Why are Japanese films so weird and hard to take seriously? Why is Korean and Hong Kong cinema so much better?

Why are Japanese films so weird and hard to take seriously? Why is Korean and Hong Kong cinema so much better?

That's just how you feel.

>Why is cinema so challenging?
because you're a pleb

It was kino

Radiation from the nukes

Japanese culture and society is very different from what we're used to in the west. South Korea's is too, but they're becoming more and more westernized at a rapid rate for various reasons.

Old japanese movies were great, I think the best modern movie from Japan that I have seen is Okuribito.
They have some good animations too, Satoshi Kon being my favourite.

japan is way more westernized than korea or china
the reason nip cinema is harder to understand is because they're more advanced, china and korea are further behind so they make a lot more genreshit

Because the Japanese are very weird and hard to understand, the nukes did permanent damage.
Korean cinema is miles ahead of Japan, the only good thing to come out of Japan is Kurosawa.

There has literally never been a single worthwhile film out of fucking Hong Kong.

>Enter The Dragon

>I can't take it seriously
sounds like you don't understand it
>hong kong cinema
name one good hong kong movie from the past 10 years

>name one good hong kong movie from the past 10 years
Time and Tide

This was meant for Time and Tide came out in 2000

>name one good hong kong movie from the past 10 years
A Simple Life

Have you tried turning on subtitles?

Ip Man was so epic!!!!

>for various reasons
Which are what?

>he can't take Ozu or Kurosawa seriously

korea
>chan-wook
>jee-woon
>sang-soo
>ki-duk

hong kong
>kar wai
>...? (most good china directors are taiwanese or mainland)

japan
>kurosawa
>kobayashi
>ozu
>teshigahara
>mizoguchi
>kinoshita (literally shits kino)
>ichikawa
>shindo
>shinoda
>oshima
>sono
>koreeda
>on and on

dumbass OP

>Korean and Hong Kong cinema so much better?
kek

You're going to get a lot of bullshit answers, but the actual reason is that Japanese cinema is influenced by Japanese theatre, which is very different from Western theatre. This can make Jap film impenetrable for some Westerners.

this is exactly the kind of retard-tier opinion i'd expect from someone who used battle royale as an example of japanese cinema

bitch, do you even ozu?

It's because the Japanese literally do not take themselves seriously either. Their people are a joke and they know it, they embrace it, and for that they succeed.