up paying money for a Marvel event. who knew

Misfit was super weird. I kind of forgot how much of a bitch that Katehunter was in those Birds of Prey issues. Then again, Simone was trying to make everyone hate Spy Smasher as hard as possible

00s Mustangs are sexy cars.

Misfit and Black Alice are very of a particular Simone type and it's one I don't want to be hard on like some people are and yet I was also once an insufferable teenage girl, I get to say shit about them

People are being straight up hysterical about this story in ways that make me want to hand everyone involved a chill pill. Every single thing it does prompts absolutely over the top overreactions from the usual suspects. Spencer isn't helping his case in any way whatsoever but I also don't blame him for reacting with 'fuck this' to the Magneto controversy in particular where people threw a huge shitfit over pure speculation.

>Why does he never just get to be a competent respected Lantern who's bros with Guy?
It'd be cool if they could go back to that now that he's Green again, but it doesn't seem like they're going that direction

Guy's going to be bros with Arkillo now, maybe Kyle can hang out with Saint Walker more since they both got dumped

that issue was a lot of Kyle wank although I think a lot of Kyle fans also hated it

Why does it always have to be the human GLs? Frankly, all six of them can go right ahead and fuck off for a while.

A German friend who reads comics was particularly brutal on some of the objections, basically arguing that either WWII is too sacred for comics to deal with now and you have to shelve Cap entirely, or you have to touch on the reality of what happened--but you can't want to keep Cap and then declare aspects off-limits.

>>superbulge.jpg

Got you covered.

That's one hell of a bulge.

that's been so useful in my folders

Well, hey, Azrael was dead for a few years by this point, and they still hadn't created the black one. Gotta keep them IPs fresh.

three pages in and Bemis is deconstructing the metatextual career of the Hood from BKV to Bendis?????

I have seen and heard way too many dick jokes today. Now it's just getting exhausting.

Busiek is probably the only person who still remembers the Sons of the Tiger, outside the people who read Deadly Hands when I ran it, so I'm not surprised he kept bringing them up, but EVERYTHING about Iron Fist shit the bed.

Who's idea was to make corporate boardroom politics the B-Plot?

If you ask me, here's what Iron Fist should've been, a Mortal Arts style Tournament. Get Iron Fist, Shang-Chi, all three Sons of the Tiger, and BS some way to get White Tiger in there as well. If you do that, you'd have a surprisingly multiracial martial arts show, two white guys, two Asian guys, a black guy, a Latino man, an Asian woman, and that's not counting the OCs.

how did Foolkiller even happen when it's so clearly For Me

Dylan is best boy

What gets to me is that it's clearly a story that will get undone and the damage to Steve as a character is minimal if not outright negated by this being the result of Kobik reality fucking him. So I don't get all the crying about him being ruined forever from Cap stans.

If you wanna talk actually ruined forever, look at Tony or Wanda.

>Anyone here play Drakengard 3? I feel like my brain has just been gently dick-whipped in the mouth. Like if Morrison made a satire of Millar making an anime.

That sounds like why I haven't gotten into Neir.

My only political reference today will be that if you're not going to cover birth control, you have to pull out

:)

I'm mostly just annoyed that it's becoming so big. I have no interest in the megacrossover shit but the ongoing has been entertaining. Wish the end was more Standoff-sized.

>How did you know it wouldn't hit me?
>I didn't. Guess it's your lucky day.
PFFT. Careful not to cut yourself on that edge, Kate.

Foolkiller is such a good example of a use of the medium, too, and by someone who is coming from outside the medium, too. The use of color contrasts and paneling in particular is great especially during the Punishersequence.

I'm surprised that Simone got away with this line

Given that Dr Trapp appears male, I guess 'he' is secretly a woman and her full name is Dr Reverrse Trapp.
Brought to you by: the Sup Forums is Bad For You Commission

That is a fair objection and I agree to it. The ongoing could be tighter than it is, but I actually kind of like the deliberate pacing and that it's focusing on shit other than just Cap. Like Best Boy Helmut.

All five issues by Talajcic, right?

this will come handy in trunks shitposting threads

>My only political reference today will be that if you're not going to cover birth control, you have to pull out
I hope you're not talking about within the context of a relationship, though.

Apparently the whole franchise is like this. Not sure if I want more or not.

>birth control
I was talking about Drakengard 3, and I frankly don't want to know what it is that you're referencing.

Did you catch up on the Cap book? Spencer is so kind to Helmut right now. Here is to him being as kind to whichever of the other Bolts he is getting his hand on.

>All five issues by Talajcic, right?
Yep. Iirc he also did some issues for Punisher Max. And Bemis already announced on his twitter that he has more Marvel projects coming.

it's a crack about the health care bill dying before even getting to a vote, jeez

It mostly sounds like they're afraid from straying from their "grounded" formula.

The joke.

My head.

Thanks for the explanation, JSAnon!

I'm not caught up on Cap but I just sniffled a bit at Foolkiller, that was satisfying and didn't foreclose on future adventures

Corporate boardroom can be exciting but the writing has to be top-notch and less dour hallway punchup

>Oh shit let's talk about Aaron's resolution.
It is SOOOO bad.
If doubt in the worth of divinity could make Thor unworthy, it'd have happened like every other issue back in the day.

>What did Hama say?

This But also that Thomas was wrong about Cultural Appropriation not being a real issue, but he backtracked on that bit in a later post, because he realizes that internet callout culture is as toxic as nerve gas and shitting on Roy isn't the moral high road.

Oh. I don't really pay much attention to politics, cause they make me want to kill myself.

totally fair

hey cranky it's your waifu

I mean, RIGHT? "Are the goods Good" is surely something that's been dealt with a million times before and Gorr was certainly nothing new on that front. IIRC user also pointed out that the timeline on Nick Fury having Actual Watcher Powers or shit was off for that to be a convincing weight on it

I loved the reading of the whole thing as a metaphor for erectile dysfunction, and with that no more talk of cocks

>Thank God I watched that Kate/Wonder Woman training vid a few dozen times

God, his dick skin must be halfway to falling off.

Hey thread! I late

HI user

Can we talk about how good Andreko's characterization of Diana is? It's like he's not retarded and realizes that the so called dichotomy people bitch about is whoreshit, and that she can be both caring and friendly while also having a warrior's spirit.

>Misfit was super weird.

She always felt like a lot of setup to no actual payoff to me.

>Mujer de la Maravilla
Pffft... that means "Woman of the Wonder."

still infinite ;___; at how Batwoman didn't work

Like, this isn't just me, but this is a big 'lol' at the difference between BKV Hood and Bendis Hood etc., right?

I'm still baffled that he fucked Batwoman up so hard, that should have been right up his alley

Circe! There's my girl!